Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

E: wrongus threadus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Some Goon posted:

Gonk the roof off, we're gonna gonk the roof off the mother sucker
Gonk the roof off the sucker

You've got a real type of thing gonking down, gettin' down
There's a whole lot of rhythm gonking round

Ow, we want the gonk
Give up the gonk
Ow, we need the gonk
We gotta have that gonk
Ow, we want the gonk
Give up the gonk
Ow, we need the gonk
We gotta have that gonk

Ow, we want the gonk
Give up the gonk
Ow, we need the gonk
We gotta have that gonk
Ow, we want the gonk
Give up the gonk
Ow, we need the gonk
We gotta have that gonk

We're gonna turn this mother out
We're gonna turn this mother out

Ow, we want the gonk
Give up the gonk
Ow, we need the gonk
We gotta have that gonk
Ow, we want the gonk
Give up the gonk
Ow, we need the gonk
We gotta have that gonk

Ow, we want the gonk
Give up the gonk
Ow, we need the gonk
(Let us in, we'll turn this mother out)
We gotta have that gonk
Ow, we want the gonk
Give up the gonk
Ow, we need the gonk
(Let us in, we'll turn this mother out)
We gotta have that gonk

Ow, we want the gonk
Give up the gonk
Ow, we need the gonk
We gotta have that gonk
Ow, we want the gonk
Give up the gonk
Ow, we need the gonk
We gotta have that gonk
Ow, we want the gonk
Give up the gonk
Ow, we need the gonk
We gotta have that gonk

(We're gonna turn this mother out)
Ow, we want the gonk
Give up the gonk
Ow, we need the gonk
We gotta have that gonk
Ow, we want the gonk
Give up the gonk
Ow, we need the gonk
We gotta have that gonk

Ow, we want the gonk
Give up the gonk
Ow, we need the gonk
(Let us in, we'll tear this mother out)
We gotta have that gonk
Ow, we want the gonk
Give up the gonk
Ow, we need the gonk
(Let us in, we'll tear this mother out)
We gotta have that gonk

We want the gonk
Give up the gonk
We need the gonk
We gotta have that gonk
We want the gonk
Give up the gonk
We need the gonk
We gotta have that gonk
We want the gonk
Give up the gonk
We need the gonk
We gotta have that gonk

(You've got a real type of thing gonking down, gettin' down)
(There's a whole lot of rhythm gonking round)

Ow, we want the gonk
Give up the gonk
Ow, we need the gonk
(Let us in we'll tear this mother out)

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Proud wizard voice: I did that by hand I'll have you know, and on a phone at that. Just a little bit of magic for the copy and paste, but that don't really count does it gov'na?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I need to pick up on The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, witch school being Bizarro Catholic school never stops being hilarious

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

rollick posted:

Maybe she meant to say Oberlin

Or possibly Lenin:
https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAssh...web2x&context=3

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Which world leaders do you think are Slytherin oops trick question it's all of them

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I need to pick up on The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, witch school being Bizarro Catholic school never stops being hilarious

That show is way better than any Potter media

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
This says McGonagall graduated from Hogwarts in 1954

https://harrypotter.fandom.com/wiki/Transfiguration_Today_Most_Promising_Newcomer_award

And THIS says McGonagall awarded someone negative 100 points in 1910.

https://harrypotter.fandom.com/wiki/House_points

?????

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
JK will never be forgiven for this.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Zesty posted:

JK will never be forgiven for this.

i don't understand IS SHE OVER 100 YEARS OLD IN THE FIRST BOOK *grabs you by the lapels* HOW OLD IS SHE!!!!!!!

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
the best page on that wiki is the one for Minerva McGonagall because it contains an extended breakdown in the "behind the scenes" section about her being a teacher at Hogwarts before she was born and eventually concludes that either the one in Fantasy Beasts 2 is an unrelated witch who happens to have the same name, history and job as the better known one, or that she was time travelling back to before she was born so that she could teach Transfiguration classes instead of Dumbledore so he could teach Defence instead

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Min-Getting On My Nerves-A.

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

Quirrell went to Albania in the late 80s/early 90s because he is a vehement anti communist and assisted in the liberalisation of the country

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

CptAwesome posted:

Quirrell went to Albania in the late 80s/early 90s because he is a vehement anti communist and assisted in the liberalisation of the country

Out of character for Jo to make such a character the villain

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Obviously McGonagall is unstuck in time and lives her life in a non-linear fashion, appearing in random times at random ages like that The Time Travelers Wife movie, or is it more like Arrival?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Definitely more Time Traveler's Wife. Arrival's thing was that you could experience time non-linearly but you weren't physically time travelling.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm just picturing Fatalities and realising duelling would work way better as a fighting game

We see magic do hosed up poo poo like remove bones from an arm, do that on the whole body, or other ludicrously hosed up poo poo like expelling your organs from every orifice or exploding your blood or vomiting acid all over yourself

Ron Weasley is stunned! Press B to lobotomize him with your wand.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Time Travelers wife has a weird pedo undercurrent to the main relationship and I don't like it, not one bit.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Retconning is the worst

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I don't know what you'd call it, but the way the lore of the series is so back-loaded feels frustrating in the same way that retconning does. It's not that JK necessarily straight up changes things from the first couple of books, but so many of the plot points that wind up really mattering to the overall story are things that are added late.

The Deathly Hallows stuff is easily the worst of it because it's all crammed into the last book and the entire series climax is based on some random unfamiliar bullshit about them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like the thing is that using the rules of weird magic poo poo would work to beat Voldemort given he's all about that kind of poo poo

But honestly would have worked to just use the battle of hogwarts to thin out his ranks and then everyone casts all their gently caress you spells at him at once

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like the thing is that using the rules of weird magic poo poo would work to beat Voldemort given he's all about that kind of poo poo

But honestly would have worked to just use the battle of hogwarts to thin out his ranks and then everyone casts all their gently caress you spells at him at once

Harry avada kedavra's Voldemort and then gets thrown into Azkaban for life by a resurgent Cornelius Fudge after the postwar election.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Ror posted:

I don't know what you'd call it, but the way the lore of the series is so back-loaded feels frustrating in the same way that retconning does. It's not that JK necessarily straight up changes things from the first couple of books, but so many of the plot points that wind up really mattering to the overall story are things that are added late.

The Deathly Hallows stuff is easily the worst of it because it's all crammed into the last book and the entire series climax is based on some random unfamiliar bullshit about them.

RWBY actually pulled his off well, because it was many years before you got the actual payoff of getting all that deep lore but it never felt like you couldn't relate or understand what was going on "currently" without it.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
RWBY did not pull that off well

Because it is bad

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
RWBY was so bad at actually working its lore into the show that they had to create supplementary mini episodes that was just straight infodumps.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Harry avada kedavra's Voldemort and then gets thrown into Azkaban for life by a resurgent Cornelius Fudge after the postwar election.

I wonder if it ever occurred to Rowling that she created in Fudge - a spineless empty suit who's only interested in making sure they appease the rich and is woefully under-equipped to handle any kind of genuine crisis - the exact kind of politician she herself would definitely pull the lever for. Fudge is absolutely the kind of guy moderate wizards would have floating yard signs for, and talk about how they're so sick of having to read about Voldemort in the Daily Prophet and just want to go back to not having to think about the ministry.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Sydin posted:

RWBY was so bad at actually working its lore into the show that they had to create supplementary mini episodes that was just straight infodumps.

I wonder if it ever occurred to Rowling that she created in Fudge - a spineless empty suit who's only interested in making sure they appease the rich and is woefully under-equipped to handle any kind of genuine crisis - the exact kind of politician she herself would definitely pull the lever for. Fudge is absolutely the kind of guy moderate wizards would have floating yard signs for, and talk about how they're so sick of having to read about Voldemort in the Daily Prophet and just want to go back to not having to think about the ministry.

I've never seen these mini episodes and it works fine. vOv

Also I was reminded last night that Rowling was all about keeping scotland in the UK so the warning signs were there long ago.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
This might be common knowledge but all the Potter movies are free for streaming on peacock tv. There's ads but they're quite unintrusive, like, better than what happens on youtube or twitch nowadays. Inspired by the shriekcast I'mma give them a watch. I don't think I've seen any of them past Azkaban more than once.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This might be common knowledge but all the Potter movies are free for streaming on peacock tv. There's ads but they're quite unintrusive, like, better than what happens on youtube or twitch nowadays. Inspired by the shriekcast I'mma give them a watch. I don't think I've seen any of them past Azkaban more than once.

If you like RiffTrax, i highly recommend all their HIP riffs. Been watching 'em for years and years, over and over.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

NikkolasKing posted:

If you like RiffTrax, i highly recommend all their HIP riffs. Been watching 'em for years and years, over and over.

:chloe:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Order of the Phoenix has the whole Weasley gang dance around and sing "Harry got off! Harry got off!"

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Several characters are described as ejaculating and mrs weasley is exceptionally skilled at making sauce shoot out of her wand.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
HP has been on HBO for months now fwiw

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

dialhforhero posted:

HP has been on HBO for months now fwiw

They're no longer on HBO Max because of a prior deal with Universal.

lol

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Roth posted:

They're no longer on HBO Max because of a prior deal with Universal.

lol

I saw today that they're leaving Peacock this weekend

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

GodFish posted:

Several characters are described as ejaculating and mrs weasley is exceptionally skilled at making sauce shoot out of her wand.

I half remember a game in school where you read it out loud and replace every instance of 'wand' with 'dick' and it still works and becomes 1000x better.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Just finished rereading Chamber of Secrets. loving Christ. Harry was a blank slate without any opinions or personality. He was only there to self-insert on.

All the plot holes everyone always mentions on top of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

JethroMcB posted:

I saw today that they're leaving Peacock this weekend

What do you gotta do now, buy a wizarding world gold year’s subscription?