Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nodoze posted:

The Yankees need more players who hit for average and not guys who hit .180 with suspect defense.

Catchers as a cohort mostly do nothing except hit .180 unless you want to sign JT Realmuto to a long-term deal right now. Nobody is saying the Yankees need more Garys.

EDIT: Oh wait the catcher market is opening up!
https://twitter.com/Mets/status/1321556364607578116

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boroda
Jul 26, 2007

нет усов
I have heard assumptions of like 2/30~32 for Turner. My biggest issue with JT is that I'm worried he'll fall off a cliff and turn into the righty 3B version of Adrian Gonzalez, able to drive it in the gap, but not always fast enough to make it to second.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I actually kind of hope they don't bring him back, what he did last night was seriously bullshit

Zero people in the dodgers organization had a problem with it. The fact that it will continue to spread the virus to people who will get seriously ill or die is secondary to celebrating a World Series for everyone in power in baseball.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

boroda posted:

I have heard assumptions of like 2/30~32 for Turner. My biggest issue with JT is that I'm worried he'll fall off a cliff and turn into the righty 3B version of Adrian Gonzalez, able to drive it in the gap, but not always fast enough to make it to second.
I doubt he gets the same AAV as the deal he's just completed. For what he's going to get who cares if he breaks down in the last year of it?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Inspector_666 posted:

Catchers as a cohort mostly do nothing except hit .180

I mean yeah that isn't wrong

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Based on how things have been going in the USA covid-wise, I don't think it's possible we're going to have a full season schedule with full stadiums by the time April rolls around.

boroda
Jul 26, 2007

нет усов
I mean we just won yesterday, why am I doing this to myself?

Dodgers offseason/FA wishlist: keep the band together as much as possible, though it'll be hard. Also unsure of roster sizes for next year.

Turner: Conflicted. Still can rake, just worried about dropping off a cliff. Would probably be a good almost full time DH candidate should it be here to stay. Wouldn't mind Rios getting more playing time.
McGee: Expendable, most likely. Didn't get to see him all that much this year, seemed to only throw fastballs. Multiple lefties (Gonzalez, Kolarek?, even Wood) seemed to be ahead of him in the pecking order.
Baez: Love/hate relationship. Probably too expensive, go get your (COVID-suppressed) payday. Welcome back for the right price.
Wood: Can he be stretched back into a starter? If so, worth another one year deal if he's not too pricey. Could be useful in the Stripling semi-swingman role, though that seemed to have negative effects on Chicken Strip.
Treinen: Sure, why not. Hopefully not used in quite as high leverage situations as this year if he comes back.
Keeks: Please stay. Just amazing in general, and Madbum is still in the same division. Fingers crossed.
Joc: Oh Joc. I love you Joc. I wish you fit in to the makeup of this team better, but it seems like it's probably time to say goodbye. Sign with an AL team so that you can continue to reign in Joctober.

other random thoughts:

Barnes seems to be personal catcher for the top two in the starting rotation now. Does that mean Smith continuing to DH a lot? Can Mookie keep Barnes hitting? Does this make Keibert somewhat expendable as a really valuable trade chip (also Cartaya is around lol), or do we just carry three catchers next year?

Where does Lux fit into all of this? Can he make the throw from 2nd lol?

Looking forward to seeing Gray and White next year.

boroda
Jul 26, 2007

нет усов

bawfuls posted:

I doubt he gets the same AAV as the deal he's just completed. For what he's going to get who cares if he breaks down in the last year of it?

That's fair, I'm just paranoid that that breakdown is coming in something like 50 games or so. But as long as he's healthy for the postseason, I guess it doesn't matter.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

They'll play a full season and allow reduced attendance citing this postseason as a "success" for that plan

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

boroda posted:

Barnes seems to be personal catcher for the top two in the starting rotation now. Does that mean Smith continuing to DH a lot? Can Mookie keep Barnes hitting? Does this make Keibert somewhat expendable as a really valuable trade chip (also Cartaya is around lol), or do we just carry three catchers next year?
I expect the Dodgers will work with Will on his framing

his bat is too valuable to give up on him

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Based on how things have been going in the USA covid-wise, I don't think it's possible we're going to have a full season schedule with full stadiums by the time April rolls around.

They'll split the difference. I fully expect MLB to try its hardest to do a 162-game schedule, but there's no way stadiums will be at full capacity, and the league will use public gathering limits (e.g., Chicago) as an excuse to try to get the MLBPA to agree to something like a 20 percent universal salary rollback.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
The Cardinals let Wong go because they didn't wanna pay him 11.5m next year :v:

Everyone on a team option is about to get released and the owners are going to cry poor :rip:

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 28, 2020

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
gently caress the Dodgers

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Ammat The Ankh posted:

gently caress the Dodgers

:owned:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

boroda posted:

Joc: Oh Joc. I love you Joc. I wish you fit in to the makeup of this team better, but it seems like it's probably time to say goodbye. Sign with an AL team so that you can continue to reign in Joctober.

I would like to see the Yankees make a run at Joc. Lefty OF bat plus finally I get to root for a Jew on the team. I do wish his BB% was still above 12 like it used to be, though.

bawfuls posted:

How was Smith graded framing-wise as a prospect? Framing is notoriously un-sticky year-over-year.

boroda
Jul 26, 2007

нет усов

bawfuls posted:

Oh I don't think they'll give up on him in the slightest, I mean that's why they kept DHing him with Barnes in. It just seems like a logjam of sorts if Barnes indeed stays as a personal catcher. Barnes 96 percentile framing lol.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
What I want the Astros to do in the offseason:
- Non-tender Osuna
- Be aggressive about resigning George
- Failing the above, try to sign Brantley to a 2/3 year deal
- Try to extend Correa. He’s an injury nightmare but if you’re going to lose Springer then you’ll need him offensively and he’s a solid defender. Plus, that’ll secure the IF nucleus for a while.

What they’ll probably actually do:
- Somehow keep Osuna around forever
- Let Brantley and Springer walk after incredibly weak negotiations
- Never even broach the subject of an extension with Correa
- Buy some smaller, more discreet cans

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Timby posted:

They'll split the difference. I fully expect MLB to try its hardest to do a 162-game schedule, but there's no way stadiums will be at full capacity, and the league will use public gathering limits (e.g., Chicago) as an excuse to try to get the MLBPA to agree to something like a 20 percent universal salary rollback.

Only 20%? There's going to be a declined option/non-tender bloodbath, every team is going to dive under the salary ca....umm, luxury tax threshold and we're probably going to see an avalanche of 1 year deals before the CBA expires in a year. Many fans will happily lick the boot.

Then owners are going to make it all up, with mob-style interest the second a new CBA is settled by expanding by 4 teams instead of two.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Giants Offseason Wishlist

- Throw money at all the best FA starting pitchers, including the ones on the team this year. Also use Zaidi magic to find some bad and cheap starters that can be polished up into good starters.
- Also throw money at all the best FA relievers. Also Zaidi magic etc. etc.
- Some more utility infielders? Can't have too many utility infielders.
- Bring up all the prospects.
- Hope Zaidi stole whatever Dodgers Devil Magic turns every prospect into a superstar.

Too bad this offseason isn't exactly ripe with impact starters. I don't give a poo poo about Trevor Bauer's terrible tweets, if he actually has the balls to sign a one-year deal the Giants should jump on that. We don't have much in the way of pitching prospects either, especially at the upper minors.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Thom P. Tiers posted:

The Cardinals let Wong go because they didn't wanna pay him 11.5m next year :v:

Everyone on a team option is about to get released and the owners are going to cry poor :rip:

"What, there's no way the Cardinals would actually release Wo-"

https://twitter.com/markasaxon/status/1321565765431107591

:stare:

Goddamn this offseason is going to be a bloodbath isn't it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So here's the question that's gonna make a lot of Cubs fans angry at me: if the market is such that the Cardinals don't think Wong is worth his $12.5M option, do the Cubs think Rizzo is worth his $16.5M one?

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

https://mobile.twitter.com/Evan_P_Grant/status/1321544779004579842

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

My Dodgers off-season wishlist:

1. Nobody dies of Covid

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Well Played Mauer posted:

Yankees priorities, by Assistant Vice President of Baseball General Management Operations, Bathroom Cleanliness, and Microwaves Well Played Mauer:

Sign DJLM.
Sign Realmuto. Between DJ, JA Happ, and JT, we can corner the market on two letter first name players.
Keep Gary around. If he looks great in spring training, trade him for an SP rental you have a decent chance of extending. If he sucks, well, that’s why you have Realmuto and Higashioka.
Sign Bauer but make him wear one of those gimp masks so he can’t talk to anyone.
Go get Stroman or Quintana I dunno man it’s just money.

I don’t know which of these are serious and which aren’t anymore.

They aren't going to pay Realmuto or Bauer. They are already talking about how much money they are losing this season. Wouldn't you rather have Tanaka back then Quintana or Stroman? They are both pretty meh IMO.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

So here's the question that's gonna make a lot of Cubs fans angry at me: if the market is such that the Cardinals don't think Wong is worth his $12.5M option, do the Cubs think Rizzo is worth his $16.5M one?

Rizzo is probably safe because he is 100 percent the PR face of the franchise. They'll exercise his option as an attempt to save face and say that they're still willing to spend within COVID restraints while dumping Bryant and others for pennies on the dollar.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Sydin posted:

Wong has only had 2 seasons with an OPS+ (barely) above Rizzo's career worst this year, Rizzo will be back.

The real question is will they let him walk or will Jed drop big bucks on a 1B with back issues on the wrong side of 30.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

if the cubs are going to what they've been telegraphing and just stop spending money and being competitive for the foreseeable future i would like them to blow some money on keeping Big Rizz around even if he ages and stinks and can't move anymore because it is cool to have him on the team.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/nypmetro/status/1321592614509039617

LOL. This would be pretty funny if BdB kills the Mets sale and everyone around here hates him even more.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I think Turner will get the Friedman special: minimal years at a high AAV. Something like the Rich Hill deal.

I'd be happy to see Enrique and Treinen be brought back, but I wouldn't bet on it. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say JT will be the only outgoing FA to re-sign.

An as-is super deep team coupled with the current economic landscape would seem to spell a very quiet offseason for the Dodgers. A JT deal, a few under-the-radar signings and trades...maaaybe an extension for Corey? I am not expecting much.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
I'd like to see Joc back purely to have him for the postseason but I'm not holding my breath for it to happen.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/nypmetro/status/1321592614509039617

LOL. This would be pretty funny if BdB kills the Mets sale and everyone around here hates him even more.

Never seen the word hizzoner used before and I find it extremely annoying. Is that used commonly or just in this rag?

Also lolmets

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Der Meister posted:

Never seen the word hizzoner used before and I find it extremely annoying. Is that used commonly or just in this rag?

Also lolmets

It's the NY post so they hate him for dumb reasons rather than the smart reasons everyone sane hates him.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Der Meister posted:

Also lolmets

It's just how The Post refers to the mayor.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

if the cubs are going to what they've been telegraphing and just stop spending money and being competitive for the foreseeable future i would like them to blow some money on keeping Big Rizz around even if he ages and stinks and can't move anymore because it is cool to have him on the team.

:hmmyes:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Vernacular posted:

I think Turner will get the Friedman special: minimal years at a high AAV. Something like the Rich Hill deal.

I'd be happy to see Enrique and Treinen be brought back, but I wouldn't bet on it. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say JT will be the only outgoing FA to re-sign.

An as-is super deep team coupled with the current economic landscape would seem to spell a very quiet offseason for the Dodgers. A JT deal, a few under-the-radar signings and trades...maaaybe an extension for Corey? I am not expecting much.
I kinda expect the opposite for JT: same total value they might offer him in a 2-year deal but spread over 3-4 years. This reduces the AAV for luxury tax purposes which is the main thing they care about. If he falls apart in the last year or whatever he just ends up the veteran vibes guy they want to have around anyway like Chase Utley was.

Maybe that's just wishful thinking

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 29, 2020

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

No matter how heartbreaking it’ll be to see your World Series-winning team yuck it up at the White House in a few weeks, at least Dodgers fans can take solace in the fact that it won’t get more embarrassing than watching them do a Titanic reenactment.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Der Meister posted:

Also lolmets

It's was commonplace in Chicago, at least for the Daleys.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

bawfuls posted:

too late i did it myself but good effort

Such a slimeball

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Atlanta:
Free agents: Tyler Flowers, Shane Greene, Cole Hamels, Adeiny Hechavarría, Nick Markakis, Mark Melancon, Marcell Ozuna, Pablo Sandoval, Josh Tomlin

- Give Ozuna all the money.
- Maybe re-sign Greene, maybe Melancon.
- The rest of the above are either horrible or toast.
- Sign another starting pitcher or three, preferably people who aren't rear end and aren't old.
- If you can end the Austin Riley experiment, please do. He's not horrible, but slightly below league average seems to be his future.
- Dump Luke Jackson and clean every surface his greasy hair has touched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Such a slimeball

How you feelin today buddy?