Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

The North Tower posted:

Oh poo poo I forgot—Redmond WA Costco has an automated coffee machine in the food court! Is this going to be a thing now?

Is it a new kind of coffee machine? The other Seattle area stores I've visited had theirs turned off or outright disappeared since early this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

therobit posted:

The secret to getting kids over food hangups is to have them help select and prepare the food. My kids didn't like tomato sauce until I had them help me make it from scratch (well, I used canned diced tomatoes). Now they get excited about it.

The secret is to tell them they're gonna eat what you give em or they ain't eating.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

No Pants posted:

Is it a new kind of coffee machine? The other Seattle area stores I've visited had theirs turned off or outright disappeared since early this year.

I’m merely on hajj to the holy land for the holidays. I haven’t seen them yet in the godless SF Bay Area, but it’s a warm color (can’t remember if it’s red or orange-red) and says it has 5-or-so options such as mocha, black coffee, hot chocolate, etc.

Re: meat scraps. It always bothered me when people discount cheap nuggets. Sure, it’s the scrap meat, but what should we do with it? Throw it away? It’s not a prime cut but it’s chicken.

Any healthy late night snacks that are overlooked? I usually do a pack of edamame these days, and I don’t trust myself with the mozzarella sticks Costco (PBUC) provides in such blessèd quantity.

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Oct 30, 2020

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Buy a child an air fryer and you feed him for a day. Teach them how to shake out the right amount of freezer fries into the hopper whenever they want and you take easily a decade off their lifespan. Greatly reducing the number of single days' feedings you need to labor over.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

shadow puppet of a posted:

Buy a child an air fryer and you feed him for a day. Teach them how to shake out the right amount of freezer fries into the hopper whenever they want and you take easily a decade off their lifespan. Greatly reducing the number of single days' feedings you need to labor over.

Jokes on you. You’ll need them to help you find water to steal in 2060.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

MisterOblivious posted:

The problem is it should be half the size, just like the muffins. If you're cooking for 4, a
1.75-2lb package is probably more than a lot of people are comfortable with eating. The light packages of 1.75lbs is a serving for 7-9 people.

Look at it this way, a 3.5oz serving (that's "8 people" in the above example) has as much fat in it as 3/4 of a stick of butter.

Wagyu being fatty as heck is the whole point. You're not gonna be eating this daily (or not for long, at least, though it's hard to say if homelessness or heart disease will get you first) so go run a few extra laps or whatever.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

MisterOblivious posted:

The problem is it should be half the size, just like the muffins. If you're cooking for 4, a
1.75-2lb package is probably more than a lot of people are comfortable with eating. The light packages of 1.75lbs is a serving for 7-9 people.

Look at it this way, a 3.5oz serving (that's "8 people" in the above example) has as much fat in it as 3/4 of a stick of butter.

Sounds great to me. I think I'll get a pack for new years to share.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

MisterOblivious posted:

WHO THE gently caress eats a 3.5oz steak? I like my bacon thicker than that. 8oz steaks are pushing the lower boundry.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The North Tower posted:

I’m merely on hajj to the holy land for the holidays. I haven’t seen them yet in the godless SF Bay Area, but it’s a warm color (can’t remember if it’s red or orange-red) and says it has 5-or-so options such as mocha, black coffee, hot chocolate, etc.

They've been around for a couple of years in Seattle. They aren't that great, and from the occasional conversation I've had with the employees standing around near them, they hate them. They are owned and maintained by a third party, and a big chunk of time they don't properly dispense. I saw the inside of one once, and it was just big hoppers full of instant coffee, powered milk, sugar/sweetener, and cocoa.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Trastion posted:

WHO THE gently caress eats a 3.5oz steak? I like my bacon thicker than that. 8oz steaks are pushing the lower boundry.

Wagyu is nothing like bacon. I'd compare it more to foie gras. Plus the fattiness isn't the only problem. The flavor is intense, too. It really gets pretty overwhelming after that much. I managed to get down 5oz of it once and I felt very gross after. Normally I can house a prime 12oz ribeye without much problem.

I still wouldn't buy costco wagyu though. Get that poo poo at a fancy butcher so you can know the source.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Holiday savings booklet arrived!

Anyone have opinions on this Lasko whole room heater thats gonna be on sale? https://www.costco.com/lasko-motion-heat-whole-room-ceramic-heater.product.100677651.html

Some of the reviews on that page say it has a strange smell when turned on...

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Anyone have opinions on this Lasko whole room heater thats gonna be on sale? https://www.costco.com/lasko-motion-heat-whole-room-ceramic-heater.product.100677651.html

I have and like that one. Since it's on the ground I find I set the temp a few degrees lower than expected. I like the oscillation and the up and down feature.

My only complaint is it doesn't save the setting that was used last, so it's a few beeps every time you turn it on.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

fischtick posted:

When Jeffrey of YOSPOS puts the recipe on the front page, I'll ask him to put several PRINT RECIPE buttons throughout the back-story about how I was a blue collar city boy who was whisked off his feet to rural Wyoming by his rancher wife and learned not only how to make the food of the people there, but that I loved to make their food. The buttons will be mostly non-functional, but will sometimes display a pop-up with a 1" viewing window containing the first lines of the recipe.

Please don’t break the forums right after they got search working

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

StormDrain posted:

I have and like that one. Since it's on the ground I find I set the temp a few degrees lower than expected. I like the oscillation and the up and down feature.

My only complaint is it doesn't save the setting that was used last, so it's a few beeps every time you turn it on.

Nice, I'll keep on eye on the website to see if I can snag one when it goes on sale on the 5th

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Every small heater I've bought made a terrible smell for a few days, I assume it's a combination of treating it after manufacturing and the plastic shell heating and off gassing.

The one I bought for my Mom needed to be run on the garage/outside on and off for 2-3 days, then was fine, and she's really sensitive to those kinds of smells.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure we got our little Vornado space heater from the 'Co. It looks like any little Vornado but with a heating element in the front. Does a fantastic job of heating a small-to-medium sized room while sucking all of the moisture out of the air and your sinuses.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
yeah the vornado makes good space heaters. also had success with the ones made by delonghi that look like small radiators (cause thats what they are). they take longer to heat the room but seem to be really cheap to operate.

sincerely,
owner of a very old very cold home

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I love the parabola heaters just because they're always on and can give you a little surprise in the warehouse of a warm spot. Very good advertising.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://youtu.be/V-jmSjy2ArM

Space heaters are dumb wastes of money. Just put on a drat sweater.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
The only time I use one these days is when I'm taking a shower. I hate getting out of the shower and it's cold as poo poo.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

the 'stco scold is at it again

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Pennywise the Frown posted:

The only time I use one these days is when I'm taking a shower. I hate getting out of the shower and it's cold as poo poo.

I deeply regret not splurging on heated floors during my remodel.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Gaius Marius posted:

Put together enough costco space heaters and tower fans, and baby you got an an airfryer going.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Put together enough costco space heaters and tower fans, and baby you got an an airfryer going.

One weird to heat your home! Fire marshalls hate him!

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Virigoth posted:

I deeply regret not splurging on heated floors during my remodel.

you can get vent fans for bathrooms that both suck out humid air and also have a heater that blows hot air in so your bathroom is nice and toasty when you get out of the shower, its dope.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Panason...11VH2/203762029

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Captain Beans posted:

you can get vent fans for bathrooms that both suck out humid air and also have a heater that blows hot air in so your bathroom is nice and toasty when you get out of the shower, its dope.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Panason...11VH2/203762029

Yeah but if you don't have one now (me) you have to have a professional install it and drill a whole vent through your house.

That's one of the first things I wanted when I moved into my house. A bathroom vent fan. That and also a garbage disposal. But I'd need an electrician to come over to install some sort of outlet under my sink because nothing is there. And that sounds expensive.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Yeah but if you don't have one now (me) you have to have a professional install it and drill a whole vent through your house.

That's one of the first things I wanted when I moved into my house. A bathroom vent fan. That and also a garbage disposal. But I'd need an electrician to come over to install some sort of outlet under my sink because nothing is there. And that sounds expensive.

yea you probably don't want to homebrew install it. probably a couple hundred bucks for someone to put it in. but definitely cheaper than the in-floor heating the previous goon was talking about. i actually considered floor heating in a bathroom remodel but the cost was wild.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

In sink garbage disposal is a bad person environment hater device and should be banned.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Captain Beans posted:

yea you probably don't want to homebrew install it. probably a couple hundred bucks for someone to put it in. but definitely cheaper than the in-floor heating the previous goon was talking about. i actually considered floor heating in a bathroom remodel but the cost was wild.

Yeah I'm not about to do that poo poo. My house was built in 1948 I think and all of the wiring is original. I pulled out an outlet once and the wires were covered in some sort of cloth. (sorry I don't know anything about this stuff) Most of my outlets don't even have a ground and uh.... I'm daisy chaining some spike bars. If I have an electrician come over then I might as well have them do the whole thing but then that's a huge ordeal. I just want a god drat garbage disposal.

In sink garbage disposal is a bad person environment hater device and should be banned.

huh?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I'm in Phoenix. I let the house get cold and everyone just uses an extra blanket. But, a space heater was a good supplement for when our kids were little and we just wanted their rooms to stay a bit warmer at night. But if you're reading this, you're a grown rear end adult so just put a loving hoodie on and grab a sherpa.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm a grown rear end adult and don't have to worry about my dad bitching at me for turning the heat up. It's not macho to wear a sweater.

I have natural gas as heat. I'm assuming that's probably cheaper than electricity though.

Also, Phoenix? Dude, last year it got to -50F here. That kills people. lol

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I run a little cooler than my wife and I associate the sound of the heat with costing money. So I programmed the thermostat to my liking, wear sweaters, slippers, blankets. On the coldest days, like when it hasn't been above freezing for 2-3 days, yeah, it's heater time in the bedroom. I couldn't tell you if it's more or less expensive to heat one bedroom vs having the forced air on higher, but it's nice to have the control where you are. And some rooms just are warmer and cooler based on windows both losing warmth and sunlight coming in, or appliances in there.

So yeah man, live it up with the lil heater.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/life-pmn/is-your-kitchen-sink-disposal-environmentally-friendly

Its the worst option for food waste for multiple reasons and the only way the impact is neutral is if there are multiple layers of specific systems to handle food waste. Lots of places ban them already.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

I'm a grown rear end adult and don't have to worry about my dad bitching at me for turning the heat up. It's not macho to wear a sweater.

I have natural gas as heat. I'm assuming that's probably cheaper than electricity though.

Also, Phoenix? Dude, last year it got to -50F here. That kills people. lol

What is human comfort.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

You can pry my disposal out of my cold dead hands. I refuse to live without that convenience.

After reading the article really it's bad when food waste ends up in the landfill and it's bad when it ends up in the rivers (also sometimes via landfill runoff) so really kinda moot?

Washout fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 31, 2020

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Washout posted:

You can pry my disposal out of my cold dead hands. I refuse to live without that convenience.

After reading the article really it's bad when food waste ends up in the landfill and it's bad when it ends up in the rivers (also sometimes via landfill runoff) so really kinda moot?

I've got well and septic so I'm not exactly sure where my septic tank contents go when it gets pumped every 7~ years. The best thing to do with your food is compost what you can.

Composting owns.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
We compost at the home level (we have a compost thing) and at the municipal level. The latter will take pizza boxes, takeout boxes, and lawn debris. We have a garbage disposal because it came with the place.

I've noticed everywhere I've lived without a insinkerator has had such delicate plumbing that a shelled pea slipping by the strainer resulted in black water shooting up from all the toilets in the house.

On the topic of space heaters, my kid took over my basement office for plague-school. I swear the house's foundation can reach up through the padding and carpet and just leeches the warmth straight from your feet in that room. She's got Kirkland wool socks on, one of those sherpa wizard robes from the 'Co, and a blanket... but the little vornado heater helps take the chill off at 8:30 in the morning.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

SirPablo posted:

I'm in Phoenix. I let the house get cold and everyone just uses an extra blanket. But, a space heater was a good supplement for when our kids were little and we just wanted their rooms to stay a bit warmer at night. But if you're reading this, you're a grown rear end adult so just put a loving hoodie on and grab a sherpa.

>Phoenix
>Cold
Just lmao as someone living in the upper Midwest. You have no idea what cold actually is

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Deserts get cold at night.

No, not Chiberia, but a good chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/life-pmn/is-your-kitchen-sink-disposal-environmentally-friendly

Its the worst option for food waste for multiple reasons and the only way the impact is neutral is if there are multiple layers of specific systems to handle food waste. Lots of places ban them already.

That's not what that article says at all. Not even similar.

I live in an apartment that forbids composting and we're too far out from the Orlando to do it centrally, but our water runs through the city and the city bioprocesses some of its dry wastewater sludge and dehydrates and burns the rest. The garbage disposal is our best and only option, but it's still not bad.