Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

"Why does it always end like this?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
welp

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

"Always, always, always..."

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Made some solid progress on the ratmiral today. Need to push my values on the trousers slightly, but it's going in a good direction after some dumb, frustrating mistakes early on.

Squidtamer DA
Jun 3, 2007
Squirts ink when provoked
Was laying in bed with an awful headache and feeling down. I ended up drawing this guy and came out of it feeling better. I'm pretty happy with how it came out! I picked up some more Clip Studio Paint knowledge too along the way, so that's a win for sure.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Gonna ink this soon but you know... the tyranny of graphite.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
This page is great again. Love the pencil demon. Squidtamer - I love that guy, the posture and the design and everything.

Messing with jelly gouache I bought on a whim. I like em!

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Nice colors!

Quick iterative sketch for a super old idea I had.

Letting the paint dry on the ratmiral a bit before diving back in. Gonna start a concurrent painting of this in some capacity in acrylic today. Need to have multiple paintings and pieces in progress.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

dog nougat posted:

Nice colors!

Quick iterative sketch for a super old idea I had.

Letting the paint dry on the ratmiral a bit before diving back in. Gonna start a concurrent painting of this in some capacity in acrylic today. Need to have multiple paintings and pieces in progress.

LMAO, I love this.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

"Just use pens man. Pencil's are for pussies."
*in old man voice*

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

"... You mother𝙛𝙪𝙘𝙠𝙚𝙧"

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Got some solid work done on this painting today and yesterday. The grisalle is largely complete.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

"Hide"

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 26, 2020

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
doing some studies

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
https://twitter.com/cmarguel/status/1320571959797673984

Highly recommend these brush sets. Painting process for the latter here

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Hellbeard posted:

doing some studies

Both of these are much more appealing than your goblin series. The lighting, faces and colors all feel more natural and expressive. I don't know what references you normally use but I think your work would benefit from looking more at actors playing a role, like you've done here. It really breathes life into your subjects.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

NAG posted:

Both of these are much more appealing than your goblin series. The lighting, faces and colors all feel more natural and expressive. I don't know what references you normally use but I think your work would benefit from looking more at actors playing a role, like you've done here. It really breathes life into your subjects.

haha you're right it's much nicer but the cinematographer and reality already did most of the heavy lifting :)
I agree that I should do more of these. Maybe make it into a regular habit even.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

NAG posted:

This goon's got a point. Nothing is better than photo reference. Just hire a goblin with a great rack. Problem solved.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Oct 27, 2020

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I hope this isn't the wrong thread for this question...

How long does it take until the "muscle" of drawing starts to form? I'm pretty motivated to learn, I've been working my way through Proko and DrawABox. I fill in a few sheets a day, but I can rarely draw Loomis heads or boxes for more than ten minutes before I put the notebook aside for half an hour or so. The idea of drawing another box just feels exhausting.

I assume it's like running (real muscles) or other focused activities (coding, meditation) wherein I will get better at long stretches the more I do it, but I was wondering if anyone could speak to that?

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I think it depends a lot more on how you motivate yourself than any sort of muscle you build up. If I have a subject or idea that's motivating me I can easily put some hours into a drawing, but if I don't feel like it it's hard to not get distracted all the time and I quit after an hour.

When you're doing the fundamentals, make sure you interleave it with stuff you think is fun, too, or you'll just burn yourself out on doing exercises all the time. There's an inherent joy to discover in just scribbling things down without much regard for how good it ends up being and that can help a lot in keeping things fun.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Good point. Thanks. I feel like my ability to draw what I see in my head is so far removed from what I see in my head that drawing is more frustrating than fun. I know it's a very long road, and I'm probably a year or two away from borderline competence, just trying to get those 10,000 hours in.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

That's why I'm saying you should just scribble stuff. Don't even think of ideas, just draw whatever. Even random scratches can lead to interesting shapes and figures. It takes a bit to get over this hurdle of planning and conceptualising that we build up as adults, but it's worth trying. Draw things and let yourself be inspired by what you see on the paper.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Well this is topical. I started drawing one year ago today as a form of therapy

Here's the very first thing I drew, on october 27th 2019 when I basically had a mental breakdown at work and walked to a coffee shop after work and didn't know what else to do

And I would have said at that time I had absolutely no idea how to draw a specific scene or object from my mind

Then a few days later, my first attempt at an actual scene:

Then on December 19th, the first time I ever sat down and put significant time and effort into a piece of art:

By January 19th I was kind of starting to get it but still couldn't complete something the way I wanted to:

By April things were coming together, I could put a scene together but it was more like vomiting it out of my head than anything I planned:

In May I felt like I was starting to develop a style and was able to do flat 2d cuts of scenes without much detail:

By June I was starting to branch out with new materials and kind of had a consistently reproduceable theme to scenes:

And I drew this which I remember being very proud of at the time, but that I don't particularly like now:

Around July I completed the first thing I thought was actually "good".

By August I was consistently feeling good about things I put on paper:

in September I was burned out and barely doodled

Then for October this year I:
1) Made a piece tailored to someone else's specifications and was able to convey the vision in my head:

2) Planned a specific scene and drew it (Very very bad scan that does this no justice)

and 3) Got very inspired by and learned a lot from that forest piece and am currently working on these five simultaneously:

I'm still no :airquote: professional artist :airquote: and I couldn't hope to (and don't want to) draw a realistic replica of a real object that I'm looking at but I'm sure I could get there if it was what I had been practicing all along

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 28, 2020

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Yeah, just start drawing something you enjoy vs focusing on being instantly good at it. I've been drawing in earnest for about 13 years now and am improving every day. It's much like learning how to write, it takes time to develop the motor coordination and skills to draw or paint. It's good to practice drawing theory or technique. It's also good to work on (and "fail" at) more normal pieces of art that you want to render, using the theory and techniques you've learned.

I'm walking my dog right now, but I'll update my post with some images when I get home.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

CitizenKeen posted:

How long does it take until the "muscle" of drawing starts to form? I'm pretty motivated to learn, I've been working my way through Proko and DrawABox. I fill in a few sheets a day, but I can rarely draw Loomis heads or boxes for more than ten minutes before I put the notebook aside for half an hour or so. The idea of drawing another box just feels exhausting.

I assume it's like running (real muscles) or other focused activities (coding, meditation) wherein I will get better at long stretches the more I do it, but I was wondering if anyone could speak to that?

The drawabox guy has a section in his guide that explicitly states to spend at least 50% of your drawing time for "fun". Fun meaning drawing whatever you want how you naturally do it to indulge in your creativity and to keep from burning yourself out.

That being said, what exactly is "fun"? What I'm thinking right now is that the form of my motivation is self expression in the form of comics/storytelling or conveying really specific imagery or ideas. So it would be important to spend some time indulging in that, drawing some comics and see what happens no matter how crappy the output is.

CitizenKeen posted:

I feel like my ability to draw what I see in my head is so far removed from what I see in my head that drawing is more frustrating than fun.

Same! I'll draw something and it comes out so much worse than what I see in my head or what I'm referencing that it's physically painful. I'm really in the same boat as you tbh.

What might help is to try and start small and then improve gradually on one thing at a time. E.g. draw fruit and focus on getting the coloring right. Or draw people in winter fashion and play around with outfit ideas

e.

Cory Parsnipson fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 28, 2020

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
deep dish peat moss for what it’s worth I dig your art a lot. Cool vision and nice composition.

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.
So this past month I've been trying my hand at digital painting.

I started with a painting from reference with the close up on the left. Then I did a full body without any direct references. I was trying to figure out how I can use the most minimal rough shading I can while still being able to communicate the form and get a decent amount of detail. As a bonus I had to figure out how to match the perspective of the original reference.

How did I do?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

bltzn posted:

So this past month I've been trying my hand at digital painting.

I started with a painting from reference with the close up on the left. Then I did a full body without any direct references. I was trying to figure out how I can use the most minimal rough shading I can while still being able to communicate the form and get a decent amount of detail. As a bonus I had to figure out how to match the perspective of the original reference.

How did I do?

I think the proportions of the full figure are a bit askew but honestly I think this is really nice. The shadows read beautifully. I'm a big fan of 'use a few marks to suggest more' and I love his face and hair. Very good!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Really dig this, lots of cool things going on in here

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.

HopperUK posted:

I think the proportions of the full figure are a bit askew but honestly I think this is really nice. The shadows read beautifully. I'm a big fan of 'use a few marks to suggest more' and I love his face and hair. Very good!

Thanks! Do you mind elaborating in what way it seems a bit askew?

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

This is not turning out as beautiful as I had planned.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Trying to catch up on inktober.

Chef (Go cry in the walk in...)

Buddy (The World Is A Vampire)

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Shinmera posted:

That's why I'm saying you should just scribble stuff. Don't even think of ideas, just draw whatever. Even random scratches can lead to interesting shapes and figures. It takes a bit to get over this hurdle of planning and conceptualising that we build up as adults, but it's worth trying. Draw things and let yourself be inspired by what you see on the paper.

Case in point, didn't really feel like drawing today, so I just let the pen do the work and saw where it took me.

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

smallmouth posted:

This is not turning out as beautiful as I had planned.

I don't know, I kind of love it. Maybe if the doggo blended a bit better with the rest of the color scheme it would look even better but it's still a pretty awesome piece

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

I started going through drawabox last month. I can only manage 30-60 minutes every other day, so I’ll be at the “draw 250 boxes” thing for a while, but after I complete a page and write any margin notes I put on a youtube video and just doodle in-between the boxes whatever I feel like. I won’t be able to make anything interesting for a long while, but sometimes it’s just fun to draw cow tools right next to my Serious Art Learning Attempts.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

A D&D character

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

Hellbeard posted:

A D&D character

Haha I love his face. He looks like the smuggest uhhh... tiefling?

Getting back on the wagon...

I was referencing Genshin Impact artwork here

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Thanks for the feedback, all. I don't know how I missed the DrawABox mandate to draw for fun. We'll see how that helps me avoid burnout.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

CitizenKeen posted:

Thanks for the feedback, all. I don't know how I missed the DrawABox mandate to draw for fun. We'll see how that helps me avoid burnout.

I only just started doing this. I am a certified Bad Drawabox Student because I chose to grind the first few lessons when the drawabox guy very specifically said not to do that. It’s just... I think the most valuable thing that course teaches is drawing with your shoulder, a technique I ignored being a self taught scrub. Like, I can do all the more advanced DAB exercises with my wrist just fine, but everything I’ve heard/read says the shoulder is the way to go, so now I’m fighting against 15 years of muscle memory to learn how to draw the RIGHT way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Here's another cinematic study - I have a hard time getting started and it's a slog for sure but I wind up really enjoying it and feel like I'm learning a lot.

The guy had some comments, idk if it's improved but as long as the client was happy that's what counts