Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterOSkillio
Aug 27, 2003
I was looking at a different bike in my last thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3945599

Long story short, I was trying to help a friend look for a bike and while I was looking for her I saw a Ducati cafe racer that of course lead me to start thinking on selling my bike and getting something different. I got a 2008 sv650 in 2013 for $2.2k it was my first bike I got an amazing deal on it. It was a few blocks away from where I work, so I was able to go see and ride it with ease. Now that I am looking again I have seen some bikes that are pretty far away that could be potentially awesome deals assuming that the pics of them aren't fake and they don't have any glaring mechanical issues.

So that brings me to my main question, have any goons here bought bikes long distance? I mean long enough distance where you wouldn't want to drive out to look at the bike yourself. Did you pay a person to look at it for you? Assuming in the near future after I have ridden a few bikes and I have a definite "this is the bike I want" decision made but I see something that is farther away then I would like to go, there's not a comparable deal close by, and I have ridden this type of bike, I am sure that this is the one I want, what is the general procedure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

MasterOSkillio posted:

I was looking at a different bike in my last thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3945599

Long story short, I was trying to help a friend look for a bike and while I was looking for her I saw a Ducati cafe racer that of course lead me to start thinking on selling my bike and getting something different. I got a 2008 sv650 in 2013 for $2.2k it was my first bike I got an amazing deal on it. It was a few blocks away from where I work, so I was able to go see and ride it with ease. Now that I am looking again I have seen some bikes that are pretty far away that could be potentially awesome deals assuming that the pics of them aren't fake and they don't have any glaring mechanical issues.

So that brings me to my main question, have any goons here bought bikes long distance? I mean long enough distance where you wouldn't want to drive out to look at the bike yourself. Did you pay a person to look at it for you? Assuming in the near future after I have ridden a few bikes and I have a definite "this is the bike I want" decision made but I see something that is farther away then I would like to go, there's not a comparable deal close by, and I have ridden this type of bike, I am sure that this is the one I want, what is the general procedure?

I've bought long distance from a dealer twice and had them ship it. Never private party though.

MasterOSkillio
Aug 27, 2003

builds character posted:

I've bought long distance from a dealer twice and had them ship it. Never private party though.

Most likely this will be private party sale, but just so I have all bases covered if it isn't, assuming you didn't buy a new bike with a warranty how did you check it out? was there some sort of agreement that you had with them as a contingency for if anything was broken (not by the shipper) when it got to you?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

MasterOSkillio posted:

Most likely this will be private party sale, but just so I have all bases covered if it isn't, assuming you didn't buy a new bike with a warranty how did you check it out? was there some sort of agreement that you had with them as a contingency for if anything was broken (not by the shipper) when it got to you?

One I bought new so had a warranty. One I bought used and I had them start it up, ride it around and shift through the gears for me and send me the video. No, no contingency. Even with shipping it was like 2 grand cheaper than I could find one elsewhere so I figured it was worth it.

I think I wouldn't buy one private party if someone didn't look at it for me. Maybe someone on here lives close by and could do it? Otherwise, I'd look for local garages and call them and see if the owner could bring it in if they'd give it a once over for you.

MasterOSkillio
Aug 27, 2003

builds character posted:

One I bought new so had a warranty. One I bought used and I had them start it up, ride it around and shift through the gears for me and send me the video. No, no contingency. Even with shipping it was like 2 grand cheaper than I could find one elsewhere so I figured it was worth it.

I think I wouldn't buy one private party if someone didn't look at it for me. Maybe someone on here lives close by and could do it? Otherwise, I'd look for local garages and call them and see if the owner could bring it in if they'd give it a once over for you.

That sounds like solid advice thanks!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The only good experiences I've had going long distance to buy a bike have been from CA members here. And it's been great. The other two times were awful. No matter how many times you ask about condition and rust, you'll show up to something that isn't even worth scrap. The toothless wonder will stand there with a grin because he thinks you won't walk. I walked both times and I'll never go long distance for a private sale again.

Someone here has a story of chucking the guys car keys into a river before leaving they were so infuriated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Keythrower please come tell that story because I want to hear it lol