Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Crosspost from the D&D5 thread here, but man. Last night was one of the most fun D&D5 sessions I've ever run.

We're playing the Lost Mine of Phandelver campaign with a party of a yuan-ti barbarian, a half-elf paladin, a v-human rogue, and a satyr warlock, spoilers for it below:

For the past few sessions, the party (that had decided to name themselves "The Real Redbrands" after clearing out the original Redbrands, who were bandits that presented themselves as purported law enforcement/peacekeepers) had been exploring the Ruins of Thundertree. Almost immediately after entering the ruins, they stumbled upon the lair of a young green dragon named Venomfang and decided to try to approach him. This resulted in the three of the four party members being robbed of all their gold, the dragon being bribed with a conjured "gold bar" that would later turn out to be a chunk of wood, and one of the party members promised as an underling to the dragon. The rest of Thundertree was eventually cleared out for the most part, and they made a promise to Reidoth the Druid after getting directions to a place called Cragmaw Castle to return to Thundertree to drive Venomfang away when they were stronger.

The party left Thundertree and stocked up on supplies in the nearby city of Neverwinter, before setting out for the hidden Cragmaw Castle. After sneaking in the front entrance, the party fought against several goblins and hobgoblins, including cleaning out the mess hall and stealing three fresh legs of ham from the goblin chef. The party surprised the hobgoblin guards that would have alerted the boss and defeated them in the pincer attack, and then burst into the room of the bugbear chief of the Cragmaw clan, King Grol. A pitched battle ensued wherein Grol's wolf, a doppelganger acting as a messenger from the Black Spiider, and Grol himself were felled with most of the party taking little damage (except for the rogue, who ate a critical javelin), and the party's dwarven patron, Gundren Rockseeker, was rescued at last. Before setting out from Cragmaw, the party decided to explore one last room with a barred door, where a jailed owlbear threw the door open as soon as the party lead unbarred it. Faced with the owlbear, an animal handling check brought some of the party members some oddly recalled wisdom:

"Three hams will fill him, three hams will thrill him, why don't you feed him -- THREE HAMS?"

Upon being prompted by the Barbarian, the Warlock threw the hams to the owlbear, who feasted upon them and then pushed past the party to get out of the castle and into the wild. The party brought Gundren back to the town of Phandalin, and after settling some business, left town to set off to the climactic final dungeon of the campaign, Wave Echo Cave... and then something that wasn't part of the book happened. The party saw something green flying towards Phandalin from the north. After getting a message to the town via the warlock's familiar, they veered off their route to intercept the suspected familiar threat, who landed in front of them upon seeing them approaching. It was, indeed, Venomfang, who was carring something in his mouth - the body of Reidoth the Druid. Venomfang tossed the corpse aside, and casually explained how he would be slaughtering the party for plotting against him and cheating him with fake gold. The party tried to barter with the dragon again, but Venomfang cut them off with a roar and a boss subtitle appeared on the map, causing the players to freak out. Venomfang openly affirmed his intent to kill the party and trash Phandalin, and battle commenced.

The battle was very one-sided; the party had gained a level since their last encounter with the dragon, and their attack rolls were great. On top of that, the Paladin got an amazing crit with her longsword and added a smite to it, doing 52 damage to the dragon in a single attack and literally putting the fear of god into the dragon. Venomfang only ever got one round of attacks off, and only one of the three attacks hit thanks to the Barbarian having Shield of Faith on - his second round was spent disengaging and trying to flee at 2 HP, but the warlock sniped him with a Chaos Bolt gained from multiclassing into Sorceror; an icicle lodged itself in the dragon's head, and the corpse crashed to the ground, causing massive cheers to erupt in the call. The session concluded with the party reclaiming their loot from Venomfang, and the loot he was sitting on on top of that, and returning to Phandalin to rest up a little more before the real trip to Wave Echo Cave.

This campaign is fantastic, and I'm really enjoying the characters. I'm going to be so sad when I run out of campaign here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

ZZT the Fifth posted:

"Three hams will fill him, three hams will thrill him, why don't you feed him -- THREE HAMS?"

I appreciate this reference

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Ham on, ham eater!

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I'm playing a snarky goth Halfling Bard in my buddy's 5E game. He's running the published Undermountain campaign and we just found some dude stuck at the bottom of a deep hole.

Monk: "Should we save him?"
Paladin: "We should save him."
Me: "How do we know he's not like...a reverse Buffalo Bill?"
Paladin: "What does that mean?"
Monk: "He throws us some lotion, and then kills himself."

We ended up rescuing him. He turned out to be a revenant. Oops! :shrug:

We're betting that his sob story of betrayal is at least true enough to mean his former friends are assholes and that when he inevitably drags us into a confrontation with them, that they won't be good guys. Even if we're completely wrong, we have a paladin who can smite the piss out of him at a moment's notice. Soooooo

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
This last week in the Fellowship campaign I'm running, the Fellowship not only cut a deal with an unliving hivemind with potentially cosmic origins that may or may not be responsible for the current Overlord's madness and drive for conquest, they named it Cabbage. And the hivemind loved it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

JustJeff88 posted:

Not entirely relevant, but I am rereading a translation of Dracula (the original) for about the 6th time in my life. I'm not much for horror in any medium, but I've always liked this book. The reason that I mention it is that this book reminds me that, even when one knows what's coming, it can still be terrifying. I fancy that Ravenloft is the same.

You might enjoy the “Dracula Dossier” from Night’s Black Agents. It’s a setting/adventure book with the conceit that various spy folk have annotated a copy of Dracula, it being in fact mostly a historical record.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
I ran my first session of Warhammer Fantasy today. It's set after the Storm of Chaos, and is focusing on the coming Industrial Revolution. The party is so far working with a Genius Inventor who figured out movable type (as opposed to engraving block presses). They're in Hergig, where a new college was established as part of the rebuilding efforts. The Genius Inventor is super blind to business acumen and... everything that isn't inventing, so the players are dealing with the fallout of his naivete, including being jumped by a group of angry newsies for the existing Hergig newspaper.

I've had a lot of fun writing newspaper articles.

The rival paper, the Hergig Alert:

College Causes Chaos posted:

The newly established College of Industry has been tied to a sudden influx in migrants and ne'erdowells. Captain Jakob of the Hergig Watch (54) was quoted saying "We've seen a lot more robberies recently."

Respected citizen Erika Wallers (67) had this to say: "It's unacceptable, all these foreigners running around Hergig. Now I've nothing against the dwarfs we had before, they kept their heads down and just wanted to mine the mountains, but these newcomers are indecent. They do not share our values, and only seek to make a quick crown! Soon we shall not be safe in our beds!!!"

What is Count Ludenhof doing about this new crisis? It seems he is content to turn a blind eye, perhaps encouraged by the coins of the Industrialists. Shall we simply allow his greed to undermine the foundations of our society?

Drunken Dwarf Delinquent posted:

A drunken dwarf (Grogni Inrisonsson, 187) caused a fracas last night after closing time. Bar Owner Miles Rosakompf (41) closed the bar just after midnight in accordance with City Ordinance 3440. However, he found Grogni to be uncooperative. The dwarf turned violent upon being asked to leave, smashing two chairs and injuring the bouncer (Ervin Ludenstag, 21) before fleeing into the night. Hergig Watch has posted a reward of five shillings to anyone who can convince the dwarf to leave. In an off-the-record comment, an anonymous Watchman (Anders Hupten, 39) stated "The dwarf's more trouble than he's worth. He's impossible to arrest." Citizens are concerned that the Watch is unable to handle difficult dwarfs traveling through our fair City.

Do YOUR Part! posted:

The Hochland Irregulars are recruiting as part of the cleanup efforts following the Storm of Chaos. While the Everchosen's chaotic hordes have been repelled, numerous hostile forces have dispersed throughout the countryside. In order to hunt down and eradicate these monsters, the Hochland Irregulars need every able bodied citizen willing to fight for Hochland. Keep your families safe, earn $$$, snappy uniform!

The Genius Inventor's paper, Hochland Items

GENIUS INVENTION posted:

Genius Inventor Ulrich Jaeger has created a new system of Printing, using Movable Type! These New Pamphlets will soon be the Talk of Hergig! Anyone with news to report should speak with Genius Inventor Ulrich Jaeger, located at his workshop on Morphic Street. Reward for useful items.

Beastman Attack posted:

While traveling by river from Altdorf, Genius Inventor Ulrich Jaeger and his bodyguards were attacked by Vicious Beastmen! Although the Beastmen were defeated, this Bodes Ill for the future of Hochland if Peaceful Travelers cannot even sail the Rivers unmolested. The City ought to Do Something!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I’m in a new masks campaign, playing the Delinquent. Deidre isn’t really a criminal punk as much as a rich girl who‘s starved for attention. Most of her crime fighting is to support her t-shirt company.

Delinquents have a lot of moves that trigger off their “superior“ stat (Masks has labels, adjectives that describe how others see you, instead of int/dex/etc.) Superior lets you manipulate people, so her part of the initial plan is always “First, Dee makes a distraction.”

Since her main power is making portals, those distractions have gone from just faking the police being outside to scatter an illegal fighting ring, to creating a wild goose chase through an entire museum...to her latest masterpiece, disrupting a magic ritual by playing “The day a moose got loose in Mooseachusetts” over the PA, while flickering the lights and sucking all the hostages to safety through a big ol’ portal. (Her reasoning is that some people actually liked Bananaphone, and if you want to disrupt magic you have to be extremely disruptive.)

And being sort of lazy, dumping the hostages off at the same central bus terminal she always does, calling the security guard, and guilting him into making sure none of the hostages were secretly villains in disguise.

It’s a lot of fun to play character who jumps between super effective and super venial. Her method to avoid falling to her death in terminal velocity during a superhero fight is a crash pad in the corner of her bedroom that’s painted to look like a whoopie cushion.

We are five sessions in and I don’t think I’ve even taken a swing at anybody; it’s a perfect blend of crime fighting cowardice. Dee (hero name "Girls Aren't Funny") is somewhere in the Venn diagram of Kate Bishop, Daria Morgandorfer and Freakazoid.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 15, 2023

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Kaza42 posted:

I've had a lot of fun writing newspaper articles.

a) I love this

b) I'm guessing you had a fair amount of inspiration from "The Truth"?

c) I love this

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

JustJeff88 posted:

Not entirely relevant, but I am rereading a translation of Dracula (the original) for about the 6th time in my life. I'm not much for horror in any medium, but I've always liked this book. The reason that I mention it is that this book reminds me that, even when one knows what's coming, it can still be terrifying. I fancy that Ravenloft is the same.

My DM is emphatically NOT a horror movie guy, but he knows I'm a horror movie guy, and he knows what will gently caress me up. Zombies? Ghosts? Blood? Eh.

A plant monster based on the creature from The Ruins? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that noise.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Last night I ran the latest session of my Traveller group in which we are running the Secrets of the Ancients campaign. The premise here is that the characters realize that a race of superbeings thought to have died out 300,000 years ago in something called the Final War are still very much alive and continuing to battle in the present era. The present scenario is that the players are reliving the memories of a long dead race and are roleplaying a group of superbeings, and the player actions create the "memories" for future archaeologists to discover.

So last night the group gets a mission from the overbeing to collect a tribe of Neanderthals from 300,000 BC earth in what will become southern Germany in their space ship for transplanting and genetic uplifting on another world 150 light-years away. They originally decided to create a god-myth and try to entice the tribe members on board ("We come in peace. Here, try the wooly mammoth!") but through a series of blown rolls manage to alienate and terrify the tribe. Frustrated, one of the PCs decides to create a tailored sleeping gas and douses the whole valley in it, allowing the PCs to gather up the tribe at their leisure. What do a group of PCs do with 500 Neanderthals on board their shiny space ship?

"Well can't we freeze them all like in Aliens?"

So a tribe of 500 Neanderthals mysteriously falls asleep on Earth one day and wake up a year later on an entirely different planet. Nothing traumatizing there at all. Nope.

Player1: "drat!"

Player2: "What?"

Player1: "You realize that with all of them frozen we can't do any genetic experimenting on them."

Player2: "So?"

Player1: "We are missing a golden opportunity to embed the alien-abduction-and-anal-probe mythology into a budding culture."

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

a) I love this

b) I'm guessing you had a fair amount of inspiration from "The Truth"?

c) I love this

You are 100% correct on B. I've also offered the players 10xp for the entire group for each person who writes an article for the paper. They seem to be very on board with the idea

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Subjunctive posted:

You might enjoy the “Dracula Dossier” from Night’s Black Agents. It’s a setting/adventure book with the conceit that various spy folk have annotated a copy of Dracula, it being in fact mostly a historical record.

This looks *very* interesting, though I know sod all about this RP system. It's on Amazon and I am tempted to buy it and, though I will never play it, reread Dracula with the goofy annotations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I bought it to read too, I confess.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I bought it to read too, I confess.

Is there an ultra-cheap digital version of the novel somewhere? My bookshelves are packed, seriously packed down to the last few centimetres, and since I won't ever play the game I would like to just read the book digitally.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

JustJeff88 posted:

Is there an ultra-cheap digital version of the novel somewhere? My bookshelves are packed, seriously packed down to the last few centimetres, and since I won't ever play the game I would like to just read the book digitally.

I think Pelgrane sells it in PDF, but not especially cheaply ($35 or so).

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Agrikk posted:

Last night I ran the latest session of my Traveller group in which we are running the Secrets of the Ancients campaign. The premise here is that the characters realize that a race of superbeings thought to have died out 300,000 years ago in something called the Final War are still very much alive and continuing to battle in the present era. The present scenario is that the players are reliving the memories of a long dead race and are roleplaying a group of superbeings, and the player actions create the "memories" for future archaeologists to discover.

I'm a monster. I read over the latter half of that document and, between the name Grandfather and the RP prompts for when he's riding shotgun in a PC's head, I can't stop reading him as William Hartnell as Doctor Who.

Edit: Yeah, I was interested in getting my hands on a copy of the annotated Dracula too, but I couldn't justify the price they're asking.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Oh dammit. Dammity-drat-drat-drat.

No way this is leaving my head now.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Two or three months ago a friend of mine organised a DnD 5e game set in the Magic the Gathering world of Zendikar. He and the other players, all of whom I've known for years, are big into Magic or know the setting and lore fairly well. I on the other hand do not so some of the following may be inaccurate just to my lack of knowledge. It also might just be because we're doing our own thing and I know we've already diverged from the cannon story. We haven't left Zendikar yet but I understand that we will gain the ability to travel between different worlds (Planeswalking I believe) soon. Instead of using the standard DnD alignments we picked a combination of three of the colours of magic from the cardgame, each of which suggests certain mindsets, philosophies and moralities. Aside from my own I actually don't remember much of the other players alignments so I will update with the correct ones after I check later.

---------------------

The players are:

Myself as a Fighter, the Dread Pirate Blackscale Captain Plankett and I'm basically a Dragonborn hacked into the world of MtG. The current explanation is that I am a Viashino from somewhere called Jund with some extra dragon nonsense going on that makes me not look like a crocodile so much. My backstory is he used to be a successful pirate until another pirate captain managed to beat him and his crew, but failed to kill him leaving him the last one alive. Plankett is his extremely unconvincing civilian disguise that he is using while he tries to amass wealth and crew to get revenge. My alignment is green, red & black, focusing on a kind of survival of the fittest and might makes right kind of mentality. Plankett is jovial and generous because he feels in control and powerful, so he can show off by acting altruistically when it suits him.

Skarthix is our Elven Warlock whose patron is himself. It's complicated. Originally our party was assembled and our expedition funded by him, with the story moving on from this original point. Skarthix is the first of a few characters with long histories that stretch back into the past and involve world shaping events in the history of the world of Zendikar. As for his personality...well, Skarthix is blessed with an intense curiosity and keen intellect while at the same time being cursed with an extreme apathy for anything like common sense or forethought. It's not that he can't be cautious, it is just that he choses not to be. Currently he is best known for his penchant to destroy and absorb any sword-like bladed weapon he comes into contact with. I am not sure what his colour alignment is but I am confident it involves blue, and I think white.

Next among the characters with long and involved histories we are discovering is Mufasa the Kor Cleric. Mufasa is best known for being racist to vampires (who are not generally the nicest lot), failing religion checks and making extremely entertaining deductions that are completely incorrect...and screaming in tortured agony a lot. He has a long time friendship with the Druid in the party and often seeks support from him with confronted with yet another unpleasant or existentially terrifying revelation about his past. He has a thematic theme of the duality of light and darkness, and his signature move is turning invisible and then auto max-blasting vampires with Turn Undead. He has also accidentally started several cults. I believe his colour alignment is black, white and blue green.

The third character with a long history, but not one that intertwines much with the history of Zendikar is the treefolk Druid called Fallow. His people reproduce in some sort of reincarnation where their parents drop acorns that grow up into children with the memories of their past life. Fallow's previous life is an important character from another plane Lorwyn, who got murdered by burning. When he uses the Guidance spell he actually speaks to his previously personality which is pretty cool. Due to the circumstances of his birth, Fallow has a pretty thematic relationship with fire and his signature move is summoning a flaming spirit that he can teleport with. In his past he looked after a goblin tribe so he has a pretty kind outlook for goblins which isn't as common in Zendikar I believe. He is also somewhat mischievous at times, such as having at least inkling that he was helping spread the cults that Mufasa accidentally caused a few times. His alignments I think are red, green and black white.

The rogue, Alistair, is much more conventional and like Blackscale doesn't have a long or complicated set of past lives or history and is also just a regular human. Due to the face we play in the Australian evening and he is in the US he sometimes can't make sessions so his character tends to not be too heavily involved in the ongoing plot to ensure that if he can't make a session that it won't hold up the game. Alistair is fond of gold, particularly that currently held by other people, and of petty schemes and games to acquire that gold. I believe his rogue abilities come from a Critical Role character as he summons a clone that he can shift with and can make attacks with him. His specialty in combat is stabbing people in the back with knives and while it might be a reasonably straightforward tactic it's served him pretty well so far. Most of Alistair's magic items help him grift money from other people. I have no idea what his colour alignment is but I guess it probably involves blue is apparently undecided yet but the GM says probably white, black with a bit of red.

Our last character and most recent addition is the vampire psion Revaan. His backstory is the least developed due to him only joining a few sessions ago. Originally we had a different player who was going to join but got a new job and couldn't make any sessions so we ended up with a spare plot McGuffin that ended up bonding with Revaan when we rescued him. Fortunately by the time Revaan joined, we already had a vampire join the crew and Mufasa had chilled on his vampire hatred somewhat so we all had a good reason to avoid any issues with the racism, as none of us really wanted to deal with that. So far his mind assault focused kit has been primarily used to try and do psychic healing with some mixed results. Given his mind magic I assume his alignment involves blue but beyond that I could only guess black as well due to the nature of vampires. (It is white, black and blue)

---------------------

Our adventure began as we left the seaside port of Seagate, with the party on board Plankett's ship. As it was my ship I got to name it, so it was christened the Legitimate Endeavour to the amusement and approval of the party. Our goal was some ruin in the middle of a desert on the continent across from Seagate. The trip was a time for us to indulge in establishing our characters a bit, with Alistair inviting the party to play card dice. He even promised not to cheat and when Plankett pointed out the point of those games was to cheat and to try not to get caught, Skarthix immediately began to discuss the exact details of the rules and the purpose of the games. In the end half of the group played cards instead. We arrived a few days later in Affa Town and got some information before moving on towards the desert and the ruins that we were searching for. Before we left we found our that there were some rumours that pirates belonging to the crew of the Purple Sashes had been seen in the area, the same crew that had been responsible for definitely killing Blackscale. Although Plankett had only heard about this of course. The journey to the ruins was fairly uneventful in itself, and we arrived in an area where there was greenery. The party found signs of a camp that had been left behind recently, and was on the lookout when they went into the ruins. Almost immediately after entering we found a pitfall trap with a recently impaled goblin dead at the bottom of its spikes. Shortly after this we encountered the group of goblins who they told us their story. They had just been in the area but had been captured by the Purple Sashes and forced to search through the ruins for something, as the pirates knew there would be many traps and did not want to lose any of their number to it. Mufasa had cast the Light spell on a rock, so we gave the glowing rock as a gift to the goblins as a sign of friendship and promised to help them with the pirates after we finished exploring the ruins.

Zendikar is littered with magic stone octohedrons which creatively called Hedrons. Among treasure in the ruins we found 6 Hedrons, one for each party member (and for the potential 6th member) which bonded with something on each character. These Hedrons augmented our weapons in some ways, for example Blackscale's axe got a dragon's head on its blade and on a critical attack roll will open up and do a breath attack as a free bonus attack on that strike. Skarthix had an ancient stone blade that absorbed his Hedron and then ate his swords, although he found he could conjure them back magically from it so as not to be deprived a weapon. Mufas's Hedron bonded with his hookblade which is as far as I can tell a hookshot combined with a bladed weapon granting him the ability to go invisible. When this merging happened Mufasa also happened to split into a light and shadow form of himself and then recombine back into him, which was certainly weird and unexplained. Fallow's Hedron combined with his quarterstaff and did something with it which I'm not entirely sure of, as it is a bit more subtle as to how it affected it. For Alistair his Hedron merged into his dice which became stone Hedron dice which he could fix the rolls of if he wanted to, although I believe this affected his clone abilities as well. After all of this we were a bit confused as to why these ancient Hedrons seemed to resonate specifically with us, but the ruins had been half remade by the Roil (a magical phenomenon in Zendikar that reshapes the terrain and biomes of the world as it passes through it unpredictably) so there was not much more for us to find. We headed out to regroup with the goblins and realised as we headed to the entrance that the pirates were waiting to ambush us.

The fight with the pirates was pretty quick and brutal. Our party's naming sense began to form as we called the leader of this band "Norbert", although I suggested we slap on the moniker of dread pirate as well to make the poor guy slightly more intimidating. Norbert was the son of the leader of the Purple Sashes, off on his first mission as the leader of a new crew serving his father and more importantly he was the man who had tried to kill Blackscale. It turned out that without the element of surprise Norbert was little match for Blackscale as two rounds of high rolling damage killed him. The remaining pirates except for one fled swearing revenge, with the remaining human begging for mercy and promising to serve on my ship. It turned out he had been forced to serve Norbert and had little love for the man, so with Definitely Captain Plankett welcomed him aboard as anyone with a grudge against the Purple Sashes was fine by him. It turned out the fleeing pirates had made it back to the Purple Sashes before we made it back to Seagate however, as the townsfolk had become scared to deal with us for fear of retribution. In this downtime we named the Merfolk member of our ship's crew Captain Crunch (he's not actually a captain, it's just his first name), with his brother in the town being Captain Fish and their elder being Elder Crunch. Our human crewmember was dubbed Officer Crumb, and our goblin lookout was called Crackle. The GM sighed as he realised that if he wanted any kind of serious or dramatic name for a character he would have to come prepared as we would otherwise immediately name them something silly if given the opportunity.

In the downtime in port as Alistair's player wasn't able to make the session we decided that he was off fleecing some sailors and dock workers in a tavern with his recently acquired magic mug that allowed him to drink booze without getting drunk. Plankett tried to introduce Fallow to some different kinds of food and while the treefolk couldn't really taste them due to lacking a real sense of taste he did appreciate Plankett trying to assist him with expanding his experiences. While trying to buy food from the street vendors, Fallow and Plankett found out the townsfolk were nervous of dealing with the crew because of the threat of the pirates. Mufasa and Skarthix went to visit Elder Crunch to find out about how the Purple Sashes had known to find them, as well as to decide on the party's next destination. It turned out that Captain Fish had accidentally let it slip and the pirates had found out. At the time none of us had expected the pirates would be interested or care, but the elder promised that they would be more careful in future. The party's next destination was to be a cold and snowy land to the south of the world where the elder had heard of more rumours of Hedrons with strange resonances. When the group met back up and discussed the pirate issue, Plankett decided to ensure the ship was fitted out with some cannons to ensure that we could defend ourselves in the case of an attack at sea. The rest of the crew continued their preparations and then we left for Sejiri and the next set of Hedrons to investigate.

Next time the crew discovers the Stone Song, continues to befriend goblins, Mufasa unknowingly creates his second cult, Blackscale gets upset about magic meddling with his ship and the crew welcomes Count Chocula aboard.

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Oct 26, 2020

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

HiKaizer posted:

Next time the crew discovers the Stone Song, continues to befriend goblins, Mufasa unknowingly creates his second cult, Blackscale gets upset about magic meddling with his ship and the crew welcomes Count Chocula aboard.
This game sounds super good.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I'm a huge wrestling fan, while my DM (and the rest of my D&D group) isn't. But this morning he posted this to our FB group and asked if I had seen it...

"Dwarf Fighter goes on a kill streak after activating Action Surge."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGoM3o9oZAy/

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
That happened in our group as well, but with my Dragonborn fighter instead of a Dwarf. It was even more wrestling-esque because I'd just used a magical rock to hurl myself into the air like a human catapult and landed, instant killing the boss in one round and then killing the mooks surrounding them with one hit because of the cleave effect on that two-handed weapon feat in 5e.

It's always great fun when you get to pull it off!

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Our next stop in Zendikar was Sejiri, specifically a cave that was rather unremarkable and unmarked from the outside. We made some survival checks to navigate in the cold but as Fallow could keep the party warm and fed with magic we were not in danger of actually dying or getting injured. The cave led in ruins which once again seemed to be extremely old and ravaged by the Roil which resulted in a mix of nature cave formations and sturdy ancient stone temple. We quickly ran into a group of goblins that were singing and performing some sort of strange ceremony around a Hedron. As Fallow was the only member of the party who spoke Goblin they once again served as an interpreter but quickly found out that the goblins offered little useful information about their actions. The goblins however did warn the party about vampires occupying the caves, so to continue to promote good goblin-relations and to thank them Fallow asked Mufasa to enchant another pebble with the Light spell. Of particular note here was the cryptic out of character comment from the GM that for some reason despite the Light spell normally ending after an hour, these rocks continued to emit light after the spell ran out. This will be relevant to the cults that the party would discover popping up in a few sessions. Leaving the goblins to their strange ceremony the party moved on and quickly found a Hedron surrounded by vampires performing their own sort of ritual. Mufasa and Skarthix used their Detect Magic spells to try and discern what the vampires were doing, revealing that they were somehow 'realigning' the Hedron's resonance for some purpose...which didn't really reveal much in character or out of character. We approached the vampires in the hope that we could at least open a dialogue but were immediately attacked leading to a combat which was easily dealt with. The only note here was Mufasa taking losing a lot of their HP due to a high rolling Inflict Wounds spell from one of the vampires.

Our exploration of the dungeon continued mostly methodically, with the party collecting a great deal of old coinage. Mufasa's tendency to roll low on religion checks meant that he felt these coins were cultural relics of far greater importance than they actually possessed leading to some comical discussions on their actual wealth. We gathered a few nifty pieces of magical equipment, with some being deliberately chosen by the GM for character utility and the rest being rolled randomly. Blackscale got a pipe that could create animated smoke animals, Alistair got a hat that let them change their outfit to whatever they wanted, we found an immovable rod, a number of stones which could be broken to conjure elementals and some pieces of magical armour. I got what I liked to call Blackscale's amphibious assault armour, a combo of a full plate that gave him a swim speed equal to his movement speed and a helm that allowed him to create bubbles of breathable air that hung around him. For a pirate in heavy armour this was very helpful indeed. Each Hedron we found in the ruins that we interrupted the vampiric ritual on resonated with one belonging to a member of the party causing that Hedron to power up a little. We also ended up deciding not to attempt to parley with the vampires conducting the ritual on these stones, as the other groups seemed no more inclined to peacefully talk with the party than the first one. During one encounter I finally rolled a critical hit with my newly magical axe, which due to being my second attack that round from an action surge and rolling very high ended up doing over twice the vampire's health in damage in a single round. The party got to witness for the first time as Blackscale savagely cut the vampire in half and the dragon head on his axe opened its mouth and roared as a jet of acid reduced the vampire to a shadow on the wall.

However I was not the only party member who got to have a cool combat moment! Another group of vampires was taken down entirely by Mufasa alone, using his signature move of turning invisible and then using Turn Undead in the middle of the vampires. This ended up obliterating all of them, although the GM decided to divine fiat one of the vampires surviving. This survivor begged for mercy and explained how he had been taken against his will to perform this ritual, and had always wanted to be a sailor before he had been turned. Most of the party were in favour of accepting the vampire into the crew, causing a consternation from Mufasa who pointed out the bloody and treacherous history of the vampires in the world. Fallow rebutted that although the vampires needed to feed to survive, an act that was often lethal, we had just gone through the ruins butchering a bunch of people and that Mufasa himself had just obliterated a group of sapient beings in divine radiant light. This moral and ethical discussion continued for a few minutes until it ran its course where out of character we all agreed to take the vampire. We didn't dwell on it as Mufasa's player wanted to portray this discrimination as being a bad thing and be part of their character arc to outgrow it and to become a more open minded and less dogmatic person. With this discussion concluded, Blackscale invited the vampire aboard with the casual and brutal warning that the man would be killed if he betrayed them. As they are ever curious about the ways of fleshy being and their ways of eating and nourishing themselves, Fallow conjured some Goodberries to see if they could satisfy the vampire's 'dietary requirements'. To prevent needless drama and to make things convenient, it turned out that indeed Vampires could survive comfortably on Goodberries without needing to feed on the blood of living creatures. As we had established a theme with our crew we named the vampire Count Chocula and left him to wait for us at the entrance.

We had a boss fight against some animated stone creatures, that appeared in the card set and I believe may have had more importance than I realised. For me a lot of the card game references go over my head, but for those familiar with the card game and the Zendikar block the specific card is the Ancient Stone Idol. This was our first kind of boss fight in the campaign, so the party ended up expending a lot more resources than we had previously and some characters ended up pretty low on HP. In the end we were triumphant, and we rested and licked our wounds. We found another group of goblins in a different part as we finished our exploration of the caves who were no more inclined to give the party information than the first group we encountered. However Fallow insisted we give them a shiny rock, so Mufasa cast Light upon another stone and thus unknowingly expanded the cult that would form after we left.

With our exploration complete we met up with our new undead crewman and returned the ship. Upon our arrival the now powered up Hedrons acted strangely, the ancient and unknown magic in them combining and transforming our ship into a ship made of stone like the Hedrons. Instead of the original figurehead the prow of the vessel was now adorned with a fearsome dragon's head. In addition to this the vessel could now be steered and directed by the will of Plankett, although he could delegate this to someone else for situations where we were on land and exploring. The cannons on the ship also became combined with Hedrons in addition to their petrfication, allowing the magically adept members of the party to channel their magic through them for use in naval combat. Out of character I thought this was cool and fun, commenting that I was kind of like Piers from the Golden Sun games who could similarly control the ship in the second game with his will. Blackscale however was extremely upset and put out. As I explained he had no idea if the magic would wear off or if there would be some warning if it was going to. Additionally now he might be forced to take the party with him to keep the vessel operational or even seaworthy if the magic required all of the party present to work. The Legitimate Endeavour was no longer just his ship, which complicated his eventual plans for revenge against the Purple Sashes. That night he got very grumpy, very drunk, and very hungover in that order. Count Chocula explained that he had heard of another location in Bala Ged where more vampires were conducting their strange ritual. He didn't know why they had been perform the ritual or even what it did, only that it was important to the Blood Chieftains and it did something to the Hedrons which had to be renewed every couple of years.

Next time the Purple Sashes return on the high seas, Blackscale kills himself, Mufasa screams a lot, we save a village and some timey-wimey stuff happens. I also edited the last post but for quick clarity here are the colour alignments:

Alistair: Black, White and a bit of Red
Blackscale: Black, Green and Red
Fallow: Green, Red and White
Mufasa: Black, Green and White
Revaan: Black, Blue and White
Skarthix: Blue and Red

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Oct 26, 2020

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

HiKaizer posted:

He didn't know why they had been perform the ritual or even what it did, only that it was important to the Blood Chieftains and it did something to the Hedrons which had to be renewed every couple of years.

:aaaaa:
I haven't played Magic in years, but when I did first start playing seriously, it was during the first Zendikar block. I think I have an idea about what this ritual is, if I'm thinking of the right thing.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Unfortunately this was a session that Alistair's player could not join, so Alistair was GM NPCed and mostly hung around in the background, which is a shame as there were a few things which would have been extremely fun for his character to join in on.

The GM asked us to review some naval combat rules before the next session because we were going to be fighting some pirates with our now upgraded ship. As we were travelling to Bala Ged we found a blockade of two Purple Sash ships at a narrow pass, possibly a fjord. In hindsight the GM never did tell us how high the land was, just that we couldn't go around it. We recognised the ships and deliberated what to do amongst ourselves. It seemed impossible that they would recognise us in our new ship and we flew ordinary sails with no special flag to mark who we were. Based on Blackscale's previous encounters with the pirates, and the fact they were hunting for us, it seemed likely they would inspect the strange and suspicious vessel which gave us only a small window to act in surprise. After some discussion the party decided on our sneak attack with Blackscale and Fallow being an amphibious assault team while Skarthix distracted the Purple Sashes and Mufasa was backup. While I was excited to get a chance to try out my armour and helmet's magicla abilities, I was surprised that Fallow was joining me. However as a treefolk it was reasoned he didn't need to breathe and he was using his fire spirit to help with mobility. I wasn't sure at the time how this worked, but in hindsight I would like to think Fallow was constantly sinking and teleporting back up to his fire spirit. While Skarthix confused the Purple Sashes with his ability to constantly talk about something simultaneously simple and bafflingly nonsense Blackscale used his acid breath with Fallow's fire spirit igniting oil barrels to sink the other ship. We made it back in time as the pirate began to catch on that something was afoot his comrades' ship began to sink and combat began.

Partly because it was a tutorial battle and partly because we had a magical ship made of stone that could channel magic through cannons, the engagement was short and we won handidly. We fished out a couple of survivors including the bosun of the ship we bested and locked them up in our brig for questioning. One natural 20 and some extra bonuses later, Blackscale scared the living daylights out of all the pirates. This was a fun scene for me, as I got to show the ruthless and vicious side of Blackscale which rarely appears while he is operating under his Plankett persona. We got all the information that they could give us. Firstly we learned that the pirates had made a fort by conquering a settlement of goblins up river from a ruin with the hedrons. Curiously we also learned that the leader of the Purple Sashes had gained much of his power and influence after completing a job for one of the Blood Lords. While the human couldn't remember the name of the particular lord correctly, he was able to remember it closely enough that Count Chocula was able to deduce that it must be Kalitas. This was the time when the party also named the leader of the Purple Sashes and given their associated colour and our ongoing theme of food brand characters there was only one choice. Blackscale was confused as to what the now self-styled pirate lord Grimace was planning, but it seemed likely that a show down with him and his wife Birdie would be inevitable in the future.

Now that I think on it, I'm not sure what we actually did with those pirates in our brig after all this...I wonder if they're still there. I should ask our GM when we run tonight.

We had another naval combat against two vessels and although the Legitimate Endeavour took a number of cannonballs, we still had plenty of hull points left at the end of the fight. Some creative use of darkness and some warlock invocations caused the pirates to surrender mostly out of fear and our overwhelming firepower. We proceeded towards the village where we were left to try and figure out how to try and break it free form the pirates control. We split the party into two teams, one which again was Blackscale and Fallow infiltrating from the side by keeping hidden in the water while the other consisted of the rest of the party. While the main group distracted the pirates by using the Legitimate's Endeavour's cannons to fire some non-damaging spells into the midst of the pirates, Blackscale and Fallow released the imprisoned villagers. Fallow helped them break into the storehouse to arm themselves, while Blackscale went to fight with the lieutenant left in charge. By this time we had begun to name the NPCs including enemies on the maps in Tabletop Simulator, so I had a showdown with red-nosed Brenda. With the goblins free to get revenge, the leader of the pirates dead and the main party breaking in the remaining pirates surrendered. We left it up to the goblins to decide what to do with them as we rested for the night before we set out for the ruins. Captain Crunch was left in charge of the Legitimate Endeavour while we were gone, although at the time we did not expect to be gone long.

The next section occurred in the following session so Alistair's player was back. We travelled into the ruins which were much more like the ones back in the desert we had originally visited. There was some strange indications that there used to be some kind of ancient Kor culture that had built them, large and with an empire that would be impossible in Zendikar as it was in the present. The party debated these implications, with Blackscale wondering if there might have been a time before the Roil. While Mufasa dismissed them and Blackscale as childish fancy Skarthix of course mused on the subject, saying about 1000 words where a simple dozen would have been sufficient. We fought through a group of pirates, then a group of vampires before we managed to scare off the rest of the pirates after we had handidly butchered both groups. With this done Skarthix located another hedron which was in the possession of another stone statue, albeit one that appeared to be holding some kind of vigil. As soon as Skarthix approached it the statue animated, easily parrying any attacks done to it and absorbing our magic as it attempted to launch some kind of mental assault on Skarthix. In the end it turned out not to be some kind of attack but instead an unlocking of memories long hidden from the elf and with its task complete the statue returned to its previously unmoving state. Skarthix was shocked by the revelation that he had not been born in Zendikar and even more so by the knowledge that this was not even his first life. As he tried to get these thoughts in order, Blackscale and Alistair investigated the treasure in the chamber ahead leading to a comical scene of Blackscale being trapped in a Portable Hole and Alistair finding it only to have the dragonborn break free and surprise him.

While this happened though Mufasa felt drawn to another area of the ruins nearby and accompanied by Fallow managed to find another statue that then tried to unlock part of his mind in a similar manner to what had happened to Skarthix. With both of these actions done, the scattered party members were each suddenly confronted with some kind of strange reflection of themselves. Alistair was suddenly greeted by his very worst self, an honest and pathetic travelling salesman that played games honestly and made fair and reasonable deals. For Blackscale this was his old pirate self, bloodthirsty and violent which proceeded to try to attack him. Fallow was met with a burning treefolk which they recognised from a reoccuring nightmare as being part of their past self. Instead of fighting this shade of their past, Fallow embraced them while telling them that they were a part of them always. Mufasa was met by a shadowy clone of themselves that taunted them, claiming that they didn't even know why they were dying every 10 years or so. When the confused and upset Mufasa refused to accept this, more simulacrums of themselves appeared baring differing natures. Then the shadowy clone of Mufasa proceeded to force him to relive miserable and dark memories of his past, causing the Kor to scream in pain and horror. Skarthix got to encounter a much more pleasant past incarnation of himself and they proceeded to have a civil and exceedingly ridiculous conversation.

While Fallow was the first to deal with this reflection of themselves, everyone aside from Mufasa would soon follow and the joining of each character and their reflection empowered our unique weapon and or abilities. Alistair merged together once he beat his double at cards with the honest Alistair obviously letting him win. I on the other hand wanted to know what would happen if I killed mine, so using my action surge and a few other abilities managed to deal more damage than my maximum HP in a single round. The shadowy copy of Blackscale on its defeat tried to taunt him with the comment that he could never return to his old life, before growing a pair of wings and diving into him. Skarthix merged in with his copy after they had compared notes on a variety of topics, leaving only Mufasa still unable to resolve his own double. In the end it was only through the support and aid of Fallow that he was able to force the other reflections of himself to merge into him. The mood was a little exhausted and somber in that side of the ruin as Alistair, Blackscale and Skarthix met up with Fallow and Mufasa. Seeing that Mufasa was having a bit of a rough time, Blackscale tried to cheer him up by showing him the crazy piece of cloth he'd found in the portable hole and also proudly boasting that he had killed himself. The latter comment managed to be so weird and surprising to everyone that Mufasa chuckled a little bit. We rested up for a bit to let him get a bit more energy back before we returned to the goblin village.

However on our return we found that an entire two months had passed since we had last been there. The goblins had seen the pirates fleeing from the ruins, but it seemed that whatever had happened with our clones and with the statues had somehow trapped us in time for much longer than we had thought possible. The village had put an illusion on the Legitimate Endeavour to disguise it from pirates and had rebuilt considerably in our absence. Captain Crunch and the rest of the crew were extremely happy to see us return safely and alive, so we had a celebration that night. Blackscale made sure that Mufasa had a full belly of warm food and some ale before he was allowed to go to bed with Fallow making sure he got there safely and telling him that they would always be there to support him if he needed them. We also expanded the crew as well, with two goblins by the names of Snap and Pop joining Crackle to complete that trio. But they were also joined by an elf named Elcyem (LCM) who decided to join with us as we realised that we would need to deal with Grimace sooner rather than later. Using some Merfolk magic, Captain Crunch was able to communicate with Elder Fish to find out where Grimace might be at the moment and those in the party who had played the set block understood the importance of our next destination; the Crypt of Agadeem

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

I am liking these updates. A naval-based campaign is something I always wanted to try, complete with sacking coastal cities and ship-to-ship battles with cannons a-roaring, but they either devolved into wargames and a lot of speed gaming or the player got wind of something inland and left the ship, never to return.

Your blend of land based stuff plus naval battles seems ideal.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 28, 2020

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So I'm running a Double Cross campaign in a setting I came up with for another campaign, which is mostly an urban fantasy setting but with some weird biblical backing from the Parables of Enoch and such. The team of PCs are a former Dominican nun and ex-Inquisitor werewolf knight (Neumann Super Skill/Chimera Physical Shapeshifting), a fairy knight errant changeling woman (Orcus Domain and Space Magic/Solaris Plant Magic) and a gravity wizard with demonic powers because idiot British skull and bones types tried to sacrifice them and accidentally messed up the bargain and gave the powers they were sacrificing them for to their victim (Pure Balor Gravity Wizard). Think Double Cross Shin Megami Tensei and you aren't that far off.

Anyway, their current mission sees them in Ann Arbor Michigan at the U of M (their paranormal detective agency/devil may cry office is in Detroit, located between a hair salon, a payday lender, and a decent Cantonese restaurant), having been hired by the changeling's fairy queen and the ruler of the Nochols Arboretum (public park and botanical garden) to defend a student who's being harassed by a rogue fae noble since she turned him down at a party in midsummer. So far they have appeared in the Fairy Realm via a secret path behind a popular bar set up by one of the kinder fae to help drunk people somehow make it home without driving, met a magic pangolin timekeeper, been glamored into more exaggerated versions of themselves (including the wizard just turning into David Bowie, which the Fae take as a good sign about a person), met the knight's frenemy who is the Vice Minister of Lilies and who tries to be a cool business elf, and then discovered the woman they're protecting is the copy of the knight left with her human family when she was kidnapped by the fae. Now she's trying to spare the engineering student they're protecting by telling her the knight's the copy, not her, while the other two are getting into a car chase (without their own car, the wizard can teleport and the wolf-knight is fast as hell) with unseelie who disguise themselves as cops because 'assholes who bully you into not calling them on breaking the rules and enjoy hiding behind laws and power to torment people' makes American cops a natural disguise for them.

Also they discovered marijuana works like garlic on a vampire on the local fae because the court of herbs passed an ill-advised measure saying it was to be treated like an invasive species and no local fae could help it thrive.

I'm really enjoying running this game.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I really like that setup, Night!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Their past missions have involved an evil British star sorcerer tricking a local artist of the macabre into a reverse dorian grey to get their attention so he could talk to their gravity wizard (evil wizards don't just, like, call you on the phone they gotta be convoluted) and getting the DIA haunted, and helping a spanish nun who was made into a weird sin-eater so she could destroy a demonic possession that spread like a biological contagion but now it was trying to make monsters and she was building weird hives in abandoned buildings in Detroit to try to avoid hurting anyone. They had to exorcise the demonic remnant and kill it after talking down the active duty Inquisitor who thought she was Super Possessed.

It's been a really fun time!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Once a band of hunted misfits became unsung heroes as they prevented rogue faction of the Republic CIA from turning the Cold War between the Republic and the Sith Empire from turning hot.
Ultimately they failed, the war blossomed new, but their actions still prevented the deaths of millions of lives.

But that was over two decades ago. Some of the group disappeared while others settled down. Trying to forget the war and everything that happened.
That is until they got a call out of the blue. It was from an old friend, Merros, someone who pulled them out the fire all those years ago and was now in need of help himself. Czerka corporation was up to no good in the Rishi's Maze and he obviously needed their help.

But they were all far older now than they were back then. No less capable but their edge was blunted either way. Instead others took their place, for various reasons. Some would do it by their own choice, others finding them sent away in order to build their characters. Either way, a small motley crew of people would find themselves sitting in a cantina, glancing at a pair of large metal door that was meant to be their meeting point.

So four years ago our group wrapped up a FFG SWRPG campaign set in the Old Republic Era. And now we've started the sequel campaign to it. But instead of replaying our old characters we ended up playing as their offspring, with one player who wasn't around for the first one playing a new character.

On our cast of characters we have:
Tieron Ravenlocke, a Cathar mechanic who is the son of a Republic Commando Marksman. (My character)
Kyrae Sisk, a Sith Pureblood Bounty Hunter gadgeteer and seriously in debt after a swoop bike crash. The clone daughter of a now embittered Pureblood who has seen the Empire she wanted to return to its former glory now a dying relic thanks to internal strife and other factors.
Ross'ti Lan, a Trandoshan doctor who is adoptive son of a Togrutan slicer and noted pacifist.
Sirra Iskandar, a preppy Nautolan spaceship pilot.

So after a slightly awkward meeting between each other the characters are shown their own ship, an old beaten VS-7 Freighter that looks like it would fall apart at a glance. As well as the droid M-4 T-31. Onboard the ship they meet Artemis, who is Merros' successor in his organisation. Who tells them the ship is a gift for their parents past services and while they are in no obligation to find Merros an arrangement could be met between the two. But at the same time the Czerka corporation are the only ones who have the capability to locate him.

With further introductions done comes the matter of take off. What follows is cascade of failed rolls as the ugly face of the blank dice shows it face time and time again. Yet somehow the ship gets takes off, but not as planned...

quote:

With a sickening screech, the thrusters cough to life and the ship accelerates ... fast. Those of you not seated or holding onto something are thrown back into their seat as Sirra's orbit trajectory is calculated by a computer that doesn't seem to think organics care about G-Force.

Strain is handed out to all of the crew, with Tieron being the only exception due to the fact that his fall is cushioned by a stack of crates he's slammed into. But as a result a weeks worth of food is lost.

When it comes to navigation things are not great either as the dice refuse to work with the players. That is until I completely gently caress up and add 2 red dice by mistake as I had forgotten how to add dice to the sheet. But in the end one of the dice came up as a triumph so the NavComp issue was finally sorted out.

After discovering that the ship previously belonged to Kyrae's grandmother the new crew slowly settles in. Discussing where to go first they settle on the planet Coral, realizing they probably need to repair the ship a bit more to make it functionable.

During the hyperspace trip there's an argument of who gets to sleep where, with Ross arguing with Kyrae over who would get the captain's quarters. In the end that is settled with a game of "Spin the scalpel" where the winner is... M-4 T-31. (The GM spent a darkside point after a roll off.) The others get to use the bunk beds in the opposite room.

M-4 T-31 posted:

Worry not, should you require the need of a larger bed for organic coital reasons I am amenable to propositions and deals.

Several hours later the ship reaches the planet, before they even time to do anything there is a hail from it. From the Mon Calamari Society for Anthropology.

Dr. Konch posted:

I AM DOCTOR KONCH OF THE MON CAL ANTHROPOLOGY UNIVERSITY AND I HAVE COME TO STUDY THE CRABS. I need your help, Czerka is FOILING my RESEARCH. THE CRABS NEED YOU. I have money.

Dr. Konch posted:

"YES, THE OLD RESEARCH BASE HAD A LANDING PAD. IT'S FULL OF CRABS NOW HOWEVER. THE CRABS DON'T LIKE PEOPLE

Turns out that the landing pad is indeed full of crabs. A lot of crabs. Because as the ship approaches the crew can see a teeming mass of them. The vast majority of them are the size of man, and then there are bigger ones, then even bigger ones. And they do not like the sight of the ship as it approaches, snapping with ill intent at it with their claws.
The crew wisely decides to find an alternate landing point and finds an outcrop nearby that they can use. It's a bit raised up by thanks to Tieron and Kyrea they manage to build a basic elevator that lets them go up and down safely.

Dr. Konch posted:

Tell FBLTHP to let you in, you can't miss him, he's the LARGEST red CRAB you've ever SEEN. He thinks I'm his mother.

With boots firmly on the ground the team moves towards the installation where their Dr. Konch is supposed to be. After some walking through the jungle, crew members marveling at the sight because for most of them they've never left the safety of their own home world. They reach the research lab and...

quote:

As you step past the passage, you feel a shadow blot out the sun over you. A massive red crab, at least two to three time Tieron size hangs off the side of the rock, half of it's body shading you in darkness. It's myriad of eyes and stalks observe you curiously. The crab's crimson shell scintillates in the sun, giving it an almost regal appearance.

Dr. Konch comes running out of his hut, the Selkath dressed from head to toe in crab shells, his entire selkath body hidden under a makeshift crab costume.
"FBLTHP THEY'RE FRIENDS, THEY'VE COME TO HELP US."

And that's where we left of last week. This week's session will be interesting.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Cooked Auto posted:

In the end that is settled with a game of "Spin the scalpel" where the winner is... M-4 T-31. (The GM spent a darkside point after a roll off.) The others get to use the bunk beds in the opposite room.

I cackled.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Question: How are Jedi as a class (or whatever) in this game? I've found that in any SW game, paper or video, they are either A) Hideously overpowered or B) Nerfed to the point of worthlessness because they used to be overpowered.

I don't want to sound like a knobhead, I just like "gish" classes in games in general.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

JustJeff88 posted:

Question: How are Jedi as a class (or whatever) in this game? I've found that in any SW game, paper or video, they are either A) Hideously overpowered or B) Nerfed to the point of worthlessness because they used to be overpowered.

I don't want to sound like a knobhead, I just like "gish" classes in games in general.

They're actually not too bad aside from one or two overtuned Force powers.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Force powers take a lot of xp to get actually usable, but lightsabers are absolutely terrifying.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

wiegieman posted:

Force powers take a lot of xp to get actually usable, but lightsabers are absolutely terrifying.

Now that I remember from the first campaign as the Pureblood player got their hands one that she took from some crook that had stolen it as well. Used to good effect at times.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I'm playing the fairy knight in Night's DX game; it's great.

Things Fionnuala Asphodel is calm and collected about : killing monsters, supernatural bullshit, The Thing taking over Detroit.
Things Fionnuala Asphodel acts shockingly unprofessional about : getting into verbal slapfights with that stupid Lady-Clerk Anemone, Vice Minister of Lilies, thinks she's better than me, what a jerk.
Things Fionnuala Asphodel lost her goddamn poo poo over: discovering that it wasn't that her parents never bothered to search for her when she was a child, it was that she'd been replaced and her replacement was living a happy contented life that didn't involve being raised from childhood to be an exterminator for the fae.

So she made a split decision that, at the very least, she could make sure one of the two of them got out of this happy, and lied that her fetch wasn't the fake fairy clone, she was. She is very lucky that her fetch has never read a changeling story, ever! The chances are very good that the lie's gonna fall apart anyway, but at least she tried.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Sorry, what system is DX? It sounds like a neat game.

VVV Thank you VVV

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 31, 2020

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Sorry, what system is DX? It sounds like a neat game.

Double Cross or XX , it's a Japanese system meant for semi-monstrous (or not so semi) anime superheroes with a lot of granularity between different power sets.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Last time on Edge of the Old Republic the party ventured into the Rishi Maze and came upon the Planet of Coral and met Doctor Koncho, a Selkath with more than one screw loose. And his massive (as big as a tank) pet crab Fblthp.

The conversation with the Doctor is... interesting.

Dr Konch posted:

“Czerka ha’ been DESECRATEEN the SPUWNING GRUND’s of daes peacefoul creatoures. DEY BE harrvestin’ de eggs off da pits and grounding em’ up inta FUEL.”
“OUTLANDERS, dese Qylubs haf done nathing to nobody, dey’ cry out in pain at de loss of their yung’uns, ye’ have to help them.”

But beyond that it's hard for the party to get through his various rants and raves to learn anything significant. Especially throwing ire against his ex wife who he blames for all this. Even if it's obvious that he's also kind of lonely and misses her in moments of lucidity.
One thing they do learn however is that there is a Gree Genesis Engine on the planet, which Konch's ex is currently researching. The Gree being an ancient race of hyper advanced isolationists that are responsible for a lot of technological marvels.

So the party decides that talking to the ex is probably their next step to learn what is going on.
Following a map of the area they make it to a series of geometric stone constructions, and as they progress further and further they notice signs of civilization. Reaching a courtyard they come across a small camp of hab units, it appears abandoned but after calling out they encounter T0-U2. The droid caretaker and conservator of the Coral Museum of Archeology. Doctor Sphyrnide, Konch's ex, is currently busy with further digs underneath.

Talking to the droid it turns out that Konch is considered persona-non-grata at the museum premises due to being associated with Czerka Corporation.

T0-U2 posted:

Wonderful ! I am overjoyed to know Dr. Sphyrnide will not have to terminate you. Disposing of bodies has become quiet difficult these days. We have little places to bury them now !

It is clear that there is a lot going on on Coral and the party suspects they have more than just crabs to rescue. The droid leads them inside one of the structures, inside they find plenty of museum like displays. The droid happily chatting about various finds as it leads them underground to a large flooded cavern.

The droid calls out for Dr. Sphyrnide. But nothing happens. Minutes pass and there's really nothing happening. But in the corner of their eyes Sirra and Tieron see something moving under the water. Kyrae manages to see something launch itself out of the water, but is powerless to do anything as something grabs Ross and pulls him under.

As the others panic slightly the water churns and forths for a few moments before the trandoshans head emerges. Then he is launched out of the water back onto land.
Suddenly a massive Karkarodon (Walking Shark alien) emerges from the water. Nine feet tall and rippling with muscles Dr. Sphyrnide isn't exactly what the party had expected. She takes a good look at the party.

Dr. Sphyrnide posted:

Not mercenaries, not hunters, smell fresh, you offworlder. Smell like ... crab.

Then they drop a mention that they had just recently been talking to Konch and her reaction isn't slow. Quickly calling him a backstabbing slime for making a deal with Czerka.
To the party it's obvious that something is going on here and talking with her manage to learn that it seems like Czerka has been playing both sides. They also learn that Sphyrnide is also surprisingly fond of the Qylub, the crab species that Konch hired them to save.

Dr. Sphyrnide posted:

If Czerka hurt Qylub then Jykus not make deal with them. He love crab as much as he love me. We adopt Fblthp together, love that big crab.

After some further back and forth with the doctor it seems as if Czerka has indeed been playing the couple against each other. Both of them loving the planet itself and dedicating themselves to their work as an escape from the war and galactic politics. Something which strikes a chord of recognition in some of the party members.

Tieron and Kyrae, being the mechanically inclined members of the group, agree to help the doctor rebuild a turbolaser into a mining laser, as a sign of good faith to her. The slight quibble is that the laser is underwater so they're given a pair of wetsuits. Alongside a crate of some... scavenged blasters and demolition charges to help in their sabotage efforts on the Czerka base.

Dr. Sphyrnide posted:

Here advice, do not mate with co-workers. Make peer evaluation awkward.

After Tieron makes a slight fool out of himself for trying to be courteous about changing clothes the three are off to modify a turbo laser. (I'm playing up Tieron to be very awkward around girls in this case. He's essentially a tall cat himbo with Brawn 3 but Presence 1.) Meanwhile Sirra and Ross takes a tour of the museum while they wait. With the Trandoshan doctor taking extra interest in the research about the Gree. Even if he's disappointed to learn their main focus is marine biology and not xenobiology-

Meanwhile things get hairy underwater as their work on the turbolaser nearly backfires on them due to Tieron's inexperience with weapons nearly leads to the weapon exploding but Kyrae's military experience manages to fix the issue and before long the doctor has her mining laser.

As the party heads back to the ship to rest as the day is coming to an end they are treated with a gorgeous sunset as the binary suns of Coral descend beneath the horizon. For many in the group this is the first time they've ever seen one on another planet. Everyone in agreeance that the planet is very pretty and they hate seeing something bad happening to it.

The group sets out the next day for the Czerka base. The journey is tiring but before long they have their goal in sight. What seemed to be impassable no man's land on their map turns out to be a long and pristine white beach. In the distance looms their goal, the base itself essentially located on a small island. Lacking in options the group decides that the most obvious path is the best one in this case and heads straight for it.

They do not get far until the automated defenses pick them up and one of the black dots that had been hovering around the base peels off towards them to reveal a droid troop carrying three security droids.

CZ-1 Battle Droids posted:

"YOU ARE TRESPASSING ON CZERKA PROPERTY, SUBMIT YOURSELF FOR VIOLENT TERMINATION."
"ROGER ROGER, Kill them."

What follows is a fight that is only prolonged due to the fact that the Roll 20 diceroller for the game repeatedly decides to crash on us. Much to our annoyance. But in the end the droids are brought down. With Kyrae being the most capable fighter of the group, even if Ross acquits himself well by disemboweling a droid with his claws. The party receives some damage from their blasters, as well as their carrier making several strafing runs. But that too is brought down, with the two mechanics of the party realizing that it could even be salvaged for their own use.
But what that might be remains to be seen because that's where we left of this week. Next week we're going to tackle the base and hopefully save those crabs.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Railing Kill posted:

:psyduck:

Galaxy brain: inflict this on D&D players.

Universe brain: inflict this on Shadowrun players. (Or anything out of genre)

Is our contract to kill a shaman milking a... whatever that is?
No
Is this the contact our Johnson told us about?
No
Ok let's go around

edit:
*One hour later, while making a quick tactical retreat after the run went pear shaped because of course*
AHH IT'S STILL IN THE ROAD
KILL IT KILL IT
NO IT MIGHT BE A DRAGON AND IT WOULD KILL US
AAAAAAA

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 1, 2020