Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

The SA-X lacks object permanence. How fortunate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Look. I get it. The Space Jump is horrible to control in Super Metroid and drops your jumps almost constantly.

But that does not make it automatically terrible in this game.

also nettori is an absolute joke of a boss and its core-x is harder than it is

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
That whole sequence was excruciating to watch lol

E: To be fair though, you are right that the whole power outage section of this game is brutal your first time. I too couldn't figure out how to escape those drat flowers at first.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 29, 2020

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

C-Euro posted:

That whole sequence was excruciating to watch lol

:yeah:

4 more hours of sliding into madness is gonna be something

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Nat reminds me of ice mages in Final Fantasy XIV.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The good news is that everything after this bit may or may not be challenging but is nowhere near this type of endurance test. Unless you're going for 100%, some of those pickups are very execution specific.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

On the replay one of those flowers took me down to my last e-tank.

Also, I had never noticed that the boss was a chozo statue until seeing it here. There's a lot of detail in this game that gets missed on smaller screens, even on a n3dsxl.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Solitair posted:

Natural20 is, to put it mildly, exceptionally stubborn at video games. I wonder how he would do with Bloodstained.

Also:

...! posted:

All fast forward deaths count double. The first one counts triple. :colbert:

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

NGDBSS posted:

Natural20 is, to put it mildly, exceptionally stubborn at video games. I wonder how he would do with Bloodstained.

How would he do on demon's souls?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Bruceski posted:

The good news is that everything after this bit may or may not be challenging but is nowhere near this type of endurance test. Unless you're going for 100%, some of those pickups are very execution specific.

Oh god, I remember one of them requiring good space jump technique. No way Nat's getting that one.

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012

Solitair posted:

Ice Mage was actually a legit strat as low level conjurer in pre-4.0 days since you could cross-class blizzard2 to get it at a lower level than a thaumaturge could get it and then pop cleric stance and just kill everything better than the DPS because it was stronger than the enemies were balanced to face. I did that and had at least once where I out-aggro'd the tank and out DPS'd the DPS while also keeping everybody at full HP doing that.

Kind like pulling off neat wall jump tricks early on would be good in Fusion. This isn't early on anymore. Learn to space jump, Nat!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Epicmissingno posted:

Look. I get it. The Space Jump is horrible to control in Super Metroid and drops your jumps almost constantly.

But that does not make it automatically terrible in this game.

But in this game, the space jump took his beloved wall jump away from him, it must pay

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

To be fair, imputing a wall jump now does nothing and it makes no sense since Samus could space jump instead.
To be even more fair, stop trying to wall jump when you have an infinite double jump. It isn't finicky in the gba games.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
For what it's worth, I've noticed for Space Jump sometimes you need to hold down A to get the proper height from it. But yeah, it is really finicky at first. But you'll adapt!

...I say to your past self because you've already recorded everything by now.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I used to think Nettori was legit the hardest boss in the game because of how quick things can go wrong if you fall off a platform until I learned today that you hold the jumping button as opposed to mashing it if you get stuck in the flower pods. Now all I can see is this game's version of the glass tank Mother Brain fights. And yeah, Metroid Wiki says it does indeed resemble one of the Torizo's. To the point that it's name in the original Japanese was simply Chozo statue.

I can't remember if the space jump is more or less required for some of the upcoming bosses. What fun this will be to watch. :unsmigghh:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

space jump in fusion is really finicky in my experience. you need to press and hold for a good few seconds before space jumping again.

Shitenshi posted:

I can't remember if the space jump is more or less required for some of the upcoming bosses. What fun this will be to watch. :unsmigghh:

it makes Nightmare a lot easier, that much i know.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Nat's continued enmity with the Space Jump is just :allears:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I blame my Nettori performance on the space jump. By the time I got there I was basically completely tilted by it.

It genuinely feels no easier here to me than it did with Super and there are more two sprite wide vertical shafts they want you to go up with it.

SugarAddict posted:

How would he do on demon's souls?

I never played demon's souls but my experience of the first dark souls was running into the basement of a tower over and over again to fight a dude with a mace that oneshot you until I got bored and quit the game.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I too do not like the Space Jump in any Metroid. An "ultimate" powerup should not require that much execution, imo. Yes, the timing is consistent and learnable, I'm just bad at being consistent with timing. So I fully get Nat's frustration.

I also hate this boss. It is very much not intuitive how to get out of the flowers. When I first played the game, I would just reset when I fell in. For the first phase, find a steady rhythm of using power bombs to clear out the pollen, shoot a few missiles, power bomb again, rinse repeat. Then try and dodge the plasma shots perfectly so they wouldn't knock me in. I'm not counting it as a "hard" boss per se, I just really hate its design personally.

Natural 20 posted:

I never played demon's souls but my experience of the first dark souls was running into the basement of a tower over and over again to fight a dude with a mace that oneshot you until I got bored and quit the game.
Despite me defending you above, it is striking how stubborn you can be in games. That guy also killed me a lot but then I just decided to go somewhere else (and there's tons of "somewhere else"s in DS1) and come back later to cream 'em. I think not being able to gently caress around in a big world, get power-ups and just practice is what's tripping people up in Fusion, conversely, and it might be why you enjoy the game so much - for most of these bosses, you just gotta.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I was not expecting this area to go well. This is definitely one of the most oppressive sequences in the game, and your reluctance to dodge definitely isn't doing you any favours.

I remember it took me quite a while to get used to the Space Jump in this game (I think this was the first Metroid I played, and I had no idea how it worked); I got stuck in Yakuza's room for a while just trying to get out. That said, I do think it feels pretty good once you get used to it, there's a rhythm you can get into (I think I remember it being something like only pressing the jump button when Samus is heading downward?) and it might be worth practising because some of the later bosses really do expect you to use it to dodge. (I know there's no use trying to talk to past-you since this has all been recorded, but still.)

Nettori is a really weird boss. It's not very difficult once you get past the "agh how do I get out of the flowers" (I remember having trouble with this too, it is a bit counterintuitive how to get enough jump height), since it's stationary and all its attacks have straightforward counters, but those flowers have definitely killed a lot of players.

I'm hoping this isn't ruining the game for you, you really don't sound like you're having a good time any more.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Simply Simon posted:

I too do not like the Space Jump in any Metroid. An "ultimate" powerup should not require that much execution, imo. Yes, the timing is consistent and learnable, I'm just bad at being consistent with timing. So I fully get Nat's frustration.

What timing? In the GBA games, space jump will trigger anytime you press the jump button during the downward phase of a spin jump, as long as you're not trying to wall jump because hell if I know why*. That's not a timing window, that's a timing glass panel the size of an airport runway.
*This one I agree is finicky because it makes no sense but you can just not wall jump (it does take me a couple minutes to adjust every time to be fair).

Some powerups may have really tight timing requirements (that room in Zero Mission) but simply going upwards at a steady clip is easy if you wait the peak of the jump before pressing the button again.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Omobono posted:

during the downward phase of a spin jump
This timing. I keep pressing too early because I want to optimize the height gain.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
The Space Jump is the way it is because it's meant to be an exploration power up, not a combat power up. It gives you the ability to fly infinitely, but it's awkward enough that when it comes to fighting enemies, you still need to rely on basic platforming ability instead of flying over stuff like it's a Kirby game. This isn't accidental at all: by the time Fusion came out, this was the third game with the Space Jump, and if they wanted to change it, they would have.

Additionally, Metroid is already very overloaded with its control scheme: a context sensitive shot button, movement and aiming being on the same controls, two types of jump optimized for both horizontal platforming and vertical traversal. It's actually much more straightforward in terms of usability to add in a powerup that says "jump infinitely" than one that says "we're going to change how a major button works after you've spent most of the game getting used to it".

It's absolutely fine to not like using it, but the Space Jump is serving some very specific roles in the way it works, and I'm not sure other options would have played as well in the larger context.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Rosalie_A posted:

The Space Jump is the way it is because it's meant to be an exploration power up, not a combat power up. It gives you the ability to fly infinitely, but it's awkward enough that when it comes to fighting enemies, you still need to rely on basic platforming ability instead of flying over stuff like it's a Kirby game. This isn't accidental at all: by the time Fusion came out, this was the third game with the Space Jump, and if they wanted to change it, they would have.

Additionally, Metroid is already very overloaded with its control scheme: a context sensitive shot button, movement and aiming being on the same controls, two types of jump optimized for both horizontal platforming and vertical traversal. It's actually much more straightforward in terms of usability to add in a powerup that says "jump infinitely" than one that says "we're going to change how a major button works after you've spent most of the game getting used to it".

It's absolutely fine to not like using it, but the Space Jump is serving some very specific roles in the way it works, and I'm not sure other options would have played as well in the larger context.

I think I'm going to refer back to Symphony of the Night here which I think has a superior method of progression in terms of movement tools for exploration.

You get a jump, followed by a double jump which is context-less, in that you can jump freely after the first jump instead of requiring you to be falling. And then you eventually get to turn into a bat and fly around freely, but taking a hit will drop bat form.

I don't know how you'd translate that to Metroid, but the bat achieves functionally the same purpose as the space jump but absent the execution requirement.

That being said I will happily admit that I am in a tiny minority when it comes to difficulty with the space jump. It's just such a problem for me that it actively brings down the rest of the game.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The problem is that you can't do it while standing still which makes it an absolute bitch for narrow vertical pathway. You need to move slightly forward, then jump backwards to get in there. I honestly see no reason not to combine the space jump and wall jump. In open spaces yeah it's great.

Come to think of it, Prime basically did that.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I forget, does Metroid Fusion allow you to selectively disable specific suit upgrades the way Super did?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Come to think of it, Prime basically did that.
Didn't Prime just turn it into a regular double jump?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Didn't Prime just turn it into a regular double jump?

...I may be thinking of the screw attack.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Yakuza/Nettori/Space Jump destroyed his mind. The Nightmare will destroy his soul :laugh:

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

W.T. Fits posted:

I forget, does Metroid Fusion allow you to selectively disable specific suit upgrades the way Super did?

No, it definitely doesn't. I don't remember if that mechanic ever came back, but it certainly wasn't in any of the GBA games.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Explopyro posted:

No, it definitely doesn't. I don't remember if that mechanic ever came back, but it certainly wasn't in any of the GBA games.

I thought it might have been in Zero Mission?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Quackles posted:

I thought it might have been in Zero Mission?

Zero Mission had a suit gear display screen similar to Super Metroid but I can't remember if it let the player turn stuff on or off.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 29, 2020

Blue Link
Apr 22, 2014
Zero Mission had a debug function to toggle non-suit upgrades, but it was dummied out for the release. In case you are curious, there is a romhack here that reenables that and a bit more.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I don't normally like seeing an LPer get frustrated but after a pretty long couple of days the latest video was incredible. Much appreciated gentlemen.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
drat. Git gud, scrub. :colbert:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

W.T. Fits posted:

I really liked this feature in Super, for whatever reason.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Glad you remembered your ABCs

Always Be Charging.

Also shocked just how much Nightmare refused to stop swirling around at the worst locations to do damage.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Given how much you hate using space jump, you are doing surprisingly well in this fight. It's just that Nightmare has way too much hp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
:golfclap: you are doing very well.