Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

My cx48 arrives tomorrow to pair with my 3090, but the desk I had custom built has no ETA because the guy making it has no power from Zeta and has been hit my multiple hurricanes since I ordered.

For anyone in here with the cx48, how does it compare to the larger oleds in terms of being terrifying to move. I'm trying to decide if I should open it up and make sure it's ok and start breaking it in on the old media console which would require me moving it twice when the desk gets here, or leaving it in the box and rolling the dice that he'll get power back within a couple of days to finish it up and it's not damaged and I can swap if there are issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

The CX48 without the stand is like 31-33lbs and 40lbs with the stand. Not too bad. I managed to unpack it and mount it on the wall by myself but with a friend it would be a breeze. I guess what I'm saying is I wish I had friends. Thanks, COVID

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

How bad of a visual downgrade would it be to hook up a PS5 to a 1440p monitor? I prefer gaming at my desk these days and Sony allegedly still isn’t supporting 1440p output from the console.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I don't think we're 100% sure whether or not the PS5 can output 1440p yet, the PS4 couldn't but the PS5 embargo for software features hasn't dropped yet so nobody can say.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

repiv posted:

I don't think we're 100% sure whether or not the PS5 can output 1440p yet, the PS4 couldn't but the PS5 embargo for software features hasn't dropped yet so nobody can say.

According to some sources, it will: https://www.kitguru.net/peripherals/monitors/mustafa-mahmoud/the-playstation-5-will-finally-support-1440p-monitors/

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

benq updated the website to remove mention of it

lol they specifically deleted the line: "If you’re interested in high frame rates, you may want to consider a good QHD gaming monitor, as 1440p will be supported by the PS5 with a higher likelihood of 120Hz in that resolution." so doesn't look good.

shrike82 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 30, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
I'd suspect that's based on a "not authorized to speak about feature sets that Sony hasn't confirmed" deal. It would be wildly odd to drop a console that supports both 1080p and 4k, but not 1440p.

e; not to say that Sony hasn't made some wildly odd decisions in the past, mind.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

The PS4 Pro doesn't support it while the One X does so Sony hasn't been great about it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

DrDork posted:

It would be wildly odd to drop a console that supports both 1080p and 4k, but not 1440p.

Sony did exactly that with the PS4 Pro though :shrug:

The XB1X/XB1S could do 1440p however

e;fb

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
However, AFAIK very few games actually output in 1440p, so really you're just getting the internal AMD scaling from 1080p or possibly 4k rather than the monitor scaling from 1080p. I don't really expect this to change. It's unfortunate.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

K8.0 posted:

However, AFAIK very few games actually output in 1440p, so really you're just getting the internal AMD scaling from 1080p or possibly 4k rather than the monitor scaling from 1080p. I don't really expect this to change. It's unfortunate.

I think we might see more games with internal renders of 1440p and then upscaled to hit 4k output with the next-gen consoles; there was no real point for 1440p rendering with the current-gen ones outside a small handful of games, since they were so power limited.

It would be nice if Sony would come out and say for sure one way or another, but I also suppose that true 1440p output is probably a bit niche as far as Sony is concerned.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Even if it's a messy roundabout solution like the game rendering at 1440p, upscaling to 4k, and the system downscaling it back to 1440p for output that's still preferable to being stuck with 1080p output upscaled to 1440p by the monitor

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

terrorist ambulance posted:

Has anyone actually been playing at 4k w/ the 3080? I found a place shipping LG CX 48s in Canada but I'm a bit sketched out by benchmarks showing that graphically demanding games are already pushing the 3080 to <60FPS at highest quality settings at 4K. Higher framerate / graphical quality at a lower resolution versus lower frames and settings at a higher one...

control with everything maxed and all rtx options is dipping below 60 for me. rtx is also the option that would most benefit from being on an oled. so i would wait to see some of the newer games and their benchmarks.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Hows 4k vs 1440p for productivity?

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Some Goon posted:

Hows 4k vs 1440p for productivity?

On windows, 4k is kind of a disaster because the scaling is really rough. Unless you get a lg tv as a monitor and use it native, a 1440p (or even better 1600) ultrawide would be a lot better.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Resolution, in a normal desktop usage scenario, kind of goes hand in hand with size and viewing distance to find your preferred PPI.

For most people it seems that these are generally accepted combinations:
* 24" FHD
* 27" QHD
* 32" or higher UHD

That's around the 90-100 PPI range. Any higher than that and you'll need to scale, which is hit or miss. For me it's unacceptable. Any lower than that and you might experience a blurry image. This may also depend on the quality of your eyesight.

I personally don't understand the 4k craze for monitors. Games are lower frame rate, apps and windows don't scale well consistently.

Sure there are more specific use cases which I completely understand, but the typical consumer should just stick to the "regular" PPI for their needs.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I've got a 24" and 27" fhd monitor currently. The issues with 1080p at 27" are imo vastly overstated, the text is every so slightly fuzzier and in like games and stuff it's not even noticable. But I would like to have more cells / rows on screen at once, which a larger 1080p monitor doesn't help at all with, so I was going to ditch the 24" for a higher res portrait mode monitor. With 1440p I could double dip and get a nice gaming monitor too, but I don't game on a monitor much at all presently, 4k might be cheaper and I would think could have more stuff on screen, but if the implementation is bad then it doesn't really help.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

People talk about windows scaling being bad but that's really not true. Windows scaling is fine. What's bad is some lovely apps. If you search online and nothing you need for work has bad scaling support, then going to 4k is a no brainer and a definite upgrade.

You're just going to have to choose whether you want the extra resolution or a good gaming monitor. Unless you're planning on changing up how your gaming it seems pretty clear-cut. Even when you spend resolution on scaling, what you'll find is that you can read smaller text because it's more clear and/or you work better because higher resolution is easier on your eyes.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

K8.0 posted:

People talk about windows scaling being bad but that's really not true. Windows scaling is fine. What's bad is some lovely apps.

Yeah, sorry, what I meant was the software support is not good enough. I assume Adobe has finally fixed their poo poo but other stuff like Clip Paint Studio is still just 2x-ed instead of native.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Yeah, I do mostly Excel, Word, Outlook, etc. all day (along with some random other softwares/web interfaces) and I used to run 3x 1080p monitors; swapping a 1080p for a 4k doubled my real estate basically. Now instead of 3 1080p windows open, I can have 6. Or two portraits on the 4k. Or two EXTREMELY WIDE spreadsheets (top and bottom split).

4k for productivity owns, in my experience.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I found a place locally that will rent a calibrator for a day for like $15 so I'm gonna do it. They have two devices: X-RITE I1 STUDIO, and COLORMUNKI PHOTO, I have zero experience with either but the former is marginally more expensive so I assume it's better? :downs:

Since this Dell is wide gamut, I guess I would have to calibrate it twice, for P3 and sRGB and make two profiles so I could then switch as necessary? Hopefully the calibrating software makes it simple enough for an idiot.

Zarin posted:

Yeah, I do mostly Excel, Word, Outlook, etc. all day (along with some random other softwares/web interfaces) and I used to run 3x 1080p monitors; swapping a 1080p for a 4k doubled my real estate basically. Now instead of 3 1080p windows open, I can have 6. Or two portraits on the 4k. Or two EXTREMELY WIDE spreadsheets (top and bottom split).

4k for productivity owns, in my experience.
4K at 32" should be usable for most people without scaling. It'd be great for work which is what I need mine mostly, and for games you can scale up either with DLSS or just integer doubling in the worst case if you can't run at native resolution. The reason I got a 1440p one for now is that none had >120hz, VRR (and HDR) at a reasonable price so far. And seeing how black levels and contrast haven't gotten much better since my U2311, at this point I think I'd want an OLED anyway.

Some Goon posted:

I've got a 24" and 27" fhd monitor currently. The issues with 1080p at 27" are imo vastly overstated, the text is every so slightly fuzzier and in like games and stuff it's not even noticable. But I would like to have more cells / rows on screen at once, which a larger 1080p monitor doesn't help at all with, so I was going to ditch the 24" for a higher res portrait mode monitor. With 1440p I could double dip and get a nice gaming monitor too, but I don't game on a monitor much at all presently, 4k might be cheaper and I would think could have more stuff on screen, but if the implementation is bad then it doesn't really help.
I now have a 23" fhd and 27" 1440p side by side, and the 23" now looks pretty bad in terms of details, and that's a difference of about only ~20 DPI. I'm sure it's possible to get used to 27" 1080p but IMO that would be... not optimal.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Can displays swap between SRBG and DCI P3? I thought the panel would be one or the other? Didn’t realize you could do separate color profiles for gamut ranges in a single monitor.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Oct 31, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently some can and just have a separate sRGB mode, but this one doesn't unfortunately. I really have no clue about this stuff because I've only ever had standard gamut monitors, but I think that it should be pretty easy to just scale the values to make them look like what they should. Like if in P3 255,0,0 is eye-watering red, just scale it down to 220,0,0 so it shows up like on a normal monitor. I guess at the expense of some resolution.

Or maybe I'll stick with P3 and screw the losers that don't have it.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

B-Mac posted:

Can displays swap between SRBG and DCI P3? I thought the panel would be one or the other? Didn’t realize you could do separate color profiles for gamut ranges in a single monitor.

DCI P3 is bigger than sRGB, so most monitors featuring a high % DCI P3 coverage can be adjusted down to match sRGB and this is generally how you would want to use the display if you were doing anything color important with it. sRGB displays on the other hand cannot be increased to cover the larger DCI P3. Some marketing can be misleading though, for instance a display that says something like 72% DCI P3 coverage (or something in that neighborhood I forget the exact number) is really just a sRGB display by a different name because around that % DCI P3 is identical to 100% sRGB.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
so I got my LG 83whateveramazonthing and really like it! a few first impressions:

* the default colors seemed super loving warm compared to my Dell U2412M. I kicked it down from the default "Warm" to the "Medium" color temp. I have no idea how color temp relates to "accuracy," but now my solid-color BG looks sort of close between the two monitors, instead of like two completely separate colors. I did see there's a separate mode option for "sRGB," but that locks down the color temp option and leaves it far warmer than I'd like :(

* the OSC is super easy to use, even if it looks very silly

* sadly, my 1060 is really struggling to push 1440p. I'm able to stay at 60+ just fine in Destiny by kicking things down from high to medium, but Doom Eternal, a game that I always thought of as being optimized by arcane magic, seems to refuse to put out 60fps at 1440p, which is a bit of a bummer. I wonder if this is why 1070s and 1080s have been selling for a ton lately - people upgrading to 1440/144hz and realizing their 1060s can't handle it, but not wanting to pay 2xxx prices and not being able to get their hands on a 3xxx

* otoh, Gsync is pretty magical. like, it doesn't do any thing to really solve the problem of games "looking less than 60fps," but what it does is smooth it out enough so input doesn't feel laggy at all when it dips, which is impressive in its own right

* while I'm probably going to switch to a monitor arm once my new desk arrives next week, I'm very impressed by how sturdy the stand is, and how high it up it goes! my UltraSharp's stand always had a wobble when it was at the highest setting, but this one is stable no matter how forcefully I type :v:

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 31, 2020

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

TheDK posted:

Resolution, in a normal desktop usage scenario, kind of goes hand in hand with size and viewing distance to find your preferred PPI.

For most people it seems that these are generally accepted combinations:
* 24" FHD
* 27" QHD
* 32" or higher UHD

That's around the 90-100 PPI range. Any higher than that and you'll need to scale, which is hit or miss. For me it's unacceptable. Any lower than that and you might experience a blurry image. This may also depend on the quality of your eyesight.

I personally don't understand the 4k craze for monitors. Games are lower frame rate, apps and windows don't scale well consistently.

Sure there are more specific use cases which I completely understand, but the typical consumer should just stick to the "regular" PPI for their needs.

It's the perfect selling feature like going up to 360Hz. Yes it's better but it also murders your performance/have to play on low quality for dubious benefits over what we already have at 1440p and 144hz.

So nearly all top end monitors jam 4k in there despite being 27".

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

abraham linksys posted:

so I got my LG 83whateveramazonthing and really like it! a few first impressions:

* the default colors seemed super loving warm compared to my Dell U2412M. I kicked it down from the default "Warm" to the "Medium" color temp. I have no idea how color temp relates to "accuracy," but now my solid-color BG looks sort of close between the two monitors, instead of like two completely separate colors. I did see there's a separate mode option for "sRGB," but that locks down the color temp option and leaves it far warmer than I'd like :(

* the OSC is super easy to use, even if it looks very silly

* sadly, my 1060 is really struggling to push 1440p. I'm able to stay at 60+ just fine in Destiny by kicking things down from high to medium, but Doom Eternal, a game that I always thought of as being optimized by arcane magic, seems to refuse to put out 60fps at 1440p, which is a bit of a bummer. I wonder if this is why 1070s and 1080s have been selling for a ton lately - people upgrading to 1440/144hz and realizing their 1060s can't handle it, but not wanting to pay 2xxx prices and not being able to get their hands on a 3xxx

* otoh, Gsync is pretty magical. like, it doesn't do any thing to really solve the problem of games "looking less than 60fps," but what it does is smooth it out enough so input doesn't feel laggy at all when it dips, which is impressive in its own right

* while I'm probably going to switch to a monitor arm once my new desk arrives next week, I'm very impressed by how sturdy the stand is, and how high it up it goes! my UltraSharp's stand always had a wobble when it was at the highest setting, but this one is stable no matter how forcefully I type :v:

Nice! I'm also going from Dell U2412M to the same 1440p monitor. First one was DOA, no stock to get another one so went for refund and was able to order a second one later that should come in Monday. I really hope this one will not be broken because of shipping again.

How does it in feel in Widows on normal stuff compared to the Dell?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Hemish posted:

How does it in feel in Widows on normal stuff compared to the Dell?

pretty good! in terms of refresh rate, it's pretty much just a smoother scroll in some apps, not any different. 1440p feels good, though. I was worried it'd be too small for my lovely eyes, but I haven't had too much trouble so far

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I got the 38gl too cause I'm a loving idiot.

I like it. Only downside I've noticed is some shadowing at the top and bottom of the screen. Its only noticeable of you have like a pure white screen up. Colors are great, blacks aren't. Haven't noticed much backlight bleed, haven't heard the fan that people complain about

Also keep in mind its not 1440p, its between 1440p and 4k. So yeah that 1060 is going to have a hard time

I was going to get the oled screen but just don't want a 48 inch screen. Or 4k necessarily. If they'd just fuckijg do a 38 or even 43 inch screen I'd slam down a buy so fast

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

terrorist ambulance posted:

I got the 38gl too cause I'm a loving idiot.

ah, you got a different monitor from the one we're talking about (or at least I'm talking about): in LG's infinite wisdom, they have a monitor called the 27GL83A , and one called the 38GL950G. very normal naming conventions we can all keep track of

that said, your monitor looks sick as hell and if I had room in my apartment for a desk that it wouldn't hang off the ends of, I'd totally have considered it :v:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Don't forget the lg 38gn950-b! Which seems almost impossible to find, but I was able to get from Costco for 200 off.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Internet Explorer posted:

Don't forget the lg 38gn950-b! Which seems almost impossible to find, but I was able to get from Costco for 200 off.

How're you finding it? I've been eyeing one for a while but the price and extra width are a worry.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I also received my 27GL83A today, it seems good! Very weird to step down to a 27" monitor from a 34" one. I know I actually have a lot more pixels here but it doesn't feel like it given that I don't have a gargantuan curved monitor on my desk (pro: I don't have a gargantuan curved monitor on my desk.) The smaller text is going to take some getting used to. Also it turns out that "G-sync compatible" is actually not compatible with my 970, so now I get to dedicate my life to finding a 3080.

My plan now is to buy a second one and some monitor arms. Does anyone have any experience with this monitor arm? Or a recommendation for a dual monitor arm? https://www.amazon.ca/VIVO-Monitor-Pneumatic-Sit-Stand-STAND-V002K/dp/B07DFT56Z7/?th=1

edit: I don't know if I have a short torso or terrible posture or both but I wish this stand would lower a lot further than it does.

prom candy fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 1, 2020

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
You need a 10xx or newer Nvidia card to use freesync

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

TheDK posted:

You need a 10xx or newer Nvidia card to use freesync

I was planning on an upgrade anyway, it just kinda sucks that I can't actually get the card. But that's a gripe for another thread!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

queef anxiety posted:

How're you finding it? I've been eyeing one for a while but the price and extra width are a worry.

I really love it so far but I only have a 980ti, so I haven't put it through its paces. I really love ultrawides and the extra pixels from 3440x1440 are really nice when working. My only real complaint so far is that you can't shut off the rear LED ring from the monitor, has to be done in software and it's a bit awkward.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

abraham linksys posted:

My "fix" on a 1060 6gb for Doom Eternal has been to put res scale to 50-75% (ie. 720p - 1080p) and sharpening to max. Game takes obviously a visual hit with that but it's so fast paced that the 90-120fps that you get out of that is way more valuable than the quality. Game still looks good enough until I get back on the high end GPU train. I think the idTech dark magicks definitely makes the game still look absolutely tolerable even at that resolution scale. Far Cry 5 on the other hand looks like hot poo poo if you even touch the resolution scale on 1440p.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I have the choice between the LG 27GL83A-B, the 27GN850-B and the 27GL850-B all for basically the same price, which should I go for?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The 27GN850 is the newest and both 850 models have a USB hub and a better power adapter than the 27GL83A. If they're all within 10-20 bucks I'd just get the 27GN850.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
The cheapest by €15 is the 27GL850-B and from looking at it, the GN850-B actually doesn't have a USB hub so I think I'll go for the GL850 if the panels are basically the same.