Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

if you think music would make your day on the hill more fun they are absolutely worth it imo, safety be damned.

lots of people are wearing in-ear headphones that are way more isolating than helmet-cans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I have on occasion skied with airpods, letting the helmet ear flaps hold them in. Seems dumb and risky but it was a solo day cruising spring groomers so it worked out alright.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

bawfuls posted:

I have on occasion skied with airpods, letting the helmet ear flaps hold them in. Seems dumb and risky but it was a solo day cruising spring groomers so it worked out alright.

I had a friend do this with Airpods and he lost one.

the fb marketplace for the area had heaps of single Airpods people had found or 1 + charger they had lost one of.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I have the ODT 2.0 for my helmet and I really like them overall. I still haven’t figured out which butan does what so mostly I control them from my Apple Watch. They sound ridiculously good and I basically don’t notice that they’re in the flaps when the music is stopped.

I mostly just listen to music on the lift and sometimes on groomers, but it’s nice to use them to call my partner and let her know what’s up

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I use my $30 Ankers because the wire between the headphones is usually enough to keep them on my neck if they fall out while I'm skiing without the hassle of actually corded headphones.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

luminalflux posted:

I have the ODT 2.0 for my helmet and I really like them overall. I still haven’t figured out which butan does what so mostly I control them from my Apple Watch. They sound ridiculously good and I basically don’t notice that they’re in the flaps when the music is stopped.

I mostly just listen to music on the lift and sometimes on groomers, but it’s nice to use them to call my partner and let her know what’s up

I use my watch for control too although still prefer the phyiscal buttons on the ODTs for skip/volume control most of the time. i use a small apple watch though and with gloves it can be tricky to use it.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

luminalflux posted:

I took the speakers out of a cheap Bluetooth headband and dropped those into my ear flaps - works fine for this. No easily accessible button controls, but the Watch solves that problem (and they’re only 15 bucks.)

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
I have traditionally not worn headphones and now I have to wear a radio earbud on the hill all the time. I think I do take some real safety cues from sounds so I have definitely had to be even more proactive with my vision to compensate but it hasn't been a dealbreaker.

Patrol has had to fish an earbud out of my ear before though.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I also use OT Chips. I have the original (bluetooth) version.

Love em. Seconding what everyone else has said.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Moey posted:

I also use OT Chips. I have the original (bluetooth) version.

Love em. Seconding what everyone else has said.

:same:

it’s so nice to have a playlist running and only having to click the right ear piece once to pause/play

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
So like - how is everyone planning on skiing this year in light of COVID stuff?

I usually drive and stay with friends to make resort prices bearable ..... but I live out of state from my mountains. I’m guessing you guys live close enough to not need to stay in the resort cesspool?

Maybe skiers take COVID seriously and won’t be jerks? I’m having a hard time gauging my own thoughts on this. Obviously skiing is the easy part, it’s the being around people in a line and hotels and cars that worry me.

Practical tips?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Captain Apollo posted:

I usually drive and stay with friends to make resort prices bearable ..... but I live out of state from my mountains. I’m guessing you guys live close enough to not need to stay in the resort cesspool?

Maybe skiers take COVID seriously and won’t be jerks? I’m having a hard time gauging my own thoughts on this. Obviously skiing is the easy part, it’s the being around people in a line and hotels and cars that worry me.

Practical tips?

My only long distance trip this year I have rented a condo for a month in Avon, within walking distance to the lift. I wouldn't travel with any other set-up, myself. For my local mountain I live close enough that I make the trip in a day.

Perhaps look for an AirBNB or lodging that is individual units, or slopeside. Where are you planning on skiing?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Winter related: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk1E33dIfPg

Captain Apollo posted:

Practical tips?

More backcountry riding (although I am already at 70% ish), probably some Monday rides (I live right by the mountain), hope that we actually act like adults or get a vaccine and the spring is good to go (at least CO has a long season).

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Gonna try to take a midweek vacation and stay out of communal spaces and gondolas. I was wearing ski gear as a mask before I got real masks, so that part won't be weird

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Captain Apollo posted:

Practical tips?

Probably just local hills midweek, if at all. Maybe go out to WV where there’s never anyone on the mountain anyway.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I might consider avoiding Sun Valley, Aspen, Deer Valley/Park City. I have a suspicion very wealthy people hanging out and away from Covid are going to clock to those locations, and they will be surprisingly crowded.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Even with all the second homeowners living here already, I suspect Aspen will stay pretty empty. It is hard for me to emphasize how few people we have on the mountains on an average day and how small the "crowds" are on "busy" days. Social distancing on chairs will add literally zero wait time because you're usually riding alone anyway.

I bought a stupid expensive pass here and I suspect I'll end up regretting it when we get shut down in January, but I already have a touring setup.

My partner and I are thinking of an Ikon road trip in Jan or Mar if things hold out, but we are going to wait to decide until the last second because we can drive.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I really love opening the season with an early trip to Tremblant but now I'll have to forgo that with the travel restrictions. I think it'll all be local and racing driven this year for me without any exceptions. At least that gives me time and extra savings to plan for a future Japan trip in 2022.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I think I'm staying local all year. Maybe I'll go to Kimberley for a few days, but that'll be it.

Honestly, I'm feeling a bit burnt out on skiing and I think the fact that there isn't going to be a lot of Masters racing might not be the worst thing for me. I think about going up to ski right now and I just kind of curl up in that burnt out don't-want-to-do-it way.

Of course, I also watch skiing videos and I miss that feeling so much, so there's a good chance I'll get up there on opening day and it'll be the best thing ever.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
I'm planning on just riding midweek for the most part. Sunshine's COVID plans are underwhelming at best and I don't have a lot of faith that people are actually going to mask up in lines given my experience at Norquay so far this year. Lake Louise seems to have the best COVID measures in place but they're also the furthest for me to get to midweek and I don't have a pass.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I'm gonna go to whistler and make out with all the locals

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

HookShot posted:

Yeah, I think I'm staying local all year. Maybe I'll go to Kimberley for a few days, but that'll be it.

Honestly, I'm feeling a bit burnt out on skiing and I think the fact that there isn't going to be a lot of Masters racing might not be the worst thing for me. I think about going up to ski right now and I just kind of curl up in that burnt out don't-want-to-do-it way.

Of course, I also watch skiing videos and I miss that feeling so much, so there's a good chance I'll get up there on opening day and it'll be the best thing ever.

This will be my first full-length australian summer in a few years and watching all the new boarding films coming out is certainly not helping :(

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Seven Springs might hook up my shop with season passes, so if that’s the case that’ll be my go-to and i’ll continue to encourage others to avoid Vail-owned resorts

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Shot: I bought my season pass last week

Chaser: at least I'm not giving money to Vail this year

sorry in advance to everyone for your cancelled ski season(s)

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

SeaborneClink posted:

Shot: I bought my season pass last week

Chaser: at least I'm not giving money to Vail this year

sorry in advance to everyone for your cancelled ski season(s)

Did Vail announce something I missed?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

ante posted:

Well hello there...

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

ante posted:

If Whistler keeps the same protocols they did for mountain biking, it'll be alright. Mask on in the lineup, no sharing a chair with strangers (so singles just go on their own), and limiting the amount of tickets sold. When mountain biking I didn't see a single person have an issue with mask on in the lineup (just a few people that needed reminders), even though putting it on when wearing a full face dh helmet is more annoying than just a ski helmet.

Skiing (and mtb) kind of have social distancing built-in.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 29, 2020

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

ante posted:

You may have misheard, it is a super shredder event, not super spreader.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

IncredibleIgloo posted:

No I'm just thankfully not paying a Vail owned hill this year.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

ante posted:

See you there :forkbomb:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

You may have misheard, it is a super shredder event, not super spreader.

Ski and Snowboard Megathread: It's a Super Shredder Event

New title please.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
It's near time (well actually a year past it) to make a new thread

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The Glumslinger posted:

It's near time (well actually a year past it) to make a new thread

I think just convert it to a Megathread, the traffic is slow enough and we are in TGO now.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I'll put together new thread today or tomorrow. Definitely using Super Shredder Event as part of the title

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

IncredibleIgloo posted:

my personal issue with vail resorts is that when they bought the local three (liberty, round top, whitetail) last year, they made it a nightmare w/r/t season passes for my coworkers and i.

it used to be that we’d get a discount on a seasons pass individually for all three. last year, we no longer had a seasons pass, we had a shop card. we could ride at more resorts, yes, but it was always a hassle and a total mess. for starters, you were limited to one day at a time. this doesn’t seem like a big deal since you could just grab another the following day, but every single time i was redirected to another place to get my ticket. i’m talking going to the window, running over to administration, back to the window, off to guest services, then back to administration. this was the case every single time i went riding.
on top of that, when my coworkers and i went riding together, they ALWAYS gave us trouble for all of us having our own shop card. the “it’s supposed to be owned by your shop, you’re technically taking advantage of vail resort benefits” spiel was common and felt lovely/disrespectful.
we don’t make much, we all work at our shop because we love riding and the benefits normally keep us from having to stress over high costs. i get that “capitalism be like that” or whatever, but come on.

tl;dr: vail resorts being good for the industry is like burton’s step-on bindings being the future of snowboarding

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Macnult posted:

my personal issue with vail resorts is that when they bought the local three (liberty, round top, whitetail) last year, they made it a nightmare w/r/t season passes for my coworkers and i.

it used to be that we’d get a discount on a seasons pass individually for all three. last year, we no longer had a seasons pass, we had a shop card. we could ride at more resorts, yes, but it was always a hassle and a total mess. for starters, you were limited to one day at a time. this doesn’t seem like a big deal since you could just grab another the following day, but every single time i was redirected to another place to get my ticket. i’m talking going to the window, running over to administration, back to the window, off to guest services, then back to administration. this was the case every single time i went riding.
on top of that, when my coworkers and i went riding together, they ALWAYS gave us trouble for all of us having our own shop card. the “it’s supposed to be owned by your shop, you’re technically taking advantage of vail resort benefits” spiel was common and felt lovely/disrespectful.
we don’t make much, we all work at our shop because we love riding and the benefits normally keep us from having to stress over high costs. i get that “capitalism be like that” or whatever, but come on.

tl;dr: vail resorts being good for the industry is like burton’s step-on bindings being the future of snowboarding

That sounds like a total pain in the rear end. I imagine as Vail (and to a lesser extent Alterra) conglomerate more and more resorts the customer service angle is not an important one to play.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

This might be a silly question, but can someone let me know what the standard lift hours are at Beaver Creek? For some reason I can't find this information on their website, and I am trying to figure out what days I want to "reserve" when the early reservation system opens up, and since my son may be with me I am trying to figure out how much time he would have between online school ending and the last lift closing. Like, if they close at 5 then I will be able to get a lot of skiing in with him on the weekdays, but if they close at 3:30 I will need to make sure to schedule a few weekends instead. Any of the resorts in the Colorado area west of Denver do night skiing?

dox
Mar 4, 2006

IncredibleIgloo posted:

This might be a silly question, but can someone let me know what the standard lift hours are at Beaver Creek? For some reason I can't find this information on their website, and I am trying to figure out what days I want to "reserve" when the early reservation system opens up, and since my son may be with me I am trying to figure out how much time he would have between online school ending and the last lift closing. Like, if they close at 5 then I will be able to get a lot of skiing in with him on the weekdays, but if they close at 3:30 I will need to make sure to schedule a few weekends instead. Any of the resorts in the Colorado area west of Denver do night skiing?

I believe 9-4, and later on in the season they do 8:30-4. Scheduling a few weekends sounds smart. There are only a handful of places that do public night skiing that I am aware of: Steamboat, Keystone, and Echo Mountain (Wednesday-Saturday). Despite never having been, I'd recommend Echo Mountain if you're just skiing with your young son.

dox fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 29, 2020

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

^ He is staying at beaver creek for a month so no real reason to consider driving to Echo and paying.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I want to say they close at 3:30 a lot but it might be 4 more often. Your only choice for night skiing is going to be Keystone. I can't recommend it though. They will have a calendar out soonish so you can see the hours though as it changes each day.

E: the cookies are at 3:30 so you want to stop riding then to get free cookies.

Also what time zone you coming from? if school is done at say 3 eastern he would be good to go for the afternoons.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Unfortunately we are coming from Oregon. Online school ends at noon there, so it would be one. By end, I mean, that is their time to do homework during the day, but he can do that after skiing just as easily. I mean, that is probably enough time to do a few runs, but it might be a little rushed. We are walking distance from the lift, so we won't have to drive anywhere or anything.