Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

After my 2020 playthrough, I will concede that Alien: Isolation is probably a bit too long. I wouldn't actually cut any notable content from it, but the last 1/4th of the game has an absolutely needless amount of back and forth. "turn on the generator, oh no the generator blew go turn it on again" which involves 5 minutes of needless backtracking. repeat. Everything up through the nest is gravy. Which is about 15 hours in. But then you have 5 more hours to go. 2 of those 5 hours are some of the best stuff in the game, but the other 3 feel like they were trying to pad out a game that is already abnormally long, which is weird.

Still one of my faves though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's especially jarring because the first Alien film is SO lean, like there's absolutely zero fat, it's not even 2 hours long.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My take after playing it the first time was "maybe they could have cut the synthetic workshop area?" but no. That part is really good, outside of the introduction of the annoying biosuit androids that magically are immune to everything because they are wearing rubber suits.

But the last part of the game definitely could have been hacked down by a few hours. All the tedium of backtracking kind of kills the coolest moments a bit. I was at the point where I was just treating the alien like an annoying pest, blasting off brief flamethrower bursts to get him to gently caress off every 5 seconds. I was just so ready for it to end. Then you are finally about to get to the Torrens and the alien grabs you and that whole sequence with the tram/next nest happens, and it's one of the cooler parts of the game. But I couldn't actually enjoy it because I was so sick of the "gotcha" moments.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's especially jarring because the first Alien film is SO lean, like there's absolutely zero fat, it's not even 2 hours long.

Everybody in both film and games has forgotten how to edit.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VideoGames posted:

Woke up thinking about playing Bloodborne later. I get why people say this game is the best exclusive. My GOTY 2020 list is going to have an entry I was not expecting to put on the list.

Also listened to a bit of the stream and the sony headphones are not great at microphone. I am going to try a couple of others. I think streaming is the key to having so much fun. :3:

Please tag me on discord if you stream later! I’d love to watch.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This is just a wild guess on my part, but it's possible that a full priced AAA game with no MP was a hard sell in 2014 and they were under pressure to push it into RPG length territory to make it more marketable.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

The playstation goon nation? You betcha! :3:

Just chilling here at work, thinking about that forest and what I might find in there. Also thinking about how to parry some of the other dudes for some sweet visceral attacks.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

VideoGames posted:

Just chilling here at work, thinking about that forest and what I might find in there.

Spooky ghosts 😳

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

veni veni veni posted:

This is just a wild guess on my part, but it's possible that a full priced AAA game with no MP was a hard sell in 2014 and they were under pressure to push it into RPG length territory to make it more marketable.

Even now the mention in a review that a game might take less than an arbitrary amount of time to finish has people frothing at the mouth.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

When reviews are like "this game only takes 10 hours to finish" my feeling is relief.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

VideoGames posted:

The playstation goon nation? You betcha! :3:

Just chilling here at work, thinking about that forest and what I might find in there. Also thinking about how to parry some of the other dudes for some sweet visceral attacks.

beware of blobby thing

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

exquisite tea posted:

When reviews are like "this game only takes 10 hours to finish" my feeling is relief.

Me: "I might be able to finish this before I die of boredom!"

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

VideoGames posted:

Woke up thinking about playing Bloodborne later. I get why people say this game is the best exclusive. My GOTY 2020 list is going to have an entry I was not expecting to put on the list.

Also listened to a bit of the stream and the sony headphones are not great at microphone. I am going to try a couple of others. I think streaming is the key to having so much fun. :3:

Hell yes, I’m gonna get on now and make sure I have a fancy arcane build to use, if you decide to let us invade you or summon, but there’s a little cool feature that makes the people you summon hostile if they’re in certain convenants, specifically the covenant Eileen is a part of, ‘The Hunter of Hunters’, the executioner and the vilebloods, (the executioners are Alfred’s people) and even if you summon the other two as a vileblood, or basically a combination of the three (I forget exactly how it works but executioners and vilebloods are always enemies, Hunter of hunters will be hostile with vilebloods, and hunters of hunters will sometimes be hostile to each other). But this way we can still like gently caress around and not necessarily help you too much, but if someone invades then we can be like your body guards. I found the weird covenant enemy faction thing out the hard way by being in the Vileblood covenant and summoning a friend who was an executioner and we realized we were able to deal friendly fire and were hitting each other during the boss fight.

But you seemed to be following the lore, which is cool, because right after the woods you’re in now the game gets weird as hell. It’s easy to just say ‘oh yeah it’s all the healing church and uh the sky and the cosmos are one and there’s a pale moon sky, and that’s what’s causing all of this ’, but the lore really is sort of tightly written and I think it’s a lot better than dark souls because it’s not so abstract, or I think it’s a lot less obtuse than dark souls, which has stuff like like ‘the fire’ representing ‘everything’ and ‘nothing’, basically existence itself, and the opening cutscene starts with a line about the fire that says "But then there was Fire, and with Fire came disparity. Heat and cold, life and death, and of course, light and dark. Then from the dark, they came, and found the Souls of Lords within the flame." And it’s interesting, but it’s an abstract concept of souls being linked to fire and darkness or whatever, and in addition to that the story takes place over thousands or hundreds of thousands of years. But Bloodborne takes place over the course of like at least a generation or two, not counting the history of the tombs below Yharnam, but we meet Gehrman who knew Laurence who founded the healing church, so the timeline is at least within one man’s lifetime.

But there’s so many cool little things in the game that actually reflects what the lore says, like, if you remember, Alfred hates the Vilebloods, as he says something like ‘long ago, a scholar betrayed his fellow students at Byrgenwerth and brought back forbidden blood’ (presumably from the chalice dungeons which are the tombs below Yharnam they refer to) ‘and it was then the first of the inhuman Vilebloods was born. The Vilebloods are fiendish creatures and threaten the purity of the healing church and must be stopped’, so that’s why even if you summon someone to be a co op partner, but they’re in one of the three covenants I mentioned, they’ll be able to be hostile. Also insight is tied to a lot of cool stuff like frenzy and beast hood, etc. in addition to other neat stuff that all makes sense as it’s literally just knowledge.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Oct 28, 2020

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
beat amnesia rebirth too. liked it. first frictional games game i've played through since both penumbras. dont quite get what was going on with the story i thought for sure the queen was "rebirthing" herself through tasi, with the increased pregnancy stuff and the vitae but then she just wants to raise the kid in the wasteland? uhh. then again theres lots of the environment and mise en scene to work through, i picked the destroy everything route first thinking tasi could get to the portal in time, because goddamn it you loving could have. ended up replaying the last bit a few times and got 4 variations of the ending. kinda interested to see what happens if you dont take the vitae earlier on but i might just youtube that. also not really sure how and why people were turning into monsters? i get the crew were cos of drinking from the spring water but why did all the people in the dark world turn into monsters? and where did this red flesh come from, is that older amnesia games stuff? also maybe the queen was lying about everything cos it sure seemed that way with her being some resident evil cocoon monster now. not even sure how tasi ended up back at the plane after all that.

anyway, thought early game handle the horror well, the early matches/oil running out sucks but got better and the early horror was 100% due to not knowing anything. the fort was loving insane for me, i thought i was gonna have an heart attack during that entire section, and the section before it in the dark world and i'm half convince my brain was making things up on the shadows, i swear i saw one of the ghouls peek around the corner once as i was sneaking away near the breakable floor section. the only way i got through that without health issues was pumping the gamma up and actually seeing the monsters once it caught me and then put the gamma back down and things went standard horror after that, got used to the jpg jump scares and things went okay, just standard freaky moments, not actual heart pounding terror.

areas i liked are the dark world stuff the later areas with all the weird poo poo going on and the later monsters with the lights were cool. kinda wanted to see more of that place and figure out what went on, they seem to drop off a few things but maybe i missed some files or memories. i liked the area back in the roman ruins where you open a door and theres shiiiiiiiiiiitloads of loving ghouls all sleeping and you have to sneak around them, i casually opened the door and my eyes went wide and i never blinked during that entire section. :eyepop:

i hear soma is better so maybe ill give that a go soonish.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Oct 28, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Me: "I might be able to finish this before I die of boredom!"

Those last two hours of Bloodborne really drag.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Yeah I just installed Soma too because its halloween season and I want more spooks.

I went to buy it and it turns out that I already own it and forgot that i bought it haha

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

lol

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

exquisite tea posted:

Do they? I mean, the nightmare frontier and the lecture hall stuff and the last area, maybe, but I like the level design and vibe of those areas, more than most people. I think if anything Hemwick and Old Yharnam are more tedious but it’s hard to say as I’ve beaten it like 8 times. Bloodborne is pretty lean compared to all of the Souls games, especially cause there’s like more optional bosses than required ones, so you can beat the game in 12(ish)hours or 80. Sekiro is also nicely paced and imo doesn’t have much or any filler, and on subsequent play throughs you can easily beat it in a few hours playing at a casual pace.

I agree tho, games are too long and in general I wouldn’t mind if games were like ten hours on average, instead of 30 or whatever. Except for From games, they can be as long as they want, and they’re probably the only games that I’m glad aren’t short.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Oct 28, 2020

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
wait is nightmare frontier/lecture hall stuff the last area? because i got stuck on fighting rom, but i had that stone i got in the woods and after watching vg stream and seeing the big thing grab him in the church, i realized i need to walk into the portal to get the stone of work, so i went there and ended up at the nightmare lecture hall and frontier, it seemed to me to be one of those hidden optional areas that are in from games?

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Vikar Jerome posted:

wait is nightmare frontier/lecture hall stuff the last area? because i got stuck on fighting rom, but i had that stone i got in the woods and after watching vg stream and seeing the big thing grab him in the church, i realized i need to walk into the portal to get the stone of work, so i went there and ended up at the nightmare lecture hall and frontier, it seemed to me to be one of those hidden optional areas that are in from games?

Yeah basically, but there’s also the Unseen Village then the Nightmare of Mensis, which is the last area of the game. The Nightmare Frontier is optional

basically you can get the tonsil stone, beat the boss in Yaharguul, then go to the Nightmare of Mensis and once you beat the two bosses in that area you can fight the final boss(es). But the optional areas are cool and worth doing, Upper Cathedral Ward is one of my favorite areas and easily missable and has two bosses and really cool items, etc. Cainhurst Castle is also easily missable and you can miss a boss, covenant and quest line or two if you don’t do it. Darkbeast Paarl is optional, Nightmare Frontier is optional, even the cleric beast, Blood starved beast, Witch of Hemwick, the final boss(es) are even optional. And obviously all the sides areas I mentioned have optional bosses. Out of the 5 bosses in the DLC only 1 is ‘optional’, even tho they’re all kinda optional I guess. So that’s 10 optional bosses and 7 required, or 11 optional and 11 required if you count the DLC.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Oct 28, 2020

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Caesar Saladin posted:

Yeah I just installed Soma too because its halloween season and I want more spooks.

I went to buy it and it turns out that I already own it and forgot that i bought it haha

I had the same experience (although on PC) and I'm too scared to even start it :ohdear:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

lmao Watch Dogs Legion has a critical bug that's overheating consoles and shutting them down for hours.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

lmao Watch Dogs Legion has a critical bug that's overheating consoles and shutting them down for hours.

Not a bug

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

the mission it takes place in is called "404"

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

After my 2020 playthrough, I will concede that Alien: Isolation is probably a bit too long. I wouldn't actually cut any notable content from it, but the last 1/4th of the game has an absolutely needless amount of back and forth. "turn on the generator, oh no the generator blew go turn it on again" which involves 5 minutes of needless backtracking. repeat. Everything up through the nest is gravy. Which is about 15 hours in. But then you have 5 more hours to go. 2 of those 5 hours are some of the best stuff in the game, but the other 3 feel like they were trying to pad out a game that is already abnormally long, which is weird.

Still one of my faves though.

I just watched a NoClip video released yesterday that talked about how the game was originally going to be a third person game due to industry trends, and the footage seemed to look like it played sort of like The Last Of Us. It seems like the development was long and challenging as a result of the perspective change and partially due to the reception of Aliens: Colonial Marines, but my guess it was either originally meant to be played through a bit faster and/or that they just wanted to get it done and out.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Escobarbarian posted:

Is there a way to tag everyone? I feel like VG streaming should be a worldwide klaxon, a national holiday, a celestial event

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Imhotep posted:

Do they? I mean, the nightmare frontier and the lecture hall stuff and the last area, maybe, but

It was a 12 hour joke

Seedge posted:

Is there a way to tag everyone? I feel like VG streaming should be a worldwide klaxon, a national holiday, a celestial event

Yeah! But I think only myself and VG can do it. Maybe also the mods? I don’t remember what permissions I set.

Man the last part of Eileen’s storyline is fuckin hard

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Necrothatcher posted:

the mission it takes place in is called "404"

that is very amusing.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/watch-dogs-legion-is-overheating-xbox-one-x-consoles/1100-6483843/

Tbh this is one of the next-ish gen games I was interested in getting but I'd rather it not obliterate a brand new PS5

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Fun fact: BL3 has an overheating automatic shutdown bug on One X too. It's had it since launch. It's never been fixed.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Software causing the hardware to overheat and shutdown sounds more like a hardware bug to me

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Volte posted:

Software causing the hardware to overheat and shutdown sounds more like a hardware bug to me

that probably feels like splitting hairs when you're toasting marshmallows over flaming plastic

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
In the case of bl3 afaik, the system isn't actually overheating, why it's a bug.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Necrothatcher posted:

that probably feels like splitting hairs when you're toasting marshmallows over flaming plastic
If the hardware is actually being damaged from overheating, that's unambiguously a hardware flaw.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Volte posted:

On PC I would agree. But the console is a curated enviroment where Sony could have reasons to give people direct access to hardware of the type that may cause harm, and still curate the games to make sure not harm is done. On a console is not has clear cut (to me). I would still have a preference for a console OS that disallow true damage from games, because memory corruption or rare bugs are things that exists. One in a million events happens every hour somewhere when you run one millon lines of code, or one million X, etc.

Tei fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 28, 2020

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Anthem made PS4s shut down too

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ZeeBoi posted:

Small mercy

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

ZeeBoi posted:

Anthem does weird poo poo to consoles.

https://twitter.com/Dr_Drecula/status/1233568012076298240?s=20

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

BUGSNAX for free for PS+ users who buy a PS5:

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/10/28/playstation-plus-collection-details-revealed-your-november-playstation-plus-games/

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hi guys

Heard we were talking bout Bugsnax