Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i saw a thing bitching about those moon buggies because they apparently went with recognizable designs from the 60s-70s instead of anything futuristic

it was kinda odd that they had open top moonbuggies but they had suvs on mars, where there was not an applebees

maybe no driveethru places on mars

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
mars has *some* atmosphere, not a lot compared to earth but a lot compared to the moon. probably enough that wind resistance and airborne particulates are an issue

then again, scientific accuracy was extremely not that movie's strong point

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

dAD ASTRAy

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

haveblue posted:

then again, scientific accuracy was extremely not that movie's strong point
they put a lot of effort into getting the hard scifi aesthetic of 60s/70s nasa and 2001 a space odyssey into the movie, and then the actual science was pure nonsense

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i dont know how anybody could be so dumb as to think alita would be a legit blockbuster lots of time and attention paid to its creation action movie. it was absolutely obviously an irl anime remake. good god

---

at any rate i watched andromeda strain last night and it's still exceedingly good.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I'm watching Ad Astra, I'm halfway through and just watched the space monkey scene and have a feeling that it was the high point of the film.

i laughed for a solid minute at that scene. its the most glorious shlock ive ever seen. but yeah, thats the only thing in the movie worth watching and the impact doesnt really work unless you watch the boring as poo poo pre-monkey stuff

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
it's weird that for a Brad Pitt sci fi flick, Ad Astra had abysmal marketing. I have no fuckin idea what the movie is about or what happens in it beyond what I've read just now in this thread

haveblue posted:

airborne particulates

fines

e: wow I've definitely read this wiki synopsis before. seems really dumb

e2: lol this line really made me laugh: "The entire crew is unintentionally killed in the ensuing confrontation."

indigi fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 28, 2020

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

indigi posted:

it's weird that for a Brad Pitt sci fi flick, Ad Astra had abysmal marketing. I have no fuckin idea what the movie is about or what happens in it beyond what I've read just now in this thread

that's because it basically has no coherent plot that i remember, it's just one thing after another

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So, "no kink shame, plz" (as the kids say these days) but aren't Candide and Cunegonde first cousins?

:shudder:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i bought my wife a chinese translation of dune, and now we're reading it together & doing the moves alongside with the main character, paul

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
doing every move and doing every move hard, but not that hard, because the slow blade penetrates the shield

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

haveblue posted:

doing every move and doing every move hard, but not that hard, because the slow blade penetrates the shield

doing them without rhythm though is ironically very hard for the rhythmically challenged

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

haveblue posted:

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I am reading dune for the first time. I always bounced off it super early when I was younger so now I’m giving it a go because it’s the one classic I never got into but always hear so much about.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
sticking my hand in the toaster oven to see if I can handle the gom jabbar

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"ce qui est dans la boîte?"

"pain"

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

haveblue posted:

"pain"

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
watched "bad taste" for the first time since like '93, only this time without the acid and crazy girlfriend. still holds up as a great piece of gonzo diy Film making

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

haveblue posted:

"pain"

magnifique

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

haveblue posted:

"pain"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I am reading dune for the first time. I always bounced off it super early when I was younger so now I’m giving it a go because it’s the one classic I never got into but always hear so much about.

I had the same problem with it, how’s this read going

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

SmokaDustbowl posted:

haveblue posted:

"pain"

That was pretty good.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
braindead aka dead alive was a hilarious splatter fest. nice follow up to bad taste

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Chris Knight posted:

braindead aka dead alive was a hilarious splatter fest. nice follow up to bad taste

I'M TAKING THIS MONKEY TO NEWCASTLE

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'd rather Peter Jackson have kept making insane horror movies

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'd rather Peter Jackson have kept making insane horror movies

anything that keeps him from making more Meet The Feebles movies is a good thing.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

quote this post if u liked peter jackson's the hobbit trilogy

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

there was nothing at all wrong with the Hobbit movies if you got up to get a sandwich whenever legolas or the elf girl was on the screen

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

or just close your eyes and think of something else

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

so man up and quote

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

peter jackson's the hobbit trilogy can go suck my hobbithole

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i reckon they could have made a bitchin' duology out of it

the fact that it ended up as a trilogy with far too much inane filler smacks of studio meddling

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Slippery Tilde
pete jackson apparently wanted to make it as two films and almost walked when the studio tried to push him into doing it as one

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
so they compromised and made three?!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

"pain"
It is by this handle I set my bread in motion.
It is by the juice of the plug that wire acquires heat, the bread acquires char, the char becomes a warming.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jabor posted:

i reckon they could have made a bitchin' duology out of it

the fact that it ended up as a trilogy with far too much inane filler smacks of studio meddling

i reckon he could have made one single movie, maybe 100 minutes long, out of that book. that would have been just peachy.

the rankin bass hobbit was 78 minutes and that was plenty

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

It is by the juice of the plug that wire acquires heat, the bread acquires char, the char becomes a warming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

The Great Bene Gesserit Bake Off