Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The underwater launch rocket is significant because it was a real planned project that never ended up happening.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Dragon_(rocket)

Basically it means that ALL the money got poured into space travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

kanonvandekempen posted:

Can someone explain what the significance was of the post credits scene in season 1? What is the significance of doing a partial underwater launch, and what is special about the new rocket?

It was a Sea Dragon https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Dragon_%28rocket%29 . We won't know why they used it until next season if at all.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

kanonvandekempen posted:

Can someone explain what the significance was of the post credits scene in season 1? What is the significance of doing a partial underwater launch, and what is special about the new rocket?

It was an actual design for an enormous rocket that would have something like four times the payload of the Saturn V: http://www.astronautix.com/s/seadragon.html

The basics are that it was so large that launching it in the water would not only help support it physically, but provide natural coolant for the launch since it would melt an artificial launch pad. Also the fuel could hypothetically be synthesized directly from the seawater.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
My wife just got a new iPhone so I guess we're getting a year of this for free.

If you do the trial, do you have to wait until the end to cancel or can you just cancel auto renew automatically and not have it end instantly?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Astro7x posted:

My wife just got a new iPhone so I guess we're getting a year of this for free.

If you do the trial, do you have to wait until the end to cancel or can you just cancel auto renew automatically and not have it end instantly?

First one, unlike every other service of its kind, you can't just cancel until you are ready to stop using it.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm hearing good things about Ted Lasso. Is it actually good?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Edward Mass posted:

I'm hearing good things about Ted Lasso. Is it actually good?

Watched the first three today and came here to post about it. It’s a drat fine, absolutely genuine show. Bummed they only dropped the first three and not all 10.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I don’t think it’s the funniest show yet but it’s likeable as all hell and that goes a long way. Definitely worth checking out if you’re interested.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, Sudeikis kills the sincerity needed for it to work perfectly. Watch the two commercials they did for NBC Sports on YouTube too, there’s a few recycled gags (I like that Dubai Air was the sponsor for the team he coached in the 2nd one).

Put me in the ‘wish I had more to watch already’ camp. 3 at once each week would be nice too, one per week just feels old fashioned now ha.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Apparently production is back on for For All Mankind.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Cojawfee posted:

Apparently production is back on for For All Mankind.

Great news! Possibly my favorite show of the year.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Late to the party here but Mythic Quest is freaking amazing. I just got to the Nazi episode and haven’t laughed this hard in a while. It perfectly captures the demented intensity of games development, with the only misstep being casting the pewdiepie analogue as a 14yo.

Interesting that they obviously had Ubisoft on board as a partner given all the toxic culture stuff from there, but this is supposed to be a subordinate dev studio so probably not going to be too severe an effect.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Anyone got any news on when s2 of For All Mankind is due out? Apple just extended my free membership until February and I'm hoping it'll come out in that time.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Comrade Fakename posted:

Anyone got any news on when s2 of For All Mankind is due out? Apple just extended my free membership until February and I'm hoping it'll come out in that time.

I'd love to know this as well.

Also, good on Apple for extending the membership, I thought that was pretty classy.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Servant was really good and I will definitely give Apple some money to watch season two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF0xzy0IhDc

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Comrade Fakename posted:

All that's been said is '2021'.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Chairman Capone posted:

Trailer for Foundation is out:

https://twitter.com/AppleTV/status/1275132722256609280

Looks solid visually and has two strong actors, at the least. Though weird to see the Interstellar black hole appear.

I have no idea how they're going to adapt it for TV, but I'm already getting tons of entertainment out of Apple's, "Woke Casting" (which is what a ton of people are calling it online) and you can probably guess how they are taking it. Their tears of rage are so sweet.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Chairman Capone posted:

Trailer for Foundation is out:

https://twitter.com/AppleTV/status/1275132722256609280

Looks solid visually and has two strong actors, at the least. Though weird to see the Interstellar black hole appear.

They probably justify it by Trantor being one of the closet planets to the center of the galaxy, even though nothing like that was described in the book and it'd probably be unrealistic for a planet to be close enough for it to be that large without the planet being torn apart. I'm okay with it

Blistex posted:

Their tears of rage are so sweet.

:same:

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 24, 2020

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Fireball is really good. Kind of a lot to digest in one sitting, though. But it's beautiful and fascinating.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
I spent years studying asteroid impacts as part of my postgraduate work and I saw a few mistakes that were made in Fireball but I was totally transfixed the whole time

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
A Werner Herzog documentary about comets and meteors? YES PLEASE

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
For All Mankind s2 begins February 19th.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Season 2 of Servant is pretty good. That scene with the blisters, though...

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Octy posted:

Season 2 of Servant is pretty good. That scene with the blisters, though...

Just started watching the series from the start, and got through it in less than 24 hours. Really enjoyable... I mean, enjoyable maybe isn't the best word, but really good. I said it in another thread here but I really appreciate that it's a prestige streaming drama but almost every episode is under 30 minutes. I find that really refreshing.

And yeah, I could not watch that blister scene.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
S2 of For All Mankind starts today!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I liked the episode, but it starts with a big montage and then a time jump to the late 70s or maybe early 80s and continues on from there. But that leaves open a huge cliffhanger with that russian guy that shows up at Jamestown. Maybe they will get to that over the course of the season.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Please come join us! :)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3958680&perpage=40&noseen=1

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Ted gets a win...

https://twitter.com/cnn/status/1366212040344403968?s=21

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Mythic Quest season 2 started today! 2 episodes this week, subsequent episodes weekly.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Asteroid Alert posted:

Mythic Quest season 2 started today! 2 episodes this week, subsequent episodes weekly.

It is, Poppy Fantastic.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah Charlotte Nicdao is just the absolute best.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
A thought just came to mind: my parents’ free trial was extended a few months ago, and now goes until just before season 2 of Ted Lasso debuts. I’m certain this was on purpose.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
They've really pushed Ted Lasso as the flagship show of the service. Makes sense to have the 1 year trial users convert to paid users.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah Charlotte Nicdao is just the absolute best.

She just emotes so hard: her “oh no” face is an amazing mask of :stonk:.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Asteroid Alert posted:

I just started Season 1 tonight and I’m really enjoying it. Have already binged to the Dark Quiet Death episode.

My god did the It’s Always Sunny crew make a single episode romance with the mother from How I Met Your Mother tell a better and more compelling story than HIMYM’s entire loving run?

And Nthing Ted Lasso as an awesome show.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

At episode 4 of Ted Lasso now and loving it. So rare to see “nice” done well in TV.

Mythic Quest I love for other reasons. Everyone in it seems to be firing on all cylinders all the time, it’s amazing.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Next weeks Mythic Quest tells the origin story of C.W. And he is played by Josh Brener, who was Big Head in Silicon Valley.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I love Mythic Quest but this last episode was probably my least favorite so far. Just seemed like a very forced premise, and not really funny enough to make the whole thing work. I don't mind a bottle episode in general, but the writing has to be really on point to make it work and this time it just wasn't.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Trig Discipline posted:

I love Mythic Quest but this last episode was probably my least favorite so far. Just seemed like a very forced premise, and not really funny enough to make the whole thing work. I don't mind a bottle episode in general, but the writing has to be really on point to make it work and this time it just wasn't.

I like this season a lot less. Either I remember s1 poorly or Poppy is written 100% differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We are a bit behind and the last episode we saw was with Brad’s brother and I didn’t like that one at all.