Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
im just annoyed my google account with my real name is now whats attached to youtubes

I had a seperate account... now everythings old is new agian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

hhhat posted:

im just annoyed my google account with my real name is now whats attached to youtubes

I had a seperate account... now everythings old is new agian

I believe you can merge the two accounts. I know I had to when I moved my GPM to YTM, but my old account was listed as a Brand Account for some reason so I don't know if that makes a difference. It did completely wreck my liked videos list and my favorites list when I merged them, so it might be worth to make a custom playlist with those videos before hand.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I just keep having to switch between accounts which is annoying. Couldn't find a way to merge the accounts, they're already linked I think so it's not like I have to sign in and out but it's still annoying.

Also the transfer didn't work all the way which blows. I did it a few times and I think it got some more of it but it's still a fraction of what I had in my library. I might just do it manually while I can.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
Just got the email about the Hangouts->Messages migration thing. However, mine doesn't seem to work, my Messages app doesn't give me any notification and it's stuck on the 'setting up' stage in chat integration. Anyone had luck doing this yet? Do I need to wait for them to update the Messages app and the email was just premature?

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Soysaucebeast posted:

I believe you can merge the two accounts. I know I had to when I moved my GPM to YTM, but my old account was listed as a Brand Account for some reason so I don't know if that makes a difference. It did completely wreck my liked videos list and my favorites list when I merged them, so it might be worth to make a custom playlist with those videos before hand.

yeah that's what I did. It basically kept my subscriptions but acted like I had never seen a youtube before. Took a while to click on enough things so it started remembering me

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Uncle Ivan posted:

Just got the email about the Hangouts->Messages migration thing. However, mine doesn't seem to work, my Messages app doesn't give me any notification and it's stuck on the 'setting up' stage in chat integration. Anyone had luck doing this yet? Do I need to wait for them to update the Messages app and the email was just premature?

Just disable SMS in hangouts and it should switch over to your default SMS app, which for me was Messages.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

What happens to the Hangouts in my gmail desktop browser window that I use to chat with people all day?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

FogHelmut posted:

What happens to the Hangouts in my gmail desktop browser window that I use to chat with people all day?
Google claims they'll have all Hangouts features implemented in the next few months in either Chat or Messages.

Signal offers a passable alternative if your friends are on Signal, though (and they should be).

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

Google claims they'll have all Hangouts features implemented in the next few months in either Chat or Messages.

Signal offers a passable alternative if your friends are on Signal, though (and they should be).

Most of us are on Telegram, but I still use Hangouts for others.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FogHelmut posted:

Most of us are on Telegram, but I still use Hangouts for others.

Telegram is poo poo for privacy/security. But I understand you need to be where your friends are.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

Telegram is poo poo for privacy/security. But I understand you need to be where your friends are.

They said it was the best when we signed up. We moved off of Whatsapp anyway.

Its really just because one guy is on an iPhone and wouldn't ruin his reputation by installing Hangouts - seriously, the other iPhone guy was fine with Hangouts.

Is Signal any good at group chat and sharing stupid images and securing text that would get you questioned at a Supreme Court nomination hearing in 20 years?

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

FogHelmut posted:

You can use messages.google.com.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FogHelmut posted:

They said it was the best when we signed up. We moved off of Whatsapp anyway.

Its really just because one guy is on an iPhone and wouldn't ruin his reputation by installing Hangouts - seriously, the other iPhone guy was fine with Hangouts.

Is Signal any good at group chat and sharing stupid images and securing text that would get you questioned at a Supreme Court nomination hearing in 20 years?

You can have group chats that auto-delete after a fixed amount of time. You can post stupid pictures. It also has end-to-end encryption, and it's open-source, unassociated with any of the big tech companies.

It isn't perfect, but it's better than most other options, and is oriented around security & privacy.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

But do any of these let you use SA smilies?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

McPhearson posted:

You can use messages.google.com.

So does that mean there's going to be no chat within the Gmail window?

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Hirayuki posted:

But do any of these let you use SA smilies?

I am still so mad that IPhone people can apparently import SA smilies into their emoticon libraries and Android people can't. I would use those drat things daily.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

FogHelmut posted:

So does that mean there's going to be no chat within the Gmail window?

No more chat within Gmail, but it looks like Google is rolling out a Fi specific version of Messages for Web: https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6188337?hl=en&ref_topic=6216184

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

McPhearson posted:

No more chat within Gmail, but it looks like Google is rolling out a Fi specific version of Messages for Web: https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6188337?hl=en&ref_topic=6216184

I have no idea why they want me to open a second tab and then they won't offer both texting and phone in the same web app

Fi started out so cool as a gmail plugin

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

So what about enterprise users? They get another Chrome browser window for chat to eat up more ram on their already poorly appointed company laptop?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Wow it's completely unprecedented that Google is out of touch with what vocal users like about their products and continues to refine them until they're unusable and then kills them for low engagement. I'm shocked I tell you, shocked.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Hm, nice, google will let you transition your financed 4a to their new subscription thing, and count payments you already made toward it.

Seems like a no loss situation if you plan on staying with Fi.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

lmao 5g

I will never need this speed, just give me better reception areas and indoors.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

lmao 5g

That's pretty much close to what I get at home on wifi..Jesus...

I'll never use it since I don't go anywhere anymore. But still.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

That's pretty much close to what I get at home on wifi..Jesus...

I'll never use it since I don't go anywhere anymore. But still.

You very well may use it (5g) even if you don't go anywhere. It doesn't make economic sense to continue these fiber rollouts a-al Fios, no matter how much better they actually are (reliability wise) when you have an alternative this cheap that puts up the same numbers.

Expect a lot of consumer residential fixed wireless coming your way. And I'm talking triple play kinda stuff, not just internet.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

FogHelmut posted:

lmao 5g

I don't understand how this is a selling point for Fi when all it means is that I'll be spending $10/gig even faster

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
I don't see how it's a selling point for anyone. Current speeds already stream 1080p videos fast enough not to buffer which I assume is what people mostly do? Are people out there doing humongous file transfers through their phones?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

drizzle posted:

I don't see how it's a selling point for anyone. Current speeds already stream 1080p videos fast enough not to buffer which I assume is what people mostly do? Are people out there doing humongous file transfers through their phones?

This is an exercise in throughput in higher density areas. There is simply more aggregate bandwidth available. So if you were experiencing delays as a result of rf network congestion before this could resolve it.

And as I said up-thread this is also going to be a fixed wireless play.

Also, it's one number higher to put on a phone spec so whether it does anything or not it will sell more phones.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'd love to ditch Cox, especially since AT&T won't roll out fiber here and only supplies DSL. But they're going to have to do something about wireless data caps if they're going to compete with my cable data caps.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

I'd love to ditch Cox, especially since AT&T won't roll out fiber here and only supplies DSL. But they're going to have to do something about wireless data caps if they're going to compete with my cable data caps.

Data caps are not likely to be a thing for fixed wireless. Verizon already has some fixed wireless triple play test markets up and running from what I've gathered from friends in the industry - and it's being sold as fios triple play. The only difference is they put a little antenna on the side of your house that goes to the dmarc rather than the demarc being an ONT with fiber from the curb.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lol just got a message from my boss -

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FogHelmut posted:

lmao 5g

Yeah it's pretty batshit

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah it's pretty batshit

If I'm reading that correctly, at $10/gb, that speed test cost $2.53.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
lol

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

Lol just got a message from my boss -

Does anyone else get their Google FI VPN data routed through Canada? This has been the case for me since it existed. Websites and apps that base my location off of my IP think I am in Canada when I am connected to the Google Fi VPN. I checked with Google Fi Support, and they have told me that the VPN is not for use within the US.

Uh, what? The phone suggests you turn it on as a permanent feature when you do the initial setup.

Still waiting for them to come back with an explanation.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I've only ever seen mine go though california, iirc.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Hahaha, what? Fi isn't even available outside the US.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

poeticoddity posted:

If I'm reading that correctly, at $10/gb, that speed test cost $2.53.

lol

since I work from home and have used minuscule amounts of data since March this is probably equal to the amount of data I used last month

E: lmao

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 29, 2020

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yeah its been this way since the beginning. If I'm playing a game, it puts a Canadian flag next to my name. When I did the Speedtest today, I had to manually get a local server because it assigned me Toronto. I am in Southern California.

The best explanation I can come up with on the web is that maybe their list of IPs that they use were formerly in Canada, and with the IPV4 shortage, they moved some IPs around, but old DNS servers never updated their info, or something like that.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

azurite posted:

Hahaha, what? Fi isn't even available outside the US.

What? You mean like, to purchase a plan on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Yes.