Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Oh pretty please, Disney, get Walton Goggins on this show in a small cameo role and have him interact with Cobb Vanth somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Gonz posted:

Oh pretty please, Disney, get Walton Goggins on this show in a small cameo role and have him interact with Cobb Vanth somehow.

"We mined spice together!" :haw:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
That was cool!

Subverted expectations just a little, since I thought Mando would decide Cobb was good enough to keep the armor.

Did anyone else read Aftermath? They seem to have retconned a lot of Cobb's story: Skimming over Wookiepedia he renamed the town as Freetown, and acquired a full set of Mandalorian armor, which I think sounded new and explicitly not Boba's. He also took in Jabba's beastmaster and wanted him to "train" an infant Hutt to act as a kind of puppet leader to help them deal with the cartels.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I think I've become too cynical for Star Wars, because all I could think about was how flaccid Favreau's direction is. The concept stills at the end look way better composed than the final result (don't know why the color palette is so washed out and grey either).

This is the closest we're getting to Dune this year, huh?

That wasn't Boba Fett at the end, was it? Jesus this is some fan-pandering poo poo.

Dark477
Oct 15, 2018

banned from Starbucks posted:

Need a whole season of Marshal Raylan Givens in a Mando suit.

You could always read the Aftermath Trilogy , thats where the character was first introduced

Dark477 fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 30, 2020

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Dark477 posted:

You could always read the Aftermath Trilogy , thats were the character was first introduced

In a few little side chapters which make up about 2% of the books' content, before anyone gets their hopes up.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Dark477 posted:

You could always read the Aftermath Trilogy , thats were the character was first introduced

But that wouldn't have Tim Olyphant who I'm unashamedly gay for.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Back to Tatooine. Smallest galaxy in the universe.

"It will sense the vibrations of your ship." :rolleyes: also I'm glad the super obvious plan of feed it a pack animal with explosives was the correct solution. How is mando now melted after being covered in the stomach acid or whatever? I can understand the armor not melting because it's space magic, but not all of him is covered.

As an episode, it was fine. As the premiere, that was weak as poo poo. I don't know how you have a double length episode and not advance the plot at all, but they pulled it off. It felt like a filler episode that should've gone somewhere in the middle of the season.

MasqueradeOverture posted:

That wasn't Boba Fett at the end, was it? Jesus this is some fan-pandering poo poo.

It was.

e: comedy option: It was Ming-Na Wen's character.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Oct 30, 2020

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Was able to sneak a viewing in before going to work today, holy poo poo it was amazing! Mando is back and all is right with the galaxy. Timothy Olyphant was outstanding and a much welcome surprise to the cast. Can’t wait till Mando comes back and rounds him up for the inevitable attack on Gideon later in the series. I hope he keeps the speeder bike, baby Yoda loves that thing!

Also looking forward to all the Star Wars haters coming in and trashing all the shortcomings each week.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
my man loves killing endangered animals!!!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

It is a western after all.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Sammus posted:

Someone confirm this for me real quick.

We don't know anything about Mandolor in this era. The last we saw of it was during Rebels and all we know of it from that was Clan Wren was anti-emperor and got the Dark Saber from Sabine.

There is nothing else right?

There aren't any further cannon plotlines no, but we do obviously know that the Empire conquered it and brutally repressed its people, even moreso than what was normal for them.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Hipster Occultist posted:

There aren't any further cannon plotlines no, but we do obviously know that the Empire conquered it and brutally repressed its people, even moreso than what was normal for them.

We know that they don't have the Darksaber anymore, and it seems to be standard practice in ISB to take the weapons of defeated enemies, so could be why Gideon has it. Although Rebels retconned that a bit to face-turn Callus

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

It was a filler episode, and the effects felt a bit all over the place, but I enjoyed Timothy Olyphant and love the Tuskens and Jawas getting more screen time. Them cocking up parsecs again also annoyed me.

That Boba stinger though, I'm so glad they brought Temuera Morrison back.

DurosKlav posted:

I mean I dont follow casting spoilers but I was pretty sure once they showed the armor that, the actual Fett would show up at some point. Theres only really 2 ways the Jawas were getting that armor. 1 is going into the Sarlacc and getting it, the other is if it was abandoned outside of the Sarlacc. Great episode all around

Well, we were told this episode that the Sarlacc is dead, right? That added to the plausibility of Fett himself being gone.

I think I've become too cynical for Star Wars, because all I could think about was how flaccid Favreau's direction is.

Yeah, this episode was fairly eh on a technical front except for the Krayt fight. It's a disappointing start to the season.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Well, we were told this episode that the Sarlacc is dead, right? That added to the plausibility of Fett himself being gone.

It was said that one of them is. That cave wasn't the Pit of Carkoon. Accoring to the EU stories, there are quite a few of them on Tatooine.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

I'm really baffled by this attitude of "introducing concepts and characters that existed in the universe, in a logically consistent way with other stories in the universe, is actually a bad thing"

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Hot Take: I enjoyed the episode and look forward to more.

This includes more Timothy Olyphant, Amy Sedaris, and hopefully Temuera Morrison.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

"Filler episode" get the hell out of here with that poo poo.

That was an amazing welcome back to the series and I cannot wait for more. This is through and through a true western with new adventures every episodes. If you didn't figure that out last season then you are too far gone. Who gives a poo poo about super arching plots.

What was up with the pearl? I haven't read too much EU stuff outside of the Zahn trilogy and the new CW/Rebels stuff.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The pearls are the result of Krayt dragons loving a long rear end time and little bits of sand or whatever getting caught inside and building up to a pearl just like in an oyster. There's actually been a couple instances of lightsabers being built with one being used as the focusing crystal

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

That was an amazing welcome back to the series and I cannot wait for more. This is through and through a true western with new adventures every episodes. If you didn't figure that out last season then you are too far gone. Who gives a poo poo about super arching plots.

What was up with the pearl? I haven't read too much EU stuff outside of the Zahn trilogy and the new CW/Rebels stuff.

Krayt Dragon pearls are apparently found in the stomachs of Krayt Dragons. They've popped up a few times in EU lore as either insanely valuable, of religious significance, or trophies that show what a badass the owner is for having taken down a Krayt. I didn't expect it to pop up here but was happily surprised when it did. The creators really do their homework on this show.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Krayt_dragon_pearl/Legends

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Holy gently caress that was definitely Temuera Morrison

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
He's literally credited in the end credits so I don't think that's supposed to be something we wonder about

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I didn't read the credits :colbert:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Captain Splendid posted:

I didn't read the credits :colbert:

Then how would you know that John Leguizamo is in the episode?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
A little bit of makeup and a wig isn't enough to fool me.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

When are the Sand People going to gift Mando one of their puppies? Baby Yoda needs a good boy to play with and protect him.

:colbert:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Vintersorg posted:

Every episode last season advanced the overarching plot in some ways, except for ep5 and maybe 6.

It's a filler episode in the sense that it's completely disconnected from everything else and could probably be put anywhere in the season without losing or gaining anything.

e: It wasn't a bad episode, it was just a bad episode to use as the premiere of the season.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 30, 2020

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
That had massive KOTOR 1 energy

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Cartoon Man posted:

When are the Sand People going to gift Mando one of their puppies? Baby Yoda needs a good boy to play with and protect him.

Absolutely not, the puppies want to eat the baby! Keep them away!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Every episode last season advanced the overarching plot in some ways, except for ep5 and maybe 6.

It's a filler episode in the sense that it's completely disconnected from everything else and could probably be put anywhere in the season without losing or gaining anything.

Every episode advanced the plot pretty much the same way this episode advanced the plot. It progresses the story of Mando looking for more Mandos. If he just up and found some in the very first episode, it wouldn't be a very good season-long arc. And it re-introduced the ur-Mando, Boba Fett, which may or may not play heavily into the plot going forward.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

e: It wasn't a bad episode, it was just a bad episode to use as the premiere of the season.

And besides the stinger at the end: with Boba apparently showing up, Mando carrying his armour around could be very relevant later.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

We have no clue yet how this episode will further the story, we tend to meet people in this show that come back around later.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

That episode was amazing. So of course I come here and see people are complaining that it's "filler" when most episodes of this show are largely self contained, and that's one of the things that makes it great. It's a Western where Mando and the Child move from one adventure to the next, and every once in a while advance the main "plot". It's about the journey, not the destination, and that episode ruled.

Anyway.

The Krayt fight at the end was absolutely fantastic. I never thought of them as sandworms, but whatever, Star Wars has always borrowed heavily from Dune, so I'll allow it. It was loving gorgeous. I loved Olyphant. Did not expect them to bring back a character from the interludes of the Aftermath books. And I am unreasonably happy to see Morrison back playing Boba Fett.

Just so deeply satisfying.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Phylodox posted:

Every episode advanced the plot pretty much the same way this episode advanced the plot. It progresses the story of Mando looking for more Mandos. If he just up and found some in the very first episode, it wouldn't be a very good season-long arc. And it re-introduced the ur-Mando, Boba Fett, which may or may not play heavily into the plot going forward.

It advanced the story as much as episode 4. 1, 2 and 3 were one big arc. 5 and 6 were entirely isolated/maybe relevant in the future.

I think it’s the weakest episode of the series thus far, controversially I preferred 5.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

It's just same old tired complaints from last season, lmao. What a boring opinion to have.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

teagone posted:

It's just same old tired complaints from last season, lmao. What a boring opinion to have.

It's TV IV what did you expect?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

TK-42-1 posted:

It's TV IV what did you expect?

I always forget what forum this thread is in because I only browse SA from my bookmarked threads.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Love that space raylan was referred to as "marshal" at first. He got a promotion from deputy marshal :allears:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Re: Cobb's backstory

Star Wars TV shows completely overwriting something from the rest of the EU is a time-honored tradition, both pre- and post-Disney buyout.

Also you can sort of handwave it away by noting that Cobb's backstory is told almost entirely in his words, so the stuff in the Aftermath book may have still objectively happened.

Also also who the heck cares, this episode totally knocked it out of the drat park lol

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Phylodox posted:

That’s why it should be a small puppy so it can grow up with them and learn to see them as a loving family. Think of the comedy/entertainment that could result!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
That was satisfying and great, I really liked seeing both sides working together like that.