Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, I'm not surprised that anyone could believe it, I just don't remember any cultural or media narrative around that like LifeLynx implied.

Nah I remember it being a thing largely because as a dumb high school history nerd in 2004 I wrote a too long paper on all the silly poo poo in the book that people were taking seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My favorite part of the book is that there's a whole chapter dedicated to plugging the Smart Car that his new GF drives.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I just want to note that the plot of the 2013 Tomb Raider game is about a male-only cult that worships Japanese culture, kidnaps a young Japanese girl, and develops a Madonna complex where they deify her and vilify her European friend, to the point of violence.

I feel like that has to be intentional.

Rise, meanwhile, I have no clue what that was on about.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The only Tomb Rader game I played was Tomb Rader 2, and I gave up when I found out that I wasn't supposed to shoot the monks, and if I hadn't they wouldn't have been kicking my rear end on site.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

feedmyleg posted:

Wait, people believed that stuff was true?

Yes. My mother and many of her friends (at the time) were very into it, and while they didn't all believe the story was 100% based on fact there was a lot of "gosh, if it were true the Church would certainly cover it up so it's not like you could ever know for certain." There were also plenty of History Channel shows and the like about the myths that inspired the book, and they all had the same vibe as those UFO/ancient aliens shows they used to do.

I'm kind of glad my mom left that crowd because I'm certain they would have been way into Q poo poo.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 28, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Pirate Jet posted:

I just want to note that the plot of the 2013 Tomb Raider game is about a male-only cult that worships Japanese culture, kidnaps a young Japanese girl, and develops a Madonna complex where they deify her and vilify her European friend, to the point of violence.

Oh, I have played that one. Let me tell you. It’s about

oh, a source of immortality, which has to be destroyed in the end.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

it's about a lot of cool byzantine stuff

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Schwarzwald posted:

Yes. My mother and many of her friends (at the time) were very into it, and while they didn't all believe the story was 100% based on fact there was a lot of "gosh, if it were true the Church would certainly cover it up so it's not like you could ever know for certain." There were also plenty of History Channel shows and the like about the myths that inspired the book, and they all had the same vibe as those UFO/ancient aliens shows they used to do.

I'm kind of glad my mom left that crowd because I'm certain they would have been way into Q poo poo.

And even before the books there were plenty of conspiracy theories around about the Vatican keeping a blood descendant of Jesus around to fulfill some ancient prophecy.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
The Da Vinci code popularized or maybe invented the idea that Mary Magdalene is in the painting The Last Supper. Supposedly tour guides got sick of showing the painting because people did nothing but ask about its supposed hidden meanings.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Pirate Jet posted:

1: The Soviet Union was bad. 2: Don't trust stepmothers. 3: Er...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pirate Jet posted:

It was about shooting people real good.

Rise has the best combat out of the 3.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, I'm not surprised that anyone could believe it, I just don't remember any cultural or media narrative around that like LifeLynx implied.

holy blood, holy grail was a mocked book in Robert anton Wilson novels

Dan brown wrote the illuminatus trilogy for dummies

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

If Shadow of the Tomb Raider where made into a movie, would it be considered a Predator movie? Just with more white savior/Neo-liberal "Only rich white people can save the world!" crap.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1321483732679839744?s=20

This film did not have approval from the Bowie family and will not feature any of his songs.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Didn't Bowie always want the story of Ziggy Stardust to be his movie and not an actual biopic?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The david bowie thing is literally a gag from 30 rock coming true. Amazing. Admittedly, it was a Jannis Joplin biopic, but still

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

And even before the books there were plenty of conspiracy theories around about the Vatican keeping a blood descendant of Jesus around to fulfill some ancient prophecy.

Preacher had a whole plotline on this in the 90s, and, in true garth ennis fashion, made him inbred to the point of retardation, which is all played for laughs.

Preacher is a land of contrasts

Iron Crowned posted:

It's basically the kind of book you buy at the airport bookstore because you forgot to pack your Gameboy Advance.

Maybe I'm showing my age here, but this was an entire loving genre of book. Airport fiction. It's written in a particular style (very simple prose and constant reminders of where everyone is) with a particular focus (details, lots of details about the legal system or art history or how missiles work or whatever) It's so, while you're jetlagged and on your 9th rum and coke, you can keep track of the story and, while the details are being given, either tune out or hyperfocus depending on whether you really want to know exactly how a ship's radar talks to a plane's radar while talking to a missile's radar.

Clancy was obviously the king of this poo poo, but it's crazy how ubiquitous it was right up until quite recently. Whenever my dad was on a business trip he'd come back with two or three of these housebrick sized books

Speaking of Clancy, apparently they're looking to do adaptations of Without Remorse and Rainbow 6. The more surprising thing is that it's taken this long to get an adaptation of rainbow 6, which is a very pre 9/11 book.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC the book has a thing at the beginning from Dan Brown claiming that while the thriller aspects are made up all the historical poo poo and details about the paintings are all true, which they aren't. He then ended up getting sued by the authors of a book that say he stole all the stuff about Jesus having a living descendent from them.

I don't know how that case went, but he absolutely did copy the living descendent stuff from a decades older work.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

feedmyleg posted:

Wait, people believed that stuff was true? I definitely don't remember hearing anything along those lines, but I guess I didn't know anyone who was reading them at the time. I thought it was just one of the occasional book series that broke through to the mainstream like Girl with a Dragon Tattoo where people are nuts about it for a while then it just kinda fades away after everyone gets tired of it. It seemed like an accessible modern day Indiana Jones sort of thing, but dumber.

I got the sense that the lame movie killed interest more than anything.

There were basically entire books and like sub-sub-sections in bookstores devoted to how this stuff was real and all the channels back then like conservative talk radio/etc. pushed it like it was real.

Also come on :D

http://www.biblecodesoftware.org/

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

Speaking of Clancy, apparently they're looking to do adaptations of Without Remorse and Rainbow 6. The more surprising thing is that it's taken this long to get an adaptation of rainbow 6, which is a very pre 9/11 book.

If they are going with the original book, then this sounds like the absolute WORST thing to adapt right now. A bunch of eco terrorists who decide to kill off most of humanity with a pandemic and fake vaccine to save the planet and at the end are left to die naked in a jungle? Yup, just what we need in 2020.

Unless they are just going to adapt the bare bones plot of R6 Siege and load it with "Lord Tachanka" memes.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 29, 2020

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

AceOfFlames posted:

If they are going with the original book, then this sounds like the absolute WORST thing to adapt right now. A bunch of eco terrorists who decide to kill off most of humanity with a pandemic and fake vaccine to save the planet and at the end are left to die naked in a jungle? Yup, just what we need in 2020.

Unless they are just going to adapt the bare ones plot of R6 Siege and load it with "Lord Tachanka" memes.

Also, all the terrorist cells they activate are all cold war terrorists: The Baader Meinhoff gang or elements of the IRA. It's a real end of history view of the world.

There's also a bit where Domingo Chavez uses his 'hot latin blood' as an interrogation super power. And another where they say that 'In Germany, a life sentence means a life sentence' unlike in the US, presumably, which, in retrospect is loving hilarious.

It's a really loving stupid book as are virtually all Tom Clancy books when you're not reading them and instead just remember the poo poo that happens. I mean, one book later Russia joins Nato. In the book before that Iraq and Iran became the same country.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 29, 2020

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Snowman_McK posted:

And another where they say that 'In Germany, a life sentence means a life sentence' unlike in the US, presumably, which, in retrospect is loving hilarious.

I think in legal terminology a life sentence in the US is considered to be 20 years, versus 'natural life' which means you're there until you die.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Without Remorse is a reprehensible book. Here's your prostitute drug addict to redeem, but because she's an ex-whore and recovered junky she's going to be murdered. This gives heroman the excuse to torture people horribly and go on a murder spree. The reward for his bloodbath is levelling up into the CIA job and a good, clean, socially acceptable nurse for a wife.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Michael B Jordan is supposed to be starring in the adaptation of Without Remorse.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I don't know how that case went, but he absolutely did copy the living descendent stuff from a decades older work.

This turned out to be kind of funny. I believe the Holy Blood Holy Grail book authors sued him for copying their book. Which conceptually he did. The funny thing is that they insisted that their book was all true, shocking facts, which means that it's just a history book and you can't copyright the concept of history. If it's true, then it's true. So they got stuck between trying to get money from Dan Brown and admitting that their book was fiction.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Reminds me of the guy who was trying to sue the Conjuring people saying that he had made a deal with the Warrens for their life story back in the day. The studio argument was that it was based on real events and his counter argument was that ghosts aren't real.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Michael B Jordan is supposed to be starring in the adaptation of Without Remorse.

"I lived my entire life waiting for this moment. I trained, I lied. I killed in America, Afghanistan, Iraq... I took life for my own brothers and sisters right here on this continent! "

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Davros1 posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1321483732679839744?s=20

This film did not have approval from the Bowie family and will not feature any of his songs.

This is the worst Bowie impersonation I can imagine

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I've said this before but doing a Bowie biopic is just incredibly ill-conceived no matter who it is unless you go real weird with it, like beyond the "I'm Not There" thing of having a bunch of different actors playing elements of Dylan's persona in vignettes that are varying degrees of fictional.

You'd have to go real out there, like having literally nobody play David Bowie and just have an empty space where the character is and everyone's acting like there's somebody there, or have the character be hand-animated and a vocaloid and everyone else be normal actors. The closest would be maybe having wildly different actors, none of whom look act or sound anything like Bowie, each one playing him in a different phase of his career, and also have constant revisions to the story where characters are directly addressing events that just occurred but making up different events than what we just watched.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm watching the Back to the Future 4k release and this stunt driver from the end of the movie is cracking me up. They hired an Oompa Loompa to drive the car.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I've said this before but doing a Bowie biopic is just incredibly ill-conceived no matter who it is unless you go real weird with it, like beyond the "I'm Not There" thing of having a bunch of different actors playing elements of Dylan's persona in vignettes that are varying degrees of fictional.

You'd have to go real out there, like having literally nobody play David Bowie and just have an empty space where the character is and everyone's acting like there's somebody there, or have the character be hand-animated and a vocaloid and everyone else be normal actors. The closest would be maybe having wildly different actors, none of whom look act or sound anything like Bowie, each one playing him in a different phase of his career, and also have constant revisions to the story where characters are directly addressing events that just occurred but making up different events than what we just watched.
Counterpoint: what if Paul Giamatti played Bowie??

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I think in legal terminology a life sentence in the US is considered to be 20 years, versus 'natural life' which means you're there until you die.

Same as in Germany, but as far as I know you can't give someone multiple life sentences here.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

"Life without parole" means you're there until you die, "life" means you're eligible for release after a certain period (usually 20 years).

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Snowman_McK posted:

The david bowie thing is literally a gag from 30 rock coming true. Amazing. Admittedly, it was a Jannis Joplin biopic, but still

Jackie Jorp Jomp is what I instantly think of whenever I hear about any of these biopics.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

Same as in Germany, but as far as I know you can't give someone multiple life sentences here.

oh yeah, it was a dog whistle for his readers who think the US is too soft on crime (all of them)

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Baron von Eevl posted:

We already have Velvet Goldmine anyway

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

feedmyleg posted:

Wait, people believed that stuff was true? I definitely don't remember hearing anything along those lines, but I guess I didn't know anyone who was reading them at the time. I thought it was just one of the occasional book series that broke through to the mainstream like Girl with a Dragon Tattoo where people are nuts about it for a while then it just kinda fades away after everyone gets tired of it. It seemed like an accessible modern day Indiana Jones sort of thing, but dumber.

I was active in the Lutheran Church and attended Catholic school when the book came out, and we got a LOT of information on how wrong the book was and how it was sacrilegious, heretical, etc. The Church was terrified people would believe Jesus hosed.

Iron Crowned posted:

I think another element of why the Da Vinci Code was so popular was that it was just written in very simple prose. Every chapter also seemed to end with Tom Hanks thinking to himself that "no, it couldn't be that, could it?" With the next chapter picking up with "yes, it was that!"

It's basically the kind of book you buy at the airport bookstore because you forgot to pack your Gameboy Advance.

It's also only like 300-400 pages long but has over 100 chapters, so every couple pages you're getting a twist.

Of course the stupidest thing about the whole book is calling it "The Da Vinci Code" since, you know, "da Vinci" wasn't his last name and so the title is literally "The From Venci Code."

Dan Brown get on the hype train before it's too late, rename your book The DA VINKYYYY?! Code

Snowman_McK posted:

Also, all the terrorist cells they activate are all cold war terrorists: The Baader Meinhoff gang or elements of the IRA. It's a real end of history view of the world.

There's also a bit where Domingo Chavez uses his 'hot latin blood' as an interrogation super power. And another where they say that 'In Germany, a life sentence means a life sentence' unlike in the US, presumably, which, in retrospect is loving hilarious.

It's a really loving stupid book as are virtually all Tom Clancy books when you're not reading them and instead just remember the poo poo that happens. I mean, one book later Russia joins Nato. In the book before that Iraq and Iran became the same country.

I read Executive Orders in high school, and in hindsight making the Secret Service agent that betrays the President a foreigner and the President broadcasts the bombing of a terrorist cell on live TV... do not age well. Not to mention Jack Ryan, upon becoming President, immediately throws out the entire tax code to simplify it.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Counterpoint: what if Paul Giamatti played Bowie??

Counter-counterpoint: I was gonna joke and say John C Reilly as Bowie, but the more I think about it the more I'm into it.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Baron von Eevl posted:

I've said this before but doing a Bowie biopic is just incredibly ill-conceived no matter who it is unless you go real weird with it, like beyond the "I'm Not There" thing of having a bunch of different actors playing elements of Dylan's persona in vignettes that are varying degrees of fictional

I mean, Velvet Goldmine already exists, and was awesome

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

David Lynch figured out the whole "we don't have a Bowie to put on screen" thing 3 years ago. '

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The only person to play David Bowie is Tilda Swinton.