Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

BigFactory posted:

I got the Lana del Rey poetry record in the mail today. My life is complete.

The what now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Ballz posted:

VMP recently jacked up prices on just about everything a few months ago, so this new "sale" for the most part is just bringing prices back to what they used to normally be. The non-member $39 sale price ($32 for members) of Return to Cookie Mountain is a complete joke and you can find the same edition for much cheaper elsewhere.

Having said that, there are a handful of titles in the sale that are decently priced. There aren't any super amazing steals but something like Jorge Ben for $20 or Moses Sumney for $17 are worth a pickup.

Wow so this came today and I didnt realize it would actually end up being the literal VMP edition which makes it even stupider that they were selling it at what they were.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

vivat virtute posted:

The what now

The Lana del Rey poertry record!

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

AccountSupervisor posted:

Wow so this came today and I didnt realize it would actually end up being the literal VMP edition which makes it even stupider that they were selling it at what they were.

:tipshat:

That’s why I linked to those specifically, so you’d get the VMP edition at a reasonable price. But yeah their new pricing is just ridiculous. Like if they raised prices on new releases going forward it sort of makes sense but doubling the price of a record that has been gathering dust in your warehouse for two years ain’t gonna cut it.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
These vmp guys seem like arseholes honestly.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Speaking of goobers, looks like that VNYL subscription company is still around

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Barry posted:

Speaking of goobers, looks like that VNYL subscription company is still around

Were they the idiots with that lovely record store that was like two bins full of Wham and other 80s dollar bin crap?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

CPL593H posted:

Were they the idiots with that lovely record store that was like two bins full of Wham and other 80s dollar bin crap?

That’s the one. I guess business is good for them, as I had a co-worker who collects “the vinyls” and was a happy subscriber. Here’s one of the curated picks they sent her:

https://youtu.be/FCf-F8uBdzA

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Ballz posted:

That’s the one. I guess business is good for them, as I had a co-worker who collects “the vinyls” and was a happy subscriber. Here’s one of the curated picks they sent her:

Curated that one right from the trash back into circulation

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
How does that even happen? Did they leave it near a hot stove?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That Crosley has really done a number on that grail!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

wow Crosleys really heating up.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ballz posted:

People with more money than sense why everything is all hosed up.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

vivat virtute posted:

Well drat. This copy is trashed but it’s also a decade after that last sold one so I guess I’ll toss it on eBay and see

Make sure you properly photograph them for us first, I need to see the other sides. I need the rest of the Frankie Laine story!!

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

pwn posted:

Make sure you properly photograph them for us first, I need to see the other sides. I need the rest of the Frankie Laine story!!

I brought them home to try and clean up for myself at least. Gonna try the “retro brite” thing to clear up yellowing, some standard cleaning etc. The Joan Edwards disc is gorgeous.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Trip report: the Lana del Rey poetry record is a little funny but not super good. HOWEVER since it’s clear it really shows off my slipmat. A-

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Heath posted:

How does that even happen? Did they leave it near a hot stove?

Buddy, that’s a Hot Stamper ™

pwn
May 27, 2004

Speaking of Crosley, on my walk last night (I live in a college town) I spotted this box by somebody’s garbage can

And i was like, buddy, the garbage is still in the house!! :whatup:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

fucken pwn’d

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
I've always traveled too much to have a vinyl collection (hence my lovely rokblok*) but now that I'm mostly settled I'm looking for a decent beginner to mid-level turntable. What are the options folks would recommend me looking into?

* Holy gently caress do they damage the poo poo out of records

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

AT-LP120 is pretty much the beginning and end of the list.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I bought a crosley c200 which broke almost immediately which I then returned and replaced with a u-turn orbit plus. It's much better.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Thanks!!

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
I bought a fluance rt81 since i read some audiophile bullshit about the usb in the at-120 messing with the 'tone'. same price range and its served me well. id probably get the 120 if i had to do it over but the fluance does look nifty

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

You don't need a USB connection to digitize records and I wish more people knew this.

pwn
May 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

You don't need a USB connection to digitize records and I wish more people knew this.

It makes it easy but i love to learn new things so please run me through what i’d have to do.

This sounds aggressive but I really wanna know!

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

pwn posted:

It makes it easy but i love to learn new things so please run me through what i’d have to do.

run your output into your comp mic jack then hit record in audacity. ive never actually done this but im sure it would work fine

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

pwn posted:

One of the standard 3.5mm jacks on pretty much every PC motherboard since 1998 is line level audio in. It appears as a "recording device" like a microphone does so you can just go from your preamp to the line in jack and hey presto your record player is now a device your computer can record audio from.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

Get one of these: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PWP047C--daddario-planet-waves-pw-p047c-1-8-inch-male-stereo-to-dual-rca-female-adapter

Plug that into the microphone jack (or ideally your computer's sound card is it's accessible via a 1/8 jack) and record the record using a program like Audacity. Make sure the adapter is stereophonic.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I feel pretty dumb now, but thank you all! I vaguely remember using A/V dongles to transfer videos back in the day, but it was always someone else’s setup.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The good news is unless you have a piece of vinyl that’s rare for whatever reason (usually due to a band being smaller more than anything) then someone else online with better equipment and more time has undoubtedly already digitized it.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

Are there advantages to running the 3.5mm jack over using USB? I have a mixer with a USB out that seems to work ok but if the mic jack is better for some reason I would love to know.

EL BROMANCE posted:

The good news is unless you have a piece of vinyl that’s rare for whatever reason (usually due to a band being smaller more than anything) then someone else online with better equipment and more time has undoubtedly already digitized it.

Haha I remember my lofty goals of digitizing my record collection. It took doing two records before I realized what an insane task it was. Now I just make mixes for myself because spotify doesn't have everything and making mixes is fun. Uploading to mixcloud is a cool way to carry some of my collection around.

Also my Tom Petty Wildflowers came in. I have been waiting forever for a re-release! Really nice record. Sounds great. I got the 3 disc version. 9 seems a bit much even for one of my favorites.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

sporklift posted:

Are there advantages to running the 3.5mm jack over using USB? I have a mixer with a USB out that seems to work ok but if the mic jack is better for some reason I would love to know.

Fewer ADC and DAC stages I guess.

Also for those wondering the difference between the mic 3.5mm and the line in 3.5mm in your PC is that they are the same circuit, but the line in one skips the lovely onboard preamp. For that reason you can't actually use both the microphone jack and the line in jack at the same time. If for some reason you did need both at the same time, well... Creative Labs will sell you a PCIe Sound Blaster that can do that for $40. Seriously.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Kazinsal posted:

Fewer ADC and DAC stages I guess.

Also for those wondering the difference between the mic 3.5mm and the line in 3.5mm in your PC is that they are the same circuit, but the line in one skips the lovely onboard preamp. For that reason you can't actually use both the microphone jack and the line in jack at the same time. If for some reason you did need both at the same time, well... Creative Labs will sell you a PCIe Sound Blaster that can do that for $40. Seriously.

Ah. Ok. I guess I had always avoided the 3.5 jack because they sounded like poo poo on my older computers. So I run my turntables through my main mixer which runs line out to a USB mixer to the computer. I'll have to try running straight to the 3.5.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

sporklift posted:

Ah. Ok. I guess I had always avoided the 3.5 jack because they sounded like poo poo on my older computers. So I run my turntables through my main mixer which runs line out to a USB mixer to the computer. I'll have to try running straight to the 3.5.

The DAC in your USB mixer is probably better by some minuscule amount and might have a slightly higher noise floor, but modern integrated audio DACs are expected to put out 5.1 at high volume so even relatively inexpensive motherboards tend to have some capacitors for signal filtering and the like.

We've come a long way since AC97.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

I've got a short list of records that are fairly rare but not sought after where the problem is that someone will have digitized it, but badly. So there's one bad quality copy floating around and no one either cares enough to make a better one or has the record available.

It's not helping matters that in one case the band has put up their old stuff on bandcamp and I swear it runs at the wrong speed. I've listened to the lovely youtube copy for years and maybe that runs at the wrong speed, sure, but the other one just doesn't sound right. While I'm going on about it I might as well put up a link I guess:

Bandcamp album: https://thejetblackberries.bandcamp.com/album/desperate-fires
Youtube playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6tP8wWgAJ83RcEauBYRyzHf2hoXO4l1v
different album to compare that I'd say is the "correct" speed: https://thejetblackberries.bandcamp.com/album/sundown-on-venus

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

This conversation takes me back to my days recording mix tapes from vinyl to cassette tapes. I still preferred that method after getting a dual tape deck because it was way easier to queue songs on a record.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

I feel pretty dumb now, but thank you all! I vaguely remember using A/V dongles to transfer videos back in the day, but it was always someone else’s setup.

Not necessary. It's not like I was born knowing this poo poo.

sporklift posted:

Haha I remember my lofty goals of digitizing my record collection. It took doing two records before I realized what an insane task it was. Now I just make mixes for myself because spotify doesn't have everything and making mixes is fun. Uploading to mixcloud is a cool way to carry some of my collection around.

Also my Tom Petty Wildflowers came in. I have been waiting forever for a re-release! Really nice record. Sounds great. I got the 3 disc version. 9 seems a bit much even for one of my favorites.

So they say. I've never used a USB connection. I was just putting it out there because a lot of people base their choice of turntable on the USB port or will otherwise be discouraged if they don't have that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's not helping matters that in one case the band has put up their old stuff on bandcamp and I swear it runs at the wrong speed. I've listened to the lovely youtube copy for years and maybe that runs at the wrong speed, sure, but the other one just doesn't sound right.

Ah reminds me of the times John Peel would play a track on BBC Radio 1 at both 33 and 45 because he wasn't sure which was right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k
My vinyl LP is now very real :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT5WwsSgx8M