Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I really enjoyed Vavarium. It was a little rough around the edges but I thought it was very solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

The Third Day is very good, went in blind, same writer as Utopia and first half same director

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

married but discreet posted:

Vivarium is extremely dope.

Is there a dubbed version of Barbarians around, any language but German? From the trailer the fancy TV German of the Germans is absolutely unbearable, even worse than Dark.

Yeah it's dubbed in a selection of languages: English, French, Italian, Turkish. I've tried the English dub for a bit during the first few episodes and it did seem pretty decent, though there's a lot of variance in quality between voice actors. English Arminius in particular felt very :geno:

Edit: Against my better judgement I just watched the first episode of that Netflix Greek mythology anime Blood of Zeus. It's bad.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 27, 2020

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

married but discreet posted:

Is there a dubbed version of Barbarians around, any language but German? From the trailer the fancy TV German of the Germans is absolutely unbearable, even worse than Dark.

What does "fancy TV German" even mean?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finished the Third Day and yeah it was fantastic.

Although I wish it had a post credits sequence that just shows every cop in london swooping down on Osea island lol.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How To With John Wilson on HBO is great.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Keith Raniere got sentenced to 120 years today and I wish theyd just not do season 2 and give that fucker any more of a platform to spin his bullshit.

But how else will Mark Vicente stay relevant I guess.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
I don't need another streaming service, I don't need another streaming service...

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1321200516114878464?s=20

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Hulu has an actually good documentary on NXIVM called Seduced and it's only 4 parts long. It focuses more on the victims.

re: Jon Stewart, this new series will have to be amazing to wash away the stink of Irresistible, which is quite possibly the worst movie I watched in the past few years

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 27, 2020

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Yeah maybe dont call victims of a cult who left after learning of the abuses and were instrumental in taking its leader down and putting him in prison "perpetrators" and call for jail time.

What exactly is the crime they committed? Being gullible?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Have you seen the other doc? They made a lot of money from NXIVM and got a whole lot of people involved after they knew what was going on. In any case I won't be posting about them or The Vow any more.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I did and I get where youre coming from I guess but I just have some personal connections to cult victims I dont want to get into and I try to empathize as much as I can with people who were in their positions. Its not an admonishing of their actions, its just a lot more complicated than that from my experience.

A lot of the biggest figures in the fight against Scientology were high high ranking members guilty of similar stuff but theyre doing and did important work and as much as its easy to drat them for their time spent in the cult I think its worth giving these people some benefit of the doubt when theyre willing to help fight what they helped build.

I fully get why people are unsympathetic towards Mark and co. after The Vow.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

You're right and I edited my previous post to reflect that more. The Vow was frustrating because it felt like it downplayed the horrible stuff in order to justify their involvement somehow.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

DorianGravy posted:

I just watched Detective Dee: The Four Heavenly Kings. I didn't know anything about it, and I assumed it was sort-of Sherlock Holmes in ancient China (which sounded great). It starts out a bit like that, with some Wuxia elements added in, but it got increasingly mystical and strange as it went on. I liked the first two acts, but felt a little worn-out and vaguely unsatisfied by the end. I would have preferred something more grounded. This is the third of three movies, so maybe I should have watched the first two beforehand.

It is eternally amusing to me that due to a strange chain of fate, a popular seventh century magistrate in the Tang Dynasty now has movies made about him in which a fictionalized version of him fights sea dragons.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

Hulu has an actually good documentary on NXIVM called Seduced and it's only 4 parts long. It focuses more on the victims.

re: Jon Stewart, this new series will have to be amazing to wash away the stink of Irresistible, which is quite possibly the worst movie I watched in the past few years

What the gently caress was Irresistible? The movie poster says nothing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

What the gently caress was Irresistible? The movie poster says nothing.

My first thought was "isn't that the backwards movie with the 20 minute long rape scene?"

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

My first thought was "isn't that the backwards movie with the 20 minute long rape scene?"
Certainly felt like it.

Irresistible is "Both Sides: The Movie." A small-town blue-collar worker goes viral when he speaks Democratic values at a local council meeting, so a big-time Democratic strategist still reeling from the Trump win sees this as the perfect chance to recruit him as the face of the new Democratic Party.

That's the first 30 minutes of the movie.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Crows Turn Off posted:

Certainly felt like it.

Irresistible is "Both Sides: The Movie." A small-town blue-collar worker goes viral when he speaks Democratic values at a local council meeting, so a big-time Democratic strategist still reeling from the Trump win sees this as the perfect chance to recruit him as the face of the new Democratic Party.

That does not sound irresistible.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

JaneError posted:

I don't need another streaming service, I don't need another streaming service...

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1321200516114878464?s=20

Yeah, can’t wait to drop some cash every month on having someone make a funny face and tell me the truth is somewhere in the middle. We’ll be right back.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Sir Not Appearing posted:

That does not sound irresistible.

More like Irredeemable

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

The Third Day, I'm up to episode 4
It's freaking me out in the best way

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

ozmunkeh posted:

Yeah, can’t wait to drop some cash every month on having someone make a funny face and tell me the truth is somewhere in the middle. We’ll be right back.

It'll be worth it if he knocks Tucker Carlson off the air again.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Anyone know if the Sublime doc is anywhere? Things like Just Watch keep bringing me to some goofy rear end b-movie of the same name.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Crows Turn Off posted:

Certainly felt like it.

it's such a loving terrible movie and it has a twist ending that is so loving stupid I can't believe it happened. Spoilers, I guess out of pure manners, if you want to watch the bad politics movie:

The whole town is running a grift, it's a small midwestern town the guy comes from and it's an entirely fabricated moment and everyone, including his opponent and his staff, is grifting the parties to get money. It's set as some smuggo 'you coastal elites think we're dumb rubes, but we're actually smart liars' thing but it does forget that the parties don't just dump money into a city in the literal sense, but rather like...pay consultants, often from out of state, and poo poo??? So I don't know how Jim Bob the guy who runs the diner actually got a poo poo ton of money because the Democrats set up a big operation there. To be clear it's portrayed as like, a town saving level grift, everyone is somehow profiting off this. It's fittingly the kind of ending only someone who doesn't actually understand how the political campaign process works could write, which fits the whole vibe of the movie as a whole.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It'll be worth it if he knocks Tucker Carlson off the air again.
If you'd told me 10 years ago that one of these guys would have an enormously popular show and the other would be making terrible indie movies, I would have guessed Carlson would go through D'Souza to get the thing made.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Perestroika posted:

Yeah it's dubbed in a selection of languages: English, French, Italian, Turkish. I've tried the English dub for a bit during the first few episodes and it did seem pretty decent, though there's a lot of variance in quality between voice actors. English Arminius in particular felt very :geno:

Edit: Against my better judgement I just watched the first episode of that Netflix Greek mythology anime Blood of Zeus. It's bad.

Oh neat, I'll give it a try.

AccountSupervisor posted:

What does "fancy TV German" even mean?

The kind of language TV news anchors use. It's weird as gently caress to have a show where the Romans speak semi authentic latin and the 8th century saxons come waltzing in with accent free modern German.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

sexpig by night posted:

it's such a loving terrible movie and it has a twist ending that is so loving stupid I can't believe it happened. Spoilers, I guess out of pure manners, if you want to watch the bad politics movie:

The whole town is running a grift, it's a small midwestern town the guy comes from and it's an entirely fabricated moment and everyone, including his opponent and his staff, is grifting the parties to get money. It's set as some smuggo 'you coastal elites think we're dumb rubes, but we're actually smart liars' thing but it does forget that the parties don't just dump money into a city in the literal sense, but rather like...pay consultants, often from out of state, and poo poo??? So I don't know how Jim Bob the guy who runs the diner actually got a poo poo ton of money because the Democrats set up a big operation there. To be clear it's portrayed as like, a town saving level grift, everyone is somehow profiting off this. It's fittingly the kind of ending only someone who doesn't actually understand how the political campaign process works could write, which fits the whole vibe of the movie as a whole.

This sounds like a plot that mel Brooks threw away as being "patently absurd"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Simone Magus posted:

This sounds like a plot that mel Brooks threw away as being "patently absurd"

a podcast that reviewed it called it 2007's best political commentary somehow released in 2019 and I cant disagree.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
At the end, did Steve Carrell just smile, learn to enjoy a slow life and settle down with the candidate's relative he had been fighting with in the first two acts?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

At the end, did Steve Carrell just smile, learn to enjoy a slow life and settle down with the candidate's relative he had been fighting with in the first two acts?

Nothing as hacky as that! He actually hooks up with the Republican consultant working for the opponent.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

he fucks the Ann Coulter stand-in, actually!

Good movie!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I watched I'm Thinking of Ending Things and had an incorrect but maybe thought-provoking take on it: I finally got it at the ending, but for a lot of the movie I was convinced that the girlfriend was dying of dementia in a nursing home and reliving a life that she always wanted out of but never got around to doing that. That life started at the visit to her boyfriend's parents, which was a kind of "point of no return" for their relationship. The dinner was awkward, and they visited a few more times over the years, each time she noticed Jake's parents slipping into dementia more and more. Jake's parents both died of this (the mother in the home) but she wasn't really ever comfortable with them so she didn't feel any emotion other than "I want to go home" in her fragmented memories. Her boyfriend annoyed her a lot, but he was safe, and she was kind of reflecting on how things weren't that great for him in the relationship either. They both were intelligent but treated each other like idiots when they didn't understand something in their fields of expertise, which rarely overlapped. She keeps bringing up how they met, a lame story that gets her more and more worked up, telling herself how that meeting was what started it, but really it was just an excuse. She could have gotten out at any point before the trip. Jake got a lovely job as a janitor in his home town so he could take care of his parents ("Let's go home." "To the farm house?" -- because that was their home, eventually, but the car ride memories were from the first visit where she was "thinking of ending things" on the way there and then "oh no I'm stuck with this forever" on the way back), and ironically she was the one who ended up getting dementia and being put in a nursing home. That fit the vision of her being given slippers. I thought that was a kindly nurse who somewhat reminded her of Jake. The "high school" was a nursing home, she even says it's the wrong size and location for a school.

I didn't know this was a book first, and I think my interpretation was closer to the book ending than the movie ending.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Holy poo poo thanks everyone for the recs, The Queen's Gambit is amazing :allears:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

LifeLynx posted:

I watched I'm Thinking of Ending Things and had an incorrect but maybe thought-provoking take on it: I finally got it at the ending, but for a lot of the movie I was convinced that the girlfriend was dying of dementia in a nursing home and reliving a life that she always wanted out of but never got around to doing that. That life started at the visit to her boyfriend's parents, which was a kind of "point of no return" for their relationship. The dinner was awkward, and they visited a few more times over the years, each time she noticed Jake's parents slipping into dementia more and more. Jake's parents both died of this (the mother in the home) but she wasn't really ever comfortable with them so she didn't feel any emotion other than "I want to go home" in her fragmented memories. Her boyfriend annoyed her a lot, but he was safe, and she was kind of reflecting on how things weren't that great for him in the relationship either. They both were intelligent but treated each other like idiots when they didn't understand something in their fields of expertise, which rarely overlapped. She keeps bringing up how they met, a lame story that gets her more and more worked up, telling herself how that meeting was what started it, but really it was just an excuse. She could have gotten out at any point before the trip. Jake got a lovely job as a janitor in his home town so he could take care of his parents ("Let's go home." "To the farm house?" -- because that was their home, eventually, but the car ride memories were from the first visit where she was "thinking of ending things" on the way there and then "oh no I'm stuck with this forever" on the way back), and ironically she was the one who ended up getting dementia and being put in a nursing home. That fit the vision of her being given slippers. I thought that was a kindly nurse who somewhat reminded her of Jake. The "high school" was a nursing home, she even says it's the wrong size and location for a school.

I didn't know this was a book first, and I think my interpretation was closer to the book ending than the movie ending.

I don't think that squares with his girlfriend changing faces and names and interests throughout the movie. my understanding is that she is a splinter of Jake's personality composed of what he wishes he could do. she isn't real until the end

the dementia piece, I believe, is because Jake felt he had to give up his dreams to care for his mom and dad (and blames them for his failures). the pig scene explains his thoughts on that-- his mom is the rotting pig, and Jake views himself the piglet who dared to wander outside and froze to death.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Famethrowa posted:

I don't think that squares with his girlfriend changing faces and names and interests throughout the movie. my understanding is that she is a splinter of Jake's personality composed of what he wishes he could do. she isn't real until the end

the dementia piece, I believe, is because Jake felt he had to give up his dreams to care for his mom and dad (and blames them for his failures). the pig scene explains his thoughts on that-- his mom is the rotting pig, and Jake views himself the piglet who dared to wander outside and froze to death.

Granted, I didn't really care for the movie and didn't seek out explanations, but I interpreted it as, In the end of his life he loved a lot of women (hence the different names) but after 80 years of living, his memories of them started drifting away and merging together, and he realizes that he doesn't even know who's who anymore. And in the end, it doesn't matter, he's working a lovely job in his hometown, and he's all alone. And that's life.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Halloween Jack posted:

If you'd told me 10 years ago that one of these guys would have an enormously popular show and the other would be making terrible indie movies, I would have guessed Carlson would go through D'Souza to get the thing made.

yeah, turns out that Getting Eviscerated By Jon Stewart is good for your career when the entire conservative electorate distrusts liberal media and all its chosen scions

to be a conservative publically facing down such a comparatively stacked deck is brave, even

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

God Hole posted:

yeah, turns out that Getting Eviscerated By Jon Stewart is good for your career when the entire conservative electorate distrusts liberal media and all its chosen scions

to be a conservative publically facing down such a comparatively stacked deck is brave, even

but we Restored Sanity! we had a rally and everything!

nthing that I wish JS would stay retired. he was great in the Bush years, but a repeat of his Obama era show in the Biden presidency would be :barf:

e. It's me, I'm the hair trigger goon. Reading the description of the show gives me a little hope? If he does John Oliver style where he brings up a little known important advocacy topic, then that's pretty good.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 29, 2020

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Not So Fast posted:

Anyone else watched Over the Moon here?

Felt like there was a really good Pixar killer here, but it gets a bit lost in ideas that should have been on the cutting room floor (Gobi, the ping-pong match) to expand more on the main plot (the amulet, Fei Fei and Chin bonding).

Yeah, I just watched Over the Moon too. Beautiful use of colors. The film can be pretty striking at times. I would have liked to seen a little more complexity in the plot, though, which feels a bit slight. For comparison, I felt much more drawn into the escapism of Spirited Away than here (that's a high bar, I know).

Still, I'd recommend it if you want something kid friendly and visually striking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m watching The WNUF Halloween Special on Shudder and I just... don’t get it? I’ve heard it talked up for years now in horror movie circles, but so far it’s just boring as poo poo. And this isn’t a case of “oh you’re just too young to remember stuff like this”, I do remember poo poo like this on the local stations. But I went in thinking this would be something similar to VHYes, where it’s all an over-the-top parody of those kinds of local/public access specials, but so far this thing is played completely straight. Even the commercials are just totally normal (for the most part) and only seem to be in there to eat up time. And if the fault lies with me expecting parody when it’s supposed to be a straight-forward “found footage” style horror flick, then that circles back to the initial problem I mentioned in that it’s just so loving boring.

What exactly am I missing here?