Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Hmmm. Macrium only shows me 2. The primary and 400MB and something at the end.

After I get my kids to bed, I'll take another look tonight. Thanks for the pointers.

Edit: Well, not sure what's up there. I haven't reloaded Windows in a long time, so I'm gonna take an opportunity for cleanup and do a nice squeaky clean install.

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I'm personally guessing hardware failure. A hard format should always get rid of everything, because a full format flattens stuff right on the hardware level - you physically can't break a partition table so badly that it wouldn't be possible to just put a metaphorical magnet to the platter anyway. Your OS will just default to simply using the whole disk to reported hardware specs when it doesn't have to obey any file system that tells it to do otherwise. If even a full format can't get fully rid of the partition table, then there's probably something physically wrong with the write access to those sectors.

I get that sort of thing occasionally with cheap USB drives when they start to die - they'll let me do things like set up a partition, but not delete it again. For technological reasons it's easier to read from a solid-state storage medium than it is to write to it and the functionality isn't all in a single element the way it is on spinning-platter disk drives, so when an SSD starts to fail, it's often write-access first.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
AMA about migrating from free Azure AD to Synology Directory Services because it is still better than free Azure AD.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

Are you sure your SD card isn't write locked with the slider on the side (although that doesn't seem to be the issue here)

Gparted should work, but I guess we'll see.
It's a MicroSD card, used directly in the built-in reader, and I could also create a file on the FAT partition.

Haven't had a chance to try gparted. It's honestly probably not worth to continue messing with it considering the prices on new ones, I was just desperate because I ran out of space when travelling and discovered that my spare card was this messed up.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Is there a docx viewer that actually lets you do searches? (the stupid free MS viewer app does not).

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Cyril Sneer posted:

Is there a docx viewer that actually lets you do searches? (the stupid free MS viewer app does not).

As a user of ms word and libre office I would say that probably libre office lets you do this

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Wow... I'm loving macrium. I had to migrate my system from an old nvme to a new one and while i couldn't get the image restore to work and had to start from scratch, i LOVE that I can quickly fire up a virtual machine from the image! I forgot to export over my plex registry settings and rather than pull apart my computer to reinstall the drive (it sits under the GPU) I just hit a couple buttons and the old computer was up and running... really neat tool.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm reinstalling Windows. My Onedrive folder is on my data drive - has Onedrive gotten any smarter about syncing after a reinstall? The last time I did this was about 6 years ago and it wouldn't recognize the Onedrive folder as the same files so it ended up uploading everything again which was an enormous pain in the arse.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Medullah posted:

I'm reinstalling Windows. My Onedrive folder is on my data drive - has Onedrive gotten any smarter about syncing after a reinstall? The last time I did this was about 6 years ago and it wouldn't recognize the Onedrive folder as the same files so it ended up uploading everything again which was an enormous pain in the arse.

In my experience it's still pretty stupid. On my install-from-scratch a few months ago I must have clicked "sure, whatever" on the wrong dialog because it started syncing my Documents folder and when I restored my backed up data (a shitton of photos and Unity project data) it started crying about being out of space and how I need to cough up :tenbux: to upgrade my storage.

The syncing completely broke and I had to mass delete poo poo through the web interface to recover.

I fully admit this is all technically my fault but software shouldn't seize up like that. :colbert:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Medullah posted:

There are some cool new settings around on-demand files if your use case can support that.

Otherwise, I think I had some success a few years ago just copying the whole OD folder onto a USB and pasting it into the new User folder, then doing the OD app setup and it Just Worked. Who knows what metadata stars aligned in that case and whether it's still even possible though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

tuyop posted:

There are some cool new settings around on-demand files if your use case can support that.

Otherwise, I think I had some success a few years ago just copying the whole OD folder onto a USB and pasting it into the new User folder, then doing the OD app setup and it Just Worked. Who knows what metadata stars aligned in that case and whether it's still even possible though.

I said eff it and just reset Windows. Once I pointed OneDrive to the old folder it said everything was good. Last time it would have downloaded copies of everything, so it's definitely improved. :D

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Sorry if this isn't the right place but I'm due to get new anti-virus software for a windows PC. I've been using ESET and was wondering if that's still a good choice or if switching to Kaspersky is a good choice. Kaspersky allows me to have more devices at a lower cost which I'd like. Any pros or cons to either?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Oscar Wild posted:

Sorry if this isn't the right place but I'm due to get new anti-virus software for a windows PC. I've been using ESET and was wondering if that's still a good choice or if switching to Kaspersky is a good choice. Kaspersky allows me to have more devices at a lower cost which I'd like. Any pros or cons to either?

The only thing you're gonna hear from this thread is "uninstall all third-party AV and just use Windows Defender"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Oscar Wild posted:

If you're using Windows 10 you don't need antivirus, the built in Defender is better than anything you can buy.

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

The only thing you're gonna hear from this thread is "uninstall all third-party AV and just use Windows Defender"

heh for good reason!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Oscar Wild posted:

The only antivirus software you need on a modern PC is built right into windows. Any third party software is snake oil at best and actively harmful at worst. Save your money.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Because it's absolutely correct.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Wow, for real? That's really cool. Thank you for saving me 60-80 bucks! I've been so used to lovely windows anti-virus and firewall for years that I've been throwing money at it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Is there a way to print a PDF such that it only prints text, and not any images? And it retains the layout and formatting of the original PDF? And also doesn't cost anything? I'm interested in saving toner.

You've got to figure that a PDF reader would know what's text and what isn't, and maybe there's a way to view only one or the other.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 29, 2020

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I cannot figure out how to get goddamn network file sharing to work on my goddamn home network to save my goddamn life. I turned on all the stuff under Advanced Sharing Settings (except password protected sharing under All Networks). I switched the network to Private on both computers.

This caused my shared folders to show up under File Explorer Network but only on the computer I'm actually on. E.g. when I'm on my laptop I can look in File Explorer under Network and see the files that are being shared on my laptop, but I go to my desktop and I can't see the laptop folders (but can see the desktop files).

Then I changed my workgroup from WORKGROUP to Local even though they were both already WORKGROUP so it shouldn't have made a difference, but it did, and now I can see the Laptop from the Desktop but not vice versa. I've tried rebooting and logging out and in and checking all the settings under Sharing multiple times and unsharing and resharing poo poo and making them available to All users or just myself and nothing seems to work.

I can also see all the random poo poo on my network from both computers, like my media server and TVs and Printers and poo poo, but under Computer I can't see my desktop from my laptop.

Any ideas?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

#1: allow file sharing in Windows Firewall if you haven't already: https://windowsreport.com/firewall-blocking-file-sharing/

#2: look up the IP address of one computer (settings -> network -> properties) and try to connect directly by typing \\192.168.1.69 or whatever into the explorer address bar on the other one. if that works it means the file sharing is good but you still need more setup of network discovery or the router.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Oscar Wild posted:

Wow, for real? That's really cool. Thank you for saving me 60-80 bucks! I've been so used to lovely windows anti-virus and firewall for years that I've been throwing money at it.

Just make sure you use some kind of ad blocker on your browsers and ideally a script blocker. UBlock Origin is the best ad blocker for most browsers. Most viruses get onto your PC through some dumb banner ad serving malware these days.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Klyith posted:

#1: allow file sharing in Windows Firewall if you haven't already: https://windowsreport.com/firewall-blocking-file-sharing/

#2: look up the IP address of one computer (settings -> network -> properties) and try to connect directly by typing \\192.168.1.69 or whatever into the explorer address bar on the other one. if that works it means the file sharing is good but you still need more setup of network discovery or the router.

Yeah I always have mixed luck with "proper" sharing so I just got used to using IP address and setting up mapped drives.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

doctorfrog posted:

Is there a way to print a PDF such that it only prints text, and not any images? And it retains the layout and formatting of the original PDF? And also doesn't cost anything? I'm interested in saving toner.

You've got to figure that a PDF reader would know what's text and what isn't, and maybe there's a way to view only one or the other.

You should be able to load it into Firefox and turn off images. Not sure if the layout will stick!

I think any browser has this but Firefox does for sure.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
Why does Windows specifically require you to restart in order to install updates? Why not just do it at shut down also?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

qsvui posted:

Why does Windows specifically require you to restart in order to install updates? Why not just do it at shut down also?

You can choose "update and shut down".

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

astral posted:

However this does not actually install the update until you start the computer.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

astral posted:

Nope. I even just tried shutting down but it didn't seem like it updated.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

qsvui posted:

Nope. I even just tried shutting down but it didn't seem like it updated.

Haha, what the heck? That sounds like a bug to me.

Is this with something newer than 1909?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

SEKCobra posted:

I wish they had "Update and Restart and Shutdown" as an option.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

astral posted:

Haha, what the heck? That sounds like a bug to me.

Is this with something newer than 1909?

Looks like I'm on 1903 :)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

qsvui posted:

Looks like I'm on 1903 :)

I would recommend update-and-restart-ing to 1909 at this point; 1903 is only supported until December 8.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I think there might be a setting somewhere. I’ve had ‘update and shutdown’ as an option for ages.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

~Coxy posted:

I wish they had "Update and Restart and Shutdown" as an option.

Yeah, that would be perfect. But alas, you have to baby windows updates.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
What's the best way to run iMessage on Windows? My Macbook died recently and I'd like a way to send links etc to contacts.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Virtualize it in VMWare or remote in to another Mac

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

SEKCobra posted:

I imagine some updates simply have to be installed after the system is booted, but before it is fully in user space, so I think that's just going to stay unavoidable.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Cardiovorax posted:

I imagine some updates simply have to be installed after the system is booted, but before it is fully in user space, so I think that's just going to stay unavoidable.

It's not, they could just reboot the system until updates are done and then shut down.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

SEKCobra posted:

It's not, they could just reboot the system until updates are done and then shut down.
I meant that some updates just have to be installed directly after a reboot, not that they couldn't have an automatic shutdown after that is done.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

astral posted:

I would recommend update-and-restart-ing to 1909 at this point; 1903 is only supported until December 8.

I pushed the update and restart button but it didn't update lol. I had to do the update from the Settings card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Klyith posted:

File and printing sharing over smb isn't in the list of apps on that screen but I found it by going to Advanced Settings where you can enable/disable inbound and outbound rules and they were disabled so I enabled them. Thought this was it, it was gonna work! It did not. I can see the desktop under Media Library now though? What could make it show up under that but not under Computer?

Thanks for the help though I feel like I'm getting closer.

It kind of doesn't surprise me that the laptop is working but the desktop isn't. Network has always been a little wonky on the desktop maybe I should try reinstalling NIC drivers or something.