Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

RFC2324 posted:

We slept alot. Always someone active on case the place caught fire, but of the 3 of us one guy spend most of his shift MIA, one guy slept half his shift, and i mostly shitposted and played EVE.

My midnight helpdesk gig was typically 4 calls a night with 2 people on duty. Sleep. Everquest. Hour long smoke breaks. Pirated movies. As long as the phone got answered, nobody cared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

AlexDeGruven posted:

My midnight helpdesk gig was typically 4 calls a night with 2 people on duty. Sleep. Everquest. Hour long smoke breaks. Pirated movies. As long as the phone got answered, nobody cared.

My gig was monitoring. My core duty was to watch a screen for an alert to pop up, and make sure I notice it within like 2 hours of firing.

I had other poo poo to do, but no one cared if I did it. The only thing that mattered was looking tlat a screen at least once ever couple hours.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

A ticket came in.

User doesn't want to use our VPN because they're working with "real people's confidential data" and thinks we might have access to their screen activities.

OH BOY YOU HAVE NO IDEA...

That we can't actually see your screen unless you let us.

E:

The exchange was almost literally thus:

:byodame: "I don't feel comfortable using the VPN because HIPPA laws and I am working with real patient data on contact tracing."
:v: "What part of HIPAA regulations lead you to have concerns over using the $Org VPN on an $Org-owned device?"
:byodame: "That you might have access to my screen activities and I am working with REAL PATIENT'S CONFIDENTIAL DATA."

Eyeroll, forwarded to InfoSec team to beat user with a clue-by-four.

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 28, 2020

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Disclaimer: IANAL

That's an insanely stupid take. My understanding is HIPPA has a provision where if witnessing PHI has to happen as part of your job, you're not violating anything as long as you and your organization makes a best-effort to minimize the time of exposure, the people exposed to it, and the amount of information they're witnessing. Unless you're actively seeking to witness PHI for reasons not immediately related to the job you need to do or you're being negligent in how you go about it, is usually kosher.

Sure IT has the power to enable screen sharing to a doctor without checking first or some other valid work reason, but they also have the power to rifle through PHI without cause. The violation in both contexts comes from negligent actions, not from (appropriately managed) power itself that exists to perform relevant job functions.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Also not a lawyer, but I did sit through HIPAA training for work many years ago when I was the lead dev for our software supporting hospitals.
The user is seemingly trying to get out of being required to do work and is taking a really dumb stand.

Forwarding it on to the infosec team was the right move, and you may have wanted to include their boss as well.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I have recently, as in this year, read through all of the applicable sections of HIPAA for my coursework in InfoSec and the user's claim is absolutely loving dumb.

They backed it up by their contract tracing coordinator claiming that being connected to a VPN gives arbitrary access to "see literally everything you do, including your screens" which is just so much patent bullshit. That isn't how VPNs work, that isn't how our remote desktop management is setup, bullshit bullshit bullshit.

I privately commented to the infosec guys that yes, I know it's bullshit, but their saying the user is a loving idiot will go over better as how could I, a mere Service Desk grunt, possibly know?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

RFC2324 posted:

i mostly shitposted and played EVE.

Late night helpdesk memories

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

RFC2324 posted:

We slept alot. Always someone active on case the place caught fire, but of the 3 of us one guy spend most of his shift MIA, one guy slept half his shift, and i mostly shitposted and played EVE.
I made a really impressive multi-level semi-automated farm over on the Nameless Vanilla goon-run Minecraft server.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

dragonshardz posted:

I have recently, as in this year, read through all of the applicable sections of HIPAA for my coursework in InfoSec and the user's claim is absolutely loving dumb.

They backed it up by their contract tracing coordinator claiming that being connected to a VPN gives arbitrary access to "see literally everything you do, including your screens" which is just so much patent bullshit. That isn't how VPNs work, that isn't how our remote desktop management is setup, bullshit bullshit bullshit.

I privately commented to the infosec guys that yes, I know it's bullshit, but their saying the user is a loving idiot will go over better as how could I, a mere Service Desk grunt, possibly know?

Even if this persons claims were true, none of that is against hipaa.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

armchair lawyers in the office aaaaaaagghhh

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I don't have as much as the tiniest bit of hipaa training but lol at the idea that an unmanaged computer on an unsecured network is somehow more private for the customer.

Ask her how she planning to make copies of PII to save at home for personal use.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't even see how the average employee needs to be aware of HIPAA requirements because it should all have been turned into policies enforced by IT or actual policies and processed enforced by the employer.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Sickening posted:

Even if this persons claims were true, none of that is against hipaa.

I'm well aware! Idiot user is basing all of this on poo poo her similarly uninformed contact tracing coordinator is saying.

Renegret posted:

I don't have as much as the tiniest bit of hipaa training but lol at the idea that an unmanaged computer on an unsecured network is somehow more private for the customer.

Ask her how she planning to make copies of PII to save at home for personal use.

Oh, probably a directly connected wireless printer that'll stop working after the VPN is set up on her machine.

Thanks Ants posted:

I don't even see how the average employee needs to be aware of HIPAA requirements because it should all have been turned into policies enforced by IT or actual policies and processed enforced by the employer.

Uninformed staff being voluntold to help with COVID-19 contact tracing and knowing that HIPAA is vaguely related to IT somehow so they get all :ohdear: when we (FINALLY) implement a VPN.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

This.

The average user should only become aware of HIPAA when they butt up against it and get told that's why they can't do the thing.

If a regular user is trying to leverage HIPAA to do things outside of normal policy, then they need to be smacked down hard and fast, and then sent for education.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

dragonshardz posted:

Oh, probably a directly connected wireless printer that'll stop working after the VPN is set up on her machine.

This stumped me for a good fifteen minutes the other day. Absolutely mortifying when I realized.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

AlexDeGruven posted:

The average user should only become aware of HIPAA when they butt up against it and get told that's why they can't do the thing.

I mean ideally yeah, but even if you design a system that's absolutely perfect at restricting only specifically relevant data to people immediately relevant to the situation, users can still "Hey I saw Alice check into our mental health clinic" and in practice users can almost certainly find a way to game the system if they were determined enough, and especially if they hadn't been actively told that making a copy of your buddy's SO's medical records for personal use is literally a crime.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I love it when users don't understand that IT can see EVERYTHING if we decide we want to, and the only thing holding us back is ethics

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I am aware of one Head of Information Security who objected to Have I Been Pwned monitoring of company VIP email addresses "in case we learn things".

Head of Information Security.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

One time we found out a user had been putting {encrypt} instead of [encrypt] in her email subjects so they weren't going to the magic email encryption machine....

She wasn't spelling encrypt right, either, so gently caress it.

Per HIPAA we had to make sure that every email she sent in the last three months used SSL on the mail server side :coolfish:

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

RFC2324 posted:

I love it when users don't understand that IT can see EVERYTHING if we decide we want to, and the only thing holding us back is ethics

Yeah, that's a fun concept to explain. Technically we have the ability to touch everything, but ethically we don't unless there's a specific business need or permission is given.

It's especially fun when the person you're explaining it to can't fathom being able to nose around and not doing so.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

dragonshardz posted:

Yeah, that's a fun concept to explain. Technically we have the ability to touch everything, but ethically we don't unless there's a specific business need or permission is given.

It's especially fun when the person you're explaining it to can't fathom being able to nose around and not doing so.

I admit, not doing so can be an exercise is willpower occasionally (because an incurious mind doesn't succeed in this industry), but I am also capable of overriding my urges, being an adult

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yeah, users can't conceive of the fact that I don't need to know their password, and that I do not want to know their password, and it really is for the best that they change it to something that hasn't been sent to them electronically or put into an unsecure ticket.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

I admit, not doing so can be an exercise is willpower occasionally (because an incurious mind doesn't succeed in this industry), but I am also capable of overriding my urges, being an adult

I guess you haven't run across enough browser history/save folders/etc to exceed the capacity of any eye bleach to ever unsee. That'll fix you right on up.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Motronic posted:

I guess you haven't run across enough browser history/save folders/etc to exceed the capacity of any eye bleach to ever unsee. That'll fix you right on up.

I've only run into that once, and it was when I was tasked with figuring out why one person was using 80% of the storage on the user share.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bob Morales posted:

One time we found out a user had been putting {encrypt} instead of [encrypt] in her email subjects so they weren't going to the magic email encryption machine....

She wasn't spelling encrypt right, either, so gently caress it.

Per HIPAA we had to make sure that every email she sent in the last three months used SSL on the mail server side :coolfish:

Ugh, you have more to lookup than SSL I am afraid.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Motronic posted:

Fortunately, no. I haven't had to support desktops since before best buy had a geek squad

and in all jobs, poking in a users stuff like that was verboten, because of the risk of something confidential being saved there.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

SSL doesn't work like that :nsa:

The user needs a personal PKI encryption certificate installed in her email client or Outlook Web Access. The recipient of her email also needs a PKI encryption certificate as well, and they need to exchange public keys somehow, either through your organization's Global Address List, or a digitally signed email between the users with the public key attached. (Outlook defaults to this behavior, so the user doesn't need to do anything other than digitally sign the email in order to exchange keys).

Also, digitally signing an email =/= encrypting, they are unique functions, and should not be confused. You cannot encrypt an email without digitally signing it, but you can digitally sign it and not encrypt it.

Unless of course your "Magic email encryption machine" has some strange function that encrypts users email but lets anyone who has access to the "Magic email encryption machine" can read email not directly addressed to them. I''ve never heard of anything like that, only good old fashioned PKI encryption.

quote:

OCR does not specify HIPAA email encryption requirements, but covered entities can find out more about electronic mail security from the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) – See SP 800-45 Version 2. NIST recommends the use of Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) 128, 192 or 256-bit encryption, OpenPGP, and S/MIME.

Granted this creates the problem of you not being able to scan email in transit because S/MIME is designed for end-to-end encryption, and your mail server would be unable to scan the email for malware if it is encrypted within the email, but that's why you have antivirus/antimalware on your endpoints, right?

orange juche fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 30, 2020

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

RFC2324 posted:

Exactly.

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, users can't conceive of the fact that I don't need to know their password, and that I do not want to know their password, and it really is for the best that they change it to something that hasn't been sent to them electronically or put into an unsecure ticket.

Oh my god, the number of times I've had to tell a user we don't need their current password in order to reset it, and please for the love of all that is holy don't send it to us by email.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

dragonshardz posted:

Exactly.

Oh my god, the number of times I've had to tell a user we don't need their current password in order to reset it, and please for the love of all that is holy don't send it to us by email.

At my last job I watched the SOC and a client go back and forth like 5 times. The client sent us a password to a thing, SOC saw it, stepped in, reset/expired the password, informed the customer, who immediately sent us what they changed the password to.

:negative:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I had a nurse who, for some reason, was completely incapable of remembering her password.

Almost every night we would get a call that her "password stopped working again". At least 3-4x/week.

So we set her a lovely easy password and put it on a post it note. Every time she called we would "reset it back" again. Which entailed nothing more than tapping on the keyboard for a moment while rolling our eyes.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Is it like the beginning of RED where Bruce Willis keeps ripping up his checks just to speak to the hot help desk lady?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

AlexDeGruven posted:

I had a nurse who, for some reason, was completely incapable of remembering her password.

Almost every night we would get a call that her "password stopped working again". At least 3-4x/week.

So we set her a lovely easy password and put it on a post it note. Every time she called we would "reset it back" again. Which entailed nothing more than tapping on the keyboard for a moment while rolling our eyes.

I had a user who would submit a password reset request at least once a week, sometimes up to 3, depending on how she was feeling I guess. And she got very very mad that I insited she change it away from the default bulk password I use for all "i am literally talking to the person and they can log in and change it as soon as I hit commit" users. Since "[my] password is so easy to remember."

Eventually it stopped. I imagine because they changed it to their windows password.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
As an ISP network admin I have found my new mortal enemy

gamers

Complaining to executive management about your 70ms ping in counterstrike isn't going to make you suck any less, but it will waste a poo poo ton of my time.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I mean turns out there actually is some suboptimal routing going on but shut up I'm more interested in saving bandwidth on my core than 30ms of latency.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Renegret posted:

gamers

Complaining to executive management about your 70ms ping in counterstrike isn't going to make you suck any less, but it will waste a poo poo ton of my time.

lol who did this? fucks sake if you care about it get a business class plan with a service level agreement and pay that loving money. Other than that, gently caress you, best effort, bitch.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
to be totally fair, if it's like 70ms to the next state over that's utter bullshit and absolute insanity

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Renegret posted:

gamers

Why does your network suck

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
in all seriousness the csgo official server network can nearly guarantee sub-20 or 30 ms anywhere in the lower 48 (probably sub-5 to 10ms if you are in a major city like LA or Dallas) unless your network is literal dogshit, that includes even singlehomed cogent, so something seems horribly wrong. they are open peering on any IXP also. even I have a peering session with valve's AS32590 for my network of 4 people that play counterstrike

orange juche posted:

lol who did this? fucks sake if you care about it get a business class plan with a service level agreement and pay that loving money. Other than that, gently caress you, best effort, bitch.

i can understand that this is mildly ridiculous but if you are 70ms to one of the most heavily connected open-peering-policy from any major market, something is really wrong. even starlink is under 70ms to sea.valve.net

Impotence fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 30, 2020

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Methanar posted:

Why does your network suck

money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Renegret posted:

gamers

I remember when having a ping that was in the double digits was an amazing thing that gave me a massively unfair advantage in Quake type games. Spoiled rear end kids.