Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

LethalGeek posted:

I remember when having a ping that was in the double digits was an amazing thing that gave me a massively unfair advantage in Quake type games. Spoiled rear end kids.

I guess I've been out of PC FPS games for too long because the last time I played one, as long as I was double digits I was fine. So I guess I'm wrong.

however:

Biowarfare posted:

in all seriousness the csgo official server network can nearly guarantee sub-20 or 30 ms anywhere in the lower 48 (probably sub-5 to 10ms if you are in a major city like LA or Dallas) unless your network is literal dogshit, that includes even singlehomed cogent, so something seems horribly wrong. they are open peering on any IXP also. even I have a peering session with valve's AS32590 for my network of 4 people that play counterstrike

i can understand that this is mildly ridiculous but if you are 70ms to one of the most heavily connected open-peering-policy from any major market, something is really wrong. even starlink is under 70ms to sea.valve.net

It's a private server and the only peer they offer would actually make things worse. I sent it up the internal chain anyway because I sure as hell can't figure out why it's routing weird. My BGP isn't good enough yet.

I'm just grumpy that I wasted 3 hours on this and it blocked me from getting coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Is playing CSGO part of the job? I am so confused why anyone is worrying about that kind of latency in the office. Are you one of the folks working at twitch?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sickening posted:

Is playing CSGO part of the job? I am so confused why anyone is worrying about that kind of latency in the office. Are you one of the folks working at twitch?

I think Renegret works for an ISP. It's a customer complaining about latency.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

For example my ping to the NA FFXIV servers are 25ms at the most, ie ~2 frames. If you're a modern person playing shooters or fighting games every single frame really can count.

Still, spoiled little shits. Tons of people can't even properly perceive time at that scale even with a lot of visual indicators.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

LethalGeek posted:

For example my ping to the NA FFXIV servers are 25ms at the most, ie ~2 frames. If you're a modern person playing shooters or fighting games every single frame really can count.

The solution to this is rollback netcode and more fighters need to implement it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Proteus Jones posted:

I think Renegret works for an ISP. It's a customer complaining about latency.

yeah

It's something that comes up from time to time and 9 times out of the 10 it's stupid bullshit. Though nothing will top when the Pokemon games on the switch took down everyone's home networks.

Unfortunately the one time I chose to post about it, it wasn't stupid bullshit, I'm just grumpy as gently caress.

LethalGeek posted:

Still, spoiled little shits. Tons of people can't even properly perceive time at that scale even with a lot of visual indicators.

Yeah. I still don't believe that 70ms is unacceptable, just merely not great, and just imagine the kind of person it takes to escalate that to insane levels of corporate so high up I'm not even supposed to talk to them without going through my boss first. The FFXIV servers are west coast, I'm east coast, on a good day I get 70ms. Granted it's an MMO so it's more susceptible to latency than an FPS but, still, not unplayable.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Renegret posted:

As an ISP network admin I have found my new mortal enemy

gamers

Complaining to executive management about your 70ms ping in counterstrike isn't going to make you suck any less, but it will waste a poo poo ton of my time.

When I was 14 you bet I complained to my poo poo, small microwave ISP about their network being garbage.
Arguing with the one tech support guy who was employed there is what convinced me to start doing IT things. You bet I circumvented him too and directly emailed the technical contact listed for the ASN.

Looking now on Peeringdb: this isp has for their peering

one 10gbps
one 1gbps

as their peering links for their /16 worth of advertised public address space. I hope nobody wants to watch netflix in the evening on their 160kbps share in the year 2020

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Renegret posted:

Yeah. I still don't believe that 70ms is unacceptable, just merely not great, and just imagine the kind of person it takes to escalate that to insane levels of corporate so high up I'm not even supposed to talk to them without going through my boss first. The FFXIV servers are west coast, I'm east coast, on a good day I get 70ms. Granted it's an MMO so it's more susceptible to latency than an FPS but, still, not unplayable.
Shoot I played FFXIV through work's VPN which meant my packets were going from the west cost to an east cost data center BACK to the west cost on top of all the time back and it was "only" 125ms on average. That +100ms was noticeable enough that trying to squeeze in things got harder due to extra .1s delay causing animations to run into each other since the game won't start most things until the last thing finishes its full animation. Which again you won't really know or notice unless you're already in the top 5% of the people playing that particular game given the devs own stats about who does what high end content along with various combat addons that do a lot of stat tracking to provide a good graph of player skill.

It's like I am in the best position to sympathize with the poor gamer trying to get any tiny little advantage they can get and I'm still going "...chill out" and totally on board as the IT person who wants to tell them to piss off.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Legit makes me mad. Is your business so lovely and unprofitable that you can't throw HE like, 2000 usd a month for their budget 10gbps links and double your bandwidth for your 65k customers.

You get a 1gbps termination in edmonton, and then 10gbps in seattle. Want to hit the east coast? Eat poo poo, you get to travel an extra 500-2000km first.

I almost want to know what the situation was like in the year 2010 when their bandwidth cap was 30gb a month.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Methanar posted:

Legit makes me mad. Is your business so lovely and unprofitable that you can't throw HE like, 2000 usd a month for their budget 10gbps links and double your bandwidth for your 65k customers.

You get a 1gbps termination in edmonton, and then 10gbps in seattle. Want to hit the east coast? Eat poo poo, you get to travel an extra 500-2000km first.

I almost want to know what the situation was like in the year 2010 when their bandwidth cap was 30gb a month.

Then some drunk driver hits a utility pole, knocks out your 10gig, and your entire company goes out for 12 hours.

In it's rush to repair, AT&T temps the fiber and leaves it on the ground, where someone runs it over with a lawn mower 3 days later.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kurieg posted:

The solution to this is rollback netcode and more fighters need to implement it.

Eh, anything more than 3 or 4 frames at most turns into a some janky rear end poo poo for the person with the higher latency. So 70ms would be painful if you're playing against someone with 15ms.

That being said rollback with matchmaking that includes latency in it's algorithm is good.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Renegret posted:

Then some drunk driver hits a utility pole, knocks out your 10gig, and your entire company goes out for 12 hours.

In it's rush to repair, AT&T temps the fiber and leaves it on the ground, where someone runs it over with a lawn mower 3 days later.

Nice unintended consequence for us phone jockeys when I worked for an ISP: our phones were voip over our own network, so when our upstream connection went down no customers could call us :woop:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

dragonshardz posted:

Yeah, that's a fun concept to explain. Technically we have the ability to touch everything, but ethically we don't unless there's a specific business need or permission is given.
"Why would I want to read your email? I don't even read my own."

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Wait you mean e-mails not a mark all as read high score?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Jaded Burnout posted:

Nice unintended consequence for us phone jockeys when I worked for an ISP: our phones were voip over our own network, so when our upstream connection went down no customers could call us :woop:
Ah yes right up there with datacenters whose only point of contact is a support portal hosted at the datacenter. So they are completely impossible to contact during an outage.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

I deal with 3 small ISPs at work that are like this.

If there is an outage, and you can't call them, welp... you know what the problem is then!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

stevewm posted:

If there is an outage, and you can't call them, welp... you know what the problem is then!

Working as designed, honestly.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Motronic posted:

Working as designed, honestly.

I actually find in comforting in a way. I know the problem is not on our end and I don't need to worry about it. I'm sure they are working on the problem.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

From the other side of the headset it involves everyone going "whoa what happened?", catching each other's eyes, then calling over to the network bods.

It's like when you do IT for a place with on-site servers and all the power cuts out, nobody has anything to do except IT who suddenly have a bunch of racks and UPSes to care for.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Jaded Burnout posted:

It's like when you do IT for a place with on-site servers and all the power cuts out, nobody has anything to do except IT who suddenly have a bunch of racks and UPSes to care for.

this made me twitch thinking about generator cutovers

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Collateral Damage posted:

"Why would I want to read your email? I don't even read my own."

Yeah it's really one part ethics to one part ain't give a gently caress about your vacation photos, Karen.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Moved a WordPress site today for a customer onto a non-poo poo host. Web hosting isn't something we offer and we tend to limit our involvement to putting the correct DNS entries in and then calling it a day, but I had a bit of spare time today and I didn't mind helping. Had them sign up to a WP Engine account, used the built-in migration tool (they license BlogVault) and it brought everything over and then went off and got a Let's Encrypt SSL cert sorted out. A+ would use again.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Yah, all of our sites are hosted wpengine. It’s painless enough that I only need to help the communications/marketing people about once a month.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

stevewm posted:

Lol it's me, I'm the guy in the OP

I've had only 1 GAMER to deal with and he was actually fixable once I found out that it was packet loss and being disconnected from specific game servers but for the like 3 months his mother was the one talking to us all she said was "his computer disconnects" which isn't really our problem

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Fool posted:

Yah, all of our sites are hosted wpengine. It’s painless enough that I only need to help the communications/marketing people about once a month.

I didn't pay that much mind to people talking about how it's more expensive than the internet's favourite host of the moment provided by a guy running cPanel on an old PowerEdge - the hosting costs are miniscule compared to the agency costs of making a site that you'd actually want people to visit, and the automatic patching with backups and rollback make it worth the price of admission.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I really feel for the ISP guys, gently caress, having to troubleshoot an issue when the end user is like "Oh you mean that's not a cupholder?" is awful.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

running cPanel on an old PowerEdge

you mean a used supermicro with an outdated ipmi exposed to the public internet

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

orange juche posted:

I really feel for the ISP guys, gently caress, having to troubleshoot an issue when the end user is like "Oh you mean that's not a cupholder?" is awful.

Customer facing ISP support is its own special level of hell. I once spent 30 minutes trying to get someone to type their password to connect.

It wasn’t that they didn’t use the correct password - they didn’t know what to enter in each field and then couldn’t find it :cry: I think it ended up being a 90 minute call to get them connected, but at least they were nice.

The most entertaining customer we had was legit schizophrenic and was convinced the FBI was hacking into her dialup computer at night to leave pictures of decapitated mice.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

duffmensch posted:

Customer facing ISP support is its own special level of hell. I once spent 30 minutes trying to get someone to type their password to connect.

It wasn’t that they didn’t use the correct password - they didn’t know what to enter in each field and then couldn’t find it :cry: I think it ended up being a 90 minute call to get them connected, but at least they were nice.

The most entertaining customer we had was legit schizophrenic and was convinced the FBI was hacking into her dialup computer at night to leave pictures of decapitated mice.

I mean were they leaving pictures of decapitated mice?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

duffmensch posted:

Their cat was pretty smart.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

orange juche posted:

I mean were they leaving pictures of decapitated mice?

I didn’t hang around on the line to ask but I found her site on Archive.org: Wiolawa

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

duffmensch posted:

Way back before I got hired we had a guy with a diaper fetish who would get off on tricking people to see pictures of himself in a diaper. So he'd set his desktop background picture as said diaper selfie, call in, and say whatever he had to for the rep to remote into his computer.

He single handedly caused process change requiring reps to blank out backgrounds and eventually earned a note on his account to not engage and immediately call a supervisor. Getting a call from him was seen as a rite of passage for new people. It's pretty impressive to gain that amount of notoriety when you have several million customers if you ask me. Also impressive that people like me who never worked in the call center still hear about him 10-15 years later.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Our old call center manager used to get gifts of underwear and sex toys around Christmas from customers.

Our old DBA married her and they moved to a cabin in the sticks of northern Wisconsin.

Assorted Gubbins
Oct 28, 2017

Renegret posted:

This is only two sentences, but it has the energy of that B4CT0M (sp) effortpost about trains and accidents, where his train hits a truck grounded on a rail crossing where the undocumented truck driver vanishes into thin air while he as the conductor eventually drowns in 200 gallons of latrine fluid before his body is burned to a crisp, and it's announced that the conductor had traces of weed in his system from an edible he ate three weeks before so he's blamed for the accident.

...Now I kind of want someone to write the equivalent post for an IT disaster like the AWS remirroring storm from, uh, maybe 2015?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Renegret posted:

Wait you mean e-mails not a mark all as read high score?

My boss likes to brag about how many unread emails he has.
I'm like dude that just means you're probably not doing your job.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

duffmensch posted:

I found her site on Archive.org: Wiolawa

I'd hate to be her neighbour.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

BastardAus posted:

I'd hate to be her neighbour.

I don't think bunkers have neighbours.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My boss likes to brag about how many unread emails he has.
I'm like dude that just means you're probably not doing your job.

I used to try to keep up but it only led me down the path of madness.

As of this post I have 4205 unread e-mails and I last marked all as read on Tuesday evening. That's AFTER I have a bunch of rules set to make a bunch of stupid, useless reports as read on receipt. I have a gazillion rules set up to sort it as well as I can and to put anything sent directly to me in it's own bucket, as well as anything sent from my supervisor or higher. Past that, I just give everything a skim when I come into work and only handle things that come in while my rear end is in the seat.

I thought it would get better when I switched departments but somehow it got even worse.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Oct 31, 2020

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Weatherman posted:

sfwarlock, how did you end up going with Gentle Ben and his Incredible Buffoonery?

Huh, coulda sworn I wrote this up. Maybe I got half done and ADHDed off and never hit Submit. I've been away from forums due to having a small mental breakdown about health things and election things and being pretty sure I'm getting set up to be cut loose in the new year. BUT -

A couple days after my last update we all got an email from Laidback Larry with a lot of management about openness, transparency, honesty, etc. At the end, he put something like "If you take away nothing else from this email, take this: do not lie to me. If you do, and I find out, I don't have a lot of options."

Ben was no longer employed as of that morning.

I resisted the urge to say WE GOT 'IM!

Meanwhile, we're hiring to replace the new guy, again. Guess whose resume was on top of the pile for me to look at? Marvin Graystache, of unlamented memory! I returned it with "I worked with him at xxx. I do not recommend hire."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Is this the link you meant?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571852&userid=122527&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post475610267

Also, that guy reminds me of an old boss of mine.