Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Picard is such a dick to Riker for absolutely no reason in Encounter at Farpoint

“Do this manual saucer re-connection. Why? Because I said so!”

I kind of enjoyed Weird rear end in a top hat Picard from Farpoint. Especially Wesley’s super awkward bridge visit. Which goes from “Well, I guess you sit in my chair for a moment, I don’t see the harm” to “GET THE gently caress OUT, YOU LITTLE poo poo!” in like three seconds.

It makes part of me wish we got more wild mood swing serial killer Picard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

Picard is such a dick to Riker for absolutely no reason in Encounter at Farpoint

“Do this manual saucer re-connection. Why? Because I said so!”

I don't think he even looks Riker in the face until their meeting in the conference room after the Enterprise has been reattached.

My favorite pissy Picard moment is in The Naked Now, when he tells the Chief Engineer du jour to "get that boy out of engineering". The contempt in his voice is just funny to me.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I don't think he even looks Riker in the face until their meeting in the conference room after the Enterprise has been reattached.

My favorite pissy Picard moment is in The Naked Now, when he tells the Chief Engineer du jour to "get that boy out of engineering". The contempt in his voice is just funny to me.

That was something Edward James Olmos did on Battlestar Galactica. The way you could tell whether Adama respected someone or not is if he made eye contact when speaking to them. If it was someone he had absolutely no time for or just loving hated, he would stare past them or at the wall or the floor or start reading something to keep his eyes focused elsewhere.

It was a really neat acting choice, and somewhat tangentially relevant because EJO was actually the runner up for the role of Picard after P.Stew.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

nine-gear crow posted:

That was something Edward James Olmos did on Battlestar Galactica. The way you could tell whether Adama respected someone or not is if he made eye contact when speaking to them. If it was someone he had absolutely no time for or just loving hated, he would stare past them or at the wall or the floor or start reading something to keep his eyes focused elsewhere.

It was a really neat acting choice, and somewhat tangentially relevant because EJO was actually the runner up for the role of Picard after P.Stew.

Olmos was also Leonard Nimoy's choice for Kruge in Star Trek III, but he was overruled by Harve Bennett. I'll always wonder what that would have been like.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Shoulda brought pissy Picard back for PIC. Woulda made the show about 10000000% better.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well they were right to have Kirk steal a time machine from Doc Brown

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

nine-gear crow posted:

I kind of enjoyed Weird rear end in a top hat Picard from Farpoint. Especially Wesley’s super awkward bridge visit. Which goes from “Well, I guess you sit in my chair for a moment, I don’t see the harm” to “GET THE gently caress OUT, YOU LITTLE poo poo!” in like three seconds.

Yeah that scene is really jarring

He just goes off on Wesley real fast

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
It's kind of meant to be though? He goes an apologises to Beverly later about it, and one of the first things he says to Riker is that he's terrible with children.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

nine-gear crow posted:

When it comes to Trek especially it is more than okay to like things that other people don’t.

Unless it's Profit and Lace.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Powered Descent posted:

I'd rather watch Threshold than Profit and Lace again.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Boxturret posted:

It's kind of meant to be though? He goes an apologises to Beverly later about it, and one of the first things he says to Riker is that he's terrible with children.

"You see, I had a terrible experience when I was but a child, myself."
"What was it, Jean-Luc?"
"I was... French."
"Jean-Luc... I'm so sorry."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

8one6 posted:

I'd rather watch Threshold than Profit and Lace again.

Okay, those are exceptions. As is Code of Honor. You're kinda hosed up if you actually legitimately like Code of Honor :stare:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

nine-gear crow posted:

Timby posted:

Olmos was also Leonard Nimoy's choice for Kruge in Star Trek III, but he was overruled by Harve Bennett. I'll always wonder what that would have been like.

Huh, I did not know this. I can't say we missed out on not getting EJO in TNG or Trek 3, because the guys that won those roles did such a great job. Still, I'm glad we got EJO as Adama, because he was phenomenal, and I'm sure he would have done great in any Trek role he would have been placed in

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

Okay, those are exceptions. As is Code of Honor. You're kinda hosed up if you actually legitimately like Code of Honor :stare:

There's not really anything wrong with it beyond the obvious casting issues. If it had been a bunch of Gorn looking aliens or something, it would just be a middling episode.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean yeah if you change things it would be different

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Agreed. Encounter At Farpoint is another example. It would have worked much better as a tightly written single episode than a sprawling two-parter full of scenes like Riker manually reattaching the stardrive section of the Enterprise.

I thought they wrote that in so that they could get filmed sequences of the separation and attachment so they could regularly use it as stock footage, right?

But then they never bothered actually using it because the saucer separation just totally killed the pacing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Roadie posted:

I thought they wrote that in so that they could get filmed sequences of the separation and attachment so they could regularly use it as stock footage, right?

But then they never bothered actually using it because the saucer separation just totally killed the pacing.

Yes, ILM did the VFX for Farpoint and footage they shot was re-used all the way up through Generations (one separation shot in the movie is an upscaled shot from Farpoint--edit: I think the shot of the Enterprise as Picard records his captain's log about Data's emotion chip is also an upscaled shot from the show). Image G didn't have the studio space--or the budget--to do a lot of complicated VFX work for the series, so the producers crammed as much footage of the Enterprise doing poo poo as they could into Farpoint.

Timby fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 28, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Same reason Picard wanders through Engineering for about two seconds at the start - only way they were getting an engineering set was to write a scene with one into the pilot.

Looking back it's kinda weird that sci-fi TV would have had to use that kind of trick and wouldn't have been granted a budget to generate a stock footage library as a preproduction task, since a stock footage library was a standard necessity for all sci-fi shows back then and everyone would have known when they did it in the pilot that that was the reason.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MikeJF posted:

Looking back it's kinda weird that sci-fi TV would have had to use that kind of trick and wouldn't have been granted a budget to generate a stock footage library as a preproduction task, since a stock footage library was a standard necessity for all sci-fi shows back then and everyone would have known when they did it in the pilot that that was the reason.

I think it's because back in 1986 - 87, The Next Generation was by no means a sure thing. The movies were mediocre box-office performers outside of The Voyage Home, Roddenberry was in charge of the thing, and it was an entirely new cast and ship, meaning they had to do a lot of work to gain fan acceptance. It is not outside the realm of possibility that had TNG faceplanted out of the gate, it would have been a one-and-done show, and Paramount at that point was generally reticent in throwing good money after bad investments (remember, the only reason Cheers survived was because Brandon Tartikoff thought it was the funniest thing he'd ever seen and he personally insisted upon its renewal despite no one watching it).

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I think Paramount also basically threw in season 1 of TNG as a freebie when stations were renewing the rights to show TOS reruns. "You want Star Trek? We'll give you this new Star Trek show as well!"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Agreed. Encounter At Farpoint is another example. It would have worked much better as a tightly written single episode than a sprawling two-parter full of scenes like Riker manually reattaching the stardrive section of the Enterprise.

It's not a two-parter, it's a double-length episode. It got broken up into two parts in syndication but it should still be the original double-length edit on the Bluray.

Boxturret posted:

I felt like watching TNG all the way through for the first time so I just watched Encounter at Farpoint. It was pretty good IDK:shrug:

Yeah I don't like recommending people to skip TNG first season because some people actually like it. If they don't like it... just skip ahead, it's an episodic series, it's not like there's developments you have to be caught up on to understand an episode.

Timby posted:

Yes, ILM did the VFX for Farpoint and footage they shot was re-used all the way up through Generations (one separation shot in the movie is an upscaled shot from Farpoint--edit: I think the shot of the Enterprise as Picard records his captain's log about Data's emotion chip is also an upscaled shot from the show). Image G didn't have the studio space--or the budget--to do a lot of complicated VFX work for the series, so the producers crammed as much footage of the Enterprise doing poo poo as they could into Farpoint.

Would those have been actual upscales, or would they have just pulled and re-composited the original film negatives? But yeah, you're right, that other flyby was also a reuse of Farpoint footage.

MikeJF posted:

Same reason Picard wanders through Engineering for about two seconds at the start - only way they were getting an engineering set was to write a scene with one into the pilot.

The original concept for TNG was that they were going to do a big bunch of new footage in between seasons and expand their stock library that way. This concept got blown out immediately when they realized that they'd have to do mid-season new footage even if only for alien ships, but the thought was there. The Arsenal of Freedom is a good example of an (almost?) entirely stock-shot episode.

That said, TNG also got lucky and caught ILM between major projects, so ILM was willing to give them a surprisingly deep discount so as to have something to keep the crew working while they waited for another movie to come along. It made a lot of sense to get as much top-quality footage on the cheap as could be justified.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 29, 2020

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Payndz posted:

I think Paramount also basically threw in season 1 of TNG as a freebie when stations were renewing the rights to show TOS reruns. "You want Star Trek? We'll give you this new Star Trek show as well!"

That's news to me, although I seem to recall that overseas distribution and pre-sales of home video (or am I mixing that up and it was pre-sales of overseas home video?) pretty much paid for the first season up front, so I suppose it would have been financially possible.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like at the beginning they wanted Picard to be the tougher no-nonsense one and Riker to be the softer, emotional one, but I feel like there were more soft, introspective Picard episodes and tough guy Riker episodes than the reverse.

The whole captain first mate dynamic seems like a weird one to work with for writers. They're just so redundant to have both at the same time. Who's commanding officer when both Riker and Picard are asleep?

HD DAD posted:

TNG consistently had the best time-gently caress episodes. I really can’t think of a bad one.

The episode where where Riker traveled back to the foundation of the Federation but also managed to arrange it so that he could play bit parts on some ship on the way to the foundation and have an emotional influence on the crew.

I think that was a bad one.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

Who's commanding officer when both Riker and Picard are asleep?

Data

knox
Oct 28, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

The whole captain first mate dynamic seems like a weird one to work with for writers. They're just so redundant to have both at the same time. Who's commanding officer when both Riker and Picard are asleep?
Rotating crew of the other higher ranks, Worf/Data/Geordie/others all get mentioned as 'having the bridge' I believe? Riker encourages Deanna to study for whatever rank test so she can be eligible to control the ship I think.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Would those have been actual upscales, or would they have just pulled and re-composited the original film negatives? But yeah, you're right, that other flyby was also a reuse of Farpoint footage.

Oh they'd have been recomposited, the FX of the TV series couldn't have been upscaled to remotely near what was needed for film.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Speaking of chains of command, I just got the TOS book Doctor’s Orders in the mail about what happens when Bones is in command of the Enterprise. Excited to read.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean yeah if you change things it would be different

I mean that it isn't broken out of the box like some actual bad episodes. It isn't Shades of Gray, that doesn't work from any angle, or Sub Rosa, which I'm pretty sure was a script delivered to the wrong show.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

lol he did that in Miami Vice too, and apparently it was because he detested Don Johnson. Any scene where they're shot in the same frame, he'll be looking at his desk, the floor, another character, anything to avoid looking at Crockett.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's nice having a second officer who is an unsleeping robot.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Laterite posted:

lol he did that in Miami Vice too, and apparently it was because he detested Don Johnson. Any scene where they're shot in the same frame, he'll be looking at his desk, the floor, another character, anything to avoid looking at Crockett.

God, every story I hear about Eddie Olmos makes me appreciate him even more and just how loving dedicated he is to both acting and expressing his real life frustration through acting. Like that time he thought Katee Sackhoff was being written out of BSG for real so when it came time to film Adama's reaction to Starbuck's "death", he just up and destroyed a $100,000 model ship on his desk in a fit of genuine rage.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I have never heard that, just that he had no idea it was a real museum model and whoops.

He is a rad dude though. He came to speak at my university once and stayed after for hours to talk to every single person who wanted to. We chatted BSG and he gave me career advice, and when he found out I didn't have a camera he ordered someone else to come take a pic of us and send it to me.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

lower decks canonically established that delta shift is staffed by weirdos

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

I have never heard that, just that he had no idea it was a real museum model and whoops.

He is a rad dude though. He came to speak at my university once and stayed after for hours to talk to every single person who wanted to. We chatted BSG and he gave me career advice, and when he found out I didn't have a camera he ordered someone else to come take a pic of us and send it to me.

Oh yeah, they kept Starbuck's fate a secret from like everyone but Jamie Bamber and I seem to recall like the whole cast either separately or together basically storming Ron Moore's office to go "what the gently caress man?" Because they all thought she was fired and Sackhoff was under an NDA not to tell anyone that she'd be back for the final season.

Crusader posted:

Actually Voyager did that. They let Harry Kim sit in the captain's chair from for like the 2 AM to 6 AM shift alongside McKenzie Westmore.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

She'll always be Sheridan Crane to me

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Crusader posted:

That's a real mean thing to say about Beverly Crusher :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

John Wick of Dogs posted:

She'll always be Sheridan Crane to me

I was gonna go with that one, but I wasn’t sure anyone would get it :ssh:

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

nine-gear crow posted:

I always wonder what the hell they were thinking with the first shot of Picard in Encounter at Farpoint - first episode of the first new series, first look at the new character - and they have him lit from behind, half in shadow, like he's a goddamn supervillain or something.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Angry Salami posted:

I always wonder what the hell they were thinking with the first shot of Picard in Encounter at Farpoint - first episode of the first new series, first look at the new character - and they have him lit from behind, half in shadow, like he's a goddamn supervillain or something.

There’s a lot going on with the lighting in Encounter at Farpoint that’s very cinematic and cool before they settle on the Hotel Marriott lobby look for most of the rest of the show. The courtroom scene looks like a Terry Gilliam movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
You know, after watching Nemesis and Picard I think Olmos would have made more sense as Picard and Stewart would have been a better Adama.