Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So I've been out of the game a while, since Alatreon first dropped. What's my best bet for stocking up on armor spheres, money and potentially a guard up jewel in my limited time to gear up for Fatalis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

So I've been out of the game a while, since Alatreon first dropped. What's my best bet for stocking up on armor spheres, money and potentially a guard up jewel in my limited time to gear up for Fatalis?

You can just meld Guard Up now, and there's a Brute Tigrex hunt in event quests right now that's p. good for armor spheres. Also do the daily event bounties as well.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

And the event bonus for the steamworks.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Alxprit posted:

You can just meld Guard Up now, and there's a Brute Tigrex hunt in event quests right now that's p. good for armor spheres. Also do the daily event bounties as well.

My god, they finally did it.

Thanks! Does guard up even do anything against Fatalis though? Looks like his big telegraphed doomsday moves wouldn't care.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Thanks! Does guard up even do anything against Fatalis though? Looks like his big telegraphed doomsday moves wouldn't care.

Correct, Guard Up does not block the automatic "you dead" moves, like Fatalis and Safi's "gently caress you" moves.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

It can block the fire breaths and create a safe area behind you

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 29, 2020

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Amazing. Perfect and cool.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

So I just brutally owned Velkhana on the first try using a Crit Draw build with Barioths set bonus of adding KO to it since I figured it would be super effective and I find it extremely ironic Velkhana gear is all Crit Draw skills.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/monsterhunter/status/1322206635033546759

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
All great sword mains can breathe easy now.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

TaurusOxford posted:

All great sword mains can breathe easy now.

This was exactly my thought lol

Though I wonder if they'll have anything to replace the slugger shot that lets you reposition the TCS

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
Something I didn't really notice in previous videos: potions heal a small portion immediately (good for me cause I have to chug a lot of them) and a little lantern spirit follows you during night sequences.

GS Wirebug moves looking really cool though, lots of mobility options.

Also, "Escuregot".

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I had 500 hrs of MHW on my PS4 file, and bought it on PC recently. I can't believe how much I still love playing this game. I can feel myself getting better with several weapons, and it's just exhilarating. Also, playing online is cool - I never paid for PS+.

I rushed through the assigned quests so I could get to as many event quests as possible and have been grinding them hard. I haven't even stepped into the Guiding Lands on this file, so I can't make most of the layered armor, but I have almost all the tickets and whatnots I need to make all the cool stuff.

I hated Barioth at the start of this, but after fighting 800 Barioths and Frostfang Barioths, I love Barioths. That 50 shades of white quest took me 25 mins when I started, and now takes me 7-8 mins with guild palace weapons. I finally managed to beat Muscle Monkey Madness (2 Rajangs) enough times to get the layered armor.

All I really need to do now is beat Mighty Muscle Monkey Madness 2-3x for that set, and I'll be happy with this festival. I can't beat it thought yet. Beo Duals and FF Barioth SnS worked well for normal Rajangs, but Furious Rajangs, I feel like I need something longer. Probably going to go with Great Sword. Anyone got a weapon type or skill build they like for that fight? I don't/can't use bow guns.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Wow, Fatalis is awful. I have 1100 defense before buffs and every move involving fire is a one hit kill. He's fast enough that you can't afford to block anything lest you get caught in a recovery loop and killed, and he has a special fire breath he uses specifically to kill people in temporal mantles. What an utterly miserable experience. How are people supposed to kill him the first time? There is no time for combos; you have to sheathe and run at every tell for his room filling, instant 180 super flame breath attacks because he will finish the move before you get to run if you don't.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Wow, Fatalis is awful. I have 1100 defense before buffs and every move involving fire is a one hit kill. He's fast enough that you can't afford to block anything lest you get caught in a recovery loop and killed, and he has a special fire breath he uses specifically to kill people in temporal mantles. What an utterly miserable experience. How are people supposed to kill him the first time? There is no time for combos; you have to sheathe and run at every tell for his room filling, instant 180 super flame breath attacks because he will finish the move before you get to run if you don't.

Guard Up is your answer.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Well, I've got guard up, but that just led to him repeating the 3 shot fireball burst until I ran out of stamina and couldn't block it anymore. I can check if the build has guard 3 or 5 but he was definitely spitting then faster than I could recover from blocking them.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Well, I've got guard up, but that just led to him repeating the 3 shot fireball burst until I ran out of stamina and couldn't block it anymore. I can check if the build has guard 3 or 5 but he was definitely spitting then faster than I could recover from blocking them.

Are you lancing? Lancing is tough because like you said if you get caught mid/long range he just chain shots you.

HOWEVER, I'm here to show you this one weird trick elder dragons hate!

Lot people forget about this move since you rarely get punished for guarding the way Fatalis punishes you but it essentially changes the entire encounter once you get the timing down.

The other thing to do/learn in the fight (if soloing it) is to learn what attack Fatalis does at certain range. One you hid his close-to-mid sweet spot to bait flame attacks the fight becomes less of a chore and more of a bonk him in the head endlessly.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 2, 2020

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I'm a gun lancer, so that technique might be a bit awkward considering I'd have to at least then sideways for my hops to travel away from the blasts. I'll keep it in mind though.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
20 Fatalis kills, and this is by far the most satisfying:

https://twitter.com/TaurusOxford/status/1323102948478590977

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I finally beat the Mighty Muscle Monkey Madness twice, and now my hunter is so loving jacked.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Woo, beat Fatalis! And solo, as well! Finally, I've completely cleared a Monster Hunter game! It was really hard because I didn't have any augments or something (screw Guiding Lands drop rates) but as long you practice for a week and, when you're ready to fight, just do everything perfectly without a single error for 30 minutes straight since any single hit can kill you and you can't let up on DPS either, you can win, haha! (Augments weren't gonna help me that much anyway as a gunner: I think it's one hit kills no matter what.)

Few tips that helped me:

Even though it was a bummer to give up DPS, Windproof 5 was critical (so I wouldn't get stunned whenever he departs to do a nova) as was Evade Extender and Evade Window to get around his moves safely (especially though his fire breaths, which were impossible without enough iframes). I suppose you could use Rocksteady Mantle to not get stunned, but you'd have to know whenever it departs. I don't use the Windproof set initially, instead using a set with Heavy Artillery and such when I start: I switch to the Windproof set after the first nova.

Use Heavy Artillery for the Roaming Ballista and Cannons! When the fight starts, Ghille Mantle in, load up the cannons, with the one on the right pointing at Fatalis and the one on the left pointing at the first nova safe zone. Put some barrels in front of the right cannon. Shoot the right cannon, stay long enough so Fatalis runs towards it and hits the barrels, then shoot the second cannon, whale on him while he's stunned, hit him with a flinch shot into the cannon wall when he wakes up.

I wasn't able to break his head, but once you get to the second phase, you can get used to his 360 cone breath attacks since he gives ample time to ready for a superman dive, or grapple onto the opposite leg where his head starts.

I kept missing with the dragonator, only hitting him with one since he moves alot, and that's too much DPS to lose: instead, I just used a binder when he came down from a nova: that usually puts him in the perfect position.

Slinger Capacity was nice as you can set up your own double flinch shots, though generally I did just try to flinch shot whenever he went down of his own accord.

As much as everything killed me in one hit, health boost was still important to survive running through fire novas briefly.

If you try to go fire elemental like me, I wouldn't recommend it: while it works initially if you aim for arms and chest, the chest gets really strong against fire when it starts glowing later in the fight. Still possible though!

You're generally safer the closer you stay to Fatalis, just like with any Bloodborne boss. If you do find yourself far away and unable to run from the big cone fire in time, you can do two superman dives to get out of it (though you'll like still take a little bit of chip unless you time the jumps perfectly to not have a gap).

Never Give Up!

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Shine posted:

Or start using cheats to zip through the Guiding Lands grind, because gently caress slogs. We've got jobs and families and poo poo.

Do you have any to recommend?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Capn Beeb posted:

Do you have any to recommend?

With the usual "back up your save in case something breaks" caveat:

Unlimited lures (you still gotta make them one of the usual ways, but they're no longer spent when used): https://www.nexusmods.com/monsterhunterworld/mods/4195 - Might be broken?

Increase parts per shiny: https://www.nexusmods.com/monsterhunterworld/mods/2647

Shop mods such as: https://www.nexusmods.com/monsterhunterworld/mods/4499 ("gently caress this poo poo" mode)

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Do all the events come back at once like is what happening now and how often does it happen?

Is there anything particularly useful I should get from an event today before they do go away? I'm just about to fight Safi'Jiva.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

A new update is coming for Monster Hunter in December that will make seasonal events on a permanent two week rotation, allow you to meld seasonal event tickets at any time, event quests will be unlocked forever, and Safi'jiiva will scale to 1 or 2 players in raids following the patch. Hot stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax46Hyn-rmw

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency
What's everyone run in their item pouches? Is it really up to the player or are there some must takes for every situation?

I got max potions and ingredients for more, mega potions, nulberries, shock trap, pitfall trap, tranq bombs, demon drug, demon powder, flash/dung pods, herbal medicine, farcaster, mega barrel bombs and ingredients for more. That's basically my go to for any hunt really.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

DrDraxium posted:

What's everyone run in their item pouches? Is it really up to the player or are there some must takes for every situation?

I got max potions and ingredients for more, mega potions, nulberries, shock trap, pitfall trap, tranq bombs, demon drug, demon powder, flash/dung pods, herbal medicine, farcaster, mega barrel bombs and ingredients for more. That's basically my go to for any hunt really.

Armor and Powercharms + Armor and Powertalons for the stacked passive defense and attacks boosts.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Neo_Crimson posted:

Armor and Powercharms + Armor and Powertalons for the stacked passive defense and attacks boosts.

Oh yeah I got them too. Well not the talons yet, but I got the charms.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I used to always have an Ancient Potion to rebuff my health and stamina after a death, but Fatalis Armor makes that moot. Other than that, that's mostly what I carry as well, though I don't use Nulberries since I go with blight resistance when I can. Also I tend to have the bleeding-heal item for big red health scenarios. And Lifepowder/Dust of Life.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Dog customization

https://twitter.com/monsterhunter/status/1324260160475439104

https://twitter.com/monsterhunter/status/1323535558929313793

Escuregot :allears:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Alxprit posted:

A new update is coming for Monster Hunter in December that will make seasonal events on a permanent two week rotation, allow you to meld seasonal event tickets at any time, event quests will be unlocked forever, and Safi'jiiva will scale to 1 or 2 players in raids following the patch. Hot stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax46Hyn-rmw

This is awesome and may get me back into World to do all the postgame patches I never kept up with when they were new. Also a nice way to put the lid on world and let people play all the content forever. Thank you Capcom but next time just include this from day 1 please.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I remember back before World came out and everybody applauded Capcom for doing the bare minimum of "no lootboxes in Monster Hunter World"

But considering how grindy World ended up being, even in comparison to other Monster Hunter games? I almost wished they did. With no way to mod my way through the bullshit i am almost at the point where i'd rather just pay a few extra bucks to skip to MH100 at the very least so i can get started with the REAL endgame you know?

Can you imagine if we still had "make games more western to make them sell better" era Capcom? How expensive do you think they would have made Armor Sphere bundles or any of the layered armor sets?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The Shame Boy posted:

But considering how grindy World ended up being, even in comparison to other Monster Hunter games? I almost wished they did. With no way to mod my way through the bullshit i am almost at the point where i'd rather just pay a few extra bucks to skip to MH100 at the very least so i can get started with the REAL endgame you know?

Alternatively, you could just play the game like the rest of us did. :v:

Also if you want to endgame that badly, Alatreon and Fatalis only require MR24 to fight.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

TaurusOxford posted:

Alternatively, you could just play the game like the rest of us did. :v:

Also if you want to endgame that badly, Alatreon and Fatalis only require MR24 to fight.

Admittedly i did take quite a long break before Alatreon came out and then Alatreon crushed them all again when he came out :v:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm at mr 120 or so and have been gearing up for alatreon since mr50 and am still not ready

I am FINALLY getting the hang of guiding lands, thankfully

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Alxprit posted:

I used to always have an Ancient Potion to rebuff my health and stamina after a death, but Fatalis Armor makes that moot. Other than that, that's mostly what I carry as well, though I don't use Nulberries since I go with blight resistance when I can. Also I tend to have the bleeding-heal item for big red health scenarios. And Lifepowder/Dust of Life.

Didn't consider swapping out nulberries for some gear resistance. Cheers! Using nulberries with Lance / HBG is a pain so avoiding it where I can is optimal.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

The Shame Boy posted:

Didn't MHGen have a HR requirement to fight a lot of late game monsters too? I remember I never had a chance to fight Alatreon or Amatsu. Nevermind the insane grind required to unlock all scroll quests or even a single lvl140 GQ in 4U. Having a grindy lategame is nothing new.

Personally I didn't mind the grind in 4U or Iceborne since there was so much stuff to do, though. If you level up your Guiding Lands to 7 you should be MR100 before you know it.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Elman posted:

Didn't MHGen have a HR requirement to fight a lot of late game monsters too? I remember I never had a chance to fight Alatreon or Amatsu. Nevermind the insane grind required to unlock all scroll quests or even a single lvl140 GQ in 4U. Having a grindy lategame is nothing new.

Personally I didn't mind the grind in 4U or Iceborne since there was so much stuff to do, though. If you level up your Guiding Lands to 7 you should be MR100 before you know it.

As someone who hasn't breached 100hours in MHW yet, I'm having a blast and I usually hate grind fest games. MHW has just perfected that core gameplay loop, I enjoy and look forward to every sesh. Except that loving bezel juice God damnit just let me kill this Urgaan in PEACE!

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

DrDraxium posted:

As someone who hasn't breached 100hours in MHW yet, I'm having a blast and I usually hate grind fest games. MHW has just perfected that core gameplay loop, I enjoy and look forward to every sesh. Except that loving bezel juice God damnit just let me kill this Urgaan in PEACE!

:torgue:IMHELPING!!!!!:torgue:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Bazel is the enthusiastic jock that crashes the party with a kegger and in the end wants to help and have a good time.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Nov 6, 2020