Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Unfortunately we are coming from Oregon. Online school ends at noon there, so it would be one. By end, I mean, that is their time to do homework during the day, but he can do that after skiing just as easily. I mean, that is probably enough time to do a few runs, but it might be a little rushed. We are walking distance from the lift, so we won't have to drive anywhere or anything.

If he is done at 1 I think you can be skiing by 1:30 and you will be fine. living right next to the slopes I ski for 2 hours all the time. When you have a month straight you really don't need more time than that on the slopes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, I think you are right. His endurance is right about 2 hours or so anyway, so it might really work out. Now just have to hope there are not any large closures of the resorts or anything like that.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Yeah, I think you are right. His endurance is right about 2 hours or so anyway, so it might really work out. Now just have to hope there are not any large closures of the resorts or anything like that.

Seeing as we are at record highs and have a less restrictive shut down in Denver I can't imagine what would have to happen to have that be the result. Here is hoping for you though.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

spwrozek posted:

^ He is staying at beaver creek for a month so no real reason to consider driving to Echo and paying.

I want to say they close at 3:30 a lot but it might be 4 more often. Your only choice for night skiing is going to be Keystone. I can't recommend it though. They will have a calendar out soonish so you can see the hours though as it changes each day.

E: the cookies are at 3:30 so you want to stop riding then to get free cookies.

Also what time zone you coming from? if school is done at say 3 eastern he would be good to go for the afternoons.

Ah, missed that he was staying up that way.

Unfortunately, 3pm cookie time is cancelled this year :(

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/beaver-creek-cancels-cookie-time-resort-says-physical-distancing-is-impossible/

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

dox posted:

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/beaver-creek-cancels-cookie-time-resort-says-physical-distancing-is-impossible/

Good thing the skiing is great there... no cookies...travesty.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

dox posted:

That is certainly a disappointment, but luckily I rented a condo that has a full kitchen so I can make my own cookies, although they probably won't be as good.

I also really wish that we did not have a pandemic going on because I think spending a month there normally would be even more exciting and fun. But I just want to ski safely, and if things go well then I might do it again in a year or two.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I've only to beaver creek once and it was in the preview year before they officially opened, so it was really lovely to navigate.

Actually, outside of 2 days at Keystone my dad and I managed to tack onto a college trip to see colorado school of mines, I don't think I've skied Colorado in 20 years.

Gotta get back there in 22

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm basically assuming I'll end up pushing my pass back to next year with how things are panning out. I think this winter is going to be real, real bad.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

On the bright side, if you take this year off skiing, there will be less people next season.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
First snow at our NJ resort today so I'm hopeful. In other news, I've been hearing some rumors relating to the impact of a Vermont lcokdown that may affect ski resorts. Has anyone heard anything about a stricter VT lockdown?

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
i've been reading a lot of speculation about VT's rules, but nothing official. Lots of NYers listing NH as an option, when we all know thats masshole territory.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Yuns posted:

First snow at our NJ resort today so I'm hopeful. In other news, I've been hearing some rumors relating to the impact of a Vermont lcokdown that may affect ski resorts. Has anyone heard anything about a stricter VT lockdown?
I've heard nothing yet beyond just make sure to follow https://accd.vermont.gov/covid-19/restart/cross-state-travel where it's pretty much everyone entering VT except from few parts of NY, NH, and Maine need to self-quarantine for 14 days on entering the state. However, given that cases all around VT are universally going up, I could see them entering a broader lockdown to maintain themselves as being under the surrounding the states.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I'm stoked for more backcountry this year. Started 4 years ago with marker baron bindings and alpine boots, which was a nightmare, but still did some weekend hut trips and bigger days. Finally got my gear dialled last year and only went twice. But THIS year, this will be the year. I bought 8 days with a guide who does pre-work morning tours, so that will get me out and more familiar with the local mountains, along with a couple hut trips in Garibaldi that are already planned.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

I'm planning on just riding midweek for the most part. Sunshine's COVID plans are underwhelming at best and I don't have a lot of faith that people are actually going to mask up in lines given my experience at Norquay so far this year. Lake Louise seems to have the best COVID measures in place but they're also the furthest for me to get to midweek and I don't have a pass.

Yeah I'm planning on midweek only and with the new chair there is no need to use the gondola at Louise, so we're probably going to stick with that, two hour drive notwithstanding

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

Yeah I'm planning on midweek only and with the new chair there is no need to use the gondola at Louise, so we're probably going to stick with that, two hour drive notwithstanding

I didn't think about midweek, but with my current working situation it's not a bad idea...

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Bought some new boots (Nordica promachine 120's) and picked up a pair of K2 Mindbender 99ti's on clearance today. Will probably have to find a pair of better powder skis mid-season when it starts [hopefully] dumping.

Hype is building.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

SeaborneClink posted:

Bought some new boots (Nordica promachine 120's) and picked up a pair of K2 Mindbender 99ti's on clearance today. Will probably have to find a pair of better powder skis mid-season when it starts [hopefully] dumping.

Hype is building.

if they'd been on sale when I was looking I'd have bought the 99's too. I demo'd them last year and liked them a lot. Good find.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

That’s what I got for last season and I wish I had gotten them on clearance. Really happy with them so far.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

David Lesh is apparently banned from all US Forest service property, at least while his case is ongoing.

https://www.summitdaily.com/news/man-banned-from-all-national-forest-land-in-response-to-social-media-antics/

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

David Lesh is apparently banned from all US Forest service property, at least while his case is ongoing.

https://www.summitdaily.com/news/man-banned-from-all-national-forest-land-in-response-to-social-media-antics/

I can think of some federal land I’d like to see him spend some time in. His behavior is legitimately sociopathic.

Also lol at the subtle dig of “A part-time Colorado resident…”

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

[buys a new board & cartels]
you know what? i’m gonna learn how to ski this season

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Epic passholder reservations open up tomorrow, and frankly, right now, I do not need any more stress! Hopefully that goes smooth...

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Epic passholder reservations open up tomorrow, and frankly, right now, I do not need any more stress! Hopefully that goes smooth...

I probably will not even log in for a week at least.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Keystone opening day apparently sold out in an hour. Uh, not that you'd be missing much

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Keystone says they are opening tomorrow? Is that right, it seems like there has not been nearly enough snow yet.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
So I’ve never been able to sign waivers online because Vail’s website is a broken piece of poo poo. It just never loads my profile. Whatever, I always go in to sign and it’s no problem.

Except they’re not doing physical waivers this year and they have no idea how to get my online profile to allow me to do it. And their call center just hangs up on you.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Keystone says they are opening tomorrow? Is that right, it seems like there has not been nearly enough snow yet.

It's bare all around summit. Vail can crank out some snow.

Base of Peak 8 today via local FB group.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

That is a wild picture! I guess their snowmaking is really good, even then though, with the mid day temps being warm and not many freezing nights, I can't imagine all that much of anything being open tomorrow. Do they just do enough for a run or two so they can claim they opened early?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
This is at Breck. Gearing up for next weekend.

I honestly have zero idea about Keystone. In dry years they open their upper half, then make you gondola download from mid-mountain. I have to assume it will be like that tomorrow.

It has been way too warm here so far.

Edit:

Photo via a buddy. Very impressive.

Moey fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 6, 2020

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

My theory is that this is gonna be drier than 17-18. No evidence, just a feeling that snow is a thing of the past

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

When A-Basin left the Vail partnership Keystone invested an insane amount of money in the snowmaking system to try to open first/early in Colorado. Most years the resorts open with only manmade snow and, if lucky, just a bit of natural.

Open also means 1 run and generally not worth going.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Moey posted:

This is at Breck. Gearing up for next weekend.

I honestly have zero idea about Keystone. In dry years they open their upper half, then make you gondola download from mid-mountain. I have to assume it will be like that tomorrow.

It has been way too warm here so far.

Edit:

Photo via a buddy. Very impressive.

It looks like they backed off the edge of the curb rather than driving up onto it, based on the lack of tire tracks.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I started in line to book my Vail days 125,000th, and after going shopping for an hour I'm down to 80k in line lol.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

HookShot posted:

I started in line to book my Vail days 125,000th, and after going shopping for an hour I'm down to 80k in line lol.

I guess better than the site crashing?

I wonder if I wait to long I will get no days.... I am glad I mostly ski in the backcountry.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

spwrozek posted:

I guess better than the site crashing?

I wonder if I wait to long I will get no days.... I am glad I mostly ski in the backcountry.

I got all the way through only for the site to refuse to recognize that I have a pass and also have no place to enter my pass number at all. You know, the pass number Vail emailed two days ago for exactly this purpose.

So now I’m heading to guest services for the fifth time this year and I have loving had it with Vail.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

HookShot posted:

I got all the way through only for the site to refuse to recognize that I have a pass and also have no place to enter my pass number at all. You know, the pass number Vail emailed two days ago for exactly this purpose.

So now I’m heading to guest services for the fifth time this year and I have loving had it with Vail.

that sucks. I will let you know if it goes smoothly when I try.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Eejit posted:

Keystone opening day apparently sold out in an hour. Uh, not that you'd be missing much
covid, probably

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Internet tells me Keystone was top to bottom skiing, non of that crappy mid mountain gondola download. Good for them.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

spwrozek posted:

that sucks. I will let you know if it goes smoothly when I try.

Apparently it’s a glitch that should hopefully be fixed by tomorrow that’s hitting random accounts.

I have my doubts that it’ll be fixed by tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

no turning back now, covid be damned. i WILL learn how to ski this season