Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

NOTE: the official English translation is due for full release at the end of November, but it's available through the Steam beta program now by entering the Beta code gsqenglishtest
ALSO NOTE: Click here to read a great Let's Play thread about this game

Available for $18.99 on Steam NOTE: The official launch is on November 25th. On that date, the price will increase. also, purchasing the game BEFORE the 25th will provide you with the first DLC (adding pandas and fishing, released on November 25th) for free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRG61jRAFQ0

Since there are a few of us addicted to this game in the Fresh Releases thread and since everyone who it clicks with seems to become obsessed, I figured it was time for a thread. It's a certified Very Good Game.

Amazing Cultivation Simulator is a Chinese-language indie Colony Sim meets Adventure RPG set in a mythological Chinese Xanxia (Cultivation) world with an official English translation. In it you can expect to:
  • Build a temple for your disciples to live and worship at
  • Watch your characters spend several in-game days or even years powering up, DBZ-style
  • Manage the flow of Qi around your herb garden to eventually brew ancient medicines that extend your lifespan by hundreds of years
  • Scribe enchanted talismans that make you move as fast as lightning
  • Craft magnificent artifacts and then endow them with sentience
  • Search the entire world for Dragon Feces to gift to a faction leader who is obsessed with it
  • Govern settlements, order construction projects
  • Mutate your disciples' bodies into war machines
  • Accidentally pray someone's dick off and then craft it into a powerful artifact that they ride into battle on
  • Finagle the delicate laws of Feng Shui to create powerful rooms
  • Accept demons into your faction that are scheduled for a boxing match against heaven and prepare them to win
  • Trick traders into thinking score sheets from your colonists' Go games are legendary treasures
  • Invite your enemies to visit your base... then knock them out and force-feed them rebirth pills to turn them into puny newborn babies.
  • And literally so much more that if I don't stop listing it now I'll be writing this post until 2021

Links:
Forums Poster Nyaa's fantastic Let's Play series for the game
English Discord - best place to get guidance on various game mechanics
Very long, thorough, and outdated Beginner's guide - A good guide to follow on your first playthrough to get familiar with the game mechanics, but it was written before the official translation so some names can be different. Ask in the thread or Discord if you have any questions.
Body Cultivator Essence guide
Guide to where to find various items by camping or entering maps

FAQ:
Is there a learning curve?
The learning curve is steep but not nearly as steep as a game like Dwarf Fortress. If you can deal with an incomplete translation (soon to be complete) and asking questions in Discord/this thread it's maybe on par with Rimworld. There are a million systems to learn but they all rule.

Is the game like Rimworld?
Sort of. The colony sim part is very familiar for Rimworld players, a bit pared down, but with its own interesting mechanics that add artistry and challenge to building. But it's so much more than that, that it makes it hard to compare directly to Rimworld. Where Rimworld focuses on being a story generator, ACS is focused on being an adventure, and a game. They're both great at what they do.

My characters can't handle extreme temperatures what do I do?!
Kill a magical beast and make clothes from its furs.

How do I visit NPC sect bases or explore in their lands?
First gift them an item to unlock trading, then trade with them and buy the item called "access" at the bottom of the list for 200 spirit stones (or the equivalent).
NOTE: While you're there make sure you "Observe" all of their unique furniture to learn how to build it yourself, and talk to the residents until you know what all of the sect leader's favorite things are.

How do I build settlements?
You'll get an event telling you that you can build a settlement then your first settlement has to be built on the mountain right next to your base. Once you earn Influence from that settlement, you can use it to build others.

How do I learn skills from other Laws?
Build a manual shelf, click on it and choose "Transcribe", then choose "Law", then pick a law and a disciple to transcribe it. Once they've transcribed the entire law to the manual shelf, your other disciples can "Study" the manual shelf to learn skills from it.
(Pro Tip: learn all the skills that increase Maximum Qi, Qi Sense, and Mental State on all your disciples. But optionally maybe not the one that makes their manhood fall off, that's up to you.)

That Guy Bob posted:

Anyone try the 最高难度 large map seed?

Its really really good.

deep dish peat moss posted:

I found a very good seed for a Large Plains map: MichaelJordan

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Note: I'm going to be slowly filling game info into this post as we approach the November 25th official launch.

Amazing Cultivation Simulator consists of layer upon layer of mechanics. While the mechanics themselves are fairly easy to understand, there are so many of them and they interact in so many ways that it’s easy to feel lost.

Don’t stress out about any specific mechanic too much!

I’m using this post as a very zoomed-out guide for newer players. I’ve found a lot of fun in exploring the mechanics on my own so I don’t want to spoil specific mechanics - let the fuzzy science of Ancient Chinese Medicine lull you to sedation.

Most of this is fairly well explained in the in-game codexes or tutorials but there are so many of them that they’re a bit overwhelming, so here you go!

Disciples
Outer Disciples are your mortal colonists - they perform mundane tasks like building, farming, crafting, etc. They mostly exist solely as manpower but you can pick out the ones with good stats to promote to Inner Disciples
Inner Disciples are Outer Disciples that have been promoted and taught a Cultivation Law to become Cultivators. They are your "main characters". Once promoted, they generally stop doing all mundane tasks, but gain access to lots of special activities.

Cultivation
There are three archetypes of cultivator for your Inner Disciples, each one containing several "Supreme Laws" (classes)

Standard/Qi
Most of your cultivators will be standard cultivators. They power up by meditating while surrounded by Qi Gathering items. They go through a series of “stages” which are ranks of Qi Cultivation. In general, your goal is to:
1) Reach the second stage, named Core Shaping
2) Increase your Max Qi as high as possible
3) Perform a breakthrough to reach the next stage - Golden Core - with a Tier 1 soul
4) Start specializing as utility characters, combat characters, magic crafting characters, etc.
5) Slowly work toward the next stage, named Primordial Spirit
6) Do not advance past the Primordial Spirit stage

You want to build and assign them a Qi Gathering spot (Cushion or Qi Cushion) surrounded by display tables that display items with “Qi Gathering” on them of the element that feeds the cultivator’s law.

Shendao/Divine
Your Shendao or Divine cultivators will be the public and spiritual face of your sect. They progress primarily through alternating phases of being restrained godly ascetics, and indulging in Human pleasures. They will fast and meditate for long periods of time, then travel to your settlements to gather the belief and Divine Residents (souls) of your myriad followers in order to build a Divine Realm (afterlife) for your religion. They will eventually transcend to godhood and be lost to you forever.

Shendao Cultivators are very important going into the end-game due to their ability to remove your other cultivators’ Obsessions (permanent negative debuffs they receive from living too good of a life). They are also very frustrating because you will need to go out of your way to deliberately keep them less happy than the rest of your sect.

Making them useful isn’t hard to do, but min/maxing them can be a nightmare. Shendao have two separate Breakthrough paths and they progress through both - the first is their standard breakthrough similar to Qi cultivators, the second is their Mental State breakthrough which you can see details about by hovering your mouse over their Mental State status bar.

In general, your goal for Shendao Cultivators is to:
1) Keep their Mental State maxed via whatever means are available to you
2) Spend as little time as possible in the “Restrained” state, which raises Divinity
3) Keep your Divinity as low as possible at all times and only increase it when it’s required for a breakthrough - doing this is very, very, very important if you want to hit the max Mental State breakthrough stage - this isn't necessary by any means but provides a significant boost to your Shendao's power ceiling (via controlling the maximum number of divine residents)
4) Eliminate all mood buffs, both positive and negative
5) Constantly be working toward Mental State breakthroughs
6) Begin gathering Divine Residents to reach 1000 as soon as possible and form a Divine Realm by making it through two standard breakthroughs
7) Grab utility spells and Guards through Divine Realm buildings
And 8) Make sure not to go over your Divine Resident soft-cap

I recommend getting your feet wet with them a bit, then looking up a guide to learn how to manage them without getting too frustrated. It’s best to start planning for your Shendao cultivator as soon as possible because they are the only way to remove fully-formed Obsessions which are likely to show up by the time your Qi Cultivators are hitting Primordial Spirit, if not earlier.

Body Cultivator
Body Cultivators are the strongest combat characters and while they’re not required, having a strong Body Cultivator or two can make your life much, much easier in the endgame. Think of them like mutant Gokus that reshape their body parts in order to become better at destroying fools.

They are very complicated and hard to explain succinctly so don’t expect a coherent guideline here. What I can say is:
1) Schedule them to automatically Breathe for at least a few blocks of time every day and occasionally switch up the times they Breathe to get different essences
2) Focus on applying mutations to their organs or body parts that already have a Secret Body (I think "Secret Body" and "Hidden Body' are the same thing for what it's worth)
3) Start planning for what rare labels you want on body parts right away. The higher the level of a part, the more expensive it becomes to refine, so loading up on rare labels early on will save you a lot of effort in the long run, even though...
4) Any Body Cultivator labels that affect the character's "secret body" or "hidden body" will only apply if the cultivator has a Secret/Hidden Body equipped on that body part.

Per Clark, Silk Road Merchant (a very knowledgeable Chinese player) on the discord:
For choosing the best labels:
"penetration = enrage rate > atk in body = def in body > else" [in choosing what labels to apply to non-Organ body parts]
Organs do the dodge & regeneration stuff."
Penetration is the best stat because at 95% penetration you do approx 20x damage which makes Body Cultivators ideal for killing the first Flood Dragon

While they’re super complicated and deep, it’s hard to “go wrong” with a body cultivator, you can ignore them for long periods of time without falling behind, so promote someone when you can to start learning more!

Manual Shelf
You can "transcribe" any laws you've learned (as a sect) into the Manual Pavillion. This will let your individual inner disciples "Study" at the manual shelf in order to learn those skills - this lets you learn cross-class skills.

How to develop an okay Outer Disciple into a great Inner Disciple:
First use any pills/spells you have that raise their stats. Do this BEFORE promoting them!
Eat Eternity Pill (preferably spectral refined to t12) (stat boost + lifespan boost)
Eat 2x Bane Pill (preferably spectral refined to t12) (stat boost + reduces lifespan)

After promotion:
Collect and eat 8 Red Ginseng and 8 Red Ganoderma (preferably spectral refined to t12)
Collect and eat 2 Earth Flux (preferably spectral refined to t12)
(Optional) Collect and eat 2 Wicked Flux
Learn any skills available to increase Max Qi

Break through to Golden Core when you can hit Tier 1 or higher
Continue learning Max Qi spells and aim for at least 77.1k (WARNING: not having enough max qi for the next step will kill you)
(NOTE: This means 77.1k empty qi - so spend it all on miracles before eating the pill!)
Eat Sun Pill (DON'T refine it to T12 )

Qi/Qi Gathering
Every tile and item on your map has a "Qi" value. This actual number is almost never relevant to anything, so don't worry about the amount of Qi listed on items (except in one exceptional case that I'll cover next) - that number is a good measure of how much Qi Gathering is happening around them, but not much else.

The one time the Qi listed on items is relevant is when you're having an Inner Disciple eat an item. Any Qi contained into the item will be recovered to their Qi pool and if this exceeds their maximum they will get a spirit injury - if it exceeds the maximum by too much it can actually just instantly kill them or blow up their body parts. Don't eat an item with a lot of stored up Qi on a cultivator that doesn't have room to contain the Qi!

Qi Gathering is your primary method of increasing the cultivation rate of Standard Cultivators. It can also influence the fertility level of surrounding soil. Display Tables are the best way to keep an item with Qi Gathering in one spot.

Qi Gathering is represented by two values: A numerical score, and a range.
The score represents the strength of Qi Gathering (also the strength of Feng Shui an item radiates when placed on a table). Higher = better
The range represents how many tiles that item gathers Qi within. When looking at Qi Gathering range keep in mind the tiles increment in cardinal directions only - an adjacent diagonal tile is two range away. Also, the tile that the item itself is on counts as the first tile of range. What this means is that "Range 3" will gather qi within two tiles in any cardinal direction, and one tile diagonally. I was incorrect here. Qi Gathering increase in cardinal directions as explained above but due to some trigonometry magic, one single diagonal move takes 1.4 range. This means that a Qi Gathering range of 3 will affect one diagnonal tile, but a Qi Gathering range of 4 will affect two diagonal tiles.
Element matters for Feng Shui but NOT for Qi Gathering - since the Feng Shui range is 3 (two tiles) across the board, this means that you want Qi Gathering items within 2 tiles to be of the appropriate feeding element, but outside of that it doesn't matter - so you can place Spirit Wood (Qi Gathering Range 4) on all spots 3 tiles away from a cushion regardless of the element the cushion/cultivator needs.
Note: Qi Gathering does not reduce the amount of Qi in any surrounding areas. It simply congeals more qi within that range. It's a net positive and doesn't have any downsides.

Qi Gathering Pro Tip: first build a display table where your cushion is going to be, place a Qi Gathering item of the appropriate element there, then delete the table to make the item fall to the ground. Next, ban the item so your disciples don't move it, then build your cushion on top - you just squeezed an extra Qi Gathering item into your layout!

Feng Shui
Guide needed. I'm sick of Feng Shui and thinking about it! I can write one later but for now there's a temporary guide further down in this post, and you can read through my posts on the first 5-6 pages of this thead to find lots of individual feng shui writeups

Talismans
Talismans are equippable passive buffs, each disciple (inner and outer) can have up to six talismans equipped at a time, but only three can be active (you can toggle them on/off from the character's equipment menu)
You cannot equip two of the same talisman.

To draw a talisman select your Inner Disciple, choose "Draw" and then click on a Talisman Paper (crafted at Talisman Tables). You will see a menu pop up where you can select a talisman and then be shown the symbol for that talisman - you need to trace the symbol as accurately as possible. The strength of the talisman is based on (1) The tier of the talisman paper you drew on, and (2) the match % of your drawing to the actual talisman drawing. Refining a talisman after drawing it does not increase its strength.

You may be interested in this mod, which gives you a button to instantly trace a 100% accurate talisman and skip the manual drawing process:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1821879063&searchtext=

Talismans are incredibly powerful and best not ignored. Some talisman effect values when drawn at 100% accuracy on a tier 12 artifact paper are:
+1995% Artifact Power
+48 Base Mental State
+60% Crafted Artifact Quality
+120 Move Speed
-12 Divinity
+400% Adventure Fly Speed
+100% Harvest/Butchering Yield (!!!)
+80% Breakthrough Chance Bonus (!!!!!)

As you can see these are huge buffs, and they require relatively low investment to create.

NOTE: While it's best (for your sanity/resources) to craft Sacred Talisman Paper (t6) and refine it to Tier 12, a lower tier Talisman Paper refined to Tier 12 will have the same final strength as a Sacred paper refined to T12.

Artifacts
Coming soon…
But a brief version for now:
The best base item for an artifact is a weapon made with a high quality version of the material appropriate for the cultivator's law. The base stats of the item do matter, and weapons will end up with far more Artifact Power than random materials or clothes or disciple penises or whatever. Late game on an artifact mastery focused character the difference between a Blade and a water bucket both crafted into T12 artifacts can be 25k+ Artifact Power in battle which is enormous.
(I'm still testing the effect of artifact element on actual power, I'm not seeing a clear indication that it has any functional effect but haven't tested too thoroughly yet - some advice I read in a translated Chinese guide early on was to use a Lance of the same element as the cultivator, but I'm finding that Blades are giving me significantly higher Artifact power than lances so I'm not sure if that guide's info is still accurate)

Formations
Guide Needed

Spirit Pets
Throughout your sect's time you will find and befriend four different spirit pets. You can have one active at any given time. The first one you will find is a puppy but I won't spoil the others.

Spirit pets are special animals that fill a fairly unique generalist role in your sect.
1) They have very strong defensive abilities and therefore make good tanks against anything except end-game enemies. They can safely, on their own, defend your sect against anything except end-game (Primordial Soul) cultivators, who will win in a battle of attrition.
2) They can be trained to automatically perform several types of Outer Disciple work, like hauling, butchering, hunting, looting bodies, dragging corpses, etc. without you needing to micro-manage things like giving "search" orders for bodies
3) The dog in particular can urinate on your crops with magical urine that makes the plants grow significantly faster
4) They can be trained to auto-feed pills to your inner disciples
5) At any given time they will have a handful of actions available in their "Train" menu that you can either discourage or encourage, but other than that they're very hands off and low-maintenance
6) You can influence their growth and stats via strictly controlling what they eat, or you can let them make their own decisions

Don't ignore the "you found a puppy" notification you'll get during the first year! There's absolutely no downside to having a spirit puppy, just remember to check their Train menu occasionally to influence their behavior. They will grow larger and older and more powerful over time.

Specter Refinement, Anguish Gems, Hellgates, and Item Tiers
There's a miracle called Specter Refinement that your Qi Cultivators can learn.
Specter Refinement uses 30k qi and an Anguish Soul gem to attempt to raise the tier of a targeted item by one, up to a maximum of 12.
This system is a bit arcane and goofy, some quick rules:
1) To create a more powerful pill, Specter Refine the pill - the strength displayed on the tooltip won't change but the effect of the pill will.
2) This gets a bit weird - the strength isn't based so much on the final tier of the pill, but the number of times it was refined. This means that a Tier 6 pill refined up to Tier 12 will see a much larger increase in effect than a Tier 11 pill refined up to Tier 12 - but the Tier 11 pill takes less resources to refine to T12 as well as having a stronger base effect, so they're both worth refining before consumption. (Not sure if this will ever be relevant but mechanically this is how it works - strength isn't directly tied to tier, but each time the tier increases the pill's hidden 'Strength' attribute is raised)
3) To create a more powerful Talisman. Specter Refine the paper before drawing the Talisman
4) In general I think those are the only two things you'll want to be Specter Refining? If someone knows another good use, let me know!

Some good things to Spirit Refine before consuming when possible include: Earth Flux, Wicked Flux, Sun Pill, Bane Pill (be careful! A refined Bane Pill is going to take a few hundred years of lifespan off, so have them eat a refined lifespan pill first), Talisman Papers, and lifespan increasing pills.

So how do you get enough Anguish Soul Gems to keep specter refining? Why, with a hell gate of course!

A hell gate is a Gate ("Sect" tab of the build menu) placed inside a room with Very Ominous Feng Shui (the easiest way to do this is to stick a Spirit Relic on a display table in the room), and then optionally filling the room up with a deadly temperature (hot or cold - preferably not hot, it sucks) to facilitate quick deaths. Anyone who dies in a Very Ominous room will drop an Anguish Soul Gem.
Any random recruits who wish to join will stand at your Gate until you either accept or banish them. They'll do this even if it means starving to death, or freezing to death, or burning to death - they're free Anguish Soul Gems! And since they're dying... "naturally"... this does not count as an evil act by your sect or cultivators.
You can also drag enemies in the "Dying" state into the room (or set your spirit pet up to do this automatically using Staging Areas found in the "Pet" tab of the build menu) for the same effect.

So for example if you have a good Hellgate set up, then attend the Kunlun Festival annual event and get 50 applicants to your sect, all 50 will come stand in your hell gate until they die and then each one will drop an Anguish gem. See the information about recruiting under the Settlements section of this post - this will be your primary source of Anguish Soul Gems, you can effectively buy them for 10 Influence each.

Adventuring/Secrets
Another very complex mechanic, rather than writing a guide myself I present to you:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AuIiJer21OTWGwldM03yXhic8I6mibOOgOg8t76ysU4/edit?usp=sharing - Useful resources found on maps by "Enter"ing them - by swb on Discord
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FuY6U9tubawNHpFmm-hkJMtnTL69QGrnuKcTaNyB3_8/edit#gid=1446254763 - Dal's General Information (by Dalois on Discord) has information about special events found via Steles in enterable maps

Building Settlements
This is fairly straightforward but some advice:
Build a Spirit Master Hall right away in every city you settle in. You can use this to recruit new disciples - either to your sect base or to your settlements directly. Why is this so important? Because it's the best consistent source of Anguish Soul Gems via a hell gate, but also because it has the best and most readable recruitment UI and makes finding new disciples worth holding onto rather easy.

Pro Tip: Only use the Recruit option at the spirit master hall during daytime hours, there's a huge penalty to number of recruits at night.

The best Wonder to build in tier 3 settlements seems to be the "double the rate Belief/Hatred gathers here" one any time it's available. Settlement Belief is your main source of both Belief and Inspiration throughout the entire game.

Rule of thumb: Use only the "Charity" policy (but switch to "Disaster Relief" ASAP any time a disaster is active) until reaching 100k pop in a settlement (100k pop is the requirement for a tier 3 town hall). Look up a guide on how to respond to settlement events (here's one: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FuY6U9tubawNHpFmm-hkJMtnTL69QGrnuKcTaNyB3_8/edit#gid=428147397 ) in order to maximize your follower/population gain.

Sect Diplomacy
The first time you interact with a sect on the world map you "visit" them (aka gift them an item) - just give them 1 spirit stone or whatever, it doesn't matter.
After that, you can Trade with them and buy "access" (very bottom of the list) for 200 Spirit Stones. This will let you visit and enter maps in their region, including their sect base.
At their Sect Base you can click on their unique Furniture and "Observe" or "Gather Sample" to gain the ability to build it yourself. While you are there, you should also talk to their elders to determine what the leader's favorite items are.
Do NOT "Take" their main altar unless you really want to fight them. This will make them all hostile to you.

Sects will occasionally offer quests (item delivery or kill a target) via the "Tasks" menu of the world map.
Tasks that reward 50 rep are generally not worth it.
Tasks that award 200 rep and give Connections are worth it.

Connections are needed to trade for rare/valuable items with them. Valuable items will have a "Connections" cost in addition to whatever monetary cost.

Late game pro-tip: If you murder a sect leader, a new one takes their place. This is a great way to cycle through NPC sect leaders until you get one with 3/4 favorite items.

Economy/Trading
I’ll keep this short and sweet. The absolute best money-maker is fabric.

Plant a ton of cotton and set your loom to an endless loop of creating fabric. Use fabric as your primary currency in all trades. You can trade it 1:1 for Spirit Stones (the de-facto currency item) with any wandering traders that happen by.

Cotton translates to Fabric at a 1:5 rate which means that each unit of Cotton has a monetary value of 5 (after being refined into cloth) which is the highest return on time investment you can get.

Farming
Soil Fertility has a huge effect, plants can grow at up to 300% speed on Spirit Soil, so rerolling until you find a map with lots of spirit soil (or finding a good seed to use) is a large boon.
You unlock regular fields very early on and unlock a special "Herb Garden" field type after forming a sect.
Fields priority - these sizes are just suggestions and I tend to go a bit overboard on how much I build so feel free to mix and match - I don't suggest anything smaller than 25 tiles (5x5) though, just for volume of harvest.
Wheat - I try to build 3 5x5 Wheat fields early on and remove up to two of them as the game progresses and I get my settlements to rank 3. Try to put at least 1 5x5 field on Spirit Soil if you have enough.
Cotton - As much as you can, really. Don't waste Spirit Soil on it but add more Cotton fields whenever your outer disciples are sitting around idle. Cotton is money, friend. If you have any leftover spirit soil, cotton in spirit soil is a turbo ATM.
Ginkgo Tree - 5x5 - used for crafting some basic medicines and pills
Herb - 5x5 - used for crafting basic medicines
Lotus - if you have water, Lotus is a good supplemental money maker. Cotton is better but why not have both? Lotus is particularly good on the Plateau map type which has lots of Spirit Water to increase its growth speed. Lotus root is also a food.

Herb Fields
Spirit Leaf and Tranquility Grass both require high soil fertility to grow at all, so place them in your Spirit Soil. Ginseng and Lingzhi are both important as well as they're used in a wide variety of pills and more importantly occasionally give rare variants (Red Ginseng and Ganoderma) which increase a disciple's max qi when eaten (up to ~8 times each with diminishing returns).
(Note: Red Ginseng and Ganoderma are relatively low economic value and are easy to buy from merchants that have them. You don't need giant fields of this stuff by any means)
How much you need to grow depends on how much alchemy you want to do. FWIW in my current save I have ~85 tiles of both Spirit Leaf and Tranquility Grass all in spirit soil, which is more than I can use. A 5x5 square in Spirit Soil should be enough to get by.

You can build walls and a door around a field and then place heat-radiating items on a display table inside to keep them growing in the frozen depths of winter.

Temperature Control
Guide courtesy of Clark on the discord:
https://discordapp.com/channels/608499065071861761/608499065071861764/779234214506659850

Mysteries
This is the “main quest” or storyline. I don’t know anything about it and I’m not very interested in it personally so if anyone else wants to write something up please do and I’ll include it!
Here's the guide by Kurt on the Discord: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Bso2z4o_u70Sh5d3Gq5YSiwwX4tI0ppDf2o6mpRlj7I/edit

Giant Monsters (dragons and phoenix)
Coming soon…

Sentient Spirits/Illuminated Objects
The short version is you can turn these items into cultivators that are particularly good at certain things. This is another absurdly complex deep dive mechanic that's best explained by this guide courtesy of Kurt on the discord
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iov58OHOVeFUF1E-Q6-BKPwNyy5vLwQJtzqNycEbKAo/edit

Temporary guide to Feng Shui
Amazing Cultivation Simulator has a rather erudite Feng Shui system that initially causes many players (myself included) to bounce off the game, but I want to stress right now that you do not need to deep dive into feng shui unless you want to. I'm going to list some very basic rules of Feng Shui below and as long as you follow these rules, you'll be fine. Higher Feng Shui rankings will give you a bonus on nearly everything you do, but this is a system you can ignore for as long as you want and pick up at any time.

if you want to take a deep dive into Feng Shui take a look at my posts in this thread over the first 5-6 pages where I spent way too much of my IRL lifespan diving into how it works, drawing diagrams, explaining the rules for doors, etc.
If you just want an effective sect and don't care about maximizing Feng Shui, follow the rules below. Note that these rules are provided for the sake of simplicity and that if you want to deep-dive into Feng Shui you do not have to follow them exactly. So if they feel restrictive, just know that you can dive into the system to make them less restrictive.

1) There are 5 elements, every element "feeds" one element and "suppresses" a different element. There's an element wheel you can bring up at any time in-game that shows their relationships.
e.g. - Wood feeds Fire, and suppressses Earth. Fire feeds Stone, but suppresses metal.

2) You want to build your "Feng Shui Objects", aka Focuses (workshops, dining tables, beds - anything listed as a Feng Shui object) out of one element and build the room's decorations out of the element that feeds the Focus' element.

3) The easiest way to do this is to build everything out of Iron and surround it by Stone rooms/decorations. The only times you need your Focuses to be of a specific element are for cultivation purposes and for alchemy furnaces

4) Different room types have a preferred side for the door. If you don't want to deep dive into Feng Shui, I recommend building every room as an individual, standalone building with only one door. If you want to deep dive into Feng Shui and learn how to use multiple doors or interconnected rooms, see my posts within pages 2-5 - particularly this one about doors
Bedrooms prefer a door on the south.
Workshops prefer a door on the East.
Kitchens prefer a door on the west.
Most other rooms have no preference and can have their door on any side.

5) That's it really! Following steps 3 and 4 above will give you good enough Feng Shui to ignore the Feng Shui system if you want.

Blueprints
All of the following blueprints are entirely Very Auspicious or close enough to it to count and should all be easily built with starting materials.
MAJOR PRO TIP: I STRONGLY RECOMMEND NOT USING THESE AS YOUR FIRST BUILDINGS AS A BRAND NEW PLAYER!!! Having excellent Feng Shui early on will raise your Sect Reputation which will lead to stronger enemies attacking you which can be very hard to deal with if you're not prepared. I would recommend building simpler less efficient buildings and switching to these a few game-months in when you have a decent inner disciple.

Short on Materials? Explore at Ruins of Taiyi Sect, leav the map and come back if there are no stacks of what you need over 200. If you don't have Ruins of Taiyi unlocked, Explore at Mt. Fullmoon and interact with the gate in the bottom right.
Still short on Iron? Explore at Mt. Coppertomb to find 3 stacks of up to 300 iron ore (and a stack of up to 300 darksteel!) - re-load the map if they're under 200

Outer Disciples quick-base

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2275545607
Note:This design is a bit outdated, I would suggest adding an external door (using an alcove) to the west side of the workshop and storing your materials out there

Inner Disciples quick-base

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2275606217
Bedroom, cultivation room, library, iron artifact/alchemy table (you'll eventually want to switch to other alchemy tables, see the next blueprint), talisman tables, living room, recreation

Omni-Directional Workshop

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2277985600
This is a basic workshop that inclues exterior doors for all 4 directions while maintaining Very Auspicious rating. Use this to have quick access to material stockpiles outside. Optionally delete whatever doors you don't need but leave the East one in-tact.

Extra Inner Disciple living space

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2277991367
Adds 4 bedrooms attached to a living/leisure room and 4 workshop tables, basically bulk living space for Inner Disciples

Cultivation Spot

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2277995198 - Single
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2277995991 - Group of 5 (pictured)
Pre-built cultivation cluster with spirit stone tables and pre-placed spirit wood. There's no malus for being outdoors or wherever so put this anywhere you want!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 14, 2020

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
This seems... intriguing... [Coughs up a mouthful of blood]

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Thank you, thank you for starting this thread. I'm fumbling my way around so far. I can manage the farming and stuff, but I don't grasp the magic system at all.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 29, 2020

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

:sickos:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Thank you, thank you for starting this thread. I'm fumbling my way around so far. I can manage the farming and stuff, but I don't grasp the magic system at all.

So, there are three different types of Cultivator. There's Standard (aka Qi), Body, and Divine.

Any of the starting Laws you can pick are Standard, as well as most laws you will find in-game. I'm only going to cover Standard here, Body is extremely complicated and confusing, and Divine is pretty straightforward but I don't know much about it.

What magic is available to you is based on what Law you chose for the disciple (or what other Laws you have transcribed into your manual shelf), and what Stage they are in the Law. Learning magic from any method requires Inspiration (experience which is passively gained all the time by cultivators and spent on skills). Every time you learn any skill you gain "Attainment", which makes all future skills more expensive. Learning skills from Laws with an opposing element gives extra Attainment, learning skills from similar Laws gives less Attainment (which is displayed when studying at the manual shelf). In general, you want to avoid high Attainment - enemy threats scale based on Attainment (I think - someone correct me if I'm wrong), and the cost of learning new skills starts to rise exponentially when it gets high. Also there are very few ways to lower it. So in general you want to avoid learning any skills or magic that won't be directly useful to you or that provide a small benefit attached to a large amount of Attainment, in order to keep Attainment as low as possible.

There are two ways to learn a skill:
You can learn a skill from your chosen Law by selecting the disciple, opening the Cultivation menu ('X' or click the yin yang symbol), then clicking the "Inspiration" button.

You can learn spells of any Law, or spells not specific to any law, through the use of Manuals. There are a few ways you can use Manuals, but the only way you should use them is by clicking them, choosing the Scribe option (requires a Manual Shelf, or multiple Manual Shelves) and having a disciple Scribe it into the Manual Shelf. This makes that skill available for any other disciple that meets the rank/inspiration requirements to learn via the Manual Shelf, by clicking the shelf and choosing "Study"

Beyond their passive skills, Standard Cultivators have two kinds of active magic.

Spells (confusingly also called "Battle Spells", "Combat Skills", and "Skills" in various places) are combat moves that are only available in combat and generally involve dealing direct damage to your target. The option to use them only shows up while in battle at which time you just need to click the icon to deal or heal the damage or whatever, they're pretty straightforward. An example of a spell that you can learn early on is Innate Qi, which True Sun Refining disciples can get at their first stage (Qi Refining) and followers of other Laws can study from a manual shelf after True Sun Refining Law has been transcribed. It's a low cooldown nuke with low Qi cost. Note that Spells are generally fairly bad on any Disciple not focused on them, but for Disciples that do focus on them (e.g. True Sun Refining or anyone learning lots of skills that increase Spell Power) they are very powerful and you do want to learn them.

Miracles are the out-of-combat spells that control the weather, interact with corpses, buff outer disciples, create psychic vampire links between Outer/Inner disciples, etc. These are all over the place in nearly every Law, and can also be learned from a manual shelf after being transcribed.

Miracles have a Qi cost, but sometimes additionally cost items or Lifespan. Don't worry too much about spending Lifespan to cast miracles - it's relatively easy to build up thousands of years of Lifespan and casting Miracles is the only real use for it. Miracles can only be cast while on your Sect map.

Miracles can get pretty complicated because they do all kinds of things, many are useful, many are not, but some desirable/useful Miracles are:
Meditation - lets you meditate which burns Stamina and Lifespan to gain Max Qi, which is helpful any time you want an Inner Disciple to be dormant for a while, or that needs to burn off some stamina or who will be idle otherwise. Max Qi is one of your most important stats on any Standard Cultivator

Specter Refinement - consumes an Anguish Soul Gem to attempt to upgrade the tier of an item by one. This is a lot of the late-mid-game grind, upgrading items and elixirs to Tier 12 before consuming them allows for Massive Gains and is the only feasible way to accomplish certain things.

Soul Chant - use it on a dying character to kill them and capture their soul in a Soul Gem, one of the primary ways of getting Anguish Soul Gems yourself.

Weather control miracles (Chant of Cloud Dispelling, Rainstorm, Foehn Wind, Dust Devil, Thunderstorm) - since later Breakthroughs need all the help they can get, these let you set the weather to whatever is best for the Law that's breaking through.

Derivative Calculation - Spawns a Secret event on the world map that you can adventure with the right character to get treasure. This is one of the cases where high Attainment is desirable - Derivative Calculation costs 10 lifespan each time you cast it and the success chance is based on your Attainment.

Incantation of Consonance - lets you convert knocked out enemies and make them join you if you feel like micromanaging checking all of their stats for good recruits

Reconstruction - heals all of a target's damaged or lost limbs which is going to be a necessity at some point

Spiritual Breath Chant - lets you restore Qi on your Sect map fairly quickly without using up consumables

I hope that help make sense of it, it's hard to write general guides for this game because everything is very interwoven with everything else so feel free to ask any questions you have!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 29, 2020

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I got caught trying to steal an artifact from a rival sect and as punishment they blasted my Golden Core's leg off. And her character model actually got one of its legs replaced with a little peg leg

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
Thank you for starting the thread. Game good! Spirit doggo also good.

I also love how you initially get attacked by unsettled elders from other sects.

Also also, if you haven't look at the let's play linked in the OP, do yourself a favour and have a look at it. :sun:

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I did my first Golden Core but it turned out only Tier 6, I had all the ideal season requirements, except the weather since I didin't have any weather spells yet. It was wood law, so I had the breakthrough room stacked with ice crystal ore. Is that the best I could have gotten out of this? Is max Qi really important for the first golden core breakthrough?

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

I did my first Golden Core but it turned out only Tier 6, I had all the ideal season requirements, except the weather since I didin't have any weather spells yet. It was wood law, so I had the breakthrough room stacked with ice crystal ore. Is that the best I could have gotten out of this? Is max Qi really important for the first golden core breakthrough?

Probably not the best, but you need your first golden core to do only a couple of things: get the weather spells to increase GC scores for subsequent cultivators, and raise stat spells to increase the stats for subsequent cultivators. Then you can build a grade 1 GC and reincarnate your first guy. Using weather spells and stat boosts and he can get grade 1 easy.

My first golden core in my first game I got to grade 2. Make sure you are building a cultivation room with Qi-gathering items that boost your law (so use a bunch of spirit wood for fire cultivators) in a grid around him. Spirit wood has Qi-gathering 4, and that includes the space it is sitting in, so you can build a line of storage tables (or whatever they are called in the “life” build tab) three squares away from him in all directions, and that will greatly boost your breakthrough score.

See Nyaa’s LP for pictures on what it looks like.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
First Golden Core are usually throwaway to support the sect. They can break core later to start over if they are worth keeping.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Alamoduh posted:

My first golden core in my first game I got to grade 2. Make sure you are building a cultivation room with Qi-gathering items that boost your law (so use a bunch of spirit wood for fire cultivators) in a grid around him. Spirit wood has Qi-gathering 4, and that includes the space it is sitting in, so you can build a line of storage tables (or whatever they are called in the “life” build tab) three squares away from him in all directions, and that will greatly boost your breakthrough score.

I tried to do the room design from the slightly outdated guide in the OP, where it's a diamond of stands around the cusion, and the outer edge is filled with spiritwood, and the inner with Qi gathering material of your feed element. Problem is, I'm not quite sure what the good Qi gathering materials for each element are. I put my wood guy in a room with ice crystal bars, because that's pretty much the only water-element item I have at this point, aside from I guess water buckets and pills.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

grate deceiver posted:

I tried to do the room design from the slightly outdated guide in the OP, where it's a diamond of stands around the cusion, and the outer edge is filled with spiritwood, and the inner with Qi gathering material of your feed element. Problem is, I'm not quite sure what the good Qi gathering materials for each element are. I put my wood guy in a room with ice crystal bars, because that's pretty much the only water-element item I have at this point, aside from I guess water buckets and pills.

You can tell whether a given item is a Qi gathering material by mousing over it and checking the "Gather Qi" line in its description.

Ice crystal bars have a "Gather Qi" of "None", so they don't help you gather Qi at all:

The Water Qi-gathering items in the game are:

(a) Ice Essence Bars, which have a Qi gathering range of 3 (i.e. you can place them up to 2 squares away from the meditation cushion).
To get Ice Essence bars, you need to smelt them at the Smelter station using 99 Ice Ores and 1 Demon Blood (obtained from killing Demon Beasts).

(b) Prism Lotus, which have a stronger Qi gathering strength than Ice Essence Bars, but a lower Qi gathering range of 2 (i.e. you need to place them right next to the meditation cushion to have an effect).
To get Prism Lotus, you need to buy them from the travelling merchant or sect merchants, or find them through sending your Inner disciples to certain locations on the world map.

(c) [REDACTED] (high-end stuff that you get from fighting certain boss-tier monsters much later in the game).

Catpetter1981 fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 29, 2020

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Maximum Qi when starting the Golden Core breakthrough is a big component of what tier you end up at, you want to pump someone's Max Qi as high as possible before starting the breakthrough. You can gain a lot of Qi through learning all of the Max Qi skills from a manual shelf. On top of that you can eat a Ganoderma or two, a Red Ginseng or two, and any pill you can get your hands on that increases Max Qi. You can also increase it via Meditation if you have time. I think you need around 15k to get T1 in most cases but if you can hit 17k+ then you'll be much more comfortable.
Also, after you hit T1 in the breakthrough process the bar keeps filling until you either issue a Stop command or they run out of Qi - higher score means more max Qi as a GC so the higher you can push your max qi before starting, the more you'll end up with when you're done.

If you like taking risks, any "Junk Pills" you find when entering other maps have a chance to be a +2k Max Qi pill. If you're not on Immortal you can savescum before eating them to be safe. These can also just straight up kill the person eating them so be careful!

The breakthrough works by having the cultivator push through each tier at a speed controlled by their cultivation speed (so all of the bonuses you see from element, qi density, season, weather, etc) but they will breakthrough at that speed until they run out of qi.

But like Nyaa said, you don't need to worry about about T1 for your first GC. There's a lot of things you unlock by ranking up quickly so I find it best to rush my first disciple up to GC and then put effort into the others.

E: re: the above, this is what makes True Sun and Grand Chariot good starter laws - the elements they need to gather from both have easily available Qi Gathering materials. True Sun needs wood, so you can just use spiritwood for everything. Grand Chariot needs Stone so you can use Stone Essences and Jadeite

Pro Tip for Fire/Ice cultivation rooms: Build them side-by-side with a hallway connecting them like shown here to make the temperatures equalize and not need special temperature tolerance gear to cultivate in them

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 29, 2020

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

NOTE: the official English translation is due for full release at the end of November, but it's available through the Steam beta program now by entering the Beta code gsqenglishtest

This is what I've been waiting for. How far along is this beta? Are we talking "basically done but needs to clear acceptance testing" or more "there's still real work to do on it"?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

This is what I've been waiting for. How far along is this beta? Are we talking "basically done but needs to clear acceptance testing" or more "there's still real work to do on it"?

Basically done. There was a small update recently that broke a few buttons and reverted some text to chinese, but as far as I can tell it's pretty much complete and they're just doing some polishing.

Thanks, so kinda looks like I should have picked the fire guy for the first golden core, there's no way in hell I can get that many ice crystal ores at this stage. Is there a list somewhere with qi gathering mats for each element?

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

How do I build settlements?
You need to reach 2000 Sect Reputation, then your first settlement has to be built on the mountain right next to your base. Once you earn Influence from that settlement, you can use it to build others.

The first outpost is triggered by an event you get during year 1, you don't have to get rep 2000. Not sure if this was different in the past, I just started playing in October.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

The easiest element to set up a great cultivation chamber for is absolutely Metal, given it can be fed via earth qi.

The most basic source of earth qi is Stone Essences and you will get dozens of them from mining out your map.

Next is Jadite, this is fairly rare to get from mining but there are a handful of exploration locations that contain stacks of a hundred or more of it.

But, uniquely for Earth? There is Dragon Feces. Once you find the Wyvern Pool location on the map send two cultivators who are each carrying a piece of feces and stand them before the stele not far from the map entrance point. Have each of them eat the feces then interact with the stele and they will be teleported to an otherwise inaccessible location. There you will find eight dragon feces and two related treasures, how you are supposed to work this out without being spoiled? I have no idea, but each has 90 qi gathering and so this allows you to set up an excellent metal cultivation chamber. If a fragrant one.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they have to eat dragon feces or regular?

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Regular is fine, eating dragon feces would be a huge waste and a hell of a lot harder to find. This is something you can do as soon as you find the location which is in... I forget the name, the sect immediately to the north east of your starting location.

Weebus
Feb 26, 2017
What's the difference between crafting and artisanry? I have an outer with 12 crafting (no stars) and 90 artisanry with 2 stars. Would he make a good crafter?

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Crafting affects the speed of 'crafting' jobs, while artisanry affects the quality of the item produced. Most goods produced by 'crafting' don't have a quality rating, like lumber and flour. I think it will improve the quality of tools for outers at the handcrafting bench, pretty sure those fall under crafting. High artisanry is more important for smithing and tailoring, getting to quality 100 is important for those items.

If you forge a weapon of quality 100, the tier of the base material increases. Since tier is important for artifact crafting you can use this to get high tier artifacts from more common materials.

E: I got it in my head somehow that smithing and tailoring were different skills, but they all use crafting. You want a high crafting and artisanry skills to make the best items.

Sokani fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 30, 2020

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
How do you gain/find new laws?

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
You can win the yearly Kunlun competition to get one, but it comes with a large sect reputation bonus that can really mess you up if you aren't ready for it (raids scale with sect rep). Another source is the 'Immortal's Mandate' secret that can appear, which will grant a law if you send a candidate with stats that match it. It sticks around for awhile even if you fail, so you can send everyone to try. The skill 'Derivative Calculation' spends lifespan to gain secrets, so the usual way to pick up new laws is to spam cast it until you get a mandate, then hope someone matches enough.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

How do I figure out what the better clothing is?

e: Also, how do I send my cultivators to investigate Secrets?

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 30, 2020

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
The tier of the material used and the skill of the crafter will determine the quality. You can right click on the work order to choose which material to use when crafting. Qi beasts and some other creatures drop higher tier cloth, and there's some other sources of high level clothes.

To investigate the secret, open the map and go to the 'secret' tab in the bottom right. Clicking the secret will select the area it is present in. Send an adventure to that territory and they will get a prompt to investigate the secret. Looks like the translation on that screen is broken, but if you mouse over the options the tooltip is in English.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

like grate deceiver mentioned the most recent couple patches have had a few annoying side effects for the translation:
1) Buttons on the world map are no longer translated, but there are only 4 of them so it's not too hard to figure out what they do. (Clockwise starting from the top right: Gift, Trade, Adventure, Camp) and there's a 5th larger button for "Enter" - see the end of this post for more info about those buttons
2) The Blueprints tab of the build menu doesn't work so everything has to be built by hand
3) There are occasional pieces of text that aren't translated yet but they're no impact, nothing that will get in your way of playing

Sokani posted:

The first outpost is triggered by an event you get during year 1, you don't have to get rep 2000. Not sure if this was different in the past, I just started playing in October.

Thank you! I was getting the 2000 rep requirement confused with Branches, you're right and I think it has always been this way

Arsenic Lupin posted:

How do I figure out what the better clothing is?

e: Also, how do I send my cultivators to investigate Secrets?

It depends what the criteria for better is, but clothes dont have any kind of armor or defensive stats, so there are really only two stats that matter:
Quality - your Inner Disciples will get sad if they have clothes with low Quality
Temperature Tolerance -Adjustments to the max or minimum temperature that a character can tolerate or that they can prefer.

The easiest solution is just to make some clothes of any type out of magical hides from a Fei, Lushan, or Demon Beast - clothes made out of those hides will make your character more tolerant of both hot and cold. Butchering any slain beast will give you the right hides.

For secrets when you open the world map and click Secrets then choose a secret, you'll see a popup for adventuring at the location. The recent patch broke the translation in this popup but essentially there are 5 buttons in it - 1 on the left, 2 in the middle and 2 on the right. They're laid out like this:

Enter | Camp | Gift
Enter | Adventure | Trade

You just need to choose Camp or Adventure to investigate the secret. If it's a secret that says it requires entering the map, you need to Camp or Adventure then click on the location while your disciple is there and click Enter. If it doesn't say it requires entering the map, it will complete just by camping or adventuring.

Camping is a long term thing that makes the disciple stay at the location and gives you an Adventure event every few days. Adventure is like a single adventure there and back, though you can choose to repeat it any number of times. So Camping is like the "I want to leave a disciple at this place and then forget about them for a while as they earn me materials" and adventuring is better for secrets in most cases.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Quornes posted:

How do you gain/find new laws?

If you only have the starting law, you can get the other 4 basic laws by adventuring at Ruins of Taiyi. If you don't have it on the map, it becomes available by event sometime in the summer. You can get it sooner by exploring.

My tips:
-Lots of the maps have large stacks of resources you can get from camping at the site and entering. Items are pre-set, but the size of each stack will re-roll each time you enter. Be sure to only take the biggest stacks with you and leave the smaller ones for later.
-Ruins of Taiyi has some fat stacks of basic resources on it and is a huge boon to your starting colony.
-Under the 'sect' tab is the manual shelf. Build a few of these and select 'transcribe->law' to copy skills from known laws to the bookshelf. Inners can study skills from outside their own law from these bookshelves, which is critical for stacking max qi bonuses in prep for gold core.
-The max game speed is 3x by default. This can be adjusted up to 10x in the settings. It still runs smooth even with a full sect at 10x speed.
-Characters have some icons in the bottom left:

Right clicking the sword makes them finish off enemies downed in combat automatically, so they don't get back up and steal your nice things.
The hand icon next to it cancels the current task. Use this to wake sleeping doctors so they'll give care, or make a cultivator cast the spell you just selected without waiting for the current job to finish. This is as close as you can get to Rimworld's right click->do functionality.
-The health tab has this hard-to-see arrow on it which shows your resistance to medicines. Never waste an earth flux again!

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
What do you mean by exploring exactly? I can see only the option to visit set sites

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

As someone who has read way too many of variable quality wuxia/Xianxia webcomics this seems like something I'd be entertained by.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

grate deceiver posted:

Basically done. There was a small update recently that broke a few buttons and reverted some text to chinese, but as far as I can tell it's pretty much complete and they're just doing some polishing.

Thanks, so kinda looks like I should have picked the fire guy for the first golden core, there's no way in hell I can get that many ice crystal ores at this stage. Is there a list somewhere with qi gathering mats for each element?

I have set out a list below. Let me know if you also want some tips on where to find these materials or if you prefer to explore for yourself in-game.

Gold-element Qi-gathering materials (support and feed Water laws)

1. Sage Fruit
Qi-Gathering Strength: 75
Qi-Gathering Range: 2 (i.e. needs to be placed immediately above, below, left or right of the meditation cushion)

2. Lumina Core Ore
Strength: 35
Range: 3 (i.e. can be placed 2 squares away from the meditation cushion, including the diagonal squares adjacent to the meditation cushion)

3. Lumina Core Bar (i.e. the smelted version of Lumina Core Ore)
Strength: 30
Range: 3

4. Samsara Pill
Strength: 90
Range: 2

Wood-element Qi-gathering materials (support and feed Fire laws)

1. Gnarled Vine
Strength: 75

2. Phoenix Wood

3. Parasol Timber (the cut form of Phoenix Wood

4. Spirit Wood
Strength: 20
Range: 4 (i.e. can be placed up to 3 squares away from the meditation cushion)
Note: Qi-gathering materials with range 4 and above can be used in any element's meditation and breakthrough room set-ups. This is because when they are placed 3 squares away from the meditation cushion, they will contribute their Qi-gathering strength to the cushion without affecting the feng shui of the cushion

5. Spirit Timber (the cut form of Spirit Wood)
Strength: 15
Range: 4

6. Huge Ancient Gingko Tree (i.e. those giant glowing trees on your map)
Strength: 40
Range: 5

Water-element Qi-gathering materials (support and feed Wood laws)
Note: All these materials generate cold in their vicinity, and you need to ensure that your cultivator has sufficient low-temperature tolerance to survive being surrounded by these materials

1. Prism Lotus

2. Soul Pearl
Strength: 45

3. Ice Essence Barsl

4. Flood Dragon's Defiant Scale
Strength: 200 (this is not a typo)

5. Flood Dragon's Heavenly Horn
Strength: 150 (also not a typo)

6. Flood Dragon's Heaven-Breaking Tendon

7. Flood Dragon's Asura Talon
Strength: 50

8. Flood Dragon's Scale

9. Molted Dragon Scale

Fire-element Qi-gathering materials (support and feed Earth laws)
Note: All these materials generate heat in their vicinity, and you need to ensure that your cultivator has sufficient high-temperature tolerance to survive being surrounded by these materials

1. Crimson Fruit

2. Fire Essence Bar

3. Phoenix's True Fiery Jade

4. Phoenix's Heaven-Scorching Feather

5. Phoenix's Heaven-Concealing Feather

6. Phoenix's Firm-Sky Bone

7. Phoenix's Adamant Feather

8. Blazing Fiery Feather

Earth-element Qi-gathering materials (support and feed Metal laws)

1. Ocher Essence

2. Holy Stone

3. Holy Stone Brick (i.e. the cut form of Holy Stone)

4. Divine Jade

5. Jadeite
Strength: 25

6. Stone Essence

7. Dragon Feces

8. Eureka Pill

Null-element Qi-gathering materials (support and feed any laws without influencing the meditation cushion's feng shui)

1. Torch Dragon's Chaotic Jade

2. Torch Dragon's Heavenly Scale

3. Torch Dragon's Crystallised Yin-Yang Essence

4. Torch Dragon's Utter-Black Scale

5. Torch Dragon's Pristine-White Scale

6. Immortal's Moult (you get this when one of your Inner Disciples reaches the peak of cultivation and ascends to immortality)
Range: 9 (This is not a typo)

Catpetter1981 fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 30, 2020

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
How is one supposed to survive a Shapeshifting Heavenly Tribulation? I have a disciple that is getting hit with it on day 22. A fire aspected room helped a bit, and i got protection up to 5, but i could only make a very low quality/tier stone sword artifact to help them.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quornes posted:

How is one supposed to survive a Shapeshifting Heavenly Tribulation? I have a disciple that is getting hit with it on day 22. A fire aspected room helped a bit, and i got protection up to 5, but i could only make a very low quality/tier stone sword artifact to help them.

A Shapeshifting Heavenly Tribulation is five consecutive Heavenly Tribulations of 60,000 Qi each (all five elements one after another), for a total of 300,000 Qi.

Realistically speaking, at the beginning of the game you simply do not have the resources to cultivate your disciple into being buff enough within 22 days to survive a 300,000 Qi attack.

Your only option is to send your disciple exploring on the world map (during which time the tribulation count-down timer is paused) and amass resources (e.g. additional Laws with Qi-boosting techniques, Qi-buffing pills, Qi-tanking accessories, and so on) until you get to the point where you have enough resources to feed to your disciple to get him or her through the Tribulation.

Later on, when your sect is rich and stocked with goodies, you will be able to raise any disciple to Grade 1 Golden Core and then to Nascent Soul within a week or so, which will be easily sufficient to survive a Tribulation of 300,000 Qi .

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Catpetter1981 posted:

I have set out a list below. Let me know if you also want some tips on where to find these materials or if you prefer to explore for yourself in-game.

Gold-element Qi-gathering materials (support and feed Water laws)

1. Sage Fruit
Qi-Gathering Strength: 75
Qi-Gathering Range: 2 (i.e. needs to be placed immediately above, below, left or right of the meditation cushion)

2. Lumina Core Ore
Range: 3 (i.e. can be placed 2 squares away from the meditation cushion, including the diagonal squares adjacent to the meditation cushion)

3. Lumina Core Bar (i.e. the smelted version of Lumina Core Ore)

4. Samsara Pill

Wood-element Qi-gathering materials (support and feed Fire laws)

1. Gnarled Vine

2. Phoenix Wood

3. Parasol Timber (the cut form of Phoenix Wood

4. Spirit Wood
Range: 4 (i.e. can be placed up to 3 squares away from the meditation cushion)
Note: Qi-gathering materials with range 4 and above can be used in any element's meditation and breakthrough room set-ups. This is because when they are placed 3 squares away from the meditation cushion, they will contribute their Qi-gathering strength to the cushion without affecting the feng shui of the cushion

5. Spirit Timber (the cut form of Spirit Wood)
Strength: 15

6. Huge Ancient Gingko Tree (i.e. those giant glowing trees on your map)
Strength: 40

Water-element Qi-gathering materials (support and feed Wood laws)
Note: All these materials generate cold in their vicinity, and you need to ensure that your cultivator has sufficient low-temperature tolerance to survive being surrounded by these materials

1. Prism Lotus

2. Soul Pearl
Strength: 45

3. Ice Essence Barsl

4. Flood Dragon's Defiant Scale

5. Flood Dragon's Heavenly Horn

6. Flood Dragon's Heaven-Breaking Tendon

7. Flood Dragon's Asura Talon

8. Flood Dragon's Scale

9. Molted Dragon Scale

Fire-element Qi-gathering materials (support and feed Earth laws)
Note: All these materials generate heat in their vicinity, and you need to ensure that your cultivator has sufficient high-temperature tolerance to survive being surrounded by these materials

1. Crimson Fruit

2. Fire Essence Bar

3. Phoenix's True Fiery Jade

4. Phoenix's Heaven-Scorching Feather

5. Phoenix's Heaven-Concealing Feather

6. Phoenix's Firm-Sky Bone

7. Phoenix's Adamant Feather

8. Blazing Fiery Feather

Earth-element Qi-gathering materials (support and feed Metal laws)

1. Ocher Essence

2. Holy Stone

3. Holy Stone Brick (i.e. the cut form of Holy Stone)

4. Divine Jade

5. Jadeite
Strength: 25

6. Stone Essence

7. Dragon Feces

8. Eureka Pill

Null-element Qi-gathering materials (support and feed any laws without influencing the meditation cushion's feng shui)

1. Torch Dragon's Chaotic Jade

2. Torch Dragon's Heavenly Scale

3. Torch Dragon's Crystallised Yin-Yang Essence

4. Torch Dragon's Utter-Black Scale

5. Torch Dragon's Pristine-White Scale

6. Immortal's Moult (you get this when one of your Inner Disciples reaches the peak of cultivation and ascends to immortality)
Range: 9 (This is not a typo)

:nice:

Also, make sure to actively check heat/cold effects for fire/water elements, since e.g. soul pearls cool things down so rapidly that you might otherwise kill somebody (two soul pearls side by side in winter got me to something like -200 degrees, and a single one keeps my freezer at a stout -95 in winter).

Weebus
Feb 26, 2017
Another way to fend off early game shapeshifting tribulations is to turn the yaoguai into body cultivators. After around 40 days of training they'll be taking apart the tribulations in two punches while shrugging off lightning bolts.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Quornes posted:

What do you mean by exploring exactly? I can see only the option to visit set sites

Send a disciple to Camp at a site. This will send them to the site long term.

Once a disciple is present, select 'enter'. Your disciple will be on the map. You can use hotkey 'v' to give them movement commands.

Mt. Fullmoon has an interactable object you can find by exploring its map. 'Exploring' is not a game command, I mean you have to walk your disciple around to reveal the map. If you interact with this object then the Ruins of Taiyi location becomes available immediately.

See the '100%' signifier in the bottom right? It's easy to miss. If this value is less than 100%, then there may be unexplored locations nearby. Sending disciples to adventure will fill this percentage and uncover new set sites for you to visit.

Sokani fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 30, 2020

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
What is/how does Refinement Qi work?

Since Inner Disciples can't make clothes/weapons, am I supposed to keep any Outer ones with high craft skills from advancing so they can turn out high quality items?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You basically cultivate at a breakthrough point to build up your inner furnace. Ignore it until you are doing post-game stuff. It needs several high-end items that also take a ton of time to get any real use out of and you still have to wait like two months to fill it.

You just keep your Outers from training/promotions and have them do most of the actual work. Your Inners can create weapons/items and refine them, but you need the right laws for higher quality stuff.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

While you do want Outers to do work, there are reasons to Promote some with high crafting skills. Namely that Artisanry feeds in to Alchemy and Artifact Crafting and I believe some other skills do as well. So your dedicated alchemy/artifact crafters should be promoted craftsmen using the apropriate laws (e.g. Myriad Artifact Law for an artifact crafter)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I am definitely going to wait the full english translation before getting in because this seems like some Definitely Good Stuff