Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Gort posted:

Did you post this just to torture me

The real reason to post it was more selfish: I just wanted to have the link stored somewhere, like a bookmark, so I have it somewhere and that way I will be able to check availability in two weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm surprised Facebook didn't push for full colour high-resolution cameras just for looking into people's homes :v:.

but it says right there the current cameras are better for CV :v:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Synonymous posted:

The OP mentions it, but just to check, is Blade and Sorcery still the main go-to for just tooling around with a sword and magic, or has Until You Fall basically eclipsed it?

The main points I remember from the last few pages are
  • gently caress Skyrim
And that's mostly it for swords.

unless its changed since i last played it blade and sorcery really isnt a game, nor is it very good

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Communist Thoughts posted:

unless its changed since i last played it blade and sorcery really isnt a game, nor is it very good

it has changed

now it runs worse

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
In order to do wireless streaming do I have to buy virtual desktop on both the oculus store and steam? Or can I use my oculus copy to install on the pc somehow

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 29, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

In order to do wireless streaming do I have to buy virtual desktop on both the oculus store and steam? Or can I guest my oculus copy to install on the pc somehow

Only on the Quest. And then download & install this free app on the computer
https://download.vrdesktop.net/files/VirtualDesktop.Streamer.Setup.exe

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
What is the point of the double-barreled shotgun in TWD: Saints and Sinners? I was excited to get it bc who doesn't love a good double barred shotgun, but it's loud, only gets off one shot per reload, and takes up your long weapon slot. Seems like the base revolver is just better all around.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Turin Turambar posted:

Only on the Quest. And then download & install this free app on the computer
https://download.vrdesktop.net/files/VirtualDesktop.Streamer.Setup.exe

you are a gem, thank you

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

NRVNQSR posted:

I'm not sure I understand your first question? Yes, you can play PlayStationVR exclusives with PlayStationVR and a PlayStation. You can't play them on anything else.

PSVR will work on PS5 for PS4 games as long as you have the PS4 camera; the PS5 camera won't work. I'm not sure they've specifically confirmed that PSVR will work for PS5 VR games as well, but we are expecting some PS5 VR games and they haven't announced a new headset so presumably it will.

Ok well I have a ps4 so I can test with that.

Also thanks for the feedback on the Index guys, it seems most of you had some issue with the controller. Is it possible to use controllers from another headset or there is some issue with the sensors?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

you are a gem, thank you

At this point it should go to the OP. Not the first one that asks!

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 29, 2020

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Romes128 posted:

Need some help. What do I have to do to get Alien Isolation running on a Quest 2?

I have Virtual Desktop and SteamVR. I downloaded the MotherVR file and added it to the folder. I added -steamvr to the launch options. When I launch it still launches in theatre mode.

Asking again for some help if anyone knows how to get Alien Isolation running on a Quest 2.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Did some googalizing and found someone who had a similar problem to you. Have you attempted all of their troubleshooting steps, particularly running from a shortcut pointing directly to the exe?

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/64996/alien-isolation-vr-start-problem-please-help

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Ulio posted:

Also thanks for the feedback on the Index guys, it seems most of you had some issue with the controller. Is it possible to use controllers from another headset or there is some issue with the sensors?

You should be able to use Vive Wands with the index, since they are compatible with the lighthouses, but they are somewhat outdated now as controllers seem to be converging on the layout used by the Oculus and Index controllers, where you have an analog stick + 2 face buttons.

I really like the Index controllers, FWIW. The finger tracking is pretty pointless, as people have said, but I really like being able to grab things exactly the way I’d expect? Like you just open your fist and then close it on an object. The track pad also fees a bit redundant and is kind of awkwardly placed — often when I go to “catch” something, my thumb naturally presses on the pad, triggering some other action.

I think a problem right now is that PCVR does not have a consistent input target. The Vive, Index and Oculus controllers are all different from one another, and games often do not have a sane mapping for Index controllers. This will probably get better over time, but it’s definitely a little frustrating at the moment.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Did some googalizing and found someone who had a similar problem to you. Have you attempted all of their troubleshooting steps, particularly running from a shortcut pointing directly to the exe?

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/64996/alien-isolation-vr-start-problem-please-help

Sweet I’ll try that out. I was launching the game direct to from steam.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

AMD showed off their new 6000 series cards recently. The high end ones look pretty powerful, on par with nvidia's 3090 but at half the price. I've heard AMD is usually not good for VR but why is that? Driver support? Or just weaker hardware?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Great Beer posted:

AMD showed off their new 6000 series cards recently. The high end ones look pretty powerful, on par with nvidia's 3090 but at half the price. I've heard AMD is usually not good for VR but why is that? Driver support? Or just weaker hardware?

I’ve been rocking a 5700xt and the short time I had the Quest 2 I’ve had no problem with it.

I just got a 3080 tho so rip my Red Devil.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

PantsBandit posted:

What is the point of the double-barreled shotgun in TWD: Saints and Sinners? I was excited to get it bc who doesn't love a good double barred shotgun, but it's loud, only gets off one shot per reload, and takes up your long weapon slot. Seems like the base revolver is just better all around.

I think the point of it is to teach the player that double-barrelled shotguns aren't a particularly practical choice for fending off zombie hordes.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Romes128 posted:

I’ve been rocking a 5700xt and the short time I had the Quest 2 I’ve had no problem with it.

I just got a 3080 tho so rip my Red Devil.
I've had a 5700XT for the almost year i've had an index and i've had 0 actual issues playing games; however others have reported new drivers messing up their abililty to play games iirc

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

veni veni veni posted:

There was also some job postings a while back suggesting that is possible that it's not being developed under the Playstation brand. My dream would be Sony releasing a PCVR HMD that also serves double time as PSVR 2.

That said Sony has patented like like 2 VR controller variations before and nothing came of them.

Oh hell yeah. After wrapping up Alien:Isolation I was debating what to play next, but I guess I'll just pop squadrons back on.

The day sony makes a VR headset that works on PC, i'll fall over dead. If microsoft decided to care about VR games on console, yeah i could see them doing something that works on pc, but not sony, not ever.

Synonymous posted:

The OP mentions it, but just to check, is Blade and Sorcery still the main go-to for just tooling around with a sword and magic, or has Until You Fall basically eclipsed it?

• gently caress Skyrim

Theres some mixed opinions, but you might want to look into 'Asgard's Wrath', its a full ~30-40 hour or so single player game thats focused around sword and shield combat, as well as puzzles and such. Its combat is not like blade and sorcery's full physics system, but if you're looking for a game with stuff to do that looks nice, its maybe the only thing in that sword fighting niche with that much content in it.

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm hearing good things of this strap for Quest 2, despite the 'looks', it's based on welder masks. And it's cheap:
https://mvhstudios.co.uk/collections/accessories/products/pro-headmount-for-the-oculus-quest-2?variant=33165345325119

It's sold out at the moment.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DoubleT2172 posted:

I've had a 5700XT for the almost year i've had an index and i've had 0 actual issues playing games; however others have reported new drivers messing up their abililty to play games iirc

yeah even on nvidia i only update drivers now when one of my VR games doesn't work. i used to do it relatively regularly, but then VR started breaking regularly so... :v:

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Synonymous posted:

• gently caress Skyrim

For just "tooling around", absolutely, 100% Blade and Sorcery. It is a sandbox currently in it's alpha state.

The mod scene is fresh, people are adding new swords/weapons/spells/maps every day. That's one of the biggest factors in my recommendation, there is always something to try out.

Here is a small edit of some footage I've taken of my playing, grabbed so I could show a friend but I'll post it here. Note: The footage is sped up, I don't have the area to play real time. Real time usually takes more space, because you're going to need to move a lot quicker.

Also, I enjoy playing in slow mo if only to fulfill my power fantasy. That's what I like Blade and Sorcery for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZaFD-2XUio

Until You Fall is a SUPERB game, with an absolutely BONKERS GOOD soundtrack, and is an actual game. So it has an incredibly rigid framework for you, so there is no room for improvisational maneuvers.

BnS lets you use your imagination. I love it

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Faux Mulder posted:

I think the point of it is to teach the player that double-barrelled shotguns aren't a particularly practical choice for fending off zombie hordes.

Makes sense. It did lead to a funny VR moment the first time I tried to use it. Pulled it out to deal with a zom running at me, but the barrel is so long on the shotgun I just smacked the zombie on the side of the head and fired into nothing. Felt like a moment from a zombie spoof movie.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

https://old.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/jk9dp5/mine_broke_something_weird_is_going_on_with_the/

There's something weird going on with the elite straps. The strap is supposed to have serial number and other info on the left side (inside the cup) where it attaches to the headset, and on the box as well. Apparently the info is missing on the straps that have broken. Not sure if that's the case for all broken straps, though.

Check your elite straps, people. At least mine has the info and it hasn't broken so far.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ROFL. Well played.

But seriously, the holes in the plastic that makes it look so busy will make it lighter, and it seems comfy once he puts it (this is the Quest 1 version):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLoRrPyOS68

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Ulio posted:

It's more like some people don't like the Index controllers rather than most don't like them.

I have an Index and I think they are fantastic and I have no complaints at all. I prefer them to the Quest 1s controllers.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shine posted:

The new Star Wars Squadrons patch fixed the framerate issue. It runs buttery smooth for me in VR now! :swoon:

Oh yeah?

Pleaaaaase work!!

Gonna test it now

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
It looks like the only good golf games are mini-golf. Any big-boy golf options out there that aren't terrible? (they seem to be all terrible)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

It looks like the only good golf games are mini-golf. Any big-boy golf options out there that aren't terrible? (they seem to be all terrible)

I have "The Golf Club VR" on Steam and its not bad? I haven't played a ton of it because I'd usually rather race cars or shoot dudes in VR, but I didn't hate the time I spent with it.

There are a lot of good mini-golf games in VR though yeah.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh yeah?

Pleaaaaase work!!

Gonna test it now

Good luck!

In true :pcgaming: fashion, there are some Notepad tweaks that can help, as well:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsSquadrons/comments/jez56v/psa_steps_to_take_to_enjoy_vr/

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
So big test for me was playing Assetto Corsa using link, because I know so well how that game looks and performs on the Rift S, I can compare em
It's just better, clearer for sure and much nicer all round, the link cable is thin enough to not be so much of an issue, and the way the guardian system works is better too, it allows me to select a stationary boundary which is really nice
I still haven't messed with any settings, I am holding off that and seeing what it's like out of the box, so far it's great and everything has worked flawlessly

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Shine posted:

Good luck!

In true :pcgaming: fashion, there are some Notepad tweaks that can help, as well:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsSquadrons/comments/jez56v/psa_steps_to_take_to_enjoy_vr/

:allears: it works. Its actually playable now! Thank goodness. I had just about given up hope after the first couple patches did nothing to address it.

Getting proper 120fps now and it feels good.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

peter gabriel posted:

So big test for me was playing Assetto Corsa using link, because I know so well how that game looks and performs on the Rift S, I can compare em
It's just better, clearer for sure and much nicer all round, the link cable is thin enough to not be so much of an issue, and the way the guardian system works is better too, it allows me to select a stationary boundary which is really nice
I still haven't messed with any settings, I am holding off that and seeing what it's like out of the box, so far it's great and everything has worked flawlessly

Are you using custom link settings?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Turin Turambar posted:

Are you using custom link settings?

Nah, I purposely just plugged it in and played to test it all out at default.
So everything is as it is, not tweaked a thing yet :v:

Starpluck
Sep 11, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
What do you guys think of this for VR locomotion?

You 'walk' but are still stationary the entire time. No need for large treadmills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNVvLgvGU3A&t=15s

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

I have "The Golf Club VR" on Steam and its not bad? I haven't played a ton of it because I'd usually rather race cars or shoot dudes in VR, but I didn't hate the time I spent with it.

There are a lot of good mini-golf games in VR though yeah.

As someone who actually likes minigolf... recommendations?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Starpluck posted:

What do you guys think of this for VR locomotion?

You 'walk' but are still stationary the entire time. No need for large treadmills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNVvLgvGU3A&t=15s

Very cool.

But I'd probably be killed by them somehow.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Novasol posted:

As someone who actually likes minigolf... recommendations?

The OG is Cloudlands VR Minigolf, which has a free demo you can check out to see how you like it. I enjoyed it quite a bit and when you buy it you get a pretty large number of holes. There's a sequel which looks nice but I haven't got it yet.

I've seen a few others on the steam store but haven't tried any.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Zaphod42 posted:

:allears: it works. Its actually playable now! Thank goodness. I had just about given up hope after the first couple patches did nothing to address it.

Getting proper 120fps now and it feels good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FExBwfQHXlE&t=130s

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Shoutout to a game I haven't seen this thread mention ever, a small indie called Horizon Vanguard

https://twitter.com/HorizonVanguard/status/1321884247536394242?s=20

Its basically a bullet hell SHMUP but from a VR perspective. Combination of hoverbike racer and VR arcade shooter.

I think its rad as hell, but also pretty dang tough. But that sale price is pretty killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Steam sales. I'm thinking of giving "Into the Radius" a try. Sounds like its janky and tough, but lots of content. Anyone give it a try?