Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

STAC Goat posted:

I like Sanchez so like I'm presupposed to give him excuses, but I'm definitely of the mind of "who you gonna do better on?" and "that's not a team priority."

Do him and Higashioka again next season and if he loses his job to his backup then he made the decision for you. You're not gonna get something for him trading 2 cents on the dollar.

The big issue with that is they can't seem to stop giving him chances so he'll never lose his job to his backup. Although maybe they playoffs are a sign they will move past that in the regular season, but I have my doubts still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Kluber please come to Atlanta and pitch 3 innings.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Bregor posted:

I, for one, will miss Joe Kelly

Here you go

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MLB C/V Offseason: Couldn’t tell where the champagne ended and the spittle started

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Intruder posted:

Here you go

This was the appropriate amount of effort for the gag.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lumpy posted:

The big issue with that is they can't seem to stop giving him chances so he'll never lose his job to his backup. Although maybe they playoffs are a sign they will move past that in the regular season, but I have my doubts still.

I mean they "can't stop giving him chances" becuase he's had 2 good seasons out of 4. And even putting aside excuses about injuries or shortened seasons there's obviously a lot of good with the bad and I'm not convinced that (a) the ratio leans negative or (b) there's a better option.

If there was a better option I think we'd be discussing it and there'd be more pressure. But I also don't think its weird that the team doesn't want to give up on the guy unless you REALLY value batting average.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It would help if he were even an average catcher defensively. But since he's one of the poorest if his bat isn't there he becomes a major question mark for the Yankees. But...who else could you even get this offseason?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I do think the ball has moved on him though and that speaks to it. Because once upon a time the narrative was "We may have to move Gary away from C to preserve his bat." And now the narrative is "Gary better stabilize his bat or get better at C or else he'll lose his job to Kyle Higashioka." That's definitely a shift.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

I still can’t loving believe the Covid Turner subplot right at the last second, writers really stretching at this point.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Remember when the Nats gave up guys like Giolito and Dane Dunning for Adam Eaton?

https://twitter.com/jessicacamerato/status/1321523848840359936?s=21

Yeah.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Eaton slashed .320/.433/.560 against the Astros in the WS last year so I think they're fine with the trade

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30155186/election-2020-political-donation-history-wealthy-sports-owners

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
That the Nats aren't willing to pick up a mere $9M option for Eaton does not bode well for what teams are going to be looking to spend in FA.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sydin posted:

That the Nats aren't willing to pick up a mere $9M option for Eaton does not bode well for what teams are going to be looking to spend in FA.

Maybe the QO will be bigger than any offer Springer gets :v:

But really, Eaton was terrible this season and is going to be 32

Jim Crane is listed as giving only $25K and it's supposedly bipartisan but I find that hard to believe considering the guy was sued for hiring practices regarding minorities and his company was sued and settled out of court for literal war profiteering

Intruder fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 28, 2020

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://mobile.twitter.com/MLByahoosports/status/1321529368414334976

I mean gently caress Turner, but lol at the leage throwing him under the bus when they let a game start without everybody's test results in, and let Turner play for six innings after knowing his test was "inconclusive" in the second.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Yankees priorities, by Assistant Vice President of Baseball General Management Operations, Bathroom Cleanliness, and Microwaves Well Played Mauer:

Sign DJLM.
Sign Realmuto. Between DJ, JA Happ, and JT, we can corner the market on two letter first name players.
Keep Gary around. If he looks great in spring training, trade him for an SP rental you have a decent chance of extending. If he sucks, well, that’s why you have Realmuto and Higashioka.
Sign Bauer but make him wear one of those gimp masks so he can’t talk to anyone.
Go get Stroman or Quintana I dunno man it’s just money.

I don’t know which of these are serious and which aren’t anymore.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Goat's Yankee priorities

1. Re-sign DJLM
2. Don't sign Bauer.
3. Sign some other pitcher if you don't keep the ones you got.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/MLByahoosports/status/1321529368414334976

I mean gently caress Turner, but lol at the leage throwing him under the bus when they let a game start without everybody's test results in, and let Turner play for six innings after knowing his test was "inconclusive" in the second.
MLB also had zero enforcement of their protocols in the key moment. It should be entirely predictable that Turner would try to get back on the field for the celebration and MLB was not equipped to stop him.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
You’re really not giving the gimp mask idea fair consideration.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
How much is turner looking to get in the free agent market. The fact that he's 35 and even with 7 very good years in a row he's only been good on the dodgers. This covid stunt is probably seen as a net positive by the average GM (look how much he loves the game) but I don't see a reasonable expectation of more than one year of very good performance out of him.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

bawfuls posted:

MLB also had zero enforcement of their protocols in the key moment. It should be entirely predictable that Turner would try to get back on the field for the celebration and MLB was not equipped to stop him.

Yea. I wish Turner had exhibited a little (a lot) more self control but :lol: at the idea of MLB throwing their hands up as if they had any clue about how to handle it or the desire to even do so.

Still baffled at the notion of test results not being available until the game is in progress and I'm trying to imagine how bad Adam Silver and the NBA would get dragged if they let a player start G6 of the Finals with an inconclusive test just to pull him out of the game when the 4th quarter started for being positive.

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 28, 2020

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Bip Roberts posted:

How much is turner looking to get in the free agent market. The fact that he's 35 and even with 7 very good years in a row he's only been good on the dodgers. This covid stunt is probably seen as a net positive by the average GM (look how much he loves the game) but I don't see a reasonable expectation of more than one year of very good performance out of him.
He just completed his big payday (4 yrs $64M) and the perception at the time he signed that was he took a slightly below-market deal to stay in LA. He not only reached his peak performance as a Dodger but he grew up in Long Beach rooting for the team. He has long been considered a leader in that clubhouse and the emotional core of these recent teams.

If the Dodgers are not criminally stingy, they should be able to work out a deal to keep him in LA the rest of his career, especially with the NL DH likely to return if not in 21 then in 22 and beyond.

This all assumes he isn't permanently debilitated by covid :ohdear:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Intruder posted:

Jim Crane is listed as giving only $25K and it's supposedly bipartisan but I find that hard to believe considering the guy was sued for hiring practices regarding minorities and his company was sued and settled out of court for literal war profiteering

He also has a smaller Dem contribution further down the list, so my guess is that it’s just standard legal bribery designed to keep the team in the city’s good graces.

I have absolutely no doubt that Crane personally is a huge racist chud based on his history though.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

That too, there really should been security immediately posted to make sure he didn't try to get back out onto the field, and when he did security should have been a little more forceful than "we asked nicely and he said no, so welp." Makes you wonder how much more of the COVID protocols weren't really being enforced and were just operating on an honor system.

Johnny Bravo posted:

Still baffled at the notion of test results not being available until the game is in progress and I'm trying to imagine how bad Adam Silver and the NBA would get dragged if they let a player start G6 of the Finals with an inconclusive test just to pull him out of the game when the 4th quarter started for being positive.

Currently imagining an alternate reality where we've gone to a game seven and Beuhler is absolutely dominating, when he's suddenly pulled midway through the 6th and the Rays rally to take the lead and eventually win. After the game Roberts says he didn't wan to pull Beuhler, but the league informed him that his last COVID test came back positive mid-way through the game, and demanded he be isolated as per protocol. I'm pretty sure the entire Greater Los Angeles area would collectively march on the league office to hang Manfred.

Obviously that didn't happen, but that's the kind of thing MLB was risking by letting WS games start while still waiting on the results of COVID tests. They really do not give a flying gently caress about player health and safety, or the fans. They only care about the :10bux:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

That too, there really should been security immediately posted to make sure he didn't try to get back out onto the field, and when he did security should have been a little more forceful than "we asked nicely and he said no, so welp." Makes you wonder how much more of the COVID protocols weren't really being enforced and were just operating on an honor system.
The fact that at least one player and now a Rays family member have tested positive inside the "bubble" also makes me wonder how much of the protocols weren't really being enforced.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I want the Cubs to sign Sean Doolittle. Not because I think he'll be super helpful, but just because I want them to have someone known to be a good human being all around.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Intruder posted:

I just assumed it was someone besides him who wrote out a check in his name for purely the business optics of being able to say that he donates to both parties.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Explosionface posted:

I want the Cubs to sign Sean Doolittle. Not because I think he'll be super helpful, but just because I want them to have someone known to be a good human being all around.

He’s gonna be a real good pitching coach / manager, probably sooner rather than later.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

What the hell happened to Kluber? Feels like he turned into a scrub overnight

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Strelok604 posted:

What the hell happened to Kluber? Feels like he turned into a scrub overnight
He got hurt

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Anyway if we're doing offseason lists now,

What the Cubs SHOULD do:
-Sign DJLM or, if they're feeling in a gambling mood, Ha-Seong Kim. Put Nico back in the minors so he can work on his bat.
-Sign Springer, move Happ to left, move on from Schwarber. Sorry beefy lad, but that hot second half 2019 is looking more and more like a mirage and you don't defend well enough to justify your bat. Also release Almora, for the love of god PLEASE release Almora.
-Trade for a disgruntled Snell. :v: Okay more realistically go get Stroman, he rules and is low-key very good.
-Go get +2 actually decent relievers and spare us another season of endlessly cycling through dumpster dive guys.

What the Cubs WILL do:
-Trade Bryant to save money
-Tender Almora a contract and have him be the opening day CF
-Re-sign Chatwood for $1-2M and justify it by playing up the two (2) good starts he had this season before blowing up
-Sign a bunch of old, washed up, terrible relievers on minor league deals and spend half the season cycling through them to find 1-2 guys who can stick

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

bawfuls posted:

He just completed his big payday (4 yrs $64M) and the perception at the time he signed that was he took a slightly below-market deal to stay in LA. He not only reached his peak performance as a Dodger but he grew up in Long Beach rooting for the team. He has long been considered a leader in that clubhouse and the emotional core of these recent teams.

If the Dodgers are not criminally stingy, they should be able to work out a deal to keep him in LA the rest of his career, especially with the NL DH likely to return if not in 21 then in 22 and beyond.

This all assumes he isn't permanently debilitated by covid :ohdear:

I actually kind of hope they don't bring him back, what he did last night was seriously bullshit

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Actual Human Being and World Series Champion Drew Butera was still playing baseball in TYOOL 2020. What a world.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I actually kind of hope they don't bring him back, what he did last night was seriously bullshit
I think Zack Greinke is about the only player who might reasonably be expected to have not come back on the field in that context.

What he did was absolutely wrong but to jettison him from the organization over it is ludicrous.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Sydin posted:

What the Cubs WILL do:
:bisonyes: :bisonyes: :bisonyes: :bisonyes:
:yeshaha: :yeshaha: :yeshaha: :yeshaha:
-Re-sign Chatwood for $1-2M and justify it by playing up the two (2) good starts he had this season before blowing up
:vince: :vince: :vince: :vince:
-Sign a bunch of old, washed up, terrible relievers on minor league deals and spend half the season cycling through them to find 1-2 guys who can stick
:pusheen: :pusheen: :pusheen: :pusheen:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

What the Cubs SHOULD do:
-Sign DJLM or, if they're feeling in a gambling mood, Ha-Seong Kim. Put Nico back in the minors so he can work on his bat.
-Sign Springer, move Happ to left, move on from Schwarber. Sorry beefy lad, but that hot second half 2019 is looking more and more like a mirage and you don't defend well enough to justify your bat. Also release Almora, for the love of god PLEASE release Almora.
-Trade for a disgruntled Snell. :v: Okay more realistically go get Stroman, he rules and is low-key very good.
-Go get +2 actually decent relievers and spare us another season of endlessly cycling through dumpster dive guys.

What the Cubs WILL do:

I imagine the Cubs' biggest priority is going to be the starting rotation. Chatwood and Quintana are free agents and Lester is unlikely to take a prove-it one-year deal, and I fully expect Mills to turn into a pumpkin, so that's three holes to fill.

Bryant is almost certainly gone, though. :(

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Bawfuls, just donate to some Covid aid group or something in Turner’s name.

I still have a monthly donation setup to RAINN thanks to Aroldis Chapman...

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Hoping the Angels get a few more Bundy tier signings, at least.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
I have read exactly zero articles on the off-season/free agent market, but I wonder what the market will be for capital-C Closers Liam Hendricks and Alex Colome. The other RP on that list all have issues, Yates, Holland, and Treinen jump out at me as having good potential value but who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Timby posted:

I imagine the Cubs' biggest priority is going to be the starting rotation. Chatwood and Quintana are free agents and Lester is unlikely to take a prove-it one-year deal, and I fully expect Mills to turn into a pumpkin, so that's three holes to fill.

Bryant is almost certainly gone, though. :(

By all accounts the Cubs' biggest priority is going to be slashing payroll. Hell there's talk that if the Cubs can't find a suitor for Bryant - which is entirely possible since he's slated to make ~$20M next season, the league as a whole is expected to be very cost-averse, and Bryant is coming off a miserable year - that they might just non-tender him. Which would actually be funny as gently caress after all the service time bullshit they pulled to get that extra year.

It sucks because even with just the money that comes off the books this year, they could easily retool enough to put a better product out there for 2021 and seriously compete. But it just doesn't sound like it's going to happen.