Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
weren't the 3080 and the 3080ti announced together

also isn't the ti like 2x the price because it has way more ram than anyone will ever use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Agile Vector posted:

i never played bos and have a lurid curiosity but all signs point to no. i didn't finish tactics for some reason that I can't remember now, but yeah it was fine. the real time mechanic was interesting but too inefficient and poorly implemented to be reliable

maybe i should play it again for nostalgias sake. i dont know I could also play wasteland 2 and 3 for the same vibes but with more refinement I suppose
yeah i made it to like the second last level of tactics. there were some neat scenarios but towards the end it gets to be some bull poo poo

i also got like 2/3-3/4 through wl2. interested in 3 but 2 was way too slow paced to replay. the canyon part was just interminable

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
It is really lovely to have such an inflexible work schedule.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

haveblue posted:

also isn't the ti like 2x the price because it has way more ram than anyone will ever use

no that's the 3090, which is a titan in all but branding. no one has said anything about a ti, but i would expect one next year if they can get a slice of tsmc's production instead of samsung

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

haveblue posted:

the 3080 and 3090 were announced together. the 3090 has about 15% better performance than the 3080 and costs more than twice as much ($1500 vs $699)

if there is a 3080ti it will have to slot between those two, getting probably no more than 10% better performance than the 3080 while costing perhaps $1000.

that's what this guy is characterizing as "blowing out of the water" and losing his poo poo about

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I once had an employee take a week off for the Mortal Kombat X release. I laughed directly into his face but still approved his pto

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the 3090 is for render workstations and microsoft flight simulator.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lol imagine needing to give a reason to take time off

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

my job:

"hey i want these days off"

"okay enjoy!"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shaggar posted:

the 3090 is for render workstations and microsoft flight simulator.

flight simulator is CPU-bound and cannot achieve more than about 90fps maxed on any hardware.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

half life 3 when. give it to us gabe you coward

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
what the gently caress is that microphone

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

bideo james

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

Wow this was worth the click

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans
being cdprojecktred is really embarassing

ive been indifferent towards bungie the last year but theres a release happening at least

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I love msfs but it is a steaming pile of HTML and JavaScript dog poo poo all the way down.

Seven segment LCD in the cockpit? That's an html5 web page. Ten of those numeric LCDs? Well, that's ten html5 web pages, each with their own instance of an HTML Dom, CSS data structures, and a JavaScript VM.

You can key in a three letter code for a radio navigation beacon into your simulated aircraft to look up its latitude and longitude for navigation. The sim has an in memory list of maybe a hundred thousand of these beacons all around the world.

It takes five seconds to perform a lookup on this list. Because the lookup is done from the loving JavaScript, and every step of the iteration involves a whole bunch of ffi calls out of the JavaScript interpreter into c++ code, with all of the string and object heap allocation that entails. Even then I have no idea how on earth it takes this long.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

oh no, the computer programmer doesn’t like the flight simulator game that wasn’t made expressly for them alone.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

haveblue posted:

i bought a 2060 super a year ago, and it was only last month i discovered that one of the ram chips on it is bad, and likely was bad all along. turns out the driver quite reliably allocates memory from lower to higher physical addresses, and the broken chip was gigabyte 6 out of 8. the only reason i discovered it was that i got two 4k monitors and apparently finally needed more than 62% of the memory i paid for.

since it feels a huge waste to send it back (i presume they just toss them in a bin after verifying they are indeed faulty) i wrote a little cuda program which runs on wake and allocates all the memory it can get, checks if it seems to store some random junk correctly, and frees any that is fine. turns out i just have way more vram than i need anyway.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

lol at not immediately stress testing any new hardware you get. *wags naughty finger at u*

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

i paid 990 marks for a 3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 PCI 16 and it still works suck it new cardailures

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
amazing that the company known for multiple delays is making a game with multiple delays

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I was feeling sad that THE SILVER SHROUD would murder Sierra Petrovita for the Cappy glasses but she just gave them away! What a maroon!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OK, McReady, Dr. Shitforbrains, and Sierra Petrovita. Am I missing some throwback character or was that all?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I was feeling sad that THE SILVER SHROUD would murder Sierra Petrovita for the Cappy glasses but she just gave them away! What a maroon!

Nick Valentine is by far the best follower

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Roosevelt posted:

ok but what does that have to do with sierra petrovita? i'm traveling with mcready right now but I'll ditch him as soon as I get out of nuka world, and hook up with Hamcock

e: anyway it's dongmeat

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Roosevelt posted:

the best thing about him is little touches, like how he sometimes knows raiders from their past lives and theyll stop attacking and chat with him

im not sure why, but i ended up with piper as my post endgame companion and at that point youre practically a demigod so perks dont matter so ive kept her along for wandering and exploring

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Strong was way underutilized. I WANT TO FIND THE MILK (of human kindness) TOO, WHY IS THAT NOT AN OPTION?!?!?!?!?!1+1+1+12+11112222elvatolvakatinkorva

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

e: anyway it's dongmeat
deffo since he works with the lone wanderer perk, imo

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

i wonder how bad it would be reading Susan Cooper now. or the earthsea books - i think LeGuin did one or two more after the last one i read.

The newer Earthsea books are really worth reading, she comes at the world with a new perspective

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

oh so metro exodus is a mix of hubs and corridors. the first corridor level is pretty tite and really kind of cements this as scratching the fallout itch for me

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Hades is a good game but is just way too fast for me. I turned in God mode and it's still tough. Dark Souls style combat is more my sort of pace.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

hades is goood. I have bounced off every roguelike I’ve ever tried but hades is finally clicking with me.

I think it’s the characters that change and have unique dialog over time and the weapon upgrades that really feel like they make a difference. also you can pet the dog

I still can’t make the bow work for me, but I’m happy to smash poo poo with my mega sword

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

hades is goood. I have bounced off every roguelike I’ve ever tried but hades is finally clicking with me.

I think it’s the characters that change and have unique dialog over time and the weapon upgrades that really feel like they make a difference. also you can pet the dog

I still can’t make the bow work for me, but I’m happy to smash poo poo with my mega sword

The meta progression is pretty significant compared to traditional roguelikes. You get multiple lives, more health, loads more damage, new abilities. And it's not like Slay the Spire where the meta progression is more if a tutorial thing that you complete very quickly. I don't mind it too much but I would quit like an faster unlocks mode or something, I don't have that much time for games.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

slay the spire was a fun roguelike for a while, to me

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

i know i will like hades but am going to wait. got burned by dead cells and learned my lesson

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Omega was the best Hack-clone.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

eqing all of this

i normally dont go for the game style or roguelikes anymore, but bastion was so good i had to give it a go. the repetition makes it an good 20-45 minute game for me. after about ten deaths i flipped god mode on, just to make the early levels faster

theres something so satisfying about a quick room clear and double dashing over spikes

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

yeah hades actually has a lot of story elements, which is interesting. i'm not sure how much i'll actually get through the story though, once i lose interest in the core gameplay it's going to become a slog to progress through the story since everything is gated between runs.

the bow is one of my favorites. it must just be play style or something, i just sit back and plink away at enemies from far away and it works pretty well. you can easily keep everything at arms length and dodge away from the bad stuff. alternatively the special can be emphasized by going very close range and trying to get every shot in the enemy you want dead. i'm playing on switch which has aim assist so that may be it. i just have to point in the general direction and it aims at something for me.

my biggest problem is that i like playing it handheld since i can see everything on-screen better. but i'm not longer a teenager and really action-heavy games are starting to tax my lovely hands and it seems worse in handheld mode. i got a grip but i'm not sure it's any better.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I haven't played hades (really want to but waiting for the ps4 version) but reportedly it takes _____10______ clears to see all of the story content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

i am still plugging away at metro exodus and the desert level continues to be fun and new vegas/mad-maxy