Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Sagebrush posted:

look what's back! in mod form!

:unsmith: https://www.nexusmods.com/microsoftflightsimulator/mods/192?tab=description

There are a ton more free airport and scenery improvements on that same site. I'm glad to see a little mod community popping up already, even with the jankiness of the base game and apparent incompleteness of the SDK. Now I just want my old junky planes! It's a goddamned shame that there isn't a single plane with a radial engine included with the game

looks like a poor man's toronto centre island airport :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sagebrush posted:

:unsmith: https://www.nexusmods.com/microsoftflightsimulator/mods/192?tab=description

There are a ton more free airport and scenery improvements on that same site. I'm glad to see a little mod community popping up already, even with the jankiness of the base game and apparent incompleteness of the SDK. Now I just want my old junky planes! It's a goddamned shame that there isn't a single plane with a radial engine included with the game

Oh good. It's finally a MSFS game.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Sagebrush posted:

This really needs to be built in to every flight sim. gently caress Richard Daley forever.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

they "just encountered" autopilot issues? it's been broken for a month

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I'm legit surprised they held it back since they previously have been yeeting patches out.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

it makes you wonder how bad the autopilot issue must have been for them to not release it over, considering how many bugs the previous patches brought.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Shocked they actually flew the patch before pushing it out. They’re learning.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Also, a community upgrade for the CJ4: https://github.com/Working-Title-MSFS-Mods/fspackages

I'm sad because I don't think this will affect the Longitude, being a premium, but if they can fix the CJ4, hell yeah.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

ZekeNY posted:

This really needs to be built in to every flight sim. gently caress Richard Daley forever.

Cannot agree more. When I visited Chicago, I went to the park there...was OK, but would have rather seen the flights in and out!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Also, a community upgrade for the CJ4: https://github.com/Working-Title-MSFS-Mods/fspackages

I'm sad because I don't think this will affect the Longitude, being a premium, but if they can fix the CJ4, hell yeah.

lmao I can't believe the gucci planes are all broken AND you can't even mod them.

Would have happily shelled out for it too if the game wasn't busted. Don't even remember what GAs even are there, but I want planes gimme gimme gimme.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

skooma512 posted:

lmao I can't believe the gucci planes are all broken AND you can't even mod them.

Would have happily shelled out for it too if the game wasn't busted. Don't even remember what GAs even are there, but I want planes gimme gimme gimme.

Just to be totally fair, I don't *know* that that's the case, but I did hear something to the effect of "they're encrypted so they can't mod them" so only the stock planes are community upgradeable. It makes sense, though. I'm really bummed, the Longitude was likely going to be my favorite. Still, I will take the CJ4 if this mod can trick it out.

Excited for them to get some better quality patches done. I have hated being away from Flight Sim recently, but soon I'll have both the Alpha Yoke and Bravo Throttle from Honeycomb and then by god am I ever going to double down playing this come hell or high water (or bad patch.)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The modded cj4 might be my favorite msfs2020 plane honestly.

Flies far and fast and is still easy to handle, and the avionics are nice and simple once you get your head around the mdcu. Just remember to disengage alt hold before dialing in a climb or descent or it will immediately seek your target altitude in alt hold mode (this is a sim bug obv.)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

skooma512 posted:

You can't mod the premium planes?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cojawfee posted:

You can't mod the premium planes?

The premium planes config files are encrypted or something.

Unrelated: These guys have done a superb bit of work on the Carbon Cub. There’s two versions of the primary mod, with the 180hp and the 215hp versions on offer, and then the G3X mod on top of that.

Very strong recommend on both.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Man, I really do need to hold myself to making a big Effort Post for mods for this game. It's a real shame they don't seem to want to let the Marketplace be essentially the "Nexusmods" for MSFS because there's already a ton of pretty good content that is impossible to find without absolutely crawling around every community site constantly.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Man, I really do need to hold myself to making a big Effort Post for mods for this game. It's a real shame they don't seem to want to let the Marketplace be essentially the "Nexusmods" for MSFS because there's already a ton of pretty good content that is impossible to find without absolutely crawling around every community site constantly.

Ya, that’s pretty much my biggest complaint with FS thus far. A centralized repository for payware and mods with auto updates would be killer.

Then they built it, and decided not to use it.

:argh:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Man. Fixing the base game via GitHub.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

sellouts posted:

Man. Fixing the base game via GitHub.

Well MS owns GitHub now so....

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Ya, that’s pretty much my biggest complaint with FS thus far. A centralized repository for payware and mods with auto updates would be killer.

Then they built it, and decided not to use it.

:argh:

It's wild that they can't see they'd have an absolute home run for monetization if they managed to actually draw the community to one core interface, but they delivered a lovely weird marketplace and then either were too spread thin or otherwise out of touch to really capitalize on it. You needed to push "This is the place to get payware and mods" from launch, but no - they immediately let every payware and community modder split into a dozen different websites and deliveries. Even with a somehow worse launch than this, if you can rally the community to your tools and things, you'd have a killer platform.

It makes me really think they really got pushed to just figure out the Azure/Bing Maps integration (since that's at least reliable) and the Xbox offering, because it reads like the viable product wasn't "A flight sim for the new decade" but "A marketing vehicle for other products." I think they still win on the flight sim aspect more or less by default because other commercial/GA sims are so terribly old and janked but man, they are leaving so much on the table if they can't shape it up sooner than later.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

As has been brought up a few times, they would be opening a major can of worms by hosting a community mod database, since a ton of the scenery objects and airports that you can currently download have been ripped directly from Google Earth.

I do hope that the community eventually agrees on one central host for all the free/ripped stuff, at least, because not even knowing where to go to look for things is the worst. So far that NexusMods page seems like the best option but who knows.

Basically there needs to be an x-plane.org but FS2020.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

SwimNurd posted:

Well MS owns GitHub now so....

And they own Bethesda...whose games are entirely fixed by fan patches. All they need to do now is buy Nexus mods and they will have the complete ecosystem!!!

Also there's no way they could monopolize the marketplace without a huge backlash.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Charles posted:

And they own Bethesda...whose games are entirely fixed by fan patches. All they need to do now is buy Nexus mods and they will have the complete ecosystem!!!

Also there's no way they could monopolize the marketplace without a huge backlash.

I think there's a way - in theory, but absolutely not in any way they'd try. I think it's truly a case of "If you build it [correctly], they will come." You don't need to make it a huge walled garden, just a good platform for developers (payware or free mods) and a better platform for users. Some people will still gently caress off to various poo poo FsMods2020.lt like Truck Sim or it's ilk, but if you center the community somewhere you'll get the lion's share of good content.

It's like steam workshop. Some modders on some games seem to loving hate the workshop, but unless they're literally the most unique and necessary mod, as a user I am much happer to one click install/uninstall, grab any dependencies, and never have to think about updating it manually. Steam workshop doesn't have 100% of the 3rd party content for a game and its imperfect, sure, but if you can build that for Flight Sim you've won a lot of the battle.

I say in theory because inevitably if they tried to monopolize the market place it would end up being like "only add partnered developers to the market place by hand every month" and that would really suck...

...Oh.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 28, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Also btw are there any mods to change the type of trees that are generated in a specific zone yet? Because Yosemite is still full of like african savannah deciduous trees and it drives me nuts

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

“This is the place to get pay ware and mods from launch” sure but are there any mods or payware worth a poo poo aside from that GitHub?

The Japan add on was about the biggest one and was the marketplace exclusive.

Just pay key developers to be a marketplace exclusive and market those when they’re available. But it’s all kind of a joke when the basics are so broken they’re delaying patches.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I think there's a way - in theory, but absolutely not in any way they'd try. I think it's truly a case of "If you build it [correctly], they will come." You don't need to make it a huge walled garden, just a good platform for developers (payware or free mods) and a better platform for users. Some people will still gently caress off to various poo poo FsMods2020.lt like Truck Sim or it's ilk, but if you center the community somewhere you'll get the lion's share of good content.

It's like steam workshop. Some modders on some games seem to loving hate the workshop, but unless they're literally the most unique and necessary mod, as a user I am much happer to one click install/uninstall, grab any dependencies, and never have to think about updating it manually. Steam workshop doesn't have 100% of the 3rd party content for a game and its imperfect, sure, but if you can build that for Flight Sim you've won a lot of the battle.

I say in theory because inevitably if they tried to monopolize the market place it would end up being like "only add partnered developers to the market place by hand every month" and that would really suck...

...Oh.

I remember when Arma 3 came out with workshop support. In Arma 2 and back you had all kinds of random sites hosting mods. Cobbled together installers and updaters for core mods like Six Updater. Then the workshop came out and all that poo poo just went to Steam. We're not limited by hosting because it's not just some Czech guy's fan site or beholden to rickety homebrew installers that barely work.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Charles posted:

I won't be satisfied until they put tits on my TBM.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Mailer posted:

I won't be satisfied until they put tits on my TBM.

They have to flap like the 787 wings though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm sitting here replying to emails while MSFS is running in the background with a Baron on autopilot between KLAS and KCPM for the last 40 minutes. When it gets there I will tab back in and land.

God help me, I've become One Of Them.

(I am really liking the Baron, incidentally, and I wish they had a steam-gauge version)

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Sagebrush posted:

I'm sitting here replying to emails while MSFS is running in the background with a Baron on autopilot between KLAS and KCPM for the last 40 minutes. When it gets there I will tab back in and land.

God help me, I've become One Of Them.

(I am really liking the Baron, incidentally, and I wish they had a steam-gauge version)

Hope you're not speeding up the simulation rate like a casual

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

No kidding. One of my first purchases will be a version that takes the xplane cockpit layout and puts it in msfs

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Kind of funny how FSX was all steam gauge planes, with one state-of-the-art G1000 plane available as a paid extra

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I also was doing alt-tabbed runs for FSE during a Zoom call.

The weather over the rockies was horrible. I saw a big red blob on radar and 45 knot winds and I went down way lower, even went around the cell like a good pilot. Then I find the destination is a grass airstrip (Flying the TBM 930) and I went in too fast.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lord Stimperor posted:

Hope you're not speeding up the simulation rate like a casual

the very idea! i'm insulted

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The thing about speeding up simulation speed is that you can just speed up your jail sentence you're serving for increasing the simulation speed.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I tried to play again after taking a couple weeks off and I'm getting a "You're too early" message when I try to launch the game. In the MS store it says that the game is installed. Any way to fix this? It won't launch the game at all.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

Kind of funny how FSX was all steam gauge planes, with one state-of-the-art G1000 plane available as a paid extra

Not that surprising. 14 years is a lot of time for tech expectations to change. FSX is older than the iPhone.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

G1000 worked better then than this iteration today

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Romes128 posted:

I tried to play again after taking a couple weeks off and I'm getting a "You're too early" message when I try to launch the game. In the MS store it says that the game is installed. Any way to fix this? It won't launch the game at all.

So I just got off the phone with Microsoft support and they said since I downloaded the game via Game Pass and upgraded to the Deluxe version I would have to re-subscribe to Game Pass again (I cancelled it a couple weeks ago since I don't play any Xbox games anymore).

So I either have to get Game Pass again or buy the game again. Fuckin' sucks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Romes128 posted:

So I just got off the phone with Microsoft support and they said since I downloaded the game via Game Pass and upgraded to the Deluxe version I would have to re-subscribe to Game Pass again (I cancelled it a couple weeks ago since I don't play any Xbox games anymore).

So I either have to get Game Pass again or buy the game again. Fuckin' sucks.

Wait, doesn't upgrading to the deluxe version cost the full price of the deluxe version if you have gamepass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Wait, doesn't upgrading to the deluxe version cost the full price of the deluxe version if you have gamepass?

Yes, but apparently you don't actually buy the game if you upgrade. You buy 400 points and that's used to upgrade the game.