Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

IMDB | Wikipedia | TVIV: Starwars TV megathread - For discussion of Clone Wars, Rebels, Resistance and other upcoming live action starwars tv shows.

Season 1 Thread

Season 2 trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW7Twd85m2g

synopsis posted:

The Mandalorian and the Child continue their journey, facing enemies and rallying allies as they make their way through a dangerous galaxy in the tumultuous era after the collapse of the Galactic Empire.

Created by Jon Favreau (Iron Man), alongside Dave Filoni (Clone Wars, Rebels), Kathleen Kennedy, and Colin Wilson. The series takes place five years after the events of Return of the Jedi and follows a Mandalorian bounty hunter beyond the reaches of the New Republic.

Directors for the new season include Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni, Bryce Dallas Howard, Rick Famuyiwa, Carl Weathers, Peyton Reed and Robert Rodriguez.

The Mandalorian Din Djarin (Pedro Pascal) A bounty hunter who pilots the Razor Crest around the Outer Rim in search of fugitives.

The Child (aka Baby Yoda) a 50 year old freeloading baby

Greef Carga (Carl Weathers) the chapter leader of the Bounty Hunters Guild on the lava planet Nevarro.

Cara Dune (Gina Carano), a veteran of the Galactic Civil War who fought for the Rebellion, now lives as a mercenary.

Moff Gideon (Giancarlo Esposito) leader of the Imperial remnants in the Outer Rim, determined to capture The Child.

Cobb Vanth (Timothy Olyphant) The self proclaimed sheriff of a small mining settlement on Tattooine.

Glossary - Star Wars Databank

Mandalore - A proud world with a rich warrior culture, Mandalore is home to various clans, the world was subjugated by the Empire during the Galactic Civil War.
Beskar - Mandalorian Iron alloy, notable for its high tolerance to extreme forms of damage. Most of it had been stolen and hoarded by the Empire.
Arvala-7 - A desert moon where The Mandalorian is first sent to capture a bounty by 'The Client'.
Navarro - A rocky lava planet, home to an underground enclave of Mandalorians, The Client and imperial remnant and a hotspot for Bounty Hunters.

Whistling Birds - A guided flock of dart-like missiles loaded into the Dyn's wrist bracer.
Darksaber - An ancient lightsaber that serves as a powerful symbol of leadership to the Mandalorians
Camtono - A personal safe for storing valuables made out of an ice-cream maker.

Mandalorian history
Introduction to Mandalorians - Star Wars Explaied [6min]:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75lkpU6Kg1E

Mandalorian Complete Canon History - Star Wars Explained [4 min]:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woT-x2tyn4Y

Timeline
The Mandalorian takes place 5 years after Return of the Jedi and the destruction of the second Death Star.

In terms of Star Wars years, Return of the Jedi is set in 4 ABY (after the Battle of Yavin) and The Force Awakens is set in 34 ABY, which means The Mandalorian takes place around 9 ABY. This is a period of time when the New Republic, the democratic government formed by the Rebel Alliance following their victory over the Empire, has only a tenuous hold on the galaxy — especially its lawless outskirts.

Episodes
Episodes will air on Disney+ weekly on Fridays following the premier on the 30th of October 2020.

Chapter 9 - The Marshal - Oct 30 (dir Jon Favreau)
Chapter 10 -The Passenger - Nov 6th (dir Peyton Reed) | Discussion begins Page 17
Chapter 11 - The Heiress - Nov 13 (dir Bryce Dallas Howard) | Discussion begins Page 37
Chapter 12 - The Siege - Nov 20 (dir Carl Weathers) | Discussion begins Page 61
Chapter 13 - TBC - Nov 27 (dir Dave Filoni)
Chapter 14 - TBC - Dec 04
Chapter 15 - TBC - Dec 11
Chapter 16 - The Rescue - Dec 18 (dir Peyton Reed) | Discussion begins Page 201

Spoilers
:siren: Untagged spoilers will appear below this post, scroll at your own risk :siren:

----

----

:siren: Spoilers ahead :siren:

----

drunkill fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Dec 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Staying up to 3 am to watch dis. :whatup:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ballz posted:

They're late so the only option is to drink more bourbon.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Ballz posted:

6pm Friday-after-work view crew

Episode 1 is out, 55mins in length.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Getting error messages trying to play it, it’s getting hammered no doubt. Rest of Disney+ seems unaffected.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Disney+ says there's two seasons, yet the new episode isn't available when I go to the website. The only answer I can make from this is that Disney has made a terrible show and knows it and is trying to hide it from us, because they had characters I already knew in it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Oh never mind it's up now.

(Okay real talk, the first 2 minutes are a recap of the first season so skip that)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is just a loving WWE match in space

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
TIMOTHY!

And also Wormsign?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Continuing the Tusken Raiders being non-evil, great.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think this might be the most Western episode out of this whole Space Western so far.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Need a whole season of Marshal Raylan Givens in a Mando suit.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

that's a big fukkin pearl. you could make a lightsaber for a rancor with that thing.

episode good. I liked how in spite of the armor being a major plot point, they didn't hit us over the head with WOW THAT IS THE ARMOR OF THE LEGENDARY BOUNTY HUNTAR BOBA FETT.

Also I was expecting Din to give up his claim to the armor and say that Space Bullock earned it through his warrior spirit.

And yeah, love what they're doing with the Tuskens.

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
Dune 2020 was awesome, I can't believe they got the IP for it.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

banned from Starbucks posted:

Need a whole season of Marshal Raylan Givens in a Mando suit.

Screw the Ahsoka spin-off give me 5 seasons of Space Deadwood

Also I had a big ol' grin on my face when they broke the aspect ratio for the Krayt fight

also just the Krayt fight in general

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I also liked how they were using big dumb slugthrowers they probably scavenged a thousand years ago, and Mando's disruptor rifle that has hitherto been shown obliterating motherfuckers wholesale barely distracted the stupid thing.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Obviously the stinger at the end is terrific but I love how they're just reintroducing stuff that has existed in other parts of Star Wars into canon. Like the Kyrat Dragon. And the small shot at the end when they show off the pearl. In Star Wars expanded content those are extremely valuable.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"I don't know, but wish me luck."

*immediate Boba Fett*

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Obviously the stinger at the end is terrific but I love how they're just reintroducing stuff that has existed in other parts of Star Wars into canon. Like the Kyrat Dragon. And the small shot at the end when they show off the pearl. In Star Wars expanded content those are extremely valuable.

Yeah, the whole episode was a nicely expanded version of a quest from KOTOR. I almost expected them to show a half-buried star map inside the cave.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1322088697534271489

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So uh, at the end was that Temuera Morrison.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Nelson Mandingo posted:

And some other easter eggs:

Anakins podracer parts turned into a swoopbike, the R2 droid the Jawas offer to Cobb is the droid from A New Hope which Uncle Owen chooses before it blows up (notice the damage on the back of the dome) and he selects R2D2.

Sam Witwer (new voice of Darth Maul, Racetrack from BSG) making a background cameo at 13 mins in, pushing the barrels on the trolley as mando enters town.

Mando hits the jetpack, Cobb says it is busted and he didn't break it. Han Solo hit the jetpack in ROTJ and broke it.

chitoryu12 posted:

Yup. Boba presumably, had the spur sounds as he turned arouned and walked away, so not Rex.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 30, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That was the least "Star Wars" Star Wars episode out of the whole series and it was all the better for it. Having dual jetpack action was clearly indulgent but God I love them for it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

drunkill posted:

the R2 droid the Jawas offer to Cobb is the droid from A New Hope which Uncle Owen chooses before it blows up (notice the damage on the back of the dome) and he selects R2D2.

I didn't see any damage on there. The droid they tried to sell Owen was an R5, the kind that Peli Motto has that she bitches about being too slow.

Also, I just checked Cobb Vanth's Wookieepedia article. The story of getting Mandalorian armor is completely different from how it's portrayed in the show. Did he lose it and end up with Boba Fett's later, or is the show ignoring the books?

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Oct 30, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I love this show.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

I love this Spaceghetti Western.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Was Tim driving one of Anakins pod-racer engines?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yes.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I love Tremors, particularly Tremors 2, so that was fuckin great.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I mean I dont follow casting spoilers but I was pretty sure once they showed the armor that, the actual Fett would show up at some point. Theres only really 2 ways the Jawas were getting that armor. 1 is going into the Sarlacc and getting it, the other is if it was abandoned outside of the Sarlacc. Great episode all around

Was kind of disappointed with the look of The Kryat Dragon. I've always thought of it as having legs and not just being a sandworm which suits the Sarlacc more.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Oct 30, 2020

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Star Wars.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Hell Yeah, that loving ruled.

Love that people loving with Boba's jet pack is just a thing now

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

chitoryu12 posted:

I didn't see any damage on there. The droid they tried to sell Owen was an R5, the kind that Peli Motto has that she bitches about being too slow.

Also, I just checked Cobb Vanth's Wookieepedia article. The story of getting Mandalorian armor is completely different from how it's portrayed in the show. Did he lose it and end up with Boba Fett's later, or is the show ignoring the books?

The R5 unit at the dock had the damage from A New Hope. I don’t recognize the Jawa’s R2, but I really liked the color scheme.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Someone confirm this for me real quick.

We don't know anything about Mandolor in this era. The last we saw of it was during Rebels and all we know of it from that was Clan Wren was anti-emperor and got the Dark Saber from Sabine.

There is nothing else right?

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
Great episode. They changed the way Vanth got the armor compared to the Aftermath books, but frankly I'm getting too old to worry about EU inconsistencies.

Loved the details: Skippy the Jedi droid R5-D4 complete with damage from when the motivator blew up, the pearl, the podracer engine. I even think they threw a few of Obi-Wan's various Krayt dragon yells into the sound mix, but I'll have to check again, it was pretty subtle.

Absolute favorite bit though: The stiff way Vanth bowed forward when firing the missile at the miners. Definitely a nod to the old never-produced action figure.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Straight up forgot that it was rumored that Timothy Olyphant was gonna be in the show, so when took the Boba helmet off, I was like "well I'll be damned" and he was fantastic. I hope he comes back later in the season

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
If I could age half as well as Olyphant I would be so happy.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

Confirmed, it's Boba Fett. I hope this little shot isn't the last of him...

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I read the Aftermath books and I couldn’t remember Cobb AT ALL until I reread his Wookiepedia article

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Prediction: Mando will find out that Baby Yoda is the last of his kind (or one of the last with no future hopes for reproduction) and Fett will tell him about Kamino as a way to carry on the species