Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Warranties are really only as good as the place honoring them. Manufacturer warranties are basically a gigantic hassle with an endless amount of hoops to jump through, and you're out your product the entire time they are trying to prove that the reason it broke is your fault/not honor the warranty.

One of my good friends sells high end appliances for a living and he said he barely makes anything on a warranty sale as compared to the sale of $100K worth of kitchen/home appliances, but he ALWAYS sells the warranty simply because it is such an insane hassle to get a manufacturer out to see your broken fridge/dishwasher/towel heating rack etc, and what are you going to do while your major appliance is broken? If it's a major purchase and the company is reputable, buy the drat warranty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Old Man Pants posted:

Warranties are really only as good as the place honoring them. Manufacturer warranties are basically a gigantic hassle with an endless amount of hoops to jump through, and you're out your product the entire time they are trying to prove that the reason it broke is your fault/not honor the warranty.

I guess this varies by your market and/or manufacturer. I bought a Samsung washing machine and within the first year had a malfunction. I tried reporting it to the reseller, who told me to call Samsung directly. Samsun had some sort of machine-learning voice control robot that interrogated me about the symptoms and said they'd be in touch. The next day, I got an email saying the robot had ordered a spare part and a tech will be along as soon as they get the part. Which turned out to be the week after. He talked to me to confirm the diagnosis, then fixed the problem and was on his way in 30 minutes. No charge, no extra warranty purchased.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Captain Monkey posted:

Gravel protection when renting a car in Iceland. With the insane wine and rural roads, if you're going to be driving outside the Reykjavik area, it's well worth it.

That's a good idea. We didn't get it as we were sticking to the main roads but it would have made sense to have. Also, if you need an automatic transmission be sure to reserve in advance as they aren't the standard there.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I just want to clarify that I meant wind, not wine. I was not drunk driving in Iceland.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Like others had said the tire hazard warranty thing.
But 20 years I was into car audio. The warranty on subwoofer is great. If you blow it, you just bring it in and they hand you a new one

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
I bought the gold warranty on the last car I bought. It has paid for itself 10x over. I've had my transmission replaced, an issue with steering, tires, and my entire AC. All covered.

I am never buying a nissan again however.

I Demand Food
Nov 18, 2002
I had multiple XBOX 360's and XBONES crap out on me, so I've been very happy opting for the replacement warranties on those and don't think I'd buy a console without one at this point.

Also, the homeowner warranty. My realtor is a big fan of them and made sure it was included when we bought the house. Didn't need it at all that first year and I was going back and forth on renewing it. Glad I did because that year the compressor in the AC unit and our dishwasher's main control board both failed and there was a water leak from an upstairs bathroom and it covered replacing/fixing all of that.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
Omg, I finally reached a point in my life where I have decent credit. The Costco Citibank offers 2 year warranties on any product you buy with it.

Some fun I’ve had:

My wife wanted to lead to build a gaming desktop and ended up jabbing the motherboard with a screwdriver. They asked us to get an estimate for repair and credited the whole amount.

We buy drat near everything through that card now. Bird scooter we put money on took a big ol poo poo and demanded we carry it 6 blocks to stop it from charging us, bang chargeback instantly approved.

24 hour fitness and their class action? I didn’t have to do ANYTHING with that garbage, I called em and let em know “I’m not a lawyer and am having a hard time with this paperwork they expect me to do to get my money back”. Boom - every payment they’ve charged me in 2020.

Our OLED tv has 5 years of warranty because of that card and Costco. It a direction I appreciate things going in... if we can’t have the kinds of basic protection afforded by government that Europeans take for granted.

It seems like capitalism has decided consumer protection is worth it, caveat emptor is not a feasible way to get consumers to keep shopping.

tl;dr

Having a warranty on stuff like a car wash breaking down mid spray is pretty nice.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Rather than making a new thread, this seems like the place to ask this: Have you ever "registered your product" like so many boxes, manuals and websites ask us to? What benefits are there for us or for them?

I think I only heard of people doing this to complete some kind of rebate or gift card gimmick promotion, nothing else.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I know some software publishers used to use that information, back in the 80's and 90's, to send out promotions for new releases.
I don't think it had any benefit to the consumer except if you wanted to keep in the loop of you favorite game publisher or so.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

When I bought my Benelli there was a sheet that suggested registering online. I bought that brand because they have one of the best warranties in the business, so I did it.

I don't know what benefits there are to it, I just didn't want any possible hassles if I had to use it :shrug:

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
I've had good luck with warranties because I'm a disaster.

New laptop gets destroyed by a toddler? Jump through some hoops and: bam! New computer.

Sleeping rough on an air mattress, so it falls apart after three days? Just make it a point to go to Sears every three days for a replacement for a YEAR.

Plenty of other ones but those two really stand out.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Roumba posted:

Rather than making a new thread, this seems like the place to ask this: Have you ever "registered your product" like so many boxes, manuals and websites ask us to? What benefits are there for us or for them?

I think I only heard of people doing this to complete some kind of rebate or gift card gimmick promotion, nothing else.

I registered a dishwasher once for whatever reason. You get put on their "crazed dishwasher enthusiast" mailing list.

Edit: Besides marketing, they may be obliged to try to get customers contact info in case there's a recall.

Pekinduck fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 21, 2020

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character
Some products have fine-print in their good warranties where you have to register within a certain period of time after purchase to get the good coverage, otherwise you default to a crappier warranty period.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Pekinduck posted:

I registered a dishwasher once for whatever reason. You get put on their "crazed dishwasher enthusiast" mailing list.

Edit: Besides marketing, they may be obliged to try to get customers contact info in case there's a recall.

Someone once told me about the holy grail of dishwashing: two dishwashers in one kitchen, so you never have to empty the dishwasher, you just take the clean dishes out of one and put the dirty dishes into the other, then run it and go the opposite way.

The fact that this is now an ambition of mine makes me a dishwasher enthusiast, I guess.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I've actually seen that in practice in a workplace. It worked so-so because some idiots couldn't tell which one was "clean" and started dirty cups in it...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I've actually seen that in practice in a workplace. It worked so-so because some idiots couldn't tell which one was "clean" and started dirty cups in it...

I think I'd get a magnet or something to designate the clean one vs. the dirty one in that situation, and possibly even in a home.

I mean, I still have that problem because occasionally I can't remember if I've run the dishwasher and just not emptied it, or if it's full of dirty dishes, so... whatever.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

PT6A posted:

I think I'd get a magnet or something to designate the clean one vs. the dirty one in that situation, and possibly even in a home.

Oh, they had a very clear magnetic laminated sign that you were supposed to move from one machine to the other when it finished running. Somehow didn't help for these monkeys.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I haven't seen this mentioned but absolutely buy a warranty for any kind of robot you get. Litter robots are great and nothing compares to them, but for the love of god get a warranty. They need some kind of repair once a year. We also have a neato and robot vacuums should have the longest warranty you can buy.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

redreader posted:

I haven't seen this mentioned but absolutely buy a warranty for any kind of robot you get. Litter robots are great and nothing compares to them, but for the love of god get a warranty. They need some kind of repair once a year. We also have a neato and robot vacuums should have the longest warranty you can buy.

I'm going on year 3 of my Eufy Robovac.. the only non-consumable I've had to replace is the battery, after 3 years it wasn't holding as long of a charge...

akma
Jan 30, 2016

I simply lack the motivation to write anything here.
Bought a new cell phone a few years ago. They had a warranty replacement plan that you paid for monthly. They would replace the phone if damaged, you only pay shipping (in addition to the monthly fee), yadda yadda yadda. Paid for one month. Phone arrived before the case did. Dropped the phone and shattered the screen. Had a replacement within 2 days, and the case arrived at the same time. Cancelled the monthly warranty plan thing the next month.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Earlier this year I bought a used car and they offered gap insurance. I kind of took it in a whim, I'm a very conservative driver and have never even been in a fender bender. Well 3 weeks after I got the car I slid on rain when someone cut me off and hit a phone pole and completely totaled the car. Never been more thankful that I randomly was offered and accepted gap insurance.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
When I bought my second camcorder in the late 90s early 2000s I got like a 7 year warranty with Best Buy because I knew I'd break that poo poo. So 5 or so years down the road my camera finally fell apart do to neglect and abuse and when I took it in they were like "Well this model is out of date so they don't make it anymore, I guess we'll just have to give you the current equivalent".

Basically because I paid 20 bucks years earlier I got a higher quality brand new Camcorder with more/better features.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Sort of? I keep my Chase Sapphire Reserve in part for the primary rental car insurance (well, in the pre-COVID days, anyway), and it's paid off. I rented a car from Sixt a couple years back, and they claimed it was returned with major tire damage. I have no idea how that could have been, unless it happened as I was driving it back to return it, but my credit card's insurance people took care of it for me. I think they even got Sixt to drop the claim, though I don't really remember. I just know I didn't have to pay anything extra.

Ancillary Character posted:

Some products have fine-print in their good warranties where you have to register within a certain period of time after purchase to get the good coverage, otherwise you default to a crappier warranty period.

This was the case with my Wii. Registering extended your warranty from twelve months to fifteen months. Coincidentally, I registered mine, and it actually did die within that extra period, so I just drove it over to the repair shop that they had at their HQ at the time (the repair shop's since closed, unfortunately), and they transferred my data to a new one on the spot. Took about 15-20 minutes altogether, and it was all covered because I had the extra few months from registering my console.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

the SSD in my new laptop shat itself and died only 3 months after i got it, warranty covered it

i somehow have worse luck with drives than my dad who used to literally maintain storage servers for a living

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
I rented a U-Haul trailer for a 1000 mile 2-day trip. The insurance was ~$20 or less, so I took it. The second morning of the trip I hit black ice on the freeway and slid off the road sideways at 55 mph. My truck rolled twice, the trailer rolled 1.5 times. Both were totaled. Trailer was missing a wheel, completely bent out of shape, etc. 100% covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Blue On Blue posted:

Tire and Rim protection package when you buy a new car.

Typically I wouldn't get this on my own cars, its just one more expense that isn't needed

However I opted for it on a work vehicle, and we ended up having 6 flat tires in the 3 years we had that vehicle. The warranty paid for itself multiple times over

I absolutely regret not getting the wheels and rim protection package when we bought our used car. I'm pretty sure with my wife's driving, I could have made money on this package.