Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Hadlock posted:

If your wife hangs on to laptops for 5+ years, she might as well accept USB-C and adopt a USB-C dock and get over it, usb-A is not coming back

And for the few devices where it's not worth it to upgrade there are cheap adapters that don't make the USB plug too much bigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Harvey Baldman posted:

Looking for a hot take here -

https://www.microcenter.com/product/621985/maingear-element-3-173-gaming-laptop-computer---black

I'm trying to get a gaming laptop that I can also do video editing or 3d modeling work on while I travel. This checks a lot of my boxes, but is it worth grabbing one now, or is Black Friday a better thing to wait for?

Pretty sure that's a Tongfang chassis (they do a lot of system integrator stuff like Eluktronics). Tongfang are generally well regarded. Best to look up reviews on your particular model but thermally it should be above average.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'm settling on the legion 5 linked up thread https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08BB9RWXD/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I just have a question about the warranty. The Amazon listing has a 4 year accident protection warranty for 150 I assumed would be the same as if I got it from lenovos site but in the cart I noticed it's a third party (asurion LLC)
Is this a good deal/idea to get or should I just go upgrade the base warranty on lenovo's site once the laptop arrives?

E: well i actually looked at the reviews like I should have done before posting and they're pretty poo poo so yeah

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 26, 2020

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
why is everyone acting like usb a is dead when it hasn't even started to fade away yet lol

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Clobbermeister posted:

Thank you for the recommendations. The nice thing with PC is you don't really have to sacrifice to get a USB-A port or a headphone jack. There are a bunch of great computers that just have them, still. I think my wife's concern around ports is one part wanting to have those ports to use (so as not to have a dongle flopping around) and one part feeling resentment toward Apple for doing what Apple does.

That HP looks like the budget-friendly pick. Also looking at Lenovo's Yoga, T490, and Carbon series. I've had a T430 since 2012 that has served me extremely well and I'm awfully partial to them.

Check the T14, T14s and X13 too, they're all available with the AMD 4000 series processors that have objectively better onboard graphics than intel if she wants some very light gaming on a thin and light. The T series have 2 USB A, 2 USB C, headphone, full sized hdmi and ethernet (on the non-s).

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Hace posted:

why is everyone acting like usb a is dead when it hasn't even started to fade away yet lol

probably something like open eyes/a propensity to read threads

if we are discussing how you can't even get USB A as an option on two of the most well recognized / received laptops that are made, do you really genuinely think your post makes any sense?

the premise of the entire convo you decided to participate in is that USB A ports are, in fact, disappearing. this mid-gen refresh xps 13 from 2017 is either the dead last or second to last one they ever made with USB A.

its a port for 15 inch laptops and like, corporate machines at this point imo.

Worf fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Oct 26, 2020

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
you should look at peripherals that are actually being made, and the problems you actually have, rather than problems that might exist 5 years later

e: obviously usb-c is a rising platform, especially in the laptop space, but if someone's problem is "i need a laptop that can run usb-a and I don't wnat to run a hub", then telling them to just suck it up and deal with it isn't helping at all lol

Hace fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 26, 2020

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Hace posted:

Yeah I have no idea. The vast majority of mainstream chargers are still A to C and most C devices still come with A to C cables. Not having a USB-A is absolutely still a headache, even if it's reasonably easy to workaround.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The only non-USB-C device I've bought in the last two years was some lovely no name $25 wireless microphone for my wife's vlogging project, it uses a USB-A to micro usb cable to charge

It gets plugged into a surge protector that has a bunch of USB-A ports, because why would I ever use my laptop to charge devices in 2020

Even my USB-C devices mostly only have the port for charging; other than the rare external hard drive and logitech wireless mouse adapter, I don't think I've ever plugged anything directly into my laptop before, and both of those normally go through the usb dock anyways

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've used the A to C adapter to plug an external blu-ray drive to my XPS 13 2:1 which is like a whole other level of legacy at that point.

That's about it. I have a pocket 1tb SSD that uses USB-C, so it's not like I need A to do a thumb drive.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Counter: I use a wireless mouse with my laptop that has a USB-A receiver (do those even come in C yet?) I have two headsets that use USB-A to plug in (as do every headset on Amazon when searching for "USB Headset") and thumb drives are way more prevalent than pocket SSDs with USB-C.

So while all these things are workaroundable by buying new accessories or getting dongles, that is kind of a pain. Just because individuals anecdotally don't need USB-A doesn't make it an invalid requirement.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
It's still a bad idea to get a usb-c flash drive because most things that you use it with that aren't your laptop will probably demand usb-a

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Dongles are a superior solution because once you start putting legacy ports on devices, all kinds of stupid design decisions happen. That HDMI port seems harmless until you realize that it robs the displayport connection of one of the thunderbolt ports of enough displayport bandwidth to support the external monitors you want to use.

Simplified, unified, support and design is reason enough to go all TB4/USB-C on notebooks and really start forcing all the downstream device makers to adopt it.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
are you really going to compare hdmi to the most commonly utilized port on the planet

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The lower powered ROG G14 also went on sale for $700
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6403425

This is the Ryzen 7 4800HS, 512GB SSD and a GTX 1650, and I think the 60Hz screen. There's a subreddit around this and apparently this one can get you some ridiculous long battery life, and a 1650 is decent for lighter games.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I imagine the G14 would make a decent general purpose laptop at $700 price point given all the other features like a solid keyboard, touchpad and also the quad speaker design. The Ryzen 4000 series can also easily handle anything you can toss at it in day to day laptop tasks.

Ultrabooks do get much better better life (10+ hours) and tend to be a lighter if those are must have features.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Would i be right in thinking that if i want a 2070/2080 gaming laptop that isn’t a gimped MaxQ, i have to rule out 15in ones at this point?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

ROFLBOT posted:

Would i be right in thinking that if i want a 2070/2080 gaming laptop that isn’t a gimped MaxQ, i have to rule out 15in ones at this point?

Not at all. The Strix G15 has a full-boat mobile 2070, https://www.newegg.com/rog-strix-g15-black-asus-g512lw-es76-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834235464 as does some of the MSI/Prostar/etc types. https://smile.amazon.com/MSI-Leopard-10SFK-062-i7-10750H-RTX2070/dp/B085B3GFRL Keep in mind, the MQ isn't "gimped", it's clocked lower to give significant power/thermal improvements. If you're mostly keeping it docked and on a cooling pad then fine, but if you intend to actually play games portably the MQ is a significant improvement, because your 2070 is going to be sucking a lot more battery to end up thermal throttled anyway.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon on sale for $1200

Specs

14" 1920x1080 Full HD 400-nit IPS Anti-Glare Display
Intel Core i7-10510U 10th Gen Processor
16GB LPDDR3 2133MHz Memory (Soldered)
1TB PCIe Solid State Drive
Integrated Intel UHD Graphics
Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 802.11AX (2 x 2) & Bluetooth 5.0
Backlit Keyboard | Fingerprint Reader
4 Cell 51Wh Internal Battery | Up to 19.5 Hours Battery Life
Windows 10 Pro 64

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x1/X1-Carbon-Gen-8-/p/20U9005MUS

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

They also have an 15.6" Extreme with a 512GB drive (H cpu instead of U) for $1380

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

They also have an 15.6" Extreme with a 512GB drive (H cpu instead of U) for $1380

The X1 Carbon Extreme similar the Dell XPS has a discrete Nvidia 1650 Max-Q GPU so it's pretty decent at light 3D gaming.

The X1 Carbon is the smaller ultra-book model.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Lockback posted:

Not at all. The Strix G15 has a full-boat mobile 2070, https://www.newegg.com/rog-strix-g15-black-asus-g512lw-es76-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834235464 as does some of the MSI/Prostar/etc types. https://smile.amazon.com/MSI-Leopard-10SFK-062-i7-10750H-RTX2070/dp/B085B3GFRL Keep in mind, the MQ isn't "gimped", it's clocked lower to give significant power/thermal improvements. If you're mostly keeping it docked and on a cooling pad then fine, but if you intend to actually play games portably the MQ is a significant improvement, because your 2070 is going to be sucking a lot more battery to end up thermal throttled anyway.

Good point, I should have said i do pretty much all gaming with my current laptop plugged in so i'd prioritise graphics performance over power saving

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Hace posted:

you should look at peripherals that are actually being made, and the problems you actually have, rather than problems that might exist 5 years later

e: obviously usb-c is a rising platform, especially in the laptop space, but if someone's problem is "i need a laptop that can run usb-a and I don't wnat to run a hub", then telling them to just suck it up and deal with it isn't helping at all lol

The poster in question never mentioned nor isolated usb a ports as a requirement , so loving lol indeed.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Hace posted:

assuming she wants USB-A, xps 13 is a no go

wow no poo poo sherlock

I was just bringing that up as a possibility, before you made it the end of the world

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Lenovo is having a huge Black Friday sale.

Someone I know was deciding between Mac or PC laptop for video editing. They are considering this instead: https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptop...8-/p/20U9005MUS

of this:

https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro-13/specs/

Is there anything to watch out for with that Lenovo laptop? I think they would be happy getting the ThinkPad over over the MacBook, especially for the price.

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 28, 2020

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Good Sphere posted:

Someone I know was deciding between Mac or PC laptop. They are considering this instead: https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptop...8-/p/20U9005MUS

of this:

Is there anything to watch out for with that Lenovo laptop? I think they would be happy getting the ThinkPad over over the MacBook, especially for the price.

Carbon is pretty nice...I mean it's just do you want a Mac or PC

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah, you're getting a better screen on the macbook, a better pretty much everything else hardware-wise on the Carbon at that price point. But yeah, mostly "What OS do you want?"

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Lockback posted:

Yeah, you're getting a better screen on the macbook, a better pretty much everything else hardware-wise on the Carbon at that price point. But yeah, mostly "What OS do you want?"

I don't think they mind which OS, but in my experience Mac OS has been trouble-free, but I've heard good things about Windows 10.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

For people wondering about when Nvidia 3000s for laptops will be available / what will available looks like the specs have been leaked and the rumor mill says 2021 would be the most likely launch dates.

The spec sheets also calls out Max-P which I assume would be a higher max TDP for larger gaming laptops trying to get closer to full desktop performance.

G14 with a 3060 Max Q would be pretty sweet and I imagine even some "All in One" laptop like like the Dell XPS would get refreshed next year.

https://www.mysmartprice.com/gear/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3000-mobile-gpu-3080-3070-3060/

Lockback posted:

The main downside with Apple laptops is that often parodied "Apple Tax" but yeah it's more about which OS you prefer.

For people with more limited budget Windows 10 laptops have much better options, better specs especially with the amount of competition over the last few years in the sub $1000 pricepoint.

Windows 10 also has a bigger software library even though most of the most common boring software (MS Office) is available for both operating systems

etalian fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 29, 2020

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt
Ok, so I'm prepared to get some hate for this. I'm finally in the market for a new laptop. I got an MSI Ghost in 2015/6 that I've been pretty happy with, although the CPU fan is dying and replacing it is...unfathomably unpleasant.

I'm really out of date when it comes to PC hardware. I've always built my own desktops (starting back in the early 90s), but my current desktop is 7 years old (and is also due to be replaced).

My budget is not my main concern, and $2-3K is do-able. The things that are important to me:
* At least a 15+" screen, preferably 17". I suspect 17" is not very realistic.
* Higher res than 1080p (due to using it for work as well)
* Good gaming power (I want to be able to run RDR2 on it well)
* Reasonably quiet (unless under huge load)
* Reasonable battery life (not so much for games, but just for general use).
* Light/thin would be nice, but not my main concern. I want to be able to haul it around but I don't carry it with me everywhere I go

I'd use it for a combination of gaming and work, and the keyboard is pretty important to me. I always use an external mouse, so the trackpad is not much of a priority for me.

I've been looking a little at the ASUS ROG Zephyrus and one of the higher end Alienware machines, but I have no real idea of their quality or value.

I realize this is open-ended, but if anyone has some suggestions on specifics models that might fit, or even just something to narrow down what I should look for, I'd really appreciate it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Your desire for a large screen is something that'll help make everything else possible, actually.

Rog Strix SCAR 17 is probably my choice if there's no budget. You'll get ~5 hours on normal use and a 2080 Super which will be great for gaming. You can save money by looking at 2070s. Either way you'll probably want RDR2 gaming sessions on a cooling pad. MSI GS75 Stealth is also a good choice there, probably up to walking through which one you like.

Don't be afraid of the MQ GPUs. Those lose some performance but at a much better thermal/power usage. For a lot of these the non-MQ will hit thermal limits even on a cooling pad, so the MQ can be functionally faster.

You can probably look at 2070 laptops too if you want to save some money. That's still really fast for a gaming laptop.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Any suggestions for a laptop whose sole criteria is browser stuff and Sims 4? The cheaper the better, obviously as long as it's not garbage.

From what I gather Sims 4 doesn't run great without a dedicated GPU.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Any suggestions for a laptop whose sole criteria is browser stuff and Sims 4? The cheaper the better, obviously as long as it's not garbage.

From what I gather Sims 4 doesn't run great without a dedicated GPU.

Something with a 1650 and an SSD

Probably this guy:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo...p?skuId=6419028

Bestbuy has a kinda cool return thing going on so you have until Jan 6th, that's a nice amount of time to test drive/see if anything from BF shows up. Generally I think thats probably about as good as you'll find on BF.

The step up from that is probably ~700 for 16GB of RAM and a 1660ti, but that is overkill for Sims4.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
That one with a 1650* is considerably cheaper than I was expecting

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt

Lockback posted:

Your desire for a large screen is something that'll help make everything else possible, actually.

Rog Strix SCAR 17 is probably my choice if there's no budget. You'll get ~5 hours on normal use and a 2080 Super which will be great for gaming. You can save money by looking at 2070s. Either way you'll probably want RDR2 gaming sessions on a cooling pad. MSI GS75 Stealth is also a good choice there, probably up to walking through which one you like.

Don't be afraid of the MQ GPUs. Those lose some performance but at a much better thermal/power usage. For a lot of these the non-MQ will hit thermal limits even on a cooling pad, so the MQ can be functionally faster.

You can probably look at 2070 laptops too if you want to save some money. That's still really fast for a gaming laptop.

Thanks so much. I reviewed those, and talked with a buddy of mine who's more up-to-date and went ahead and ordered the Asus with the 2070 and 1 TB of storage. I think that'll sort me for gaming until I finally need to upgrade this ancient desktop.

Big Witch Hat
Oct 28, 2020

Good Sphere posted:

Someone I know was deciding between Mac or PC laptop for video editing. They are considering this instead: https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptop...8-/p/20U9005MUS

of this:

Apple is starting that processor transition so it might be better to wait if you want to go with Mac.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Also both of those laptops are 4 core only and multi-core performance is one of the main factors for video editing programs like Cinebench.

On a side note not exactly laptop news but AMD's Zen 3 desktop CPUs are planned to launch in early November. I'm assuming similar to Nvidia's new 3000s series we would most likely get laptop side parts in 2021 for the lower power Zen 3 laptop CPUs.

https://www.techradar.com/news/amd-ryzen-5000

etalian fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Oct 30, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I repeat the title of the thread I drunkenly made in another forum: What laptops aren't poo poo? My old Acer is well past its use by date and I don't think its battery really does anything anymore, but I've learned from that not to make impulse buys based on vaguely similar brand names.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Big Witch Hat posted:

Apple is starting that processor transition so it might be better to wait if you want to go with Mac.

I was considering that too. We ended up going with the Lenovo Carbon. We'll see how it is, but I'm sure they'll be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Would the onboard graphics in that Lenovo Carbon be sufficient to play something like the Harebrained Schemes battletech game? I need a new laptop and that's about the most demanding thing I can think I'd want to run. Among Us and Firefox aren't exactly taxing as far as things go. If it can handle more stuff that would be cool but is definitely not a requirement.

Alternatively, is that laptop super overkill for what essentially amounts to playing some games and otherwise being a video player/web browser? If so, is there a better option?

E: I'm replacing a T420 from 2013 or thereabouts, if that's relevant to the question.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 30, 2020