Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1316017181293867015?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Wait a moment, is that meant to be the painting villain from the 3DS game, surely not. Anyway Master Koga seemed an obvious inclusion to round out the villain side so this isn't very surprising.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Could be Agahnim

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Agahnim would fit the kind of deep cuts HW1 did with its playable cast, but wow they'd be pulling him out of retirement wouldn't they?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

FPzero posted:

Agahnim would fit the kind of deep cuts HW1 did with its playable cast, but wow they'd be pulling him out of retirement wouldn't they?

I mean he'd fit given Ganondorf/Ganon is currently disembodied and he's basically a sort of zombie body for Ganon to use when sealed or something?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

FPzero posted:

Would make a lot of sense if the whole ancient tech suddenly corrupted, divine beasts hacked, ganon released was helped by some experts on magic/tech. I don't think anything in BotW said there was a traitor, just one day Red Lines and suddenly everything went bad.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I can't wait to learn how Kohga survived 100 years.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Considering Impa, Purah, and Robbie are all still alive in BotW, and the Yiga are evil Sheikah, who's to say Kohga in BotW isn't actually like a 120+ year old dude? Maybe that's why his fight isn't too hard, and he'll be more dangerous in this game.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

Isnt the title a generational thing? Like I might be misremembering but didn’t the boss in BOTW call himself like the 35th?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bongo Bill posted:

Sheikah live a long-rear end time. Purah, Robbie and Impa are also still around after 100 years

Also you can see he has a young and fit model in HW, the fat stuff is from cutscenes in BotW.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Zore posted:

Sheikah live a long-rear end time. Purah, Robbie and Impa are also still around after 100 years

Also you can see he has a young and fit model in HW, the fat stuff is from cutscenes in BotW.

There's two important Yiga members in the video, the fit one fighting Link isn't Kohga. You can see both of them next to each other around 22 seconds in.

Something interesting I saw people bring up elsewhere is the possibility that the hooded person is the fortune-teller mentioned offhand in BotW who told the king to dig up the Divine Beasts, and that they did so so that Ganon could possess them.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I believe Master Kohga is a title (as opposed to Master being the title).

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

mastajake posted:

Ah, so kind of like the Dread Pirate Roberts. If you have the job, you get the name.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

mastajake posted:

The big Zelda gamepedia wiki supports this and if I'm reading it right Kohga specifically is the title that's handed down according to an art/commentary book called Creating a Champion, which focused on BOTW.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVe0gjYHP5U

A new trailer that doesn't really show anything new. Though now I'm fairly convinced if you find all the Koroks you get Hestu as a secret playable character.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I went to amazon to place my preorder, saw the DE edition show up and holy gently caress its on there for 65 bucks used, used at an acceptable quality. Cartridge only, in fact all the used listings are cartridge only. You're looking at throwing 80 clams to get a new copy just to have a drat case. This pandemic really just hosed poo poo right up, didn't it?

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope

Leal posted:

I went to amazon to place my preorder, saw the DE edition show up and holy gently caress its on there for 65 bucks used, used at an acceptable quality. Cartridge only, in fact all the used listings are cartridge only. You're looking at throwing 80 clams to get a new copy just to have a drat case. This pandemic really just hosed poo poo right up, didn't it?

I went hunting for this after AoC was announced. Places I thought might still being carrying it were no good (Gamestop, etc.) managed to find one new in Walmart of all places. So, my advice check the generic big name stores as they seem to hold on to relatively old games far longer than other places.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Demo is available for Age of Calamity today!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Dang, I was tricked into thinking the demo was even more massive than it is because of the four chapter 2 quests opening up that I left while I did the open side-quests. (Trying to pick them tells you the demo's over, but your save can carry over.)

All three demo characters are pretty dang fun, though. Zelda's technical trap-master thing took a bit, but also her Sheikah Slate powers are augmented over Link and Impa's.

Wondering where the story's going. The mini-Guardian is explicitly a time-traveler and comes back with video footage from the Calamity, and also it seems there's an Evil One that ominously watches Zelda's group in a scene.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I'm hoping the full version will let us change over to the other controls like HW did. I have tons of muscle memory from that control scheme and kept messing up while playing.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Potential (roster/story) spoilers through datamined icons:

Link, Zelda, Rhoam, Mipha, Daruk, Revali,
Urbosa, Impa, Sidon, Yunobo, Teba, Riju , Hestu
Great Fairy, Master Kohga, Maz Koshia, Egg Guardian, Ganon(?)

Should be noted these are map icons, and some may not actually be playable, but it's as close to confirmation as we have for the base game (obviously DLC may add more). So up to 18 characters at base, not counting alternate movesets.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

There’s a demo now? When’s the full version out?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

b_d posted:

There’s a demo now? When’s the full version out?
Nov. 20 is the listed release date.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hogama posted:

Should be noted these are map icons, and some may not actually be playable, but it's as close to confirmation as we have for the base game (obviously DLC may add more). So up to 18 characters at base, not counting alternate movesets.

Huh

Are they going to time travel back the future Champions along with the Egg Guardian? Also the DLC boss should be a fun one to adap

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Zore posted:

Huh

Are they going to time travel back the future Champions along with the Egg Guardian? Also the DLC boss should be a fun one to adap
That would be my guess. The opening cutscene, when showing the mural, has two champions on each of the Divine Beasts. BotW only had one apiece.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
I'm so confused as to how impa works but I'm sure I'll figure her out after a few more missions

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Hogama posted:

that surprises/disappoints me if purah and robbie arent playable, but i guess thats a lot of sheikah scientist movesets to make

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I'm so confused as to how impa works but I'm sure I'll figure her out after a few more missions

Same but with Zelda and I don't think I'll figure her out

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Same but with Zelda and I don't think I'll figure her out

Zelda feels more familiar than Impa does to me - a little like book Lana or spinner Link

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I like the little egg robot.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Hogama posted:

Dang, I was tricked into thinking the demo was even more massive than it is because of the four chapter 2 quests opening up that I left while I did the open side-quests. (Trying to pick them tells you the demo's over, but your save can carry over.)

All three demo characters are pretty dang fun, though. Zelda's technical trap-master thing took a bit, but also her Sheikah Slate powers are augmented over Link and Impa's.

Wondering where the story's going. The mini-Guardian is explicitly a time-traveler and comes back with video footage from the Calamity, and also it seems there's an Evil One that ominously watches Zelda's group in a scene.

I am very happy they went this route, the mini-Guardian not being present in BOTW sticks this into AU-ville at least removes the guarantee of a "rocks fall everyone dies" Bad Ending, even if that's where it eventually ends up

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Impa owns and I love her, it really boils down to using ZR + X to build up some initial runes and then go to town on everything forever

Mission 2 I used her to ignore the "flee" prompt and just killed the guardian outright, turns out that just ends the mission then and there-- I was a little surprised when I got back to the map screen and had Zelda as a playable and had to go redo the mission properly to figure out what actually happened

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Spent 5 minutes trying to get the time for dodge flurry down. Either I'm misreading the attacks or its nearly frame perfect timing. The only ones I mamaged to pull of seemed like blind luck when dodging nonstop.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Along the same lines, either I can't figure out the timing, or only Link (out of the three playable thus far) can successfully parry a laser.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I’ve only done the first mission but I love the combat change so far. Dash attacks are a nice addition, the wall jumps and different attacks out of the aerial state seem really cool, and the shiekah slate is a much better implemented version of the items from the first game. I was worried the game would end up feeling like Hyrule warriors: Less Content edition but it really seems like a step up.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The controls probably feel off if you've been playing a lot of regular Hyrule Warriors but I've spent the last week plowing through Breath of the Wild and it fits pretty well.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

YggiDee posted:

The controls probably feel off if you've been playing a lot of regular Hyrule Warriors but I've spent the last week plowing through Breath of the Wild and it fits pretty well.

I've been playing so much Hades that my brain has just become rewired to this control scheme and I'd probably have to switch to warriors controls in HWDE if I went back to it

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Friend and I have been tackling the last warriors game because this stuff is like crack to her. So she ran over today to show off the demo and we ran into our first guardian:

Her: oh poo poo a guardian we gotta run :ohdear:

Me: oh poo poo a guardian TIME TO DIE :black101:

And then I nailed my first attempt at a laser parry

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
So, how many Koroks have you found so far?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Hogama posted:

So, how many Koroks have you found so far?

Two in each level, myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

mastajake posted:

Two in each level, myself.
Seems the highest count found is 6 per level now. Gonna be some really out of the way and non-obvious ones for sure.

Another thing from the demo (not datamining this time) - the combo screen seems to imply that Impa only gets the one weapon, but that Zelda will have at least one more (maybe based on her sealing magic?) - look at the weapon names in white. There's nothing on Impa's. Might just be a relic of the demo build, though.