Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Missed opportunity, not asking for a hat wobble.

Also, by far the most mind blowing news to me in this thread is learning Cally from BSG is a whacko.

Wikipedia posted:

Clyne, a member of NXIVM for 13 years, married actress Allison Mack in 2017. The marriage was alleged to have been a sham to evade United States immigration laws, and became public knowledge the following year during legal proceedings on the conspiracy and racketeering charges related to Mack's involvement with NXIVM. It has been reported that Clyne left Battlestar Galactica to be a member of NXIVM full-time.

That's bananas.

EDIT: OMG what a worthless snipe. Here, have this. Donald Schlump.

Stryder fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/LilTunechi/status/1321941986174226432?s=20

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Guillotine

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

smoobles posted:

I’d believe it. In the first round she pretended not know what she was doing, barely accomplished her tasks. In the second round as impostor Ilhan killed 4 crewmates before a single body was discovered, eventually won the round (with AOC as the other impostor).

Ilhan Omar is at the intersection of gaming and politics and she is a terrifying force.

Of course it'd be the one ineligible to be president.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Granos and Small Facers should face the police

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Mox Hombre posted:

it's a right-wing thing. this is one of the main right wing assholes in slovenia:

Biggie Smallface

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

I said come in! posted:

If somehow Trump does win, there is a possibility the democrats will take over house and senate, making it virtually impossible for Trump to do anything.

Trump would be fine with that. He didn’t get anything done in his first term. That would allow him to blame literally everything on “evil democrats” while he continues to pillage the country.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Frank Frank posted:

Biggie Smallface

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Nobody ever told trump that birdman kissed lil Wayne

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

I said come in! posted:

If somehow Trump does win, there is a possibility the democrats will take over house and senate, making it virtually impossible for Trump to do anything.

Golf, rallies and tweeting?

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Words cannot express how much I want to strap this fat dumb gently caress to a chair and give him the Ludovico treatment from Clockwork Orange, except it's footage of somebody reading a thesaurus entry for "disaster" over and over. You will learn a new word if we have to be here all week.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/currypiston/status/1321950850030440449?s=20

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Mox Hombre posted:

it's a right-wing thing. this is one of the main right wing assholes in slovenia:

It's like the Oblivion character creator in real life. Incredible.

I don't like to make fun of peoples personal apperances but holy poo poo.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

This is the worst news all year

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Mox Hombre posted:

Little Face!

Who's next, Lips Manlis? Pruneface? Inquiring minds need to know!

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Mox Hombre posted:

stepping into the machine from the fly but someone left a potato in it.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

lol Lil Wayne's brain is mush from abusing lean and hasn't been relevant in years.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/security/how-fake-persona-laid-groundwork-hunter-biden-conspiracy-deluge-n1245387

The document, a 64-page composition that was later disseminated by close associates of President Donald Trump, appears to be the work of a fake "intelligence firm" called Typhoon Investigations, according to researchers and public documents.

The author of the document, a self-identified Swiss security analyst named Martin Aspen, is a fabricated identity, according to analysis by disinformation researchers, who also concluded that Aspen's profile picture was created with an artificial intelligence face generator. The intelligence firm that Aspen lists as his previous employer said that no one by that name had ever worked for the company and that no one by that name lives in Switzerland, according to public records and social media searches.

One of the original posters of the document, a blogger and professor named Christopher Balding, took credit for writing parts of it when asked about it and said Aspen does not exist.

The document and its spread have become part of a wider effort to smear Hunter Biden and weaken Joe Biden's presidential campaign, which moved from the fringes of the internet to more mainstream conservative news outlets.

The Typhoon Investigations document was first posted in September to Intelligence Quarterly, an anonymous blog "dedicated to collecting important daily news," according to its "about" section. Historical domain records show the blog was registered to Albert Marko, a self-described political and economic adviser, who also lists the blog on his Twitter bio. When asked about the provenance of the document, Marko said he received it from Balding.

Balding, an associate professor at Fulbright University Vietnam who studies the Chinese economy and financial markets, posted the document on his blog on Oct. 22, seven weeks after it was initially published.

"I had really not wanted to do this but roughly 2 months ago I was handed a report about Biden activities in China the press has simply refused to cover. I want to strongly emphasize I did not write the report but I know who did," Balding said in an email.

Balding later claimed to NBC News that he wrote some of the document.

"I authored small parts of the report and was involved in report preparation and review. As a researcher, and due to the understandable worry about foreign disinformation, it was paramount that the report document activity from acknowledged and public sources," Balding said. "Great care was taken to document, cite, and retain information so that acknowledged facts could be placed in the public domain."

Balding said Aspen is "an entirely fictional individual created solely for the purpose of releasing this report." Balding did not name the document's main author, saying "the primary author of the report, due to personal and professional risks, requires anonymity."

Balding claimed that the document was commissioned by Apple Daily, a Hong Kong-based tabloid that is frequently critical of the Chinese government. Apple Daily did not respond to a request for comment.

In addition to posting the document to his blog, Balding also promoted it in far-right media, appearing on Bannon's podcast and on "China Unscripted," a podcast produced by The Epoch Times, a pro-Trump media outlet opposed to the Chinese government.

Balding, an American who taught economics at China's Peking University HSBC Business School until 2018, is often critical of the Chinese government. He made news this year as a source uncovering a global bulk data collection operation by the Chinese company Shenzhen Zhenhua Data Technology.

After the promise of a big reveal one day earlier, the document was also posted on the extremist forum 8kun by Q, the anonymous account behind the QAnon conspiracy theory movement.

On Twitter, the document was pushed by influencers in the QAnon community, as well as by Dinggang Wang, an anti-Chinese government YouTube personality who works for Guo Wengui, a billionaire who fled China amid accusations of bribery and other crimes. Republican Newt Gingrich, the former speaker of the House of Representatives, tweeted the document to his 2.3 million followers.

The document gained attention from disinformation researchers in part because of the image of the document's author.

Elise Thomas, a researcher at the Australian Strategic Policy Institute, first spotted telltale signs of a fake photo when she went searching for Typhoon Investigations' Aspen on the web. Thomas found a Twitter account for Aspen named @TyphoonInvesti1, which had posted a link to Typhoon's WordPress page that contained the document on Aug. 15.

The profile picture for Aspen immediately showed signs of being a computer-generated image that can be created by computers and even some websites. Aspen's ears were asymmetrical, for one, but his left eye is what gave away that he did not really exist. Aspen's left iris juts out and appears to form a second pupil, a somewhat frequent error with computer-generated faces.

"The most obvious tell was the irregular shape of the irises," Thomas said. "The profile picture looks pretty convincing in the Twitter thumbnail, but when I popped it up into full view I was immediately suspicious."

Thomas then consulted with Ben Nimmo, director of investigations at the analytics company Graphika, who noted the other telltale sign of a computer-generated face.

"One of the things he and his team have figured out is that if you layer a lot of these images over the top of one another, the eyes align," Thomas said. "He did that with this image, and the eyes matched up."

Other parts of Aspen's identity were clearly stolen from disparate parts of the web. Aspen's Facebook page was created in August, and it featured only two pictures, both from his "new house," which were tracked back to reviews on the travel website Tripadvisor. The logo for Typhoon Investigations was lifted from the Taiwan Fact-Checking Center, a digital literacy nonprofit.

Aspen claimed on his LinkedIn profile to have worked for a company called Swiss Security Solutions from 2016 to 2020. Swiss Security Solutions denied having ever employed anyone named Aspen, and it said it had found fake accounts for two other people pretending to have worked for the company.

"Martin Aspen was never a freelancer or worker of the Swiss Security Solutions. We do not know this person. According to our Due Diligence Software, this person does not exist in Switzerland," Swiss Security Solutions Chairman Bojan Ilic said, adding that the company has reported the profile to LinkedIn.

Computer-generated faces have become a staple of large-scale disinformation operations in the run-up to the election. In December, Facebook took down a network of fake accounts using computer-created faces tied to The Epoch Times. Facebook removed over 600 accounts tied to the operation, which pushed pro-Trump messages and even served as moderators of some Facebook groups.

Last month, Facebook removed another batch of computer-generated profiles originating in China and the Philippines, some of which made anti-Trump posts.

Renee DiResta, a researcher at the Stanford Internet Observatory, said computer-created identities are becoming common for disinformation campaigns, in part because they are easy to create.

DiResta, who helped examine a ring of AI-generated faces tied to the conservative nonprofit Turning Point USA last month, said computer-generated profile pictures can be used to "build an army of fake people" to artificially support a cause or to make "disinformation operations harder to discover."

"One of the things that investigators look at to understand the narrative that is spreading is whether the accounts are authentic, whether they're real," DiResta said. "If they were to use a stock photo, it confirms something dishonest is likely happening. By using an AI-generated face, you're guaranteeing you won't find that person elsewhere on the internet."

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Virginia Slams posted:

lol Lil Wayne's brain is mush from abusing lean and hasn't been relevant in years.

Tha Carter V had like three good songs and Funeral was trash.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

I am just shocked.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Virginia Slams posted:

I'd take stealing funds to purchase steam games or to donate to some loser streamer controversy any day over locking kids in cages and killing 240k people. That said people that non ironically refer to themselves as gamers and make that a personality trait are usually antisocial chuds.

Duncan Hunter 100% supported those policies, though. He's a piece of poo poo, and I hope Campa-Najjar wins the seat.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Mox Hombre posted:

There's no loving way that's real, that has to be one of those deep learning AI fake people right?

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

Propaganda Hour posted:

Tha Carter V had like three good songs and Funeral was trash.

He uses ghost writers so my guess is there just isn't any demand for his music so nobody with talent wants to work with him. Not sure hitching yourself to Donald Trump is the best way to jumpstart your dead career tho.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Ultra Carp

The Last Call posted:

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/security/how-fake-persona-laid-groundwork-hunter-biden-conspiracy-deluge-n1245387

The document, a 64-page composition that was later disseminated by close associates of President Donald Trump, appears to be the work of a fake "intelligence firm" called Typhoon Investigations, according to researchers and public documents.

The author of the document, a self-identified Swiss security analyst named Martin Aspen, is a fabricated identity, according to analysis by disinformation researchers, who also concluded that Aspen's profile picture was created with an artificial intelligence face generator. The intelligence firm that Aspen lists as his previous employer said that no one by that name had ever worked for the company and that no one by that name lives in Switzerland, according to public records and social media searches.

One of the original posters of the document, a blogger and professor named Christopher Balding, took credit for writing parts of it when asked about it and said Aspen does not exist.

The document and its spread have become part of a wider effort to smear Hunter Biden and weaken Joe Biden's presidential campaign, which moved from the fringes of the internet to more mainstream conservative news outlets.

The Typhoon Investigations document was first posted in September to Intelligence Quarterly, an anonymous blog "dedicated to collecting important daily news," according to its "about" section. Historical domain records show the blog was registered to Albert Marko, a self-described political and economic adviser, who also lists the blog on his Twitter bio. When asked about the provenance of the document, Marko said he received it from Balding.

Balding, an associate professor at Fulbright University Vietnam who studies the Chinese economy and financial markets, posted the document on his blog on Oct. 22, seven weeks after it was initially published.

"I had really not wanted to do this but roughly 2 months ago I was handed a report about Biden activities in China the press has simply refused to cover. I want to strongly emphasize I did not write the report but I know who did," Balding said in an email.

Balding later claimed to NBC News that he wrote some of the document.

"I authored small parts of the report and was involved in report preparation and review. As a researcher, and due to the understandable worry about foreign disinformation, it was paramount that the report document activity from acknowledged and public sources," Balding said. "Great care was taken to document, cite, and retain information so that acknowledged facts could be placed in the public domain."

Balding said Aspen is "an entirely fictional individual created solely for the purpose of releasing this report." Balding did not name the document's main author, saying "the primary author of the report, due to personal and professional risks, requires anonymity."

Balding claimed that the document was commissioned by Apple Daily, a Hong Kong-based tabloid that is frequently critical of the Chinese government. Apple Daily did not respond to a request for comment.

In addition to posting the document to his blog, Balding also promoted it in far-right media, appearing on Bannon's podcast and on "China Unscripted," a podcast produced by The Epoch Times, a pro-Trump media outlet opposed to the Chinese government.

Balding, an American who taught economics at China's Peking University HSBC Business School until 2018, is often critical of the Chinese government. He made news this year as a source uncovering a global bulk data collection operation by the Chinese company Shenzhen Zhenhua Data Technology.

After the promise of a big reveal one day earlier, the document was also posted on the extremist forum 8kun by Q, the anonymous account behind the QAnon conspiracy theory movement.

On Twitter, the document was pushed by influencers in the QAnon community, as well as by Dinggang Wang, an anti-Chinese government YouTube personality who works for Guo Wengui, a billionaire who fled China amid accusations of bribery and other crimes. Republican Newt Gingrich, the former speaker of the House of Representatives, tweeted the document to his 2.3 million followers.

The document gained attention from disinformation researchers in part because of the image of the document's author.

Elise Thomas, a researcher at the Australian Strategic Policy Institute, first spotted telltale signs of a fake photo when she went searching for Typhoon Investigations' Aspen on the web. Thomas found a Twitter account for Aspen named @TyphoonInvesti1, which had posted a link to Typhoon's WordPress page that contained the document on Aug. 15.

The profile picture for Aspen immediately showed signs of being a computer-generated image that can be created by computers and even some websites. Aspen's ears were asymmetrical, for one, but his left eye is what gave away that he did not really exist. Aspen's left iris juts out and appears to form a second pupil, a somewhat frequent error with computer-generated faces.

"The most obvious tell was the irregular shape of the irises," Thomas said. "The profile picture looks pretty convincing in the Twitter thumbnail, but when I popped it up into full view I was immediately suspicious."

Thomas then consulted with Ben Nimmo, director of investigations at the analytics company Graphika, who noted the other telltale sign of a computer-generated face.

"One of the things he and his team have figured out is that if you layer a lot of these images over the top of one another, the eyes align," Thomas said. "He did that with this image, and the eyes matched up."

Other parts of Aspen's identity were clearly stolen from disparate parts of the web. Aspen's Facebook page was created in August, and it featured only two pictures, both from his "new house," which were tracked back to reviews on the travel website Tripadvisor. The logo for Typhoon Investigations was lifted from the Taiwan Fact-Checking Center, a digital literacy nonprofit.

Aspen claimed on his LinkedIn profile to have worked for a company called Swiss Security Solutions from 2016 to 2020. Swiss Security Solutions denied having ever employed anyone named Aspen, and it said it had found fake accounts for two other people pretending to have worked for the company.

"Martin Aspen was never a freelancer or worker of the Swiss Security Solutions. We do not know this person. According to our Due Diligence Software, this person does not exist in Switzerland," Swiss Security Solutions Chairman Bojan Ilic said, adding that the company has reported the profile to LinkedIn.

Computer-generated faces have become a staple of large-scale disinformation operations in the run-up to the election. In December, Facebook took down a network of fake accounts using computer-created faces tied to The Epoch Times. Facebook removed over 600 accounts tied to the operation, which pushed pro-Trump messages and even served as moderators of some Facebook groups.

Last month, Facebook removed another batch of computer-generated profiles originating in China and the Philippines, some of which made anti-Trump posts.

Renee DiResta, a researcher at the Stanford Internet Observatory, said computer-created identities are becoming common for disinformation campaigns, in part because they are easy to create.

DiResta, who helped examine a ring of AI-generated faces tied to the conservative nonprofit Turning Point USA last month, said computer-generated profile pictures can be used to "build an army of fake people" to artificially support a cause or to make "disinformation operations harder to discover."

"One of the things that investigators look at to understand the narrative that is spreading is whether the accounts are authentic, whether they're real," DiResta said. "If they were to use a stock photo, it confirms something dishonest is likely happening. By using an AI-generated face, you're guaranteeing you won't find that person elsewhere on the internet."

lol

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

the president looks more stoned than lil wayne

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I thought you were cool, Lil Wayne.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

gently caress that Crabapple

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Can’t believe the President would take a picture with a THUG!!! Better take to Facebook

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Remember when Obama let COMMON in the White House?!?!??!??!/1/1/11111ONE

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

smoobles posted:

Ilhan Omar is at the intersection of gaming and politics and she is a terrifying force.
I haven't heard of any of the games they were playing. Millennial politicians should be playing Quake and UT to properly represent my demographic :colbert:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Strong Sauce posted:

fennstein's office responded to me ranting at her about hugging lindsey graham and making amy coney barrett look good during her nomination in front of the judicial committee and of course i got a dumb form letter saying she voted against her nomination. obviously not even responding about why she was so nice to barrett.

then i searched my email. apparently this is the 4th time i have yelled into the void, at her. the others being jeff sessions nomination, chris wray's nomination, and FISC/Section 215.

the FISC/section 215 one was the most annoying because she replied back that she didn't think there was anything wrong with it and that as part of the senate intelligence committee she had not seen any wrong doing.

FUUUUCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKK

Better than appointed Senator fuckface McSally who hasn't even bothered with form letters in response to the 3 times I've sent issues to her that I thought were important enough to write my Senators. While I'm sure that Sinema actually never saw my letters herself, at least I got actual responses from whoever the staffer was that got them.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Remember when Michelle Obama had Common visit the White House to read some poetry and Fox News went nuts that "Obama had a thug violent rapper in the White House!!!!" :byodood:
Even though Common is super mainstream and not offensive.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

mobby_6kl posted:

I haven't heard of any of the games they were playing. Millennial politicians should be playing Quake and UT to properly represent my demographic :colbert:

first congressperson to 360 no scope in counterstrike 1.6 gets my vote.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

You were already gonna support them, they need the zoomers who only know Among Us, Fortnite, spicy mcnugget and vape

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage

Son of Rodney posted:

No, thank you a lot, this if faszinating stuff that I have zero connection with apart from watching South Park and listening to some dollop podcast episode about Mormons. I didn't realize Mormons were such a influential group in politics as I only know about them as the weirdos around salt lake city who wear magic underwear and have multiple wives.

It's also just incredible to me how someone can make up a whole new sect of Christianity and name his main characters Moroni and loving ammoran? And nobody thinks twice about it? I can just imagine Joseph Smith looking at a rapt audience and slowly upping the absurdity to see how far he can go. What other people are influential that I missed? Morondrew, Hugh Morondler and Morandlord Bonersmithler?

Xenocides posted:

a slimy politician named Amalickiah,
Amalickiah.
Amalickiah real clean.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Common is so inoffensive that he did a rap for the children's snowman movie Smallfoot

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Bogus Adventure posted:

Duncan Hunter 100% supported those policies, though. He's a piece of poo poo, and I hope Campa-Najjar wins the seat.

Duncan Hunter won even though he was already convicted of the crimes

They voted for him knowing he was going to jail. There is absolutely no hope for that part of California

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Kid Rock posted:

Cruisin' through town in my jacked-up truck/Eyes open cuz I'm scopin' for a big butt slut/One that I can take straight back to my house/And have her suck my dick and put my balls in her mouth

Noted lyricist Kid Rock, invited to the White House by.... the President?!?! There must be some kind of mistake.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Among Us is insanely popular right now, so it was probably a good pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum