Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also never forget this hilariously atrocious attempt by the games industry to gamify a classical literary work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zQMJB8PSJM

NWS for cgi nudity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Mekchu posted:

If you can do it in the summer assuming covid19 settles down, shakespeare in the park is good for nyc goons too

Isn’t admission hard because of its popularity?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eat My Fuc posted:

I think the biggest issue with American Lit classes in highschool is that at least in the south a lot of it is focused on racial issues with some great books like To Kill a Mockingbird and Huckleberry Finn, but we aren't taught any of this poo poo by black novelists. I can't think of a single black novelist that was taught in my schooling before I dropped out in the 12th, poets yes but even that was an elective I took. We didn't read a single novel written by a black person in "african american lit" only poetry, letters, and essays...like what?

Uncle Tom's Cabin wasnt on your reading list?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TV Zombie posted:

Isn’t admission hard because of its popularity?

TBH idk, i got tickets via my uncle so maybe.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Mekchu posted:

Uncle Tom's Cabin wasnt on your reading list?

The writer of that novel was white, but it also was not on our reading list no.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eat My Fuc posted:

The writer of that novel was white, but it also was not on our reading list no.

It wasn't on ours either lol and :doh:

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

We had 'Native Son' but I can't think of anything else there.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Fences by August Wilson and Walter Dean Myers books should be regulars in high school curricula by now, so things are changing a bit.

Both are African American writers with Walter Dean Myers writing more modern young adult literature.

TV Zombie fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 28, 2020

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Mekchu posted:

It wasn't on ours either lol and :doh:

The way they don't teach ya in school I don't blame you for not knowing. It's a mess, no standards.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mekchu posted:

"Ho give me my longsword!"

*cuts to a shot of a gun in a case that has "longsword" written on it*

Love the schlock

I stand by my belief that Romeo+Juliet is one of the truest productions. It's the level of high schlock and melodrama that the play deserves and is meant to evoke.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Townsends is the best discovery I've made in a long time. I'm a pervert for 18th/19th century poo poo so watching this very nice man in an olde timey kitchen making these old recipes is the best poo poo in the world for me.

https://youtu.be/tJVzAvGGvR8

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Mekchu posted:

Tbh mybfavorite classical works were The Aeneid and Dante's Inferno but I am a weird person.

Something was cool about the author of one epic being the guide/compass for the author of another epic within the story. it was all very meta and cool to my 17 year old self.

Dante's Inferno is the best self-insert fanfic I've ever read.

Mekchu posted:

Also never forget this hilariously atrocious attempt by the games industry to gamify a classical literary work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zQMJB8PSJM

NWS for cgi nudity

This game ruled. It was so dumb. The first fight is literally Dante killing the grim reaper and stealing his scythe and then he fights a bunch of demon babies that climb out of a giant succubus' nipples and the ending sets up a sequel that never happens where you probably fight God.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 28, 2020

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
We read Frederick Douglass like crazy back in my Texas high school. Y’all didn’t read Frederick Douglass?

Should have read a lot more, but dang.

It’s weird like—I’ve tried incorporating better books by minority authors, but a lot of the ones available at my school are just badly written (Tears of a Tiger, I’m looking at you) and I can’t stand behind them as I teach them. The books we have that are exciting and good and grade level are written by white dudes mostly. Your basic funding problem. I remember in my first year requesting some basic books for my eighty+ students and L-O-L as they did the education admin game of telling me that was gonna happen while they waited me out until I would hunker down and realized outside help (as in, help outside me) wasn’t coming.

I try in normal years to supplement with a lot of articles and short stories, because those are easier to distribute. Right now it’s just whatever we have access to on StudySync, which is very hot or miss.

Stories are good; most kids aren’t reading them right now. Sucks.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Not fiction but CLR James and du Bois should be in every high school curriculum

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Even though the texts available in school are badly written, are the students engaging with them? That's something at least.

Jamaica Kincaid should be read.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Here in the UK, for English class I mostly remember reading a few contemporary young adult novels, 3-4 Shakespeare plays, Great Expectations, R. C. Sherriff's Journey's End, and some assorted WW1 poetry. We also had a book of world lit short stories, but the only writer I remember from it is Amy Tan.

Great Expectations is great, and it seemed like the class mostly enjoyed it so that was nice. It took me a long time to get into Shakespeare, like so many (it didn't help that most of the ones I did for school were comedies), but getting to grips with the histories of them at a higher level and seeing some of the best adaptations of them really helped. The only one I remember us watching in school was, of all things, the Polanski/Playboy version of Macbeth, lol. I appreciated the WW1 poetry but, man, it really is soul-sapping stuff. And it being paired with Journey's End, a WW1-set play, I think I was burned out by the end, which sucks.

There was a half-hearted attempt to get more writers of colour and from different backgrounds onto the curriculum when I was at school, which was always doomed because the people who organise the curriculum are mostly massive Tories and from what I've heard it's only gotten worse in recent years. Regardless, British education has almost always had nothing but disdain for all American literature, straight white writers included. It's a shame, because modern American short stories, poetry, etc are infinitely more interesting and varied than our own. I had university and my own stuff I liked to read to make up for it but most aren't so lucky.

Occasionally you might get Of Mice and Men but that's about it.

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 28, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gumball Gumption posted:

I stand by my belief that Romeo+Juliet is one of the truest productions. It's the level of high schlock and melodrama that the play deserves and is meant to evoke.

It's the first time I ever watched the,"Do you bite your tongue at me, sir?" bit and legitimately thought,"Well gently caress, no wonder this lead to a giant loving brawl!"

Can't find the full opening, but here's the scene in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEzskNtFnIY

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

NienNunb posted:

Townsends is the best discovery I've made in a long time. I'm a pervert for 18th/19th century poo poo so watching this very nice man in an olde timey kitchen making these old recipes is the best poo poo in the world for me.

There's something wonderful about going into this expecting he's going to be cooking some sort of chicken organ stuffed pie pasty something er other and instead its just classic bacon and eggs with the most novel toaster ever then he acts weirded out about poached eggs

Also I'd really expect the toast to be done in the bacon fat but that toaster, man, that is sweet.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

No lie John Leguizamo was the only thing I liked about the SMB movie when I was a kid. And he's loving criminally underrated.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i had to read things fall apart and a story written by a slave about his time on the boat i forgot his name though sorry to him. shakespeare is pretty tite

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Critical posted:

No lie John Leguizamo was the only thing I liked about the SMB movie when I was a kid. And he's loving criminally underrated.

Leguizamo apparently told an amazing story about how everybody loving HATED working on that movie and would just chill at his place when not on set, smoking weed and talking poo poo. They didn't tell Bob Hoskins because they thought as a serious and respected actor he'd disapprove. When he found out towards the end of the shoot he took Leguizamo aside and told him he was deeply disappointed... he wasn't told earlier because holy gently caress did he need to blaze up to get through this shithouse film :lol:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bob Hoskins getting baked is a great visual.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

u seen the long good friday? sick hoskins movie. forgot if i posted about it here or not

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

don't spam your opinions over and over.

editing this to say i'm sorry. you weren't really saying the same stuff about it in the posts. i was frustrated by seeing you had brought it up multiple times during the pandemic but that's your right. posting, that is. i'm always trying to do better

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Oct 28, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

yea ok posted:

u seen the long good friday? sick hoskins movie. forgot if i posted about it here or not

It's a fantastic film, haven't watched it in years though, I should remedy that. Mona Lisa too probably while I'm at it.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 28, 2020

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Cavauro posted:

don't spam your opinions over and over.

editing this to say i'm sorry. you weren't really saying the same stuff about it in the posts. i was frustrated by seeing you had brought it up multiple times during the pandemic but that's your right. posting, that is. i'm always trying to do better

Quoting this just to frustrate you by being quoted. When the quote is on the other foot we'll see how you like it.

edit: my deepest apologies

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

It's a fantastic film, haven't watched it in years though, I should remedy that. Mona Lisa too probably while I'm at it.

i been wanting to check out mona lisa for a minute.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
i liked bob hoskins as kruschev in enemy at the gates.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKhKBNS1fPc&t=65s

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

yea ok posted:

That's one of the best British gangster films of all time, I really need to watch it again sometime soon here

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I didn’t like Romeo+Juliet but mostly because I just really can’t stand Baz. Can’t even put my finger on it really. It’s like every scene is trying to get himself over as the director rather than the actors or the story or anything else. I have bad movie opinions. I’m sorry if you read this.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mostly I resent Baz for recording a number 1 single that I didn't like

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
There were four movies my female friends dragged me to again-and-again in high school and college because I was the one with a car.

Romeo + Juliet
The Craft
The Crush
Bram Stoker's Dracula

Combined I saw those movies NINETEEN times, both first-run, second-run, drive-in, and home video. It's amazing I still like Garbage despite hearing "#1 Crush" again and again and again and again...

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

I didn’t like Romeo+Juliet but mostly because I just really can’t stand Baz. Can’t even put my finger on it really. It’s like every scene is trying to get himself over as the director rather than the actors or the story or anything else. I have bad movie opinions. I’m sorry if you read this.

Hello, me

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Moulin Rouge is pretty fun but that and Romeo+Juliet are probably his high points. Strictly Ballroom was alright, Australia looked dogshit and was a gigantic flop and I just never bothered to get around to watching The Great Gatsby and I haven't really heard anything positive or negative about it since it came out.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Baz Luhrmann sounds like a fake pro wrestling name. Very suspicious

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Jerusalem posted:

Australia looked dogshit and was a gigantic flop

And don't get me started on the movie!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Seams posted:

And don't get me started on the movie!

Hiyo!

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

NienNunb posted:

I started watching Townsends like a decade ago when all he was doing was demoing stuff that was in their catalog because I do a lot of camping lol. Crazy to see how much it's evolved over the years.

My bad teaching experience was that I went into a community college out of high school and for some reason they required that I take a placement exam for English because of my major. Like a day before the exam happened I came down with a nasty inner ear infection that made it difficult to stand upright and also made it feel like my head was on the verge of exploding 24 hours a day. I got meds for the pain and nausea and called the college and was like "yeah I need to take this later cause my poo poo is super hosed up" and their response was "we can't reschedule the exam just do your best and we'll deal with it later." I knew this was bullshit but was too burnt out to do anything about so I went and took that test high as a kite and fighting not to fall out of the chair. I remember parts of being driven by my girlfriend at the time to the test, I remember sitting down in a chair in front of a computer, and subsequently remember literally nothing else about the test or even the remaining two days of that week. Like a month later they called me to come down and talk to the registration representative who proceeded to tell me that they were going to put me in a severely remedial English program because of how bad I did. They were convinced that I had to be some kind of ESL student because clearly I could barely read let alone write. It took weeks before I get some random high school stuff to count towards the requirement and skip all that poo poo anyway. Why they didn't just let me reschedule the test is a mystery for the ages I guess. To this day I wonder what was on it that made them think I was functionally illiterate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Little late to the Shakespeare talk, but back in the before times there was a tiny production in NYC called Drunk Shakespeare where a troupe of like 5 people would do one of a couple plays with lots of ad libbing while drinking heavily. The theater was super small and set up like a library with it’s own bar, there was (optional) audience participation and the actors seemed like they were having a lot of fun with it. I’d assume they aren’t going to be running any time soon, but hopefully it comes back eventually because it was by far the most fun I’ve had watching a play.