Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

edit:

Overwriting EU stories is fine, because unless something is commited to film, it can be changed. The movies and TV series are all that honestly counts, and the comics and books are simply entertainment that can be scrapped for convenience. That's a good thing most of the time.

edit 2: tons of people have no idea about lots of small things like who Oliphant's character is (I certainly didn't until I came to this thread), but it's fun to see lots of small things, like the Tusken cleaning the bantha's teeth since their gaffi stick was oriignally modeled after a gum stimulator. Goofy fun.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
What is this "filler episode" nonsense? The first 15 minutes was establishing Mando has a hunch that finding other mandolorians would help him get information about where the Child's people are. And lo he found a rumored mandolorian.

I love that chapter 9 (S2E1) went full HAM on the western part of space western. I didn't care that I could predict the major plot beats.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

It was a filler episode in that it filled me with joy.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Bring back Kyle Katarn <:mad:>

I felt the Boba Fett reveal at the end was super pander-y, I rolled my eyes at the armor at first, but didn't mind it as much when it was just some dude with it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Boba Fett was always going to come back. If anyone can do it and have it work, it’s the guy who brought back Darth Maul and had it be awesome.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I don't get it.

The entire concept of this show is basically fan pandering to the ancient ideal that Boba Fett is the coolest dude around because he has the coolest armor. Why get up in arms because literal Boba Fett, the guy who everyone used to think was so awesome that he turns up in 5 out of 6 Darth Vader movies, turns up in the show based on "what if Boba Fett, but not, had a Yoda friend?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Kazy posted:

Bring back Dash Rendar <:mad:>

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Can't believe that Dunder Mifflin really extended the range where Danny Cordray had to go to sell paper.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

animeluva1 posted:

What is this "filler episode" nonsense? The first 15 minutes was establishing Mando has a hunch that finding other mandolorians would help him get information about where the Child's people are. And lo he found a rumored mandolorian.

I love that chapter 9 (S2E1) went full HAM on the western part of space western. I didn't care that I could predict the major plot beats.

It didn't directly advance the story in any way, nor appreciably challenge or change the character of the Mandalorian. While filler is not necessarily the best term for it, the main body of this episode is wholly standalone with no direct character hook other than the Boba Fett tease.

It's good, I liked it, but I also think it's the worst that the show has been so far, and felt like a lesser version of episode 5.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It didn't directly advance the story in any way, nor appreciably challenge or change the character of the Mandalorian. While filler is not necessarily the best term for it, the main body of this episode is wholly standalone with no direct character hook other than the Boba Fett tease.

It is ok and good to have those types of episodes in a tv show.

Example: literally every standalone X-Files episode being better than the arc ones.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
That was kind of disappointing. They revisit the only bad first season episode for more 'member berries like, "Remember pit droids, old comedians who can't act, and hey look! the sheriff from Dead wood is using one of Anikin's pod racer engines. 'Member episode 1?" And then they go for "Also what if the Mudhorn episode again, only with a bigger monster???". I was kind of hoping that the whole "more of the same but bigger" aesthetic got banished with JJ Abrams.

I mean it wasn't terrible exactly, but it was such an uncharacteristically lackluster low effort episode I'm feeling pretty doubtful about how this season is going to go, and my eight year old on Christmas eve excitement for a new season has faded a lot.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Episodes don't have to "advance an arc" to be enjoyable to watch. Things can just be Fun.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Sash! posted:

I don't get it.

The entire concept of this show is basically fan pandering to the ancient ideal that Boba Fett is the coolest dude around because he has the coolest armor. Why get up in arms because literal Boba Fett, the guy who everyone used to think was so awesome that he turns up in 5 out of 6 Darth Vader movies, turns up in the show based on "what if Boba Fett, but not, had a Yoda friend?

Nerds get filled with inordinate rage if something happens in a thing they like that isn't exactly as it is how they imagined it would happen.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Frankenstyle posted:

That was kind of disappointing. They revisit the only bad first season episode for more 'member berries like, "Remember pit droids, old comedians who can't act, and hey look! the sheriff from Dead wood is using one of Anikin's pod racer engines. 'Member episode 1?" And then they go for "Also what if the Mudhorn episode again, only with a bigger monster???". I was kind of hoping that the whole "more of the same but bigger" aesthetic got banished with JJ Abrams.

I mean it wasn't terrible exactly, but it was such an uncharacteristically lackluster low effort episode I'm feeling pretty doubtful about how this season is going to go, and my eight year old on Christmas eve excitement for a new season has faded a lot.

Can’t have our hero’s fighting big monsters anymore or the show is rehash trash, got it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
gently caress that guy, this episode should have doubled down and have the raiders pull a big egg out of the dragon’s remains and start eating it with their hands. Have an egg episode every season!

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

jivjov posted:

Episodes don't have to "advance an arc" to be enjoyable to watch. Things can just be Fun.

After S1/2 of Star Trek Discovery, I fully appreciate stand-alone story episodes.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Cartoon Man posted:

Can’t have our hero’s fighting big monsters anymore or the show is rehash trash, got it.

Yes I said exactly that . You are the king of words.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I mean the basic plot impact of this episode is "Mando follows a lead, it doesn't quite pan out, but he ends up making a new friend who may or may not show up later in the season"

That, plus all the worldbuilding and the fun action scenes, and baby, you got a stew solid, consequential Mando ep goin'

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Boba was always going to come back, there’s money to be made! I’m surprised Disney had the restraint to wait 8 years after buying the franchise instead of making him a main character in the sequel trilogy or something else dumb like that.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

teagone posted:

It's just same old tired complaints from last season, lmao. What a boring opinion to have.

it's just like a video game, in that events occurred in a narrative fashion with a protagonist overcoming obstacles to progress towards a goal.

i am very smart and assure you this is an opinion that reflects on the show and not me playing too many video games to frame the media i consume in any other way.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Phylodox posted:

Absolutely not, the puppies want to eat the baby! Keep them away!

It's not the breed, it's the owner.

*looks at Mando's history of solving problems with overwhelming violence.* welp

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I love how one of the absolute unfailing truths of storytelling is that if you explain the plan, it's going to go to poo poo.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

drat that was good. The opening shot was fantastic.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

banned from Starbucks posted:

It is ok and good to have those types of episodes in a tv show.

Example: literally every standalone X-Files episode being better than the arc ones.

I agree entirely, episode 6 is probably my favourite of the whole series. Just that this one felt particularly aimless, especially for a start to the season.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Captain Splendid posted:

I love how one of the absolute unfailing truths of storytelling is that if you explain the plan, it's going to go to poo poo.

Unless that was the plan all along.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Owlbear Camus posted:

it's just like a video game, in that events occurred in a narrative fashion with a protagonist overcoming obstacles to progress towards a goal.

i am very smart and assure you this is an opinion that reflects on the show and not me playing too many video games to frame the media i consume in any other way.

To be fair, using Banthas to lure a Krayt dragon out of it's cave to kill it with explosives after getting the aid of Sand People and finding the Krayt pearl as loot after defeating it is literally a quest in KOTOR.

I wonder how much of this episode was originally planned for the Kenobi series, or built with the intention of re-using assets there? It makes sense to tie into The Mandalorian because of the Vanth/Fett connection, but I wouldn't be surprised if the broad strokes of the episode were originally developed to for an episode that would show Obi-Wan gaining the knowledge of the Tuskens that he displays in ANH.

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 30, 2020

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Captain Splendid posted:

And how! :allears:

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Frankenstyle posted:

And then they go for "Also what if the Mudhorn episode again, only with a bigger monster???". I was kind of hoping that the whole "more of the same but bigger" aesthetic got banished with JJ Abrams.

Now if the Child had defeated the dragon in the end, fair enough. But he was simply tagging along this episode. Frankly I was surprised he didn't have a role in the plot this week.

Captain Splendid posted:

Which is also why I never could stand Home Alone.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Frankenstyle posted:

I remember when people didn’t pick up annoying ways of speaking from South Park.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Which one of the main Darths from the EU was a Tusken Raider in the comics (they are all human in the comics I dunno if that’s canon or not)

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Ok, the writers clearly played KoTOR, because mining the poo poo out of a boss battle area, then triggering the encounter, was my favorite way to cheese the canyon Krayt battle.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Is Cobb wearing Boba Fett's armor? if the answer is a spoiler for anything that happens later in the episode don't tell me I'm only halfway through.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

zoux posted:

Which one of the main Darths from the EU was a Tusken Raider in the comics (they are all human in the comics I dunno if that’s canon or not)

Funnily enough, Darth Krayt.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

SalTheBard posted:

Is Cobb wearing Boba Fett's armor? if the answer is a spoiler for anything that happens later in the episode don't tell me I'm only halfway through.

It is quite obviously Fett's armour. They do a super-duper close-up of the helmet to show off the big ol' dent that everyone knows and loves.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fantastic season opener. More mando justified collaborations.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Oh ok. I'm not a super deep Star Wars lore person and I didn't realize that was significant.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

SalTheBard posted:

ye

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

That’s a Krayt Dragon according to wookipedia. I’m ok with them upgrading it to a giant sand worm.

Here’s the old entry, looks like they’re already cleaning up the new entry with Mando lore.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Krayt_dragon/Legends

Canon article:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Krayt_dragon

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 30, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

What's with this "It's filler because it wasn't all big arc!" poo poo? It set up the overarching plot for the season, introduced a character who's clearly set up to become one of Mando's allies and return in the future, and answered the question of Boba Fett's armor and him knowing who has it. The whole point of this episode was to lay the groundwork for the future and set up the upcoming plot threads, like a normal episode of TV does.

I think the "prestige TV" thing has rotted some brains here. It's okay sometimes to do fun things with explosions and Space Raylan Givens while having the beginning and end of the episode be more plot-focused. Not every TV show needs to be Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad. Just relax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

CubanMissile posted:

I remember when people didn’t pick up annoying ways of speaking from South Park.

I thought it was from Red Letter Media, specifically Rich Evans. But lmao, I guess he got it from South Park. That makes sense.