Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

has Manfred discussed whether pitchers are going to be able to use the Damp Rag in 2021?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

With nothing else on TV, I've been converting old VHS tapes to DVD.

One is an edited version of the 1992 NLCS, Game 7. The commentary noted some stuff in the 9th:
- Doug Drabek was lifted after 125 pitches and a 4-pitch walk to Sid Bream.
- Jim Leyland had Bob Patterson and Stan Belinda warming up. He opted to bring in Belinda, despite them noting that Belinda wasn't a ground ball pitcher (the bases were loaded with no outs).

The Sports Illustrated that came out the next week had some really wonderful articles. The Cruelest Game, the one from Pittsburgh's perspective, captured the essence of then and really everything since.

Right now, I have a 1991 Braves season documentary copying, one of two the team did. John Goodman narrated this one, fresh off filming The Babe.

drat, was Darryl Strawberry hated.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Atlanta:
Free agents: Tyler Flowers, Shane Greene, Cole Hamels, Adeiny Hechavarría, Nick Markakis, Mark Melancon, Marcell Ozuna, Pablo Sandoval, Josh Tomlin

- Give Ozuna all the money.
- Maybe re-sign Greene, maybe Melancon.
- The rest of the above are either horrible or toast.
- Sign another starting pitcher or three, preferably people who aren't rear end and aren't old.
- If you can end the Austin Riley experiment, please do. He's not horrible, but slightly below league average seems to be his future.
- Dump Luke Jackson and clean every surface his greasy hair has touched.

OK, on balance as much as I have loved Marcell, his value is significantly diminished in a non-DH league, even if it's just the one year you still have to wedge him into the outfield. He is also coming off the very definition of a contract year, with an OPS+ 26 points higher than his previous best, and even that earlier good year (2017) was really his only other significantly above average one. There's a real risk of regression, and the Braves even pre-pandemic are not a team that can afford to just shrug off a bad big-dollar contract. At the very least, that's money that could go to keeping Freddie and buying out years of Soroka, Fried, Pache, etc.

That said, there's really not much help they can get for the lineup via free agency, since I don't see them making a run at Springer. If they don't get Ozuna, then you need a platoon partner for Duvall, for certain (unless you really want to commit to throwing Drew Waters into the deep end), but I don't see much of a way to improve third base, since again I doubt they're going to throw any money at Justin Turner and everyone else is very old or completely cooked. For sure there's no one in the prospect pipe line. Maybe someone else's castoff will float by?

In the meantime, they should have no problem picking up a usable starter with that money—in particular it'd be nice to use the AA ties to lure Marcus Stroman. But probably they'll just get another rental who will suck immediately, or they'll have the privilege again of paying someone to be injured all year.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Easy solve for third base, just bring back Hech and get money off those sweet bat flips.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Inspector_666 posted:

It's just how The Post refers to the mayor.

He thinks he's the greatest thing walking the earth

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Thom P. Tiers posted:

The Cardinals let Wong go because they didn't wanna pay him 11.5m next year :v:

Everyone on a team option is about to get released and the owners are going to cry poor :rip:

Oh goddammit Cards. He was my favorite player on the squad :(

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Good news Astros fans:

https://twitter.com/jakemkaplan/status/1321842918580228096

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I guess they're not so glad they got him this Thanksgiving.

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020

Good riddance

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/markasaxon/status/1321583007791198211

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Repeat 29 times

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yep. The only team I thought might splurge is the Mets since they were getting a new, insanely rich owner who was not impacted directly by MLB's 2020 losses, but apparently de Blasio has told MLB that he will "Everything he can" to stop the deal, and apparently he does have some kind of authority to do so because of Cohen's prior felony charge.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Anyone else feel like the sox are using the threat of la russa to dampen criticism when they hire cpatain can bang?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I think the Jays payroll will go up as well!

lmao Cleveland cutting Brad Hand

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/ZackMeisel/status/1321861464827846656

:thunk: :thunk: :thunk:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

If they can't even trade Brad Hand the players are about to get turbofucked in free agency.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Thom P. Tiers posted:

The Cardinals let Wong go because they didn't wanna pay him 11.5m next year :v:

Everyone on a team option is about to get released and the owners are going to cry poor :rip:

I'm quoting this because this is obviously where we are going. Every single player with a team option will be released and the extra amount of quality free agents will suppress
the market. This will enable some teams to re-sign those same players to lesser deals. Also i would make un unreasonably large bet that this year not 1 player is offered the qualifying offer before hitting free agency. Only have one rule if their salary was already within 20% of that offer i'm not counting those players.

Edit: Just to use an example.

Braves paid Ozuna something around 18 million this year, the qualifying offer is around 18 million this year. If they don't re-sign him of course they will offer him the QO.
The amount is getting high enough that combined with loss of revenues no team will ever offer it again to a player they wouldn't actually pay....in order to get a draft pick.
Those days are over and of course next CBA it will be gone anyway.

chilihead fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 29, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

If they can't even trade Brad Hand the players are about to get turbofucked in free agency.
It’s going to be like that one off-season in the 80s where nobody would sign Andre Dawson (I think this was the collusion off-season), so he gave the Cubs’ GM a blank contract to fill out

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Literally any team in baseball right now could go out and get a proven left handed closer who just put up a 1.37 FIP and is only 30 for a 1/10 commitment. All they have to do is claim him. That's it. No prospect capital, no negotiation, no nothing. Just go claim him and bam, your bullpen is insanely better at what should be below market cost.

If nobody claims Hand then nobody is getting paid this offseason. That tweet by Bauer about considering any offers from any MLB or NPB team is looking a lot less like a joke and more him realizing Japan might be the only place where he can get paid next year.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

I look forward to the impending strike and I hope it destroys the league as it currently exists forever.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

yeah i'll take one (1) Brad Hand please

General Bullshit posted:

I look forward to the impending strike and I hope it destroys the league as it currently exists forever.
The 2020 Dodgers, your last and forever World Series Champions :smuggo:

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 29, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

General Bullshit posted:

The worst thing about the inevitable strike though is that MLB and the owners have been prepping public opinion for well over a decade to instantly turn on the greedy, selfish players and the MLBPA is too toothless to try and fight that perception.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It seems to me at least that more media and even some mainstream media has become more labor-friendly in sports, although a baseball strike will also go right into the culture war woodchipper.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/whitesox/status/1321874797559750660

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
TONY LA RUSSA?!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
This is all killing my interest in MLB overall. I've already gone one year without going to any games. If the season starts on time, it probably wouldn't be open to fans or just wildly unsafe to be at still so I'll probably have another year I don't go to any games.

I only watched Cleveland games on mlb.tv this year and since they're dedicated to being garbage, that would be easier to stop too.

I've gone from "love baseball enough to try to travel to every stadium" to "meh, gently caress it." Good work owners.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

oh I'm sure a 76 year old TLR will get along just great in that clubhouse, it's gonna be smooth sailing on the south side now!

https://twitter.com/Nick_BPSS/status/1321829317903527936

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Hey is Dominican Winter Ball worth the stream cost? I miss watching baseball.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Dusty seemed to work for the Astros and he's a billion years old. I guess i'm just so tired of these puppet managers who just listen to what the analytics dept and FO says that I can't poo poo on this as much as I thought.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

gently caress TLR. He's gonna squander that very young, very talented lineup.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H47ow4_Cmk0

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Our country just absolutely cannot let go of the 80s, gently caress sakes

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Dusty seemed to work for the Astros and he's a billion years old. I guess i'm just so tired of these puppet managers who just listen to what the analytics dept and FO says that I can't poo poo on this as much as I thought.
Can you think of a difference between TLR and Dusty which might be relevant here?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
holy lol at TLR being BACK

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Our country just absolutely cannot let go of the 80s, gently caress sakes

his first season managing the sox was in '79!!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

had to be done, the white sox were too likable IMO

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Yea, La Russa is a shithead.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I love the White Sox :v:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Sox fired Renteria to hire Tony La Russa jfc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Lets hire a geriatric coach in the middle of a pandemic :downs: