Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Finished
The Third Day. I can safely recommend the hell out of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m watching The WNUF Halloween Special on Shudder and I just... don’t get it? I’ve heard it talked up for years now in horror movie circles, but so far it’s just boring as poo poo. And this isn’t a case of “oh you’re just too young to remember stuff like this”, I do remember poo poo like this on the local stations. But I went in thinking this would be something similar to VHYes, where it’s all an over-the-top parody of those kinds of local/public access specials, but so far this thing is played completely straight. Even the commercials are just totally normal (for the most part) and only seem to be in there to eat up time. And if the fault lies with me expecting parody when it’s supposed to be a straight-forward “found footage” style horror flick, then that circles back to the initial problem I mentioned in that it’s just so loving boring.

What exactly am I missing here?

Playing it totally straight is the entire point. It's presented as a thing that really happened. That TV station really existed. That news team really existed. The businesses and tv shows they promote really existed. Also, in my opinion at least, the horror elements are kinda the least important thing. The commercials are really what the movie is about and the Halloween special is the framing device holding it all together. They perfectly nailed the world of small market UHF tv stations. They also do a fair bit of world building. Things that are advertised get referenced throughout the broadcast. It's great. I love it. I can't wait for the sequel. I'm sorry that you found it boring, but that's totally fine.

I'll also add it had a budget of $1500. It's impressive what they did in my opinion.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I was in it for the found footage horror so maybe that’s why I thought it was lame.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What exactly am I missing here?

The promise of illicit ghost footage is WNUF‘s hook, but the actual point of the story is its loathsome dystopian vision of the 1980s.

The commercials are included to be critiqued, because they tell you everything you need to know about this crappy small town in Reagan’s America. This is why the story culminates in a reveal that the ‘ghosts’ were actually Christian extremists plotting a terror attack on the WNUF station. The commercials are all clues to their motivation.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Re-watched Hereditary on Prime, and boy does it hold up. If the movie wasn't horror Toni Collette would have racked up during awards season. I am sad to see there is still no update to what Ari Aster is working on next (he has said he may pivot away from horror for his next project, which I am ok with). Hereditary and Midsommar are 2 of my favorite movies in the last few years.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The promise of illicit ghost footage is WNUF‘s hook, but the actual point of the story is its loathsome dystopian vision of the 1980s.

The commercials are included to be critiqued, because they tell you everything you need to know about this crappy small town in Reagan’s America. This is why the story culminates in a reveal that the ‘ghosts’ were actually Christian extremists plotting a terror attack on the WNUF station. The commercials are all clues to their motivation.

Yeah but that's so obvious it's boring. I knew the ending as soon as they popped up. I get why people like it but I'm on the side of it's not an interesting movie.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I finished For All Mankind and I can definitely recommend it. (Apple+)

It's very much "family drama but with space poo poo" but the acting and writing were good enough to keep me interested. They did throw a couple of really interesting curve balls near the tail end of the season and it features some of the most thought provoking "what if this happened to astronauts during a mission?" scenarios I've ever seen. One in particular made me mutter "oh my god" out loud which I haven't done since the Pontiac Aztek scene in Breaking Bad. Give it a whirl if the subject matter interests you.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

david_a posted:

I think Babylon Berlin is a real mixed bag too. Parts of the show are brilliant. The production design is lavish and I enjoy the background historical subplot. The main detective part though... Season 3 ended on a moronic exposition dump from the perpetrator himself because he’s crazy and jealous, see, and that’s his motivation. So disappointed in that.

I was reading the last bunch of pages. so sorry for bringing this up from a while ago, but hard disagree.

The point is that the guy feels he can talk with impunity because it's 1929 and how can it ever be proven he said it? Which makes the reveal that Rath has a kind of largish microphone in his shirt, attached by a literal wire to a big bulky suitcase at his feet, which then has a very long and bulky wire running from that out to van on the street that has a machine cutting a sound record is one of the highlights of the series.

Anyway, I watched the Chicago 7 the other night. It's still Sorkin as all hell, with quippy dialogue, soaring speeches with soaring music, and the prosecution lawyer who's a good and honourable man who realises the injustice in the end (I don't really know anything about the history but I basically assume this is bullshit). But I thought in general it represented a surprising shift to the left for Sorkin. Tom Hayden is practically a West Wing character, the clean-cut, respectable and pragmatic face of the movement, but he's shown to be reflexively deferent to the system, less in control of his emotions, and ultimately less effective than the more radical and irreverent Abbie Hoffman, who the film clearly sides with.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Midgetskydiver posted:

I finished For All Mankind and I can definitely recommend it. (Apple+)

It's very much "family drama but with space poo poo" but the acting and writing were good enough to keep me interested. They did throw a couple of really interesting curve balls near the tail end of the season and it features some of the most thought provoking "what if this happened to astronauts during a mission?" scenarios I've ever seen. One in particular made me mutter "oh my god" out loud which I haven't done since the Pontiac Aztek scene in Breaking Bad. Give it a whirl if the subject matter interests you.

Was it when Baldwin opened the airlock with the Cosmonaut still inside?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Edward Mass posted:

Was it when Baldwin opened the airlock with the Cosmonaut still inside?

Very good guess but it was when Commander Wilson jumped off her craft and was scrambling to get a handhold on the fuel capsule before tumbling off into space. There's just something so viscerally terrifying about zero G stuff like that. The director even head faked the audience a little by having her bump away from it so I thought she was done for.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Aight, gently caress Netflix.

Netflix is raising the price of its most popular plan to $14 today, premium tier increasing to $18

https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/29/21540346/netflix-price-increase-united-states-standard-premium-content-product-features

And you'd think this would come with a streaming quality bump, right? Survey says... LOL

Netflix is about to up the compression on videos that are less action-oriented

https://www.imore.com/netflix-increasing-compression-so-why-isnt-apple?fbclid=IwAR3l7bi9AMX8hpsl-RNM-xCEpEtfemqdO3Rt7vKn4I1zWopvFRYyjEuCJJM

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Well i hope the three Americans who actually pay for netflix can afford that :(
Are Black 47 or Queen's Gambit worth a shot?

Seriously tho thank you for your service
Yall the real troops :patriot::911:
VvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvV

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 29, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'd cancel my Netflix in a heartbeat if my entire family didn't use my account...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

MasqueradeOverture posted:

Aight, gently caress Netflix.

Netflix is raising the price of its most popular plan to $14 today, premium tier increasing to $18

https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/29/21540346/netflix-price-increase-united-states-standard-premium-content-product-features

And you'd think this would come with a streaming quality bump, right? Survey says... LOL

Netflix is about to up the compression on videos that are less action-oriented

https://www.imore.com/netflix-increasing-compression-so-why-isnt-apple?fbclid=IwAR3l7bi9AMX8hpsl-RNM-xCEpEtfemqdO3Rt7vKn4I1zWopvFRYyjEuCJJM

A bold move from a service that is consistently swirling down the toilet, while other cheaper services offer better content. This honestly makes me want to just shitcan Netflix. I barely even watch it anymore, Hulu Prime and HBO Max all have much more interesting content. But I'm the one paying for Netflix in my ring of password sharing so I dunno. Maybe everyone will want peacock premium or AMC or something .

Netflix feels like nothing but lovely true crime docs, reality shows and bad dramas at this point.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Here's the thing: everything is going to get more expensive over time. Eventually, we will reach the point where people just want to see the last 15 minutes of the ninth episode of something, and they will find a way to sell it.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Edward Mass posted:

Here's the thing: everything is going to get more expensive over time. Eventually, we will reach the point where people just want to see the last 15 minutes of the ninth episode of something, and they will find a way to sell it.

Quibi 2

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

feedmyleg posted:

I'd cancel my Netflix in a heartbeat if my entire family didn't use my account...
:same:

I even pirate Netflix content nowadays since sometimes that's more convenient, but still can't really cancel

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Edward Mass posted:

Okay, cool.

You don't have to simultaneously do everything in your power to make the experience worse though. Like if I'm paying $18, can the image of whatever 2nd-hand movies and cancelled poo poo they offer be pristine and, like... not very recently reverted to some 2007-size bandwidth because gently caress YOU.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

reminds me of why I was building a plex home media server.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Don’t blame me, I still buy physical media.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
This Cursed Films show on Shudder is great until the second half of the episodes when they talk to a bunch of boring-rear end dorky-rear end magicians and poo poo that have nothing to do with the movie

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Unmature posted:

This Cursed Films show on Shudder is great until the second half of the episodes when they talk to a bunch of boring-rear end dorky-rear end magicians and poo poo that have nothing to do with the movie

Jay cheel said this will likely go away in season 2 iirc which will be good.

A shameless plug for the Film Junk podcast

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
How is Film Junk related? When I use to listen to podcasts, they were a weekly listen for me.

Edit: ok so Jay from Film Junk is the creator. I will have to watch this now.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 30, 2020

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Edward Mass posted:

Don’t blame me, I still buy physical media.

And I still get DVDs from the library! First season of Fargo I saw this month was a real nailbiter.

I can't see myself getting too upset if my mom cancels Netflix. "Oh no, I didn't finish Enola Holmes." Even my kid is like, "Let's just pick something on Disney."

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 30, 2020

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

feedmyleg posted:

:same:

They already raised the prices here in my country, last year. So I dunno if they're gonna do it again. :smith:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown is free on Apple TV for the next few days.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

What the every loving monkey gently caress is the WA 7009 error, and why the gently caress won't the prime pause screen go the gently caress away?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nate fisher posted:

How is Film Junk related? When I use to listen to podcasts, they were a weekly listen for me.

Edit: ok so Jay from Film Junk is the creator. I will have to watch this now.

Yep sorry

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
(Babylon Berlin chat)

Comrade Fakename posted:

I was reading the last bunch of pages. so sorry for bringing this up from a while ago, but hard disagree.

The point is that the guy feels he can talk with impunity because it's 1929 and how can it ever be proven he said it? Which makes the reveal that Rath has a kind of largish microphone in his shirt, attached by a literal wire to a big bulky suitcase at his feet, which then has a very long and bulky wire running from that out to van on the street that has a machine cutting a sound record is one of the highlights of the series.

I was referring to the episode before that one that wrapped up the actual detective show who-dunnit plot. What you’re talking about is more what I consider the overall background story which I do like.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Having binged two episodes a night and finishing "the Third Day" yesterday, I topped it off with "House(1977). I think im building a fever via cinema

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I watched the first two episodes of Lovecraft Country. While I can tell the show is quality, I just feel that it is far too confusing. Like I barely understood what was going on in Episode 2. To add to it, while I understand the show constantly depicts racism and the message of how whites are as dangerous to blacks as the mythical monsters, it all just doesn't mesh as well as it should.

Am I alone in this? Does this show get better?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The United States posted:

So is "The Witches" basically HBO Max's counterpart to Disney's Artemis Fowl? A movie so incompetently adapted and horrendously conceived that it's for the best it got dropped onto streaming rather than saved for theaters some years down the line?

I watched it, and I assure you, The Witches 2020 is a loving godawful film.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Pick posted:

I watched it, and I assure you, The Witches 2020 is a loving godawful film.

Is it at least comically bad?

I got some enjoyment out of Artemis Fowl having Josh Gad try to sound like a badass while narrating the whole movie.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Dammit it's two in the morning is there seriously another season of The Mandalorian out

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Well i hope the three Americans who actually pay for netflix can afford that :(
Are Black 47 or Queen's Gambit worth a shot?

Seriously tho thank you for your service
Yall the real troops :patriot::911:
VvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvV

Queen's Gambit owns, definitely worth a shot. I'd say it's one of the best shows of the year tbh.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Inspector Hound posted:

Dammit it's two in the morning is there seriously another season of The Mandalorian out

Yeah first episode is out today, new ones each Friday.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Junkie Disease posted:

Having binged two episodes a night and finishing "the Third Day" yesterday, I topped it off with "House(1977). I think im building a fever via cinema

I watched "House" based on the strength of the thumbnail image alone, and it did not disappoint.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
The Third Day is pretty good. It's strange though, I wouldn't have known this series existed if it weren't for this thread. There is no advertising for it and it doesn't even get represented in the HBOMax app very well.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Cithen posted:

The Third Day is pretty good. It's strange though, I wouldn't have known this series existed if it weren't for this thread. There is no advertising for it and it doesn't even get represented in the HBOMax app very well.

HBO advertised it heavily a few months ago, but yeah it's been oddly low key. I didn't even know Jude Law was is in it until I watched it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Roth posted:

Is it at least comically bad?

I got some enjoyment out of Artemis Fowl having Josh Gad try to sound like a badass while narrating the whole movie.

No. It’s boring and joyless, and the ending is parody levels of bad.