Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

team overhead smash posted:

Anyway, in other Cradle talk I'm assuming that it's pretty clear that when he ascends Lindon will be a notable figure because he'll tie into Ozriel somehow. I'm presuming that Ozriel is the founder of the Aurelius clan based on Eithan's Abidan bead and that as Lindon has their ancient training technique and is THE END that he'll ascend in a similar manner to whatever Ozriel did that granted him the unique powers he had that kept the Abidan going.

Ozriel is confirmed as the First Patriarch of the Arelius family. We don't know what his Path used to be, though what I find interesting is that Ozriel's marble is a void. Under normal circumstances I'd say that Wight is setting up Lindon to be the next Reaper since he can manifest an Icon that would probably let him end diseased Iterations cleanly without Ozriel's Scythe but given how he's subverted expectations with Wintersteel, who knows? The metaplot was to shake up how the Abidan do things and subdue the Vroshir. I think I'd be disappointed if I didn't see Eithan and Ozriel interact though I don't know the universe can handle that much smugness in one scene, let alone an entire book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Captain Monkey posted:

Yes Lindon is Ozriel in disguise. The book never explicitly mentions this isn’t the case, ergo it must be true. I just said that.
Bullshit. Everyone knows that Eithan is actually Ozriel reborn, classic reincarnator cultivation story. Cradle only looks like it's focused on Lindon at first glance, much like Zuko in ATLA, Eithan is the true protagonist of the series, Lindon will eventually drop out of the progression rat race to join Malice's harem and furthermore

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Cicero posted:

Bullshit. Everyone knows that Eithan is actually Ozriel reborn, classic reincarnator cultivation story. Cradle only looks like it's focused on Lindon at first glance, much like Zuko in ATLA, Eithan is the true protagonist of the series, Lindon will eventually drop out of the progression rat race to join Malice's harem and furthermore
Eithan is Wight's SI. You're reading an isekai.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Cicero posted:

Hm.. this is also neither mentioned nor hinted at in the book in any way and is actively suggested against in a myriad of ways. Making it 100% true per Aargh’s standard of Cradle reviewership.

Much to consider.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Haha you're all hilarious.

I stand by my theories. Sage yes, Underlord no, something else maybe.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Cicero posted:

Malice's harem

I can't have been the only one thinking that might be the favor Malice ends up requesting from Eithan in exchange for allowing him to be paid off by Reigan Shen to throw his match.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Your theories are bad, and you should feel bad

Leng posted:

I can't have been the only one thinking that might be the favor Malice ends up requesting from Eithan in exchange for allowing him to be paid off by Reigan Shen to throw his match.
What, Eithan being getting her preggers? Hmm, now that you mention it...she might be thirsty for that bloodline power. I guess it wouldn't be out of character; she's spends a ton of time on 'romance', she's very much Family Uber Alles, and there's no denying that it's a powerful bloodline. Sure, why not?

Well, except that Will has kept the series practically sexless so far. It would feel a bit out of character for the series to have this as a plot point imo.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Cicero posted:

Well, except that Will has kept the series practically sexless so far. It would feel a bit out of character for the series to have this as a plot point imo.

No reason for that to stop. It just takes one sentence in an Eithan POV to reference it happened!

Though granted yeah, it's a Chekov's gun waiting to fire, so it should be more plot critical.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
All this cradle debate just reminds of when I read animorphs and pictured the hork bajir as the pig orc looking guys from star wars.

Imagine my surprise rereading it a decade later to find they were clearly described over and over as lizard people.

I wouldn't be surprised if at the beginning of next book Lindon sits down with some treasures and advances to overlord as simply as Eithan.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

It's going to be embarrassing when he tries and discovers he's already had his overlord revelation and he's crippled himself for life trying to advance without the natural treasures.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Oh neat, the sequel to The City and the Dungeon is out. The War Throughout the Dungeon by Matthew Schmidt. I liked the first one, which was a dungeon crawly litrpg heavily inspired by Mordor, that ancient shareware RPG.

I may have liked it mostly because of that inspiration? But it was readable and fun. Got me back into that game for a while. One day I'll finish it.
I'm reading the sequel now and it's hard not to think, "wow the writing is a lot worse than Cradle". Nothing has been so bad that it's made me shake my head so far, but it's hard not to shake the sensation of the writing feeling too basic on some level, like the voices not being different enough or not enough characterization or something. I think I can still power through it though.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 21, 2020

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
I read those books recently and liked the dungeon delving aspects.

There were a few things that bothered me and they seemed to get worse in the 2nd book so probably won't bother with the 3rd when it comes out.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

There been talking on the Cradle sub about how the gang's list of potential story opponents is rapidly diminishing as they're advancing. Eithan is an Archlord, Yerin is an Over-Herald, London will probably be an Over-Sage at the start of the next book. That puts those three at the Archlord level or equivalent, and like any good cultivation MC's they can generally punch up, above their weight class so to speak. That would only leave full Heralds, Sages, and Monarchs around as reasonable opponents for right now, and there aren't a ton of those around.

And then, once they each advance one more level to full Sage or Herald, they would probably need to be fighting Monarchs; at the end of Wintersteel, we know of seven Monarchs on Cradle, only one of them is hostile, and three are basically allied.

But, there is another option: people who have ascended.

Most of the story's discussion of ascended beings has been showing the Abidan up to stuff in different places, fighting chaos/the Vroshir, only a few times their current interference in Cradle. But with the Uncrowned tournament, they had Kiuran of the Hounds taking a more persistent and even sort of mundane role in the affairs of the planet. What if this is a harbinger of more to come, maybe a low level Vroshir or unaffiliated ascended coming to dink around on Cradle?

It's even kind of foreshadowed in a way in Unsouled: Suriel mentions that if she hadn't been there personally, the local Abidan would've taken care of Li Markuth eventually, but it would've been a while before they finally intervened:

quote:

[Imminent spatial violation,] her Presence reported. [Domination of local inhabitants by an outside power is predetermined to follow.]

Someone who had grown beyond this world was trying to return to Cradle, using outside power to set up their own fiefdom in this relatively simple plane of existence. That was a grade three violation, something that the local Sector Control Abidan would address, but they’d take their time about it. This level of crime was far beneath her notice, but both Ozriel and Makiel would have agreed it was worth stopping.
And then later in the Uncrowned tournament, Dross says:

quote:

[Whoever gets that won’t have an arrow,] Dross whispered. [They’ll have a target. Everyone in the world will be after them.]

Even if the heavens protect them from reprisal? Lindon asked.

[Heaven is a long way away. Humans are right here.]
Between those two things, ascended dudes coming to gently caress around before the Abidan catch word seems like a distinct possibility.

But wouldn't ascended beings be out of their weight class? Well, maybe. But when evaluating Kiuran, Northstrider thinks:

quote:

Northstrider turned his attention to the white-armored, rat-faced Hound looking down on them like they were all his subjects. He longed to punch this sniveling messenger out of reality, but that would only invite someone higher up on the food chain.
Northstrider could destroy this man. He could do it. He didn’t know if Kiuran would stay dead, but he was willing to put that to the test.
And that's a member of the Abidan with their famed armor. The lowest you can ascend unassisted is as a Sage, so there could definitely be unaffiliated people on the same levels of power as Sages/Heralds or Monarchs who could find themselves messing around on Cradle.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Started a re-read of cradle and ran I to this in soulsmith.

What kind of mad experiments were they up to in this Five Factions Alliance? Did Soulsmiths graft construct legs onto human beings? His mother would have called it a horrifying violation of conscience, and she would have hunted down anyone who dared to break such a taboo.

Funny considering what Lindon does in the next couple books.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Also funny considering what they're probably gonna do to his dad.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Yeah, also hope we get to see Jai Long advance to underlord at some point. Since his goldsign is part of his face I wonder how much he can actually alter it when reborn in soulfire.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
oh hell it's been so long since I thought about him I had forgotten his whole backstory. His goldsign is basically a huge snake-like mouth with jagged teeth, right?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Dr Subterfuge posted:

oh hell it's been so long since I thought about him I had forgotten his whole backstory. His goldsign is basically a huge snake-like mouth with jagged teeth, right?

Yeah. He wears a mask most of the time.

Xel
Jan 21, 2003

Just finished reading The New World on Royal Road and really enjoyed it except for the constant spelling errors but that's easily forgivable. Decent sci-fi litrpg with some cool concepts and most importantly the progression pacing is quite consistent even through the 40+ hours it took me to get from the beginning to latest chapter :aaa:

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Just finished the most recent book in the Respawn Series by Arthur Stone. I have a weird relationship with these books because I really like them and I know I shouldn’t.

Basically it’s a very Russian, extremely weird post-apocalyptic-afterlife-LitRPG where people with strange nicknames murder-hobo around an apocalyptic wasteland killing ever more disturbing and dangerous monsters with their bizarre superpowers while drinking too much and making fun of each other’s sexual proclivities.

It’s a really original setting (to me, anyway. I’m sure it rips off some Russian sci-fi I never read) with some interesting characters and an unusual motivation to go a-murderhoboin’ They have to consume parts of the deadly monsters they kill on a daily basis or they suffer and die

Seems that he gave the concept a shot previously in Styx: Humanhive which is the same setting, minus the RPG elements but adding an excellent cat.

Xel
Jan 21, 2003

Russian litrpg is great. I feel like I've learned a bunch of interesting russian cultural details from the various ones I've burned through.

Now starting Savage Divinity on The Royal Road - 1% in and 99 hours remaining to finish the book. Godspeed, me...

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xel posted:

Russian litrpg is great. I feel like I've learned a bunch of interesting russian cultural details from the various ones I've burned through.

Now starting Savage Divinity on The Royal Road - 1% in and 99 hours remaining to finish the book. Godspeed, me...

Dont bother, seriously. It's the only web novel I've read that actually gets worse writing as time goes on. like, not just 'I forgot what this story was about' but legitimately just getting lazy and phoning it in DBZ style, completely forgetting situation x already got resolved 30 chapters ago, etc. it's bad, op, and the sad part is it starts very strong so you will probably ignore me and keep going

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Xel posted:

unironically this sounds like right up my trash alley, please post recommendations

also I'm not the person that posts links usually but some random SF-adjacent stuff that's been rotting on my wishlist for ages is on sale on Amazon today:
Spaceman of Bohemia is $1.99
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HZFB6VO

Bird Box is $2.99
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FJ352U6

Xel
Jan 21, 2003

Russian litrpg "recommendations". I love reading the footnotes to explain russian cultural references.

https://www.amazon.com/Survival-Quest-Way-Shaman-LitRPG-ebook/dp/B00VQRW14E
This was one of the first litrpgs I ever read, don't remember much but I did finish the whole series.

https://www.amazon.com/More-Than-Game-Adventure-Fayroll-ebook/dp/B06VVFDXVN
This has a lot of dual story with the main character progressing a lot in real life along with in-game and managing conflicts between the two.

https://www.amazon.com/Re-Start-Level-Up-Book-LitRPG-ebook/dp/B07CKRMLJB
Unique story in that the main character isn't in a video game but instead gets a litrpg system in real life that help him overcome his trashy lifestyle.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Xel posted:

No! Please don't! Save yourself. Nothing worth reading lies on the path you have chosen. Would telling you it eventually turns into a harem stop you from hurting yourself?

Xel posted:

Just finished reading The New World on Royal Road and really enjoyed it except for the constant spelling errors but that's easily forgivable. Decent sci-fi litrpg with some cool concepts and most importantly the progression pacing is quite consistent even through the 40+ hours it took me to get from the beginning to latest chapter :aaa:

Here's another short sci-fi story on RR if you want: https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/22848/post-human. Not litrpg.

Xel
Jan 21, 2003

Appreciate the warnings for Savage Divinity. I will bail out at the first sign of trouble and have some backup options planned.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Savage Divinity had an interesting start but does turn into boring harem menagerie slice of life with a creep MC. I kept with it way too long due to sunk cost so just enjoy it for now but once it dips in quality don't expect it to pick back up.

I had dropped it for 6+ months and read the newest chapter a while back out of curiosity and it seemed like nothing happened in that time. Amazing.

Xel
Jan 21, 2003

Hmm yeah I'm actually already far enough into Savage Divinity to be disinterested (started skimming at the first sign of harem which was very early). Now to begin the hunt for the next book I can really obsess over.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
If you want to get in on the ground floor on some more psychotic Russians, this series is quite popular in Russia:

Raven’s Castle [The Raven Disciples Series] Book 1 by Andrey Vasilyev on RoyalRoad.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Alert, alert, Will Wight just gave a pretty glowing recommendation for Iron Prince, which in his words is apparently Lindon x Ender's Game.

https://www.willwight.com/a-blog-of-dubious-intent/you-should-read-iron-prince

I am super intrigued but have too much backlogged reading to tackle an 1100 page tome. Someone else please make the jump and let me know whether I should catapult this to the top of my reading list, right after I'm done with Rhythm of War.

EDIT: fixed the link to go to the actual blog article instead of the main blog.

vvv Thanks I think I'll probably leave this one for after my next Cradle re-read then.

Leng fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 12, 2020

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Leng posted:

Alert, alert, Will Wight just gave a pretty glowing recommendation for Iron Prince, which in his words is apparently Lindon x Ender's Game.

https://www.willwight.com/a-blog-of-dubious-intent

I am super intrigued but have too much backlogged reading to tackle an 1100 page tome. Someone else please make the jump and let me know whether I should catapult this to the top of my reading list, right after I'm done with Rhythm of War.

It was...ok. It is pretty by the numbers. Underprivileged kid gets his hogwarts letter is able to get the tech superpower that inducts him into the elite, goes to special school, is a target because he’s a muggle or whatever, there is a teacher who hates him so much for no reason that he takes absolutely indefensible actions that would have him ejected from campus in any reasonable society, but the kid succeeds because he has a super-special attribute that no-one has ever had before.

I found it tiresome, but it was long, free, and there’s a plague on.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's basically my review of everything I've read for the last year tbh.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

That's basically my review of everything I've read for the last year tbh.

Yeah, if my actual diet was like my book-diet since March I would have malnutrition but weigh 600lbs

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

navyjack posted:

It was...ok. It is pretty by the numbers. Underprivileged kid gets his hogwarts letter is able to get the tech superpower that inducts him into the elite, goes to special school, is a target because he’s a muggle or whatever, there is a teacher who hates him so much for no reason that he takes absolutely indefensible actions that would have him ejected from campus in any reasonable society, but the kid succeeds because he has a super-special attribute that no-one has ever had before.

I found it tiresome, but it was long, free, and there’s a plague on.

I felt like the hatred of his classmates was even harder to understand than the teacher. A litrpg take on ender's game is pretty much what I thought of it also, though with 100% less nude child wrestling. I've definitely read worse litrpg stuff, but cradle is better.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

M. Night Skymall posted:

I felt like the hatred of his classmates was even harder to understand than the teacher. A litrpg take on ender's game is pretty much what I thought of it also, though with 100% less nude child wrestling. I've definitely read worse litrpg stuff, but cradle is better.

Antagonist motivation is a definite weakness, there were several sort of answers thrown around but it is never feels clear. Which is kind of odd since motivations for the core protagonist and friends is fairly focused.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
I’m enjoying Iron Prince so far (only at 19%) but I need to rant for a second. I just read his school ceremony fight with Aria Laurent, and I’m just wondering... are the stats meaningless? Everyone is so surprised that he could even try to keep up as an E rank, but his actual stats are even lower than that and artificially boosted up from Low F rank. Even if she was taking it easy on him or whatever, how was she not just unreasonably stronger and faster than Rei? That fight was pretty shittily explained for me.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Silynt posted:

I’m enjoying Iron Prince so far (only at 19%) but I need to rant for a second. I just read his school ceremony fight with Aria Laurent, and I’m just wondering... are the stats meaningless? Everyone is so surprised that he could even try to keep up as an E rank, but his actual stats are even lower than that and artificially boosted up from Low F rank. Even if she was taking it easy on him or whatever, how was she not just unreasonably stronger and faster than Rei? That fight was pretty shittily explained for me.

That fight is never properly explained because the stats matter a lot more throughout the rest of the book. The best you get is "well she expected him to fall over and got caught off guard." It is emphasized that skill plays a significant factor beyond raw stats, but she's been training her whole life to fight so, yeah, makes no sense.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I just finished Murderhobo by ya boi D Krout. My brain hurts and I want my time back. That was some convoluted, badly paced, mish mash of systems that left me confused on what the hell was going on. There was a weird rear end sidekick, some bad filler characters that did their arc in under 5 pages, and other things. Do not read.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Virigoth posted:

I just finished Murderhobo by ya boi D Krout. My brain hurts and I want my time back. That was some convoluted, badly paced, mish mash of systems that left me confused on what the hell was going on. There was a weird rear end sidekick, some bad filler characters that did their arc in under 5 pages, and other things. Do not read.

Yeah, it’s Dakota Krout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Captain Monkey posted:

Yeah, it’s Dakota Krout.

I deserved that. Going to start iron princes and see what’s up with that story.