Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So when do we get these fancy new PS5 haptics and adaptive triggers in a VR controller? If it's as good as people say I want it more than I want higher res.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

The Walrus posted:

So when do we get these fancy new PS5 haptics and adaptive triggers in a VR controller? If it's as good as people say I want it more than I want higher res.

you ever use joycons? its probably that but improved
wonder if those linear rumbles are the main reason for the high cost of joycons

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Turin Turambar posted:

PSVR launched almost three years after PS4 initial launch. So if PSVR2 launches two years after PS5, well, it isn't so bad.

Plus the PSVR-1 still works on the PS5. So its not dead.

Pierson posted:

I tried it and the level of jank felt unplayable. Like, not charming jank like Blade and Soul or Boneworks but frustrating.

I usually have a high tolerance for jank, so I grabbed it. Slow start but I think I'm just getting into it. I feel like this is an opportunity for a great game, but I'll probably need to mine to find it.

I love the inventory system though.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

SgtScruffy posted:

Any recommendations for good “experience” type things on The Quest 2? Like the Anne Frank House app was an interesting way to learn about a topic interactively. Any others that are more on the educational side?

Not sure if you have link or not

I highly recommend the Titanic one, it's great.
It has the sinking of it from the point of view of a passenger in a life boat and also a wreck dive in a mini submarine, the tour of the wreck site is genuinely quite moving as well, and very well done.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/741430/Titanic_VR/

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1490109271079729/?locale=en_GB

Titans Of Space was one of the first things I tried waaayyy back in the DK1 days and it's still a cool thing:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/468820/Titans_of_Space_PLUS/

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2359857214088490/?locale=en_GB

Also, got to mention Google Earth, it's incredible

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i'd quite like a good and preferably a bit gory shooter in vr, are there any?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Communist Thoughts posted:

i'd quite like a good and preferably a bit gory shooter in vr, are there any?

New doom is worth a look imo, as is Doom 3
Then you got Serious Sam which is fun

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

New doom is worth a look imo, as is Doom 3
Then you got Serious Sam which is fun

please dont recommend me doom 3 sir thats assault

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
What are some good VR Fishing games? That seems chill.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Lockback posted:

Catch and release is a good VR fishing game that is quite chill.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

I've heard VR makes Doom 3 pretty good though

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I have a secret to tell you.

Doom 3 was always good.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I know and I am with you, but it works so much better in VR it's weird as gently caress

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Lockback posted:

Semi comedy answer, orbus vr had some nice fishing when I still played it.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Is until you fall good?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Lockback posted:

I liked Bait! for what it was.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Skyarb posted:

Is until you fall good?

Hell yeah. The music is excellent and the gameplay is rewarding. It's a roguelike so you'll definitely be going for "one more level".

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

SgtScruffy posted:

Any recommendations for good “experience” type things on The Quest 2? Like the Anne Frank House app was an interesting way to learn about a topic interactively. Any others that are more on the educational side?

Check out 'Mission ISS' for an educational and interactive tour of the inside and outside of the space station (in full zero g movement!). In a similar vein there is the apollo 11 experience where you get to ride along the stages of the trip.

Also its not educational or interactive, but for some good experiences, everyone should check out Quill theater and some of the stories there. Now that the tool has animations and linking and dialogue and such, they basically have these sort of... VR comic books you can explore.

I hate listening to youtubers yammer on over the top, but this was some of the only video i could find to give an example of one of these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkEK0-TwkOI&t=77s

ishikabibble posted:

The full Index kit is still selling for >$1k on ebay. Is there a good reason to hang onto the Index and not make a bit of profit off the purchase and buy a Quest 2?

It has higher refresh rates, full range IPD adjustment, larger FOV, etc. I definitely have no complaints as far as performance goes and even the knuckles I find to be really comfortable. But none of the technically superior specs feel like really good reasons to hang onto the Index when fully wireless VR is an option. I definitely have noticed that I'm a lot more hesitant to do any kind of actual turning while wearing the Index because of the cable, and it just is all around pretty annoying to deal with.

If you are going to do this, you should at least buy the quest 2 first, see if you actually like using it with your PC, and then sell the index or return the quest. With the order time on indexes, you'll kick yourself if you get rid of it first and then find out you preferred using it.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Skyarb posted:

Is until you fall good?

very

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SgtScruffy posted:

I'm not sure if they're on Quest, but if you connect to Steam you can play 1943 Berlin Blitz, CAPCOM GO! Apollo VR, Buzz Aldrin: Cycling Pathways to Mars, Smithsonian American Art Museum VR, and VersaillesVR

All good and educational and FREE. Some are probably on quest too.

GutBomb posted:

Catch and release is a good VR fishing game that is quite chill.

yeah IMO catch and release is a pretty perfect arcadey fishing game, does what you want

If you want a fishing SIM there's at least two of those on Steam as well, but I think C&R does what you want for a chill fishing game.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Pavlov VR is 60% off now too ($10). I haven't tried it, but it's always one of the most popular SteamVR multiplayer games.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
How do I get Squadrons to work in Quest wireless mode? I tried starting the game in virtual desktop then toggled on the VR mode and everything went blank.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Baby Proof posted:

Pavlov VR is 60% off now too ($10). I haven't tried it, but it's always one of the most popular SteamVR multiplayer games.

probably the best pew pew gun game for VR, lots of custom modes

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zaphod42 posted:

Still bugs to sort out, and a ton of content to add and polish, but the core features on project light gun VR are mostly in place.

I'm calling it: Bullet Points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk262s8s978

my dude this is awesome. the sound effects are perfect for the visuals

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Inacio posted:

you ever use joycons? its probably that but improved
wonder if those linear rumbles are the main reason for the high cost of joycons

The videos I've watched have said it's a pretty huge step up from the joycons.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Yeah, for what it's worth I've seen multiple reviewers who were pretty meh about the joycons' HD rumble say that the new DualShock's works really well.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

The videos I've watched have said it's a pretty huge step up from the joycons.

yup! honestly the biggest advantage of the ps5 over the xbox so far, it seems.

design-wise the xsex is miles ahead, the backwards compatibility looks like the bomb, and i don't care about console exclusives (how many third person cinematic games can one person play) but microsoft hosed up with the controller.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

No matter what they do with the controllers, they'll never make up for keeping that hosed up unusable thumbstick layout on the playstations lol.

Let it die! its not a good tradition! You didn't do it for ergonomic reasons sony, you just bolted 2 thumbsticks onto an snes controler the only place you could fit them, because someone in the 90's went "oh poo poo n64 has an analog stick"!!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

the dualshock 4 is the controller of gods and buddhas and it remains to be seen if the dualsense can live up to that

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tom Guycot posted:

No matter what they do with the controllers, they'll never make up for keeping that hosed up unusable thumbstick layout on the playstations lol.

Let it die! its not a good tradition! You didn't do it for ergonomic reasons sony, you just bolted 2 thumbsticks onto an snes controler the only place you could fit them, because someone in the 90's went "oh poo poo n64 has an analog stick"!!

I used to hate it when I was mostly a Xbox guy, but after years of using it I have absolutely no preference whatsoever between the two, I use both all of the time, and I'm convinced the only reason some people think it's better is they have conflated with their own muscle memory with=better. I actually think Sony's design is better because it actually makes the Dpad useable for playing games, unlike every other controller on the market. I mean think about, there is nothing about offset thumbsticks that "ergonomically" makes more sense. It's just something more Xbox players are used to, and PC players because it's the most used controller on PC.

the dualshock 4 is the controller of gods and buddhas and it remains to be seen if the dualsense can live up to that

:hai:

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

More info on DecaGear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA7JKTtsSjg

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Romes128 posted:

Asking again for some help if anyone knows how to get Alien Isolation running on a Quest 2.

Start up oculus link or virtual desktop after installing mother vr. Then run the game. In the options it will now have vr runtime options so just select oculus. I think it restarts but then will be in vr mode. Its a little fanky on certain scenes due to it not being scripted to take head position into account and there are one or two bits you will need to use mouse to get through but other than that it all works.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

lostleaf posted:

How do I get Squadrons to work in Quest wireless mode? I tried starting the game in virtual desktop then toggled on the VR mode and everything went blank.

I press the steam vr button from the virtual desktop menu then run it through steam vr and it automatically starts in vr mode.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Do I have to do anything in game settings wise for oculus link or does it all just work? I've changed stuff in the debug tool but want to make sure I'm getting it right. Should I be doing anyghing resolution wise for instance or does that all get handled automatically?

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

I used to hate it when I was mostly a Xbox guy, but after years of using it I have absolutely no preference whatsoever between the two, I use both all of the time, and I'm convinced the only reason some people think it's better is they have conflated with their own muscle memory with=better. I actually think Sony's design is better because it actually makes the Dpad useable for playing games, unlike every other controller on the market. I mean think about, there is nothing about offset thumbsticks that "ergonomically" makes more sense. It's just something more Xbox players are used to, and PC players because it's the most used controller on PC.

:hai:

There are three ways to rest your thumbs while gaming, generally speaking.

For platformers and most action games, Analog stick and face buttons (xbox/nintendo layout best)
For FPS's and maybe flight games, Both analog sticks (wash, I guess)
For retro games, D-pad and face buttons (ps layout best)

I think it depends a lot on which kind of games you play most often which controller you find most comfortable.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

lostleaf posted:

In the Origin version, I was a able to play both Link-Oculus sdk version, and Steam version with VD. I just run the game, I had it in '2d' mode in the virtual window in VD, clicked on VR inside, and I saw the steamvr system appearing and finally I had the game in VR.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
The issue i have against dual shock layout is that with xbox style thumbstick "up" is aligned with extending your thumb, but on dual shock "up" is more like a pivot of the thumb. Also the dual shock analog sticks are super low friction.

The offset dpad on xbox layout isn't as big a deal because they're not analog and you can feel the dpad's shape so hitting true "up" isn't as hard, for me at least.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I mean, i haven't owned a console since the 90's so my experience is mostly based on using gamepads over the years over at other peoples houses for whatever that counts as. From the ps2 on up, before i ever even used an xbox, its always been uncomfortable. To this day i get cramps in my thumb within a half hour of using a playstation, I don't know, maybe i hold it wrong.

I mean my god! Theres got to be some reason everyone on earth outside of sony switched to a dominant position thumbstick once 3d movement became the norm. I'll give it credit though, the ps controllers are still great for 2d platformers and playing emulated older games.

boy this could not be more off topic, lol

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

iron buns posted:

quote:

“I think we’re more than a few minutes from the future of VR,” Ryan said. “PlayStation believes in VR. Sony believes in VR, and we definitely believe at some point in the future, VR will represent a meaningful component of interactive entertainment. Will it be this year? No. Will it be next year? No. But will it come at some stage? We believe that. And we’re very pleased with all the experience that we’ve gained with PlayStation VR, and we look forwarding to seeing where that takes us in the future.”

So no PSVR 2 in 2021. The author is guessing late 2022. Seems like a missed opportunity to me.

Boy, this definitely sounds like a company that has big exciting plans for VR content, huh. Can't wait to see the, uh, meaningful component of interactive entertainment Sony have in store... at, um, some stage... this year? No. Next year? No. But definitely at, uhm, at some point in the future. We believe in it, though, that's for sure.

I mean, I'd love to be shown wrong (I own a PSVR and had a couple of months of decent use out of it), but if Sony genuinely want to get into VR content in a big way, I don't really think they've got two years before they're left behind.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Let’s pretend I’m not going to watch 2 hours of this. Sum it up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

God boys Super Hot VR is wild, is it worth the price seems like thin on content?

Also how long does it take for Valve to contact you for the index order?