Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

A .150 hitting catcher is not worth $4.5 million so Zunino I can understand at least. Morton though :(

Charlie had a bad year by traditional stats but it's such a small sample size and he got unlucky (4.74 ERA vs 3.45 FIP) and still had a 9.9 K/9 with a K/BB ratio that was basically identical to 2019 when he finished third for Cy Young

Look at how Charlie sat the Astros the gently caress down in game 7 of the ALCS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

howe_sam posted:

Cora resigned iirc which is why he's considered the favorite for the Boston job now.

I did not know this and it amused me very much.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

You'd think baseball would at least act like they give a single gently caress about the cans.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Hizzoner had his ego stroked to completion and now the rest of the world can carry on.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Kirios posted:

You'd think baseball would at least act like they give a single gently caress about the cans.

Why start now?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

STAC Goat posted:

I did not know this and it amused me very much.

At the press conference where Cora announced he was stepping down, Sox ownership fell over each other praising him. I don't doubt for a moment that Henry, Kennedy and the other owners want him back, and the fact that they haven't hired him already says that Bloom really is getting to hire "his" guy.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/bnicholsonsmith/status/1322237089338064896

He sucked a lot so this is good.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Lol

https://twitter.com/nypost_mets/status/1322253210950815746?s=21

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

:chefkiss:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
I'm not even sure what to do with a Mets ownership that doesn't treat its players like inconveniently sentient livestock.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
glad to see the Mets toxic ownership about to be replaced by a hopefully-not-quite-as-toxic one

all of our FAs are gone with the possible exception of Stroman

I think they'll buy Ramos out for $1.5M rather than giving him $10M for his age-34 season, and I assume Betances is going to invoke his player option for $6.8M rather than test the market

we really, really need pitching so I'd expect Cohen to make a strong effort towards retaining Stroman and probably also go after a high-upside FA like Walker or Paxton (please not Bauer though)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Julio Cruz posted:

glad to see the Mets toxic ownership about to be replaced by a hopefully-not-quite-as-toxic one

all of our FAs are gone with the possible exception of Stroman

I think they'll buy Ramos out for $1.5M rather than giving him $10M for his age-34 season, and I assume Betances is going to invoke his player option for $6.8M rather than test the market

we really, really need pitching so I'd expect Cohen to make a strong effort towards retaining Stroman and probably also go after a high-upside FA like Walker or Paxton (please not Bauer though)

Why don't you want the best pitcher in the league? Cause he's a dipshit on twitter? meh

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
He is not the best pitcher in the league lol. I’m not gonna argue with you but we can revisit that claim after this season.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Booooooooo

I wanted a slapfight

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
lol at believing the Mets don't already have the best pitcher in the league

Bauer is at best like #4 and yes the reason I don't want him is cause he's a toxic rear end in a top hat and I don't want to have to support people like that

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Why don't you want the best pitcher in the league? Cause he's a dipshit on twitter? meh

Its fun to cheer for people you might like versus people you don't like.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Bauer is clubhouse cancer too but nobody wants to talk about that for some reason.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Intruder posted:

Charlie had a bad year by traditional stats but it's such a small sample size and he got unlucky (4.74 ERA vs 3.45 FIP) and still had a 9.9 K/9 with a K/BB ratio that was basically identical to 2019 when he finished third for Cy Young

Look at how Charlie sat the Astros the gently caress down in game 7 of the ALCS

Oh yeah, I think he has another year in him to try for a ring with the Rays. I’m disappointed they didn’t pick up his option.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy
Bauer has had one full season with an ERA under 4 and is a big enough rear end in a top hat that he has been traded in part because of it more than once. He also has all these crazy ideas about starting every game on one less day of rest and doing a one year contract every year. Just absolutely loaded with red flags.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Bauer is clubhouse cancer too but nobody wants to talk about that for some reason.

I don't think this is true.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Its fun to cheer for people you might like versus people you don't like.

99.999999999% of players are chuds. They just talk about it less than he does. There are way worse people to cheer for than him.

GalacticAcid posted:

He is not the best pitcher in the league lol. I’m not gonna argue with you but we can revisit that claim after this season.
He was this year.

Strasburgs UCL posted:

Bauer has had one full season with an ERA under 4 and is a big enough rear end in a top hat that he has been traded in part because of it more than once. He also has all these crazy ideas about starting every game on one less day of rest and doing a one year contract every year. Just absolutely loaded with red flags.

Teams should love his 1 year deal thing.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Orioles claim Yolmer Sanchez off the White Sox, glove first second baseman from what it appears? Hope this doesn't lead to them doing something really loving stupid like not picking up Iglesias' option, considering it's like 3M and we don't really have anyone in the wings for SS.

E: What it does hopefully mean is banishing Andrew Velazquez off to the great DFA in the sky because good lord his bat was a black hole.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
deGrom was better than Bauer in every way that's not based on a .215 BABIP

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

deGrom was better than Bauer in every way that's not based on a .215 BABIP

Yeah I think this is a fine point. So he was the 2nd best pitcher in the league. He's still a guy you should want on your team. Especially on a 1 year deal. It's a no brainer.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

mcmagic posted:

He was this year.

Three good months against the league’s worst lineups lol

In other news

https://twitter.com/robbiertempfel/status/1322267134794244102?s=21

Waddell is a depth arm but imo Tropeano looked pretty good at times this year, might turn out to be a good pickup for the Mets

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I mean was Ozzie not available for the white Sox manager spot?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Not wanting Bauer on a one year deal is stupid, that's every teams dream. Good asset on a cost certain team safe deal because there is no long term risk

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

99.999999999% of players are chuds. They just talk about it less than he does. There are way worse people to cheer for than him.

Just cause you need to find reasons to make it ok to cheer for the evil Yankees doesn't mean we all want to find similar ones for our own teams.

My favorite player growing up was Carlos Delgado and since then is Jose Bautista. Neither is a chud and are genuinely good people that do good things but keep pretending who you cheer for doesn't matter.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
People don't like cheering for assholes, it's not that complicated.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

bewbies posted:

speaking of historical dodgers

I got into Jackie Robinson stuff last night and decided to fire up an old excel model I made years ago for predicting how hockey players would age, adapted it for baseball, and then reversed it, in order to create a career projection for what JR might've done had he come into the majors as a young lad.

It has some flaws: it isn't really tuned for player type, so in JR's case it is probably a bit harsh on both his SB and EBH numbers and maybe a touch favorable on his HRs and BA. It also follows a more traditional career trajectory, which JR certainly didn't have: he wasn't at his best until age 30 for obvious reasons, so there's some wobble there (in other words, why his OPS was higher as a fantasy 27 year old than as an actual 28 year old). I also didn't really check my cells very carefully so I probably made a mistake in there somewhere but the numbers seem plausible.

Anyway I can't actually do WAR but my best guess is he would've ended up just a hair behind Hornsby as best ever 2B for career WAR.

This is pretty cool! I think you're probably pretty close on your WAR guess.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
dismissing Bauer as just a chud is to ignore his rampant misogyny and love for harassing random women on Twitter

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Popete posted:

People don't like cheering for assholes, it's not that complicated.

A significant portion of my frustration with the Mookie trade was that Mookie has a history of good works and Verdugo...doesn't.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The problem with Bauer is that he’s cringe.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

I don't think this is true.
There were some pretty strong signals that he was clubhouse cancer in Cleveland, based on what people said when he left.

Well if there's one thing hedge fund billionaires are known for, it's NOT treating laborers like expendable commodities!

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 30, 2020

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
so is there any juicy drama other than the center wall fiasco that i should know about pre-2020? sorry i'm a new baseball fan

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

There were some pretty strong signals that he was clubhouse cancer in Cleveland, based on what people said when he left.

I mean, didn't Bauer himself tell a story about how nobody liked him on one team so he went up to everybody in the clubhouse and asked them to their face why they didn't like him and his main takeaway was that he was just too smart and they were all jealous? There's nothing about him that doesn't seem insufferable.

EDIT: From his SI profile "I don’t know if I’m not afraid of sticking middle fingers in people’s faces, or if I enjoy it. But I end up doing that a lot."

EDIT2: I mean I'm not gonna root against him or switch teams if he was on the Yankees (Cole existing should preclude this from even being an issue) but it's like how I need to root for Chapman to get saves: It sucks.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 30, 2020

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
The Angels just refuse to improve.

https://twitter.com/FabianArdaya/status/1322271829667373057

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

There were some rumors about Tony La Russia moving from Arte Moreno's Special Advisor to GM after Eppler got canned so they already have improved in a sense. Kind of.

But yeah, every GM they are looking at seems to be terrible and mostly against ~analytics~ last I had read

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 30, 2020

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I am surprised hand cleared waivers, as this report indicates

https://twitter.com/mandybell02/status/1322297235833556995?s=21

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hand clearing waivers is a *really* bad sign for FA's this offseason.

That's not even the worse candidate they're considering:

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1322024806821355522

If you're not aware McLeod is the guy who ran the pitching side of our farm into the ground for almost a decade, before being shunted sideways into a do nothing advisor position for somebody who (hopefully) actually knows how to draft and develop pitching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Not only is Osuna gone, but the Astros are also done playing the Devo game now.

https://twitter.com/jakemkaplan/status/1322282922246885376?s=21

A good day.