Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Egg Moron posted:

and I've been watching burt reynolds films from the 70s that glorify drunk driving

hooper is the king of this

https://i.imgur.com/ppHyfFe.mp4

Read the multiply-problematic lyrics of a chart topping song from 50 years ago

quote:

In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find
If her daddy's rich take her out for a meal
If her daddy's poor just do what you feel
Speed along the lane
Do a turn or return the twenty-five
When the sun goes down
You can make it, make it good and really fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Serf posted:

by episode 3 we get a classic trek situation with a classic trek resolution, and overall it felt good to see something that was unironically optimistic out of discovery. thinking back on it, tng and ds9 both had pretty rough first seasons (with the exception of "duet" in ds9, which is imo one of the best episodes of trek ever), so this may just be par for the course.

man duet is really good.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

ds9 had some legit good episodes, but as a whole it was just dingy and dreary and outside the rare garek episode the only thing that gave the show life was Quark; without Quark ds9 never would have worked

Discovery season 3 seems pretty good so far though as it has been able to shed many of the lamer trappings of star trek

Serf
May 5, 2011

Dreylad posted:

man duet is really good.

it sold me on the show. ds9 is the best trek out of what i've seen

also i decided to give that lower decks show a whirl and its fine for the most part. its a little more earnest than i thought it would be. the third episode is all about labor and buffer time

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

you should give Person of Interest a shot, its a recent show but manages to be mostly episodic w/ some minor serial elements, its good

person of interest owns, especially when it starts to really dive into the sci-fi implications of its premise

I like the neuromancer references with the pay phones and root’s storyline as well

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

lower decks is pretty decent. i think you get a lot more out of it if you are a big trek fan, which im not

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
"remember when" is the lowest form of conversation

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
As always, the correct action is to watch Babylon 5.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Action Jacktion posted:

As always, the correct action is to watch Babylon 5.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Babylon 5 has levels of cringe that Star Trek could never hope to achieve.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Babylon 5 was low budget but generally very very good and certainly more relevant now than anything Star Trek has produced in over a decade

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Wheeee posted:

Babylon 5 has levels of cringe that Star Trek could never hope to achieve.

Serf
May 5, 2011

that's not cringe, that's racist

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Cnidaria posted:

person of interest owns, especially when it starts to really dive into the sci-fi implications of its premise

I like the neuromancer references with the pay phones and root’s storyline as well

It gets really bad and dumb when the second, evil machine is introduced tho

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I just started watching original Star Trek. Far more episodes revolve around the dangers of horniness in space than I expected.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I agree that's when it started to go downhill, I'm probably less than a season into it. TBF though it's realistic in that the machine doesn't try to be evil, it just wasn't coded with any values aside from completing its goal, which in practice ends up being the same thing.

They definitely seem to try to lean into the dangers of unchecked technology, the nerd that made the "good" machine doesn't even trust it because he knows he just made it to pretend to be good without understanding what it actually means.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

babylon 5 is loving great

will always love it

I have the same kind of soft spot for babylon 5 as I do for farscape, just kind of makes me feel good deep down

I am rewatching battlestar galactica 2004 for the first time since it was on TV and it is really hitting a sweet stride in the middle of season 2

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Atrocious Joe posted:

I just started watching original Star Trek. Far more episodes revolve around the dangers of horniness in space than I expected.

I love TOS so much now after years of feeling kind of take-it-or-leave-it about it forever

it's so loving out there, i'm way into it

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I agree that's when it started to go downhill, I'm probably less than a season into it. TBF though it's realistic in that the machine doesn't try to be evil, it just wasn't coded with any values aside from completing its goal, which in practice ends up being the same thing.

They definitely seem to try to lean into the dangers of unchecked technology, the nerd that made the "good" machine doesn't even trust it because he knows he just made it to pretend to be good without understanding what it actually means.

It's not just the evil machine, it felt like the shows writing in general declined around that point. It became a lot more comicbook-y and fanservice-y. I remember one particularly bad episode when we are introduced to some special magical child that was the 'voice' of the evil machine, and there was a scene where the kid did some absolutely dogshit badguy monologue. Someone must have realized how bad it was, because that thankfully that was swept under the rug and never brought up again. There were a lot of confused choices like that. The episode where Shaw gets shot in S4 I also remember being very strange, an overwrought slo-mo scene with dramatic music playing. Iirc Sarah Shahi was pregnant at that point so they probably had to write her out of the show for a while, but it came out super awkward.

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Egg Moron posted:

i think I just really miss the poo poo out of episodic television

I have been watching a ton of old TV lately, miami vice, knight rider, magnum pi, banacek, colombo, rat patrol, all this poo poo and it is great, you just put it on and bam you're having fun with your friends and then you say goodnight and the feeling of resolution at the end is so satisfying

We recently did stargate sg1/Atlantis and Enterprise and it was great. Gonna do x-files next

Serf
May 5, 2011

the best episode of person of interest is the one where they send the turncoat cop fusco off on some trivial task he he ends up having a series of gags where he's getting into offscreen gunfights with assassins and falling in love with a european aristocrat. it was a rare bit of levity for the show

the actual best episode is episode 4 where reese tracks linda cardellini, thinking she's gonna get date raped by this creep, but it turns out the creep date raped her sister and she committed suicide so now cardellini is luring him in so she can take him to a specially-prepared house and murder him while leaving no evidence. at the end reese talks her out of it but takes the rapist to the house himself and the episode ends without telling you what he does. that one sold me on the show

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Wheeee posted:

ds9 had some legit good episodes, but as a whole it was just dingy and dreary and outside the rare garek episode the only thing that gave the show life was Quark; without Quark ds9 never would have worked

Discovery season 3 seems pretty good so far though as it has been able to shed many of the lamer trappings of star trek

All the DS9 characters were pretty good until the last 2 seasons. It felt like the dropped the ball on character development sometime after Waltz.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Read the multiply-problematic lyrics of a chart topping song from 50 years ago
In the summertime
When the weather is fine
You can drink and drive
And it's totally fine

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Malkina_ posted:

We recently did stargate sg1/Atlantis and Enterprise and it was great. Gonna do x-files next

oh hell yes, i did all of that recently too

sg1 and Atlantis are so fantastic

I started out being really irritated by Dr. Rodney McKay on sg1 and then he was my favorite by the end of Atlantis

a sort of ultra Barclay

Egg Moron has issued a correction as of 02:39 on Oct 31, 2020

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Egg Moron posted:

I love TOS so much now after years of feeling kind of take-it-or-leave-it about it forever

it's so loving out there, i'm way into it

it's an incredibly purple show

i love this scene of the mad scientist showing off his sexbot to kirk. big Elon Musk energy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbeyivYA7sI

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Atrocious Joe posted:

it's an incredibly purple show

i love this scene of the mad scientist showing off his sexbot to kirk. big Elon Musk energy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbeyivYA7sI

TOS loving rules. It doesn't matter how hammy the acting gets, the stories are either wild stupid poo poo or some great sci-fi. It and the Prisoner (obviously) are my favourite shows from the 60s.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Saw Jojo Rabbit and it felt like a Wes Anderson movie, only with less edge. It was funny, but Waititi carefully cut away every joke that goes against the message of "actually there was some nice nazis too and maybe we can just hug nazism away".

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Egg Moron posted:

babylon 5 is loving great

will always love it

I have the same kind of soft spot for babylon 5 as I do for farscape, just kind of makes me feel good deep down

I am rewatching battlestar galactica 2004 for the first time since it was on TV and it is really hitting a sweet stride in the middle of season 2

That sweet stride, with a few clunkers thrown in for good measure, lasts until a few episodes into season 3, and the beginning of season 3 arc is the show's peak. After that peak season 3 is then really hit or miss. Season 4 is then a lot more miss than hit, but even in the dregs of season 4 the hits are still incredible.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alhazred posted:

Saw Jojo Rabbit and it felt like a Wes Anderson movie, only with less edge. It was funny, but Waititi carefully cut away every joke that goes against the message of "actually there was some nice nazis too and maybe we can just hug nazism away".

That is absolutely not the message of that movie at all and it’s hilarious you somehow came to that conclusion.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Taintrunner posted:

That is absolutely not the message of that movie at all and it’s hilarious you somehow came to that conclusion.

The nice nazis are all killed, with machine guns, iirc

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

sebmojo posted:

The nice nazis are all killed, with machine guns, iirc

The nice nazi doesn't blow Else's cover and sacrifice himself to save Jojo.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The real horror of JoJo Rabbit is that the Nazis were human beings, just like us, with the same potential for inhumane cruelty, which should be a lesson to take to heart as Americans are currently living in a country with... *checks notes* literal concentration camps on the border

sorry they weren’t all portrayed as bloodthirsty sniveling dogs that could never ever possibly be seen as human beings in any way. this “critique” is about as embarrassing as the Robbie Collins meltdown as he proceeds to mansplain the entire film to his female colleague and whinge about how dare it not be Schindler’s List 2

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i liked the first act of jojo and i wish it committed to being a weird dark comedy instea d of going for the oscars in the second half

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there’s a whole subplot about Sam Rockwell crack-pinging and (correctly) going full doomer, it rules

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've started watching The Queen's Gambit

Good: there's a bunch of stuff that's familiar and authentic if you're at all familiar with playing high-level chess

Good: its portrayal of the 60s as not actually being all that great when they could have leaned into the Americana nostalgia

Bad: I'm not sure if I'm entirely comfortable with the idea that you need to be some kind of neuroatypical and/or substance-abusive in order to be good at chess

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Chess is boring as poo poo. Have they invented a chess variant where you can abuse RNG and information asymmetry?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've started watching The Queen's Gambit

Good: there's a bunch of stuff that's familiar and authentic if you're at all familiar with playing high-level chess

Good: its portrayal of the 60s as not actually being all that great when they could have leaned into the Americana nostalgia

Bad: I'm not sure if I'm entirely comfortable with the idea that you need to be some kind of neuroatypical and/or substance-abusive in order to be good at chess

it really captures the fact that everyone was on prescribed drugs in the 50s all the time, constantly, in quantities that dwarf illegal drug consumption in the 60s.

also later on it focuses on the soviet players and does a good job not falling into Evil Soviet Robots like rocky 4. like the fact that the soviet chess players work as a team and help each other is portrayed as a good thing

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tubgoat posted:

Chess is boring as poo poo. Have they invented a chess variant where you can abuse RNG and information asymmetry?

you can already abuse information asymmetry in chess via memorization of board layouts and prior high-level games as a means of knowing precisely how a particular scenario is going to play out and knowing how to beat it

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Information asymmetry not dependent upon idetic memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Tubgoat posted:

it's called xcom