Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Burn-in on OLEDs is permanent. The organic material in the cell is depleted, resulting in a dimmer image in the affected areas. It's not the same as image retention, which can be remedied by running a series of signals through the display.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
I have a Hisense 65H8G and watching movies/shows that aren't super hi def I notice a lot of pixelation surrounding light sources in dark scenes. Is that just normal for the budget TV I bought? Or does it need calibration or something? I'll see if I can get a shot of it in case someone wants to see it. I guess I originally thought it was what to expect with a cheaper TV but the RTINGS review for it talks about it's deep blacks. I was like...wait what?

Any ideas?

Edit: actually in the Rtings local dimming video they post you can see it with the white shapes that move slowly across the display. I guess maybe thats just the breaks with LED?

Comfortador fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 27, 2020

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Yeah, that's the local dimming array in action. It can make highlights pop, but if they're smaller than the individual panel, it can get ugly, and transitions to an adjacent panel can be noticeable.
Higher end units will have more panels, and can handle smaller highlights without it being as noticeable.

For hisense, try any or all of the following to make it less apparent:

- under Backlight, lower your Backlight Level 1-20 points
- also under Backlight, change Local Dimming to Medium
- lower Contrast up to 5 points
- lower Brightness up to 5 points
- under Advanced, change Gamma to 2.4

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 27, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Costco is going to have the 85” Sony X90CH/X900H on sale for $1999 starting 11/20 through 11/30. Really contemplating returning my 75” I just got and getting this instead.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

10 inches aint nothing to sneeze at.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's also 30% more viewing area.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah, I've already decided I'm going to return it. Costco.com has 90 returns and they will pickup the 75" from my house so there's really zero hassle for me.

It may be possible to buy it now and price match within the 30-day window but there's some unknowns if this is "black friday pricing" and exempt from price match so I'm just going to wait.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I remember when I got my 27" CRT, second hand from my aunt who bought a new entertainment unit and it wouldn't fit inside it. Big Toshiba thing with S Video and all. Quickly moved on to spending the next 5 years or so wishing for a truly big TV. I was so happy when I finally got a 46" LCD in 2011. Had a 65" for 2 years now and I just wish I could get a 75" or whatever will fit on the wall its on. Viewing distance guidelines be damned

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Inversely I wish the LG CX came in 32 or 27 inch so I could use it as a 4K monitor :v:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

FCKGW posted:

Costco is going to have the 85” Sony X90CH/X900H on sale for $1999 starting 11/20 through 11/30. Really contemplating returning my 75” I just got and getting this instead.

I was just about to pull the trigger on the 65' CX for 1850 but 85 inches.............................. Is the picture really THAT much better?

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Both my father and my brother in law have recently had problems with large Sony TVs blowing their power supplies. Definitely get the extended warranty if you get that Sony.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Hah, getting our 65" OLED up to the attic was hard enough. I can't imagine how large an 85" TV would be to carry.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Ak Gara posted:

Inversely I wish the LG CX came in 32 or 27 inch so I could use it as a 4K monitor :v:

I'm hopeful that with the shrink to 48" that they'll eventually go to 42", which is still gigantic, but actually usable on a desktop.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

FCKGW posted:

How good is Sony at keeping their promises of future firmware upgrades when it comes to TVs? I mean, it looks like they're pushing this for the PS5 pretty hard, but I'd want to make sure that it's not halfass implemented and that I regret buying this for future compatibility.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

space marine todd posted:

I'm hopeful that with the shrink to 48" that they'll eventually go to 42", which is still gigantic, but actually usable on a desktop.

yeah I'm eyeballing a wall-mounted OLED as a potential upgrade from 34" ultrawide, and 48" is still going to be on the big side but if they could get it down to around 42" then I'd probably bite

price coming down a bit would be the cherry on top but that doesn't seem to have happened with the 48" so I'm guessing it's just more expensive to produce these smaller sizes due to high pixel density

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
HDTVtest did a video on the 48" pricing with some diagrams and stuff, said it's cause the 48s can be cut from the leftover space of I think the 77s - so supply and demand stuff comes in from fewer 77s being made also means fewer 48s being made. Then the 55s (or 65s?) are an even cut from one panel and sell better so easier to price lower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=045s-Uy4stg

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Silly Burrito posted:

How good is Sony at keeping their promises of future firmware upgrades when it comes to TVs? I mean, it looks like they're pushing this for the PS5 pretty hard, but I'd want to make sure that it's not halfass implemented and that I regret buying this for future compatibility.

Still getting them on my 850E, thats a '17 model

Also I hope you're not buying into this nonsense that a console is gonna be able to drive 60+fps reliably. There are guys out there right now arguing how that new SSD in the PS5 is going to improve their framerates

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

codo27 posted:

Also I hope you're not buying into this nonsense that a console is gonna be able to drive 60+fps reliably. There are guys out there right now arguing how that new SSD in the PS5 is going to improve their framerates

Thanks. I don't really need a new TV but damned if it's not getting harder and harder to resist.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bob Socko posted:

Both my father and my brother in law have recently had problems with large Sony TVs blowing their power supplies. Definitely get the extended warranty if you get that Sony.

The Costco models have a 5yr warranty included, 7 if you use their Costco Visa card :cool:

Silly Burrito posted:

Good, they just pushed out their HDMI 2.1firmware update a week ago, and are still planning on doing a VRR update before the end of the year. Both were features promised but not available at launch.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

codo27 posted:

Yeah, the only games that are gong to hit that magical 4k120 fps on a console are F2P games like Siege, Smite, Rocket League, etc., and most of them will probably still not hit the native resolution, and require dynamic scaling anyway.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

OldSenileGuy posted:

I mean, that seems like potentially a big deal and something that Greentoe should compensate you for. Especially since they tout that your sale will be from a reputable dealer with a full warranty.
I emailed Greentoe and to their credit, they got their rep from the company and asked me to send pictures of the serial number. We'll see what they offer me, an in-kind exchange might be the best bet, unless the compensation is really good.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Buydig has the 65" CX for $1900 shipped, and the 77" CX for $3500 shipped:

65": https://www.bradsdeals.com/p/469300?c_id=5179&u_id=67424549&d=102820

77": https://www.bradsdeals.com/p/469292?c_id=5179&u_id=67424549&d=102820

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
My issue with a Sony TV was less them updating it to have new features, but rather introducing (and not fixing) bugs.

After Android 8 (or maybe it was 7) was pushed to it, it partly broke ARC. Each time I turned it on the TV would randomly fail to detect the receiver was connected via ARC, and instead start playing out the TV speakers. However, it still did send audio over ARC so there was this weird echo-y effect, until you went into the audio menu and specifically switched it back to 'sound system' instead of 'TV speakers'. I could mostly manage it by setting the TV audio volume to 0 (as long as ARC wasn't connected, in which case it would also lower the receiver volume), but occasionally it would decide to reset the TV audio to some default volume level and start playing out TV speakers again. Also if I Chromecast to it, the TV speakers would immediately turn back on at 100 and give me permanent hearing loss.

Was a well reported issue on their forums and for a couple years they would occasionally claim to have fixed it in a firmware update, only to have it not be fixed. No idea if they eventually fixed it or not.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Bob Socko posted:

I mean, I did have the same thing happen on my 65 X900E that I have as my game TV, but still hesitate to say that would be worth paying extra for an extended warranty since the part was like $60 after core charge and it took all of 10 minutes to swap out with a screwdriver. You didn't even have to take the TV off the stand.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

The 77" price seems to be 3,500 everywhere now. Finally pulled the trigger on Amazon so I can use my card's over time payment option, even though Costco has the better warranty

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Yawgmoft posted:

The 77" price seems to be 3,500 everywhere now. Finally pulled the trigger on Amazon so I can use my card's over time payment option, even though Costco has the better warranty

Those buydig prices on the 65" and 77" models come with $75 and $300 Visa gift cards respectively.

May not outweigh Amazon's payment plans (Or 5% back on the Amazon card.) for you, but something to consider.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

People probably know this, but Costco has the 65" for $1,849 now. It comes with a $100 Hulu credit too.

Were people complaining before about Costco's delivery? Would it be better if I went and got it in person?

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

The Grey posted:

People probably know this, but Costco has the 65" for $1,849 now. It comes with a $100 Hulu credit too.

Were people complaining before about Costco's delivery? Would it be better if I went and got it in person?

If you can get it in person, absolutely do that. Just beware that the boxes these new big ol TVs come in are enormous so check out the box dimensions first and make sure it'll fit in your vehicle. Costco failed to do the 'white glove' unboxing for me and it was a motherfucker to wrangle the 77" CX alone. If I'd had access to a large enough vehicle I'd have absolutely gone and picked it up instead.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I had my 75" delivered last week and it was only 3 days out from when I ordered it and they just dropped it off in my room with no issues :shrug:

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

FCKGW posted:

I had my 75" delivered last week and it was only 3 days out from when I ordered it and they just dropped it off in my room with no issues :shrug:

It's all hit or miss, Costco farms out the last mile to local delivery companies, some are better than others. I had excellent White Glove delivery once it got here, but it took 6 weeks for the 3rd party shipper to actually put it on a truck.

doctorthefonz posted:

Costco failed to do the 'white glove' unboxing for me and it was a motherfucker to wrangle the 77" CX alone.

I have no idea how you managed to do that without another person, it's such a large panel.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
If they are just dropping it off at your house, Costco is fine. If they are going to install anything for you that is where you will have a problem.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Listerine posted:

It's all hit or miss, Costco farms out the last mile to local delivery companies, some are better than others. I had excellent White Glove delivery once it got here, but it took 6 weeks for the 3rd party shipper to actually put it on a truck.

I have no idea how you managed to do that without another person, it's such a large panel.

mcmagic is right based on what i've read in this thread before and after I bought mine. Through Costco online it was shipped by Innovel although idk if that's the actual name of the trucking company they use or whatever--they had a class B box truck with a liftgate. The delivery folk said no dice on unwrapping/box removal after they got it inside, and to Listerine's point, I am about 6' tall and p muscly and I just barely was able to get it up on my TV stand (~20" off the floor) by initially levering it on my huge sub-zero work/freezer coat being extremely careful not to apply pressure to the panel. Then, I picked it up with my right arm and gently balanced it with my left arm and gingerly placed it on the stand in front of me. I emphatically recommended NOT doing what I did because it was def careless & dangerous lol but one of those situations where I trusted my beef ya know

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

God damnit, the Sony A8H I was delivered from Greentoe is gray market. Only intended for Mexico. gently caress me...
So, I guess this is a PSA: the XBRA8H is made in Mexico, and for some reason, the box and TV both have very prominent labeling that says "Only for Mexico," and the warranty card is in Spanish, even if your TV is a US-market one. I didn't believe it when the Greentoe distributor told me, so I called Sony myself and had them look up my serial number, and sure enough, mine is a US TV with a full warranty. Relieved I don't have to exchange my TV but pissed that Sony would do this at all.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'd guess they're shuffling some inventory around because of COVID and don't feel like re-packaging stuff.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Best Buy's Black Friday ad is out, there's a few TV deals in there.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/black-friday/flippable-ad/pcmcat1601484511846.c

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
I got a x900H not sure if I am blind or what but I can't tell the difference between 4k and 1080p I went to Bangbros and downloaded some 4k they don't look any better, I had them on a external hd I used the USB 900 max is there some settings I am missing or anything this my is my first 4k tv.

Winkie01 fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 30, 2020

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Broke in the new CX with Speed Racer. I don't think my eyes will ever be the same

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Am getting lots of flickering in near-black in dark scenes, anyone know what setting I ought to change?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Am getting lots of flickering in near-black in dark scenes, anyone know what setting I ought to change?

Try turning off Automatic Light Sensor (if any) and/or Automatic Contrast (if any).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I'm getting tired of waiting on the projector market to catch up with modern display technologies (seriously, while VRR on a DLP with a color wheel is more or less impossible, 120 Hz should still be plenty doable considering most lines supported 3D at one point) so I went out looking at TVs last night. Unfortunately I've discovered that years of projector use has ruined me and while I love the picture quality on anything modern I just don't find the screen size impressive even at 75", only the 80+" models really felt like a proper upgrade.

At least based on RTings comparison tool it looks like if I want 80+ inches with VRR support and native 120Hz input capability my choices come down to a shitload of Samsungs, two LG LCDs, and Vizio's absolute top of the line model. In theory the Sony X900H will be on the list whenever the firmware update that's supposed to enable VRR becomes available but I'm definitely not buying a $2500 TV based on promises of future support.

With this limited selection are the Samsungs or LG LCDs worth considering more than usual, or should I just hope to find a deal on the Vizio and/or wait to see if Sony succeeds at the firmware update? RTings ranks the Samsung Q80T as the best choice in the class for gaming. I forget, are there actual hardware reasons to avoid Samsung or was it just their lovely software practices re: Tizen and security? I have plenty of standalone streaming devices so I have no need to actually connect any TV I buy to the internet directly.

edit: Also, am I understanding correctly that the recent Panasonic chipset bug with 4K120 affects more or less all HDMI 2.1 capable receivers on the market currently? I have an old Marantz SR7001 that tops out at HDMI 1.2 and doesn't have any concept of ARC so that'll definitely be needing an upgrade as well.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 30, 2020