Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Odd, do you already have a degree or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

Flying_Crab posted:

Odd, do you already have a degree or something?

Yea I got a BE out of pocket and am currently getting my MSN using my GI Bill. I wasn't particularly surprised that my application was denied.

Being 82 days short of the yellow ribbon sucks but I'll take 90% GI Bill any day. I was set to get my last 90 days doing funeral ADOS but our new 1stSgt didn't like my haircut.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Ah, that makes a whole lot more sense. 1SG is a dick.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

So I met with the recruiter this afternoon. He was very nice, as I'd expect any salesman to be. Basically he told me, at this point in my career. if I join I'm losing money, I'm not doing it for my career, etc. He said he guaranteed I'd lose money in the deal and the only reason he'd recommend joining is if I was in it for all the other reasons.

He's going to look to see if all my IT certs would enable me to skip ahead a few weeks in AIT like it does for people in the medical field. Also my options in MN do not include the 17C series MOS just the 25 series.

As I said before I have a 3rd round interview on monday for a job thats going to pay, presumably around $120k, so this may all be moot as I cant afford to turn down that much money.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
If you're still dead-set on doing the Guard/Reserves thing, I cannot stress going towards for the Air Force. Most of the "lol Chair Force" jokes are pretty true. We have some older junior enlisted in my squadron, and they're all treated like adults. I can imagine it's only better in a communications squadron. That ain't happening in the army.

The Air Guard still does deploy, but if you get a comm job or something, it's probably not going to be often. I've been at my Guard base for about 8 years, and I'm not aware of many, if any comm troops deploying. My previous squadron was a mobile air traffic control unit, and they went about 12 years between deployments.

That recruiter was right, you will lose money while you're away for training and deployment. Possibly a lot of money. Base pay for a new E-3 is like $2000/month before taxes, plus BAH. Unless you really, really want to do it, I'd forget about it.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

pkells posted:

If you're still dead-set on doing the Guard/Reserves thing, I cannot stress going towards for the Air Force. Most of the "lol Chair Force" jokes are pretty true. We have some older junior enlisted in my squadron, and they're all treated like adults. I can imagine it's only better in a communications squadron. That ain't happening in the army.

The Air Guard still does deploy, but if you get a comm job or something, it's probably not going to be often. I've been at my Guard base for about 8 years, and I'm not aware of many, if any comm troops deploying. My previous squadron was a mobile air traffic control unit, and they went about 12 years between deployments.

That recruiter was right, you will lose money while you're away for training and deployment. Possibly a lot of money. Base pay for a new E-3 is like $2000/month before taxes, plus BAH. Unless you really, really want to do it, I'd forget about it.

Worth noting also that AF deployments will typically be 4-6 months if you get deployed. Army and Navy deployments are much more likely to be 365s. The difference in the amount of pay you'd lose is staggering. At least the AF will hedge those losses through shorter deployments (typically).

Do you have a degree? If you become an officer the pay scale will at least be somewhat more commensurate.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

Drilling is super lame and a terrible way to spend a weekend but some units do "flex drilling" and only meet once or twice a quarter.

BaseballPCHiker:

So, my experience has been entirely active duty, but my squadron shares a couple of buildings with a reserve unit. This is all Air Force comm/cyber personnel, so I don't know if it would be an option in, say, the Army National Guard or Reserves, but some of our Air Force reservists do their entire year's drilling obligation in a single shot. They just work as part of the active duty squadron for a month or so, and then disappear back to their civilian jobs for the rest of the year. Back when I was NCOIC of a network management (routers/switches/firewalls/etc) shop, it was always nice to have an extra guy around to help out.

The real trick for guard/reserves seems to be whether or not your unit culture sucks. That's something that you may be able to suss out before joining. From what my various ANG buddies have told me, they all had the chance to visit their units before they joined up, to see if it would be a good fit (and, in turn, a chance for the unit to figure out whether they sucked). idk if that's a thing in the reserves, but it def seemed to be the case for the air guard.

As you could probably deduce from LingcodKilla's post, luck plays a role, but your job plays an even bigger role. I'm 3D172 - Cyber Transport Systems, which is a catch-all for network infrastructure, telephones, data links, and some other stuff. I can basically go anywhere active duty, and I can get deployed anywhere we have computers. I picked the job because I wanted to travel and I wanted to deploy. There are a few comm & intel jobs for computer touchers (programmer, etc) that basically don't deploy, so you could always try for one of those (if your local unit has them) if you want to stay in one place.

I've generally had a good time. Many, maybe most, of the posters here are pretty sour on the military. I guess I'll be other side of that scale. I dropped out of university because I couldn't stand to go to another day of class as an accounting major and I didn't want to sink even more money into a new major. I thought I'd do a single enlistment, then ride the GI Bill back to college. Almost 13 years later, I'm still in. I can live very comfortably on my salary. I deployed a handful of times. I've lived in Germany, Italy, Korea (the good one), and a bunch of US states. There's a lot of nonsense bullshit that comes with being enlisted, especially if you're active duty or you deploy and do the job every day, but it trails off when you get promoted beyond a certain point. After that, it's mostly dealing with other people and their bullshit. At the end of the day, if I could go back to being 19 again, I'd still enlist.

Basically, if you want to join up, do your thing.

Also, Reddit on the whole is a cesspit, but the Air Force subreddit is mostly focused on USAF, and it doesn't generally suck. They regularly have newbie threads that would probably provide better guidance from people who recently joined the ANG or AF Reserves. GiP doesn't have many people who are still in, so the advice that we provide is largely dated and colored by experiences that may no longer be applicable.

Finally, you said that you do enterprise routing and switching. My career field, 3D1X2, is the one that maps directly to your current job. I spent most of my career working in and then running router/switch shops at both the airbase and enterprise level, so I can say from personal experience that prior experience (in particular Cisco experience) is treasured. When people come out of tech school later in life, they're usually treated a bit better than their 18 year old peers, and that goes triple for older Airmen who actually know how to do their jobs.

Bellum
Jun 3, 2011

All war is deception.
The objective view is that there are a few opportunities in the military that might afford you a very specific and comfortable career, for a specific time and place, and there are numerous ways to get absolutely hosed with little recourse

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

Arc Light posted:

BaseballPCHiker:

So, my experience has been entirely active duty, but my squadron shares a couple of buildings with a reserve unit. This is all Air Force comm/cyber personnel, so I don't know if it would be an option in, say, the Army National Guard or Reserves, but some of our Air Force reservists do their entire year's drilling obligation in a single shot. They just work as part of the active duty squadron for a month or so, and then disappear back to their civilian jobs for the rest of the year. Back when I was NCOIC of a network management (routers/switches/firewalls/etc) shop, it was always nice to have an extra guy around to help out.

The real trick for guard/reserves seems to be whether or not your unit culture sucks. That's something that you may be able to suss out before joining. From what my various ANG buddies have told me, they all had the chance to visit their units before they joined up, to see if it would be a good fit (and, in turn, a chance for the unit to figure out whether they sucked). idk if that's a thing in the reserves, but it def seemed to be the case for the air guard.

As you could probably deduce from LingcodKilla's post, luck plays a role, but your job plays an even bigger role. I'm 3D172 - Cyber Transport Systems, which is a catch-all for network infrastructure, telephones, data links, and some other stuff. I can basically go anywhere active duty, and I can get deployed anywhere we have computers. I picked the job because I wanted to travel and I wanted to deploy. There are a few comm & intel jobs for computer touchers (programmer, etc) that basically don't deploy, so you could always try for one of those (if your local unit has them) if you want to stay in one place.

I've generally had a good time. Many, maybe most, of the posters here are pretty sour on the military. I guess I'll be other side of that scale. I dropped out of university because I couldn't stand to go to another day of class as an accounting major and I didn't want to sink even more money into a new major. I thought I'd do a single enlistment, then ride the GI Bill back to college. Almost 13 years later, I'm still in. I can live very comfortably on my salary. I deployed a handful of times. I've lived in Germany, Italy, Korea (the good one), and a bunch of US states. There's a lot of nonsense bullshit that comes with being enlisted, especially if you're active duty or you deploy and do the job every day, but it trails off when you get promoted beyond a certain point. After that, it's mostly dealing with other people and their bullshit. At the end of the day, if I could go back to being 19 again, I'd still enlist.

Basically, if you want to join up, do your thing.

Also, Reddit on the whole is a cesspit, but the Air Force subreddit is mostly focused on USAF, and it doesn't generally suck. They regularly have newbie threads that would probably provide better guidance from people who recently joined the ANG or AF Reserves. GiP doesn't have many people who are still in, so the advice that we provide is largely dated and colored by experiences that may no longer be applicable.

Finally, you said that you do enterprise routing and switching. My career field, 3D1X2, is the one that maps directly to your current job. I spent most of my career working in and then running router/switch shops at both the airbase and enterprise level, so I can say from personal experience that prior experience (in particular Cisco experience) is treasured. When people come out of tech school later in life, they're usually treated a bit better than their 18 year old peers, and that goes triple for older Airmen who actually know how to do their jobs.

To add: Those folks who knock out all the drills in one go are what they call IMA (Individual Mobilization Augmentee) Reservists. They are as you said assigned to Active Duty units to perform full time support. Unfortunately this program doesnt really exist in the ANG as the Guard has its own mission set + has to be constantly training to support the States needs if necessary. Traditionally, only the highly specialized career fields in the ANG, like Special Tactics/Flying Career fields have the green light to do quarterly style drills as they often need at least a week of time to keep their operators current on training.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Thanks for your perspective Arc Light.

I mentioned it briefly before but I did end up getting the IT security job that I was gunning for, and got a huge pay raise switching roles. The recruiter was very forthright with me as well. Basically I dont think I could even afford to leave my job and join now if I wanted to. Between paying the rent for my father, and an upcoming kid I cant even swing it if I tried.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I saw that you were up for it a couple of months ago, but I didn't realize you'd gotten the job. Hell yeah, congrats. Forget about joining the mil; get that bread.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Hey active duty thread,

I have several stupid questions, I did my best to check the sources in the OP for anwsers but will ask here hopefully unobtrusively. I think the OP might need to be updated re: the Navy ROTC link: https://www.netc.navy.mil/NSTC/NROTC/

Q: How flexible is your MOS? Is it assigned based on your ASVAB score? Is it unheard of for someone with a high asvab to choose an infantry MOS?

Thanks and more to come if its OK

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

The Scientist posted:

Q: How flexible is your MOS? Is it assigned based on your ASVAB score? Is it unheard of for someone with a high asvab to choose an infantry MOS?

Thanks and more to come if its OK

Infantry draws people with the lowest and the highest ASVAB scores. Your recruiter may try to talk you out of it. Ignore that. Tell them you want 18 X-ray instead.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Also, you are speaking of enlisting, right? And not being an officer?

If enlisted, the contract is what you get. Whatever it says on it for MOS and schools, that is what it is. 11X and Airborne? You’ll get em unless you fail the PT test.

Officer side is a far bigger uncertainty. The Army, for its flaws, is nice with regards to enlisting because you know the job and schools and can ask them to be on the paper.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
And if you're lucky they'll actually be on the paper.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

Godholio posted:

And if you're lucky can read they'll actually be on the paper.

Fixed it

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Do note that it can differ for each branch. You mention Navy ROTC in your question. Are you looking at going in the Navy or the Army?

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
My situation is weird and I'm probly gonna get laughed at itt but 1) I turn 33 in Aug (so above most age req's except for Army Reserves and Navy reserves afaict) 2) graduated w/ Bachelors in Computer Engineering in May 2020 and now I'm in grad school for masters in same, but didn't originally do ROTC, and apparently too old to enter ROTC if I were to do another bachelors and take a commission 3) have titanium plate in left hand & some scoliosis

Point #2 is related to another question: are there programs that allow people to take commissions (or even enlist at a higher grade) if they have 4-year degrees but not ROTC? Specifically for Navy, Marines or Army?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

The Scientist posted:

My situation is weird and I'm probly gonna get laughed at itt but 1) I turn 33 in Aug (so above most age req's except for Army Reserves and Navy reserves afaict) 2) graduated w/ Bachelors in Computer Engineering in May 2020 and now I'm in grad school for masters in same, but didn't originally do ROTC, and apparently too old to enter ROTC if I were to do another bachelors and take a commission 3) have titanium plate in left hand & some scoliosis

You don't have to do Bachelor's in the Army ROTC. You do a set number of years as a full time student, and you need a bachelor’s. Which you already have. AFROTC is same but wants three years for prior enlisted, four for others, and I don't know about Navy. However, you can do Army ROTC in two years, so you could top up a Master's while waiting for those years. Work-study and research can be read in as the full time student requirement.

Upper age limit if you don't get a scholarship is 39 for Army ROTC, with I believe no-fuss until 35, and waivers up to the 39.

It'll change a bit on the ROTC Battalion and what the regional manpower levels are, but I'd contact your local ROTC via phone and ask. Or you can try Army officer candidate school if you want that route, skipping ROTC completely, and you just do Basic and OCS at FT Benning. This you can ask from a local Army recruitment office.

Doing ROTC as a 30-someyear old can be demanding in ways you don't realize, mainly in being able to connect with your peers. I'm 31 now, and I have two years left in Air Force ROTC as a prior Finnish and US Army soldier. It's not hard, it's just isn't as easy as one might think, and you have to put huge effort into connecting with your peers.

Your plate won't be a problem as long as you get it waivered. If you maintain full range of motion, and suffer no real ill consequences (pain not withstanding), you'll likely be fine. Don't mention the scoliosis unless they discover it themselves, it's always a questionable and a value-judgement diagnosis if you have it or if you don't.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 15, 2021

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Enlist and get your commission through OCS

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
If you have a bachelors degree there is no excuse not to enlist with an OCS contract. You're going to be old for your rank regardless, may as well be treated better and make more money while you're doing it.

More importantly, what do you want to get out of your military experience? Specifically, if you get out at the end of your commitment because you don't enjoy the military lifestyle, how will your experience help you as a civilian? There's a lot of MOS's that are very difficult to translate to anything a civilian might value.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The Scientist posted:

Point #2 is related to another question: are there programs that allow people to take commissions (or even enlist at a higher grade) if they have 4-year degrees but not ROTC? Specifically for Navy, Marines or Army?

Why on earth are you looking at this at all? (basically, Mustang's questions are really loving important to have answers to BEFORE doing this)

The answer to your question is OCS (the AF calls it OTS). It's the commissioning program you apply to if you already have the required degree. Different service differ in the details, but you can apply as either an enlisted member or as a civilian. If you're a civilian, you're sworn in as an E-4 while you're in training, then you get discharged and commissioned effective the next day.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
What do you want to do in the military, why do you want to do it,nand why do you want to do it on the military?

Non-ROTC options are OCS (strangely, the Navy doesn't call it 'enlisting in OCS, though technically you do enlist, so I thought they were messing with you, but it's probably branch vocabulary differences.

There is also ODS (officer development school) for direct commission for doctors, lawyers (JAG), etc.

I think engineering duty officers (might be reserve only) go through ODS. An enlisted recruiter can guide you to the right people easier than ROTC recruiters can for any branch but the Army because the other branches utilize instructors with no personnel training for their ROTC recruiters.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
My reasons are sort of ludicrous.

1. Lifelong interest in military history
2. interest in self-improvement & discipline
3. interest in toughening up (physically & emotionally), building self confidence
4. feelings of inadequacy of not having served inmilitary
5. desire to test myself
6. desire for adventure
7. patriotism

I'm interested in infantry in particular. If my only option was an MOS that was like IT or cybersecurity I don't think I'd wanna sign on for 5 years or whatever, I'd just stay in my career field in civilian world

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Enlist and get your commission through OCS

Mustang posted:

If you have a bachelors degree there is no excuse not to enlist with an OCS contract.

you both mean in reserves right since Im 33? that's my only option re: enlistment. Do people enlist in the reserves then go to officer's school?

p.s. I am aware that I am lame and cliche af

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

The Scientist posted:

you both mean in reserves right since Im 33? that's my only option re: enlistment. Do people enlist in the reserves then go to officer's school?

No, he means commissioning with enlistment in the contract. The enlistment is just a 2 month deal before you get the OCS date, because you attend Basic Combat Training during it. You have a contract to go to Officer Candidate School.

Active Duty Infantry officer isn't the way to look for more physical fitness. You should already be in good to great shape, or you will fall out in rucks, runs, or something else. Infantry Officers are generally studs, with few outliers who get screwed over with assignments and career choices because no one likes fat infantry officers. You don't want to be a slow and weak infantry officer.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

The Scientist posted:

My reasons are sort of ludicrous.

3. interest in toughening up (physically & emotionally), building self confidence
5. desire to test myself
6. desire for adventure
7. patriotism

I'm interested in infantry in particular. If my only option was an MOS that was like IT or cybersecurity I don't think I'd wanna sign on for 5 years or whatever, I'd just stay in my career field in civilian world

Age eligibility to enlist is between 17-35 years old per the US Army's website

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Officers of all types spend most of their time doing white collar office work. You will become very familiar with Microsoft office if you aren't already.

Life in a brigade combat team involves long days and lots of time spent in the field training for a rotation through one of the combat training centers. Turning red boxes into green boxes will consume most of your time.

The Scientist posted:

5. desire to test myself
6. desire for adventure
7. patriotism

While it may have it's moments, the combat arms life isn't nearly as fun or rewarding as you're likely imagining it to be. You can count on it to be rough on both your mental and physical health. Even the lifers aren't happy, just surviving to retirement.

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

The Scientist posted:

5. desire to test myself
6. desire for adventure
7. patriotism

1, 2, 3, 5, 6, and 7 will not be achieved through the military and all of them can be achieved outside of the military better.

The military isn't a magic factory where civilians go in and disciplined athletes come out. Everything you don't like about yourself you'll still have in the military, just with a whole lot less control over your life and some 20 year-old with a high-school education who can't spell "bachelor" telling you when you can go to the bathroom. You'll get most of what you want out of joining a boxing or BJJ club and saving up to travel on your own.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Oh and number 4 won't go away with service, it'll just be shifted to feelings of inadequacy for serving during peacetime and being a cherry boot bitch your whole career

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Or being physically broken and unable to do whatever.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Army bad, don't do it

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I put in a chit once to rent a car to visit Monte Cassino and it got denied due to the fact they didn’t approve me visiting a casino.

Nobody gives a gently caress about history in the modern military. We were docked all over the invasion zone of Sicily and Italy and nobody cared.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
On the other hand, I was TDY to Sainte Mere Eglise for two weeks during 75th D-Day party and trawled french homes and museums in my uniform with zero responsibilities. Every now and then you get to partake in some cool once in a lifetime poo poo.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Army bad, don't do it

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yo scientist dude, you got some scoliosis and wanna do stupid infantry poo poo, you're probably gonna end up with a completely hosed up spine and pain and mobility problems for life don't do that poo poo.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
OK I think my plan for now will be to wait til I finish start my thesis, I have about a year left of my master's. Now that I know that I have up until 35.

I may have hosed up by giving a rectuiter my phone number yesterday so :rip:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Don't loving do it, idiot.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

The Scientist posted:

I'm interested in infantry in particular.

So you're getting a Master's degree in computer science and you feel your life would be more fulfilling if you switched to a job whose skills are best summed up as:
- walking while carrying heavy things
- supervising 18 year olds while they walk while carrying heavy things
- occasionally shooting something

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Stultus Maximus posted:

So you're getting a Master's degree in computer science and you feel your life would be more fulfilling if you switched to a job whose skills are best summed up as:
- walking while carrying heavy things
- supervising 18 year olds while they walk while carrying heavy things
- occasionally shooting something

That last one almost never happens. There's also lots and lots of running for PT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013