Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Ticwatch may be the only alternative? New Pro 3 looks good if you like the styling and size

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

That doesn't leave a whole lot of the market since they are vitually all fossil group watches.

They are all built to be disposable anyways. My take on it is if your watch can't be disassembled via screws and is instead glued together, it's disposable because those tiny 300-500mah cells are going to barely last 18 months before they start flaking out and they watch needs to be easily disassembled to replace them.

This is one of the things I really like about the galaxy watches. Screws and good old rubber seals.

Well, that and Qi charging (mostly, even if it doesn't work on most Qi chargers.)

You aren't wrong that they're disposable but needing to dispose of it four months after purchase is an expensive consumable.

Right now I'm using my wife's old Asus Zenwatch 2 and honestly if it had a higher res screen and an ambient light sensor it'd be perfect.

As for Fossils being the only choice, that's not true. There's Mobvoi and their Ticwatches (though I don't like the look of the new 4100-powered Pro) and a couple others here and there. Hopefully someone will make a 4100+ watch eventually (maybe? please?). It would be nice to have a replaceable battery though, that's for sure.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

My fossil will be 3 years old next month and it still runs ok. The battery is still fine for a typical day.

I replace my phone every 2-3 years as well, so that's in line with my expectations. The disappointment for me is that android wear watches coming out today don't seem to be much better than what I bought 3 years ago.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Devonaut posted:

My fossil will be 3 years old next month and it still runs ok. The battery is still fine for a typical day.

I replace my phone every 2-3 years as well, so that's in line with my expectations. The disappointment for me is that android wear watches coming out today don't seem to be much better than what I bought 3 years ago.

The falling apart problem is due to the design of the 4th gen+ charging rings. The ones prior had charging pins.

And to your other point, they aren't that different from the very first ones. The Snapdragon 400, 2100, and 3100 are all the same processor with different board accessories. Certainly the ones with 1GB of RAM perform a little better but they're the same otherwise. The 4100/4100+ is a substantial upgrade but right now there's only one of the former and none of the latter.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I dont follow it that closely but found out about the 4100 today. Targeting the Ticwatch Pro 3 right now but its currently only available in gunland

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Well initial impressions of the Fossil Gen 5 are that it's much nicer than my Zenwatch ever was. I also like the Fossil faces which yeah, I really would hope a watch company could have some decent faces of their own. The biggest problem is that I got the dark grey steel color, which came with a steel bracelet that's comically large on my wrist. I tried to use a safety pin to resize it but the safety pin just bent and I don't think it pushed the link pin out at all. Fossil does resizing in store for free so I'm going to kill an afternoon heading to the mall, I guess. I ordered a silicone strap (not from Fossil) but it hasn't arrived yet.

I didn't leave my house super often before the plague and I certainly don't now, so I'm not too concerned about excess wear on it, but what do you mean by the charging ring causing them to fall apart? Like rough handling from the slapping the charger on?

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Humerus posted:

Well initial impressions of the Fossil Gen 5 are that it's much nicer than my Zenwatch ever was. I also like the Fossil faces which yeah, I really would hope a watch company could have some decent faces of their own. The biggest problem is that I got the dark grey steel color, which came with a steel bracelet that's comically large on my wrist. I tried to use a safety pin to resize it but the safety pin just bent and I don't think it pushed the link pin out at all. Fossil does resizing in store for free so I'm going to kill an afternoon heading to the mall, I guess. I ordered a silicone strap (not from Fossil) but it hasn't arrived yet.

I didn't leave my house super often before the plague and I certainly don't now, so I'm not too concerned about excess wear on it, but what do you mean by the charging ring causing them to fall apart? Like rough handling from the slapping the charger on?

So I had the same issue with the steel band and happened to have this kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0189YWOIO

Which worked perfectly for popping out the pins and adjusting the band size.

I bought two other bands too and use the silicone one most often.

The charging ring issue is that they start to bulge out from the bottom of the watch on the back, but I haven't had that issue. I'm very satisfied with the Gen 5.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I've got the issue where my rings are falling off. I need to get around to doing an RMA but it's not stopping the watch from charging yet and I've still got like a year and change before the two years is up

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Both my Gen 5 and Sport are still fine as far as rings go. Granted, I don't spend a ton of time wearing them since I'm not out and about much and my primary device these days is my Galaxy Watch.

My 2nd Misfit Vapor bit the dust though. Battery fault. I spent like a week with support seeing if I could RMA it again even though it was past initial warranty (but only a year since they RMAd the last one). It was the same issue, it got to the point where anything that drew a larger amount of power from the thing ended up putting lines across the display and resetting the device. It's actually at the point now where it can't completely bootup off the charger since the load will cause it to lose power and boot loop. However, even on the charger it draws too much power during the setup process and ends up rebooting before pairing is complete. So, it's basically done. I barely used the RMA replacement either, but it's still the same battery stock and I think it's more a matter of age than charge cycles.

My moto 360 2 is still chugging away on its replaced battery even though it really doesn't get worn anymore.

I would honestly do a big device purge and sell off the a bunch of them, but they are barely worth more than shipping now.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Humerus posted:

what do you mean by the charging ring causing them to fall apart? Like rough handling from the slapping the charger on?

Different device, but I have this OCD need to clean out the crevices between the back/front plates of things with my fingernail, like the crease where the front and back of a gamepad meet. I tried to do that around the charging ring of my Huawei Watch 2 and the fuckin charging receiver just moved, its merely glued on. No more wearing it in the shower.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Humerus posted:

On all of mine it's no rough handling, just one day the back fell off, or the ring stays with the charger when you pull it off, or the watch stops charging consistently without you applying pressure to the charge puck and then eventually stops charging even with pressure. And with the last "repair" it just doesn't charge at all. I'm up to five times now on two different watches.

TheDK posted:

So I had the same issue with the steel band and happened to have this kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0189YWOIO

Which worked perfectly for popping out the pins and adjusting the band size.

I bought a cheaper band sizer, one identical to this one, and it worked perfectly.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Any thoughts about the Tic watch pro 3?

My Samsung Galaxy watch two died and Samsung is refusing to repair it under warranty so not buying anything from them ever again.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I might order it soon. Looks to prob be the best current offering from basically any company as far as WearOS goes

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

It's easily the best Wear OS watch out there by virtue of the 4100. I'm not a fan of the styling personally and if you want LTE there's a version coming the rumors say so you should wait but if you like what you see seems like a no brainier.

I really dislike screens with a raised bezel but that might be a personal quirk.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Have we heard anything about any 4100 ones that will have qi charging?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Have we heard anything about any 4100 ones that will have qi charging?

We haven't heard about any upcoming 4100 or 4100+ ones at all except the TicWatch Pro and maybe its LTE variant as far as I know.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Nitrousoxide posted:

Any thoughts about the Tic watch pro 3?

My Samsung Galaxy watch two died and Samsung is refusing to repair it under warranty so not buying anything from them ever again.

Looks like the best wear os watch for now but I don't like its appearance. Edit: I may be looking at the wrong watch. Is the ticwatch pro 2020 the same thing? Black looks better than silver.

Also there was no galaxy watch 2, just 1 and 3 lol? Active 2?

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 30, 2020

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Looks like the best wear os watch for now but I don't like its appearance. Edit: I may be looking at the wrong watch. Is the ticwatch pro 2020 the same thing? Black looks better than silver.

Active 2, yeah.

I'm extremely angry that they are refusing to repair it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Nitrousoxide posted:

Active 2, yeah.

I'm extremely angry that they are refusing to repair it.

Yeah that's bullshit. Australia forces companies to fix or refund any purchase within two years with actual enforcement, it's nice.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Yeah that's bullshit. Australia forces companies to fix or refund any purchase within two years with actual enforcement, it's nice.

Closer to 5-10 Years; or further; recently had a nearly 3 year old device repaired and got a look at the internal documents requested under Aus Consumer Law; unless obvious tampering or wilful damage replace without delay or repair if possible

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

No one answered this but no, the TicWatch Pro 2020 is the prior model, the 4100 version is the TicWatch Pro 3. The main stylistic differences are a less prominent bezel (still has markings and numbers though), and more flourishes on the LCD screen.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Anyone have any experience getting work profile notifications to show up in Wear OS? I would hate to get the watch and then not have any of them show up because google doesn't know how to have it talk to the sandboxed instance of android

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Anyone have any experience getting work profile notifications to show up in Wear OS? I would hate to get the watch and then not have any of them show up because google doesn't know how to have it talk to the sandboxed instance of android

IIRC it's a policy setting on your MDM server, your admins have to allow it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I still have admin privileges since I managed our Gsuite before we finally got an IT department and it looks like the settings are what I left it before I went hands off. So since it worked before I think it'll work now... hopefully.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Looking for a new watch for my Wife.

She's coming off a Fitbit Charge 3, and this is the second one where the display has poo poo the bed. She had the Microsoft Band before that, and loved it. So now I'm looking for a new watch for her so she can discretely check her texts from her boyfriend.

Basically I'm looking for something about the size of the Fitbit Charge 3 or microsoft band, she doesn't want the big watch heads. I looked at the TicWatch Pro 3, and while it may be good for me, it won't work for her, just too big. Any suggestions?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Gothmog1065 posted:

She's coming off a Fitbit Charge 3, and this is the second one where the display has poo poo the bed. She had the Microsoft Band before that, and loved it. So now I'm looking for a new watch for her so she can discretely check her texts from her boyfriend.

Basically I'm looking for something about the size of the Fitbit Charge 3 or microsoft band, she doesn't want the big watch heads. I looked at the TicWatch Pro 3, and while it may be good for me, it won't work for her, just too big. Any suggestions?

The Fossil 5th gens are on sale (or were recently) and to me are way too small so maybe they might work? I've had horrible luck with their reliability and would never buy another one at any price, but they're pretty much your only option for Wear OS.

Given that there isn't a difference between the chips powering the 5th gens and any chip powering any other Wear OS watch ever, you could always look on Swappa for something old and cheap. Here's a Google Sheet with every Wear OS watch along with its specs that you can use to sort and filter by size.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I have several wearOS devices, but in this case i think I would recommend the 40mm Galaxy Active or Active 2.

You can get the original Active for l like $140 right now.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Gothmog1065 posted:

I have an amazfit bip u, and am happy with it. The screen to face size leaves a little to be desired but not having to charge for around 2 weeks even when do it gps walks several times a week is pretty nice. It's not a wear os device but I'm happier with it because it's 1. Waterproof and 2. Battery life is great.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My Ticwatch Pro 3 came yesterday. Nice bump in screen real estate, sharpness and responsiveness so far. Will update as time goes on with battery life and poo poo. Was at like 83 when I took it out of the box around 16 hours ago, 58 now. But I thought I had put it in essential mode overnight but possibly shut it down? I dunno. Still learning.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

i've given up on wearOS watches.. I"ve tried so hard to like them but the amazfit bipU for 60 bux covers it all and I'm usually like.. Hmm 30% battery when did I charge it last (usually 7-10 days). and it's waterproof so it just stays on me.

I can't use it for calls, I can't respond to text messages, the colors are limited, but it tells time, it tracks my steps / sleep etc. for my work related heath benefits rewards. I can read texts and mails to see if they're important or just bullshit and it works well for me.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Thats how I felt when I had the old Pebble but I couldn't go back now. Cool when little things happen like I'm out and phone left home charging, and wifi on the watch picks up and I can see notifications and respond to some. Or like taking a poo poo and phone is plugged in charging and I can respond to a text on the watch. I swear I can type better on the drat watch screen than the actual phone.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ticwatch 3 pro has been great, performance is night and day with the 4100 compared to my old Huawei watch 2. And the extra screen real estate is great. Battery life is nearly 3 full days but they say a factory reset after initial setup will push it further somehow.

One problem. Not getting Facebook Messenger notifications. Tried reinstalling the app on the phone. This is annoying

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Rumours of Samsung going back to wear os for their next watch are picking up again thanks to ice universe.

https://twitter.com/UniverseIce/status/1362697174694301700?s=19

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Can I ask for smartwatch recommendations here, or is there a more specific thread for that?

e: never mind, found the Wearables thread

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Feb 28, 2021

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ticwatch pro 3 has been great to me so far. Leaves little to be desired

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

codo27 posted:

Ticwatch pro 3 has been great to me so far. Leaves little to be desired

Is it pure WearOS or some vendor flavour?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Nope, pure. They do have their own health apps and whatnot

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

They also replaced the app picker for some reason.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm just not really enamored with the styling of it. That and performance of a wearable is kinda, eh, at this point since I'm not wearing a watch much because I'm not leaving the house much. When I do, it's only for a few hours at a time so battery life doesn't have to be great.

So, I think my fossil gen 5 will be sticking around for awhile alone with my Galaxy Watch 3 and I'll just wait to see how the space develops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Rumours of Samsung going back to wear os for their next watch are picking up again thanks to ice universe.

https://twitter.com/UniverseIce/status/1362697174694301700?s=19
$deity please let this be true. Samsung has great hardware but I refuse to touch a third-rate single vendor OS when the whole point to me is the apps. If they bring their hardware back to Wear OS it could be the thing to finally kickstart the market. Especially if their SoC division gets involved and finally forces Qualcomm to put more than the bare minimum effort in to the category.