Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

The only real reason to watch the anime anymore is for the voice acting and music (though there has been some slight improvement as far as the action scenes are concerned ever since the new director took over).

There are certain key scenes that are handled gloriously (Big Mom’s wedding for example) but for the most part it’s so poorly done that I can’t even watch it anymore. I don’t even think a DBZ Kai recut would save it at this point since even with proper pacing the core canon material is still incredibly rushed and cheap looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah, it's a shame because if they took some time off between seasons to spend more time on the animation I'm sure it'd look much better, and you wouldn't need to worry about putting together filler arcs, but big-time shonen hits like OP and Naruto are such a license to print money that they just keep putting them out week after week.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
I've got a friend that can't get into One Piece in the initial couple episodes. Does anyone have a suggestion on episode(s) to start with that might kickstart something? I was thinking something in Arlong Park.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Havoc904 posted:

I've got a friend that can't get into One Piece in the initial couple episodes. Does anyone have a suggestion on episode(s) to start with that might kickstart something? I was thinking something in Arlong Park.

Arlong park is really where the anime hits its stride. But the arc is long and without the previous character building might not be as enjoyable. I’d really be pushing to get them to tough it out until then.

Arlong starts at 31 and ends at 44.

Otherwise Ussop’s arc (9-18) is what dragged me in.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

I'd start with something from Baratie. It's early on enough that if they don't go back it won't affect much, and is when One Piece starts to show its hand a bit more; you've got Mihawk and Don Kreig on the field.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Havoc904 posted:

I had my friend start with the "episode of nami" special, tho it's a bit more classic shonen-y compared to the anime/manga.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Start with Skypeia. Especially, the part where they spend 20 episodes of that one guy laughing annoyingly.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Shadow0 posted:

Start with Skypeia. Especially, the part where they spend 20 episodes of that one guy laughing annoyingly.

I'll one up that with Enies' Lobby. Right after Robin's "I wanna live!". Let's them get a glimpse of the future.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Rudoku posted:

I'll one up that with Enies' Lobby. Right after Robin's "I wanna live!". Let's them get a glimpse of the future.

Water7 + Enies Lobby is the best.

Shadow0 posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_dragon?wprov=sfla1

Look at this stupid dragon they used as the cover image for Japanese dragons, what idiots. It's blue, those stupid clowns.

Utagawa Kuniyoshi - one of the last great masters of the Japanese ukiyo-e style of woodblock prints and painting? What a joke.
TBH I didn't know this was a super old traditional style. But all those dragons look terrifying, especially the first bird-fish hybrid thingy, that's drat cool. Sorry I still think he's design and color is lame as hell.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
Thanks for the suggestions! I am going to try the Baratie arc, I hadn't even thought of that. Seems like a great mix of everything I love about One Piece. Ridiculous Luffy stuff when he breaks the restaurant, intrigue about the mystery of Sanji, and the first real introduction of how huge the One Piece universe truly is. When Mihawk floats up on his tiny raft with candles and fucks up everyone's poo poo, that was the moment (for me) where I really wanted to discover everything.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Suspicious Lump posted:

Water7 + Enies Lobby is the best.

Right. But I was talking about the 5ish random filler episodes they put right after that. The strawhats were leaping for at least a month straight.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

From what I remember from those days, the anime hit a record low to the point it almost got cancelled during those flashback episodes. From that point on, they settled on stretching the canon material and "filler arcs" became a lot rarer compared with before.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Manga reader here, but still watching the anime with a friend who'll never read it. As someone who originally transitioned to the manga in Thriller Bark, I'm definitely noticing a drop in animation quality and pacing, but watching the One Pace episodes has kept things tolerable.

We've now finished Whitebeard War and I'm trying to transition to the second half. Are the anime-only crew sidestories any good or are they just more filler? Can I just skip to the second half and be done with it without losing anything?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide :)

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Amante posted:

Are the anime-only crew sidestories any good or are they just more filler?
Well, they aren't anime-only, really. They're more beefed up form how the cover stories go but they're important to watch.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Amante posted:

Are the anime-only crew sidestories any good or are they just more filler? Can I just skip to the second half and be done with it without losing anything?

It's still unfathomable to me that they got so little time that they did. I was 100% sure they were saving it for some flashback or something, but nope. Just pad for time every episode instead of filling in genuinely interesting material.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Amante posted:

Manga reader here, but still watching the anime with a friend who'll never read it. As someone who originally transitioned to the manga in Thriller Bark, I'm definitely noticing a drop in animation quality and pacing, but watching the One Pace episodes has kept things tolerable.

We've now finished Whitebeard War and I'm trying to transition to the second half. Are the anime-only crew sidestories any good or are they just more filler? Can I just skip to the second half and be done with it without losing anything?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide :)

They're actually canon, not filler, but in the manga they were told via 'cover stories' where each week the first page of the chapter had a single panel showing what the other strawhat were doing, and it did this all throughout Impel Down/Marineford War/Aftermath. The anime just waited until later to tell them all as complete chunks so that way you know everyone's status before the timeskip. I wouldn't skip them.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The people over at One Piece Animated Inc. are masters, masters!, at cliffhangers!

The episode ends on a cliff if what's-his-face is gonna die; one second later, the preview tells you about how everyone reacts to his death.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Sep 2, 2020

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Also, maybe I've forgotten, but has Chopper reacted to the cherry blossoms at all? (Has he even seen them yet?) They're pretty critical to his backstory. Dr. Hiriluk presumably came to Wanokuni when he was "cured."

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

Also, maybe I've forgotten, but has Chopper reacted to the cherry blossoms at all? (Has he even seen them yet?) They're pretty critical to his backstory. Dr. Hiriluk presumably came to Wanokuni when he was "cured."

I don’t believe he even does so in the manga version of the current arc, no.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Shadow0 posted:

Not at all.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Shadow0 posted:

Watch we find out that he went to the One Piece version of D.C.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I posted in here a while ago, having watched from Skypeia to the timeskip with the English dub.

It really was exceptionally good and I never complained about things being stretched out like some fans. However, I have noticed a couple things:

1. The rewatch is when i really noticed how long everything is. I can go back and rewatch all of My Hero Academia in a couple days. As much as I want to enjoy Water 7 all over again, it really is goddamn long. For first viewing, I was glad to have so much of a good thing. But for repeats, I wish it was more like MHA.

2. Speaking of which, I'm not a huge animation quality guy.. I barely notice most of the time and I certainly didn't notice when I first watched OP. But re-watching a few choice bits of the anime like Whitebeard vs. Akainu, after watching Fairy Tail and My Hero Academia...man everything looked so dated. Not a complaint, just an observation.

Anyway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecb74zg3Irw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NmtmA-Qoas

So damned good.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m only like halfway through Baratie on my first rewatch since I got into the series since in like 2009 and yeah, Netflix’s inexplicable cropping is probably making things worse but even this far back I’m noticing stuff like extended reaction shots and jank animation in a few scenes. Tbf im also noticing how next level OP’s OST was now that I’ve watched other older stuff like Yu Yu Hakasho, and that even now it stands with the best of its modern contemporaries in that regard.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I've been working my way through the One Pace version of the anime, so I'm hopeful I've missed a lot of the bad bits of the anime, though it's still not perfect.

Anyway I just hit Wano and the music is pretty loving incredible when the strawhats are entering wano, and the new OP is a real banger. But Whole Cake had that whole Disney movie thing with Big Mom that worked too.

It was weird seeing the animation being pretty meh for Zoro and Luffy reuniting considering just before that there was Zoro's seppuku scene which looked great. They gotta pick their battles I guess.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I've been working my way through the One Pace version of the anime, so I'm hopeful I've missed a lot of the bad bits of the anime, though it's still not perfect.

Anyway I just hit Wano and the music is pretty loving incredible when the strawhats are entering wano, and the new OP is a real banger. But Whole Cake had that whole Disney movie thing with Big Mom that worked too.

It was weird seeing the animation being pretty meh for Zoro and Luffy reuniting considering just before that there was Zoro's seppuku scene which looked great. They gotta pick their battles I guess.

You’ve got some very nice animation to look forward to right after they meet up. That’s probably why.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyHjEQR7vMA

I just finished Fishman Island and Punk Hazard for the first time.

I've been warned about FI. It's apparently a big reason many say post-timeskip isn't as good as pre-timeskip. I thought it had its moments but, yeah, it was definitely one of the weakest arcs I've seen. I blame Hordy and his gang all being boring. OP usually has great antagonists.

Punk Hazard was much better thanks to Caesar and everyone doing more stuff. Just a lot more drama and suspense. There was none in Fishman Island because everybody was so much stronger than the bad guys.

Excited for Dressrosa and hopefully seeing Doflamingo get his soon. What a shithead. Revenge for Little Oars Jr.!

Speaking of which, I'm going through Impel Down and Marineford again. So good. Even in 2018 I knew the end result but I still had hope. Here in 2020, I still am cheering on Luffy and begging for Ace to survive. You know, in a lot of Gundam games, you can save Four from Zeta Gundam. People loved her nd mourned her death that much. OP is the biggest manga franchise ever or something, surely there must be OP video games where you can save Ace?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The joke with Cat Viper and hot foods is that people who can't handle hot foods are said to have a "cat tongue." I'm not sure the joke about oden that Oden makes, but I also haven't been listening very hard.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyHjEQR7vMA

I just finished Fishman Island and Punk Hazard for the first time.

I've been warned about FI. It's apparently a big reason many say post-timeskip isn't as good as pre-timeskip. I thought it had its moments but, yeah, it was definitely one of the weakest arcs I've seen. I blame Hordy and his gang all being boring. OP usually has great antagonists.

Punk Hazard was much better thanks to Caesar and everyone doing more stuff. Just a lot more drama and suspense. There was none in Fishman Island because everybody was so much stronger than the bad guys.

Excited for Dressrosa and hopefully seeing Doflamingo get his soon. What a shithead. Revenge for Little Oars Jr.!

Speaking of which, I'm going through Impel Down and Marineford again. So good. Even in 2018 I knew the end result but I still had hope. Here in 2020, I still am cheering on Luffy and begging for Ace to survive. You know, in a lot of Gundam games, you can save Four from Zeta Gundam. People loved her nd mourned her death that much. OP is the biggest manga franchise ever or something, surely there must be OP video games where you can save Ace?

string theory posits that there are infinite parallel universes and ace is dead in every single one of them

sorry

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Wow, how long has raftel been a mistranslation? The way they spelled it out on its own screen in big letters almost feels like deliberate shaming/sarcasm aimed at translators.

I'm actually mad at myself because I could tell way back in thriller bark odz sounded more like oars to me. This one went under my nose for 20 years!

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

Wow, how long has raftel been a mistranslation? The way they spelled it out on its own screen in big letters almost feels like deliberate shaming/sarcasm aimed at translators.

I'm actually mad at myself because I could tell way back in thriller bark odz sounded more like oars to me. This one went under my nose for 20 years!

Well the first time we knew it was Laugh Tale was when it was shown in Stampede and every character knew what it was.

I guess because Oda never bothered to translate it, we just never knew it was wrong.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Freakazoid_ posted:

I find it endearing to imagine the name misunderstanding is in-universe, that someone misheard it as Raftel and that name spread through newspapers.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Asuron posted:

Well the first time we knew it was Laugh Tale was when it was shown in Stampede and every character knew what it was.

I guess because Oda never bothered to translate it, we just never knew it was wrong.

Wasn’t it spelled out that way in the series prior to that (I want to say during the Skypeia arc)?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Bisse posted:

I find it endearing to imagine the name misunderstanding is in-universe, that someone misheard it as Raftel and that name spread through newspapers.

Makes sense, as people mistook Gol D. Roger as Gold Roger.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Larryb posted:

Wasn’t it spelled out that way in the series prior to that (I want to say during the Skypeia arc)?

Until Stampede came out, it was always written in Japanese katakana as ラフテル (Ra-fu-te-ru), and it wouldn't be apparently obvious that that's supposed to be English "Laugh Tale" or a made up fantasy word.
And outside of that movie, it wasn't revealed to be Laugh Tale in series until the Oden Flashback

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Julias posted:

Until Stampede came out, it was always written in Japanese katakana as ラフテル (Ra-fu-te-ru), and it wouldn't be apparently obvious that that's supposed to be English "Laugh Tale" or a made up fantasy word.
And outside of that movie, it wasn't revealed to be Laugh Tale in series until the Oden Flashback

Ah, I could have sworn it was written out in English on the cover of a book or something early on but I could be misremembering

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

This whole Oden and Roger sequence was so fantastic.

Actually seeing a bunch of the journey we’ve been hearing hints about for 20 years was incredible. That last scene of all of them laughing with the old ED was so good.

Plus Roger is basically Luffy. The way he ran to fight whitebeard, and the face he was making all excited while he ran, was such a Luffy parallel.

I also appreciate that he was such a strong person, fruitless. Makes his strength that much more amazing.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This was a pretty substantial episode. I know not much was really revealed, but it was honestly more than I expected before Luffy arrived there.

I think it's crazy that Franky met Gol D Roger, and we're only finding out about this now.

Also, they probably should have given Buggy a copy of the map. I think it's hilarious he got sick and instead of keeping him around the world's greatest doctor, they denied him the greatest moment of his life.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm watching One Piece for the first time ever, and I just finished Episode 8, and I teared up a little when Shou Shou got his little bit of dog food from Luffy.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm watching One Piece for the first time ever, and I just finished Episode 8, and I teared up a little when Shou Shou got his little bit of dog food from Luffy.

Heck yeah, I teared up on my rewatch too. Feel free to post in the manga thread too if this is to dead for you; the spoilers really boil down to “Luffy punched the bad man real good” and everyone there loves to read new impressions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Last Celebration posted:

Feel free to post in the manga thread too if this is to dead for you;

:(