Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
this talk of hard drives reminded me of "short stroking" HDDs which is where you allocate a partition that only uses the outer tracks of the disk to maximize performance and minimize seek times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I remember that

Fun fact, WD did that on purpose with a model once

I had ordered some 500gb WD Green drives for the comp shop and got a batch of them formatted to 808.8 GB

i went what

did a bit of searching and basically 8 is a lucky number in China so they short stroked a bunch of 1T drives in the firmware for a chinese new year celebration product. Then just sold the leftovers at 500gb pricing. lol

anyways on computer building, it's funny how 20 years ago my video card was the size of a pack of cigarettes and my hard drives took up a bread loaf's worth of space. this new machine will have a video card the size of a cat and a 1TB drive the size of a stick of gum

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

808, not solid state.

:haw:

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.

BLOBby Newmark posted:

808, not solid state.

:haw:

:golfclap:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I'm short stroking right now

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I think the new nvidia 3d nuclear gamer X founders edition takes something nuts like 4 pci slots up because it's so god drat big

I mean I thought my 1070ti was big but this poo poo is insane

And then you've got the xbox x which I assume is essentially just a gpu in a box now

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I think the new nvidia 3d nuclear gamer X founders edition takes something nuts like 4 pci slots up because it's so god drat big

And then you've got the xbox x which I assume is essentially just a gpu in a box now

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I'm short stroking right now

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

gpu and tons of room for cooling

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

trackback urls

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ftp sites that would make you click 300 ads deep to retrieve some arcane word in the 3rd paragraph of the final ad to use as a password to get access to the site

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

quote:

If you are affiliated with any government, anti-piracy group or any other related group, or were formally a worker of one you CANNOT enter this web site, cannot access any of its files and you cannot view any of the HTML files. If you enter this site you are not agreeing to these terms and you are violating code 431.322.12 of the Internet Privacy Act signed by Bill Clinton in 1995 and that means that you CANNOT threaten our ISP(s) or any person(s) or company storing these files, and cannot prosecute any person(s) affiliated with this page which includes family, friends or individuals who run or enter this web site.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

ftp sites that would make you click 300 ads deep to retrieve some arcane word in the 3rd paragraph of the final ad to use as a password to get access to the site

and then the password didn't work because the web of nested angelfire/geocities sites everything was spread across had changed six times since the instructions were written

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Sweevo posted:

and then the password didn't work because the web of nested angelfire/geocities sites everything was spread across had changed six times since the instructions were written

sign my guestbook

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Fart Sandwiches posted:

sign my guestbook

join my webring

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
view my livejournal

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

listen to my atrocious embedded midi

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

this site uses frames and so is best viewed in internet explorer 2

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

guest books and web rings were great and losing them is the surest sign of the deterioration of the web as a place of individual expression and collaborative organization.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

around 1998/99 there was a kid who had every single nes/snes/master system/megadrive/n64 rom spread out over dozens of free hosting sites, all fully indexed, searchable, and downloadable with one click. then one day it all disappeared and was replaced with his lovely personal homepage - just a small photo of the kid, a list of bands he liked, and an invitation to sign his guestbook.

within 24 hours the guestbook was 200 pages long and every post was an expletive/slur/threat filled all-caps rant about WHERE ARE THE loving ROMS YOU LITTLE F*G? PUT THE loving ROMS BACK YOU PATHETIC LITTLE gently caress OR I'M GOING TO FIND YOU AND CUT YOU. I AM MAFIA SO BELIEVE ME I WILL DO IT!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sweevo posted:

around 1998/99 there was a kid who had every single nes/snes/master system/megadrive/n64 rom spread out over dozens of free hosting sites, all fully indexed, searchable, and downloadable with one click. then one day it all disappeared and was replaced with his lovely personal homepage - just a small photo of the kid, a list of bands he liked, and an invitation to sign his guestbook.

within 24 hours the guestbook was 200 pages long and every post was an expletive/slur/threat filled all-caps rant about WHERE ARE THE loving ROMS YOU LITTLE F*G? PUT THE loving ROMS BACK YOU PATHETIC LITTLE gently caress OR I'M GOING TO FIND YOU AND CUT YOU. I AM MAFIA SO BELIEVE ME I WILL DO IT!

so did he put the roms back or did the mafia cut him :ohdear:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

mafia: known retro gaming heads and rom-needers

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

3D Megadoodoo posted:

so did he put the roms back or did the mafia cut him :ohdear:

he probably works for an insurance company or something

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Suspicious posted:

view my livejournal

an old roommate found my livejournal from way back and it is deeply shameful emoposting. please don’t view my livejournal

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Jonny 290 posted:

WD Green drives

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Maxtor

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

WD has a panoply of stupid color-coded hard drives you don't want. I just heard of WD purple "surveillance" drives the other day

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Apple

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

WD has a panoply of stupid color-coded hard drives you don't want. I just heard of WD purple "surveillance" drives the other day

for the dvr suckers who are just now realizing everyone stopped making vcrs a few years ago.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

word clouds

aol keyword party
Sep 27, 2005

you can find a pleasure of shooting prolific amounts of pictures,

Plextor

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Canopus

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

google stadia

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
that lycos dog

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
VRML chatrooms

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Friend of mine was celebrating a raise this week by ordering out from Seattle's second-best pizzeria

e: whoops meant to put this in the 'posest images thread

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 11, 2020

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

expert sex change dog com

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

El Mero Mero posted:

Friend of mine was celebrating a raise this week by ordering out from Seattle's second-best pizzeria

e: whoops meant to put this in the 'posest images thread

I'm concerned about what kind of sauce-spray you'd get from a celling fan/pizza impact?

:ohdear:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

that bit in iron man 2 when Tony Stank, a billionaire who has invented AI, has to phone up larry elison to use the oracle cloud for some calcs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the other bit in iron man 2 when elon musk is briefly visible