Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Klyith posted:

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

One of the Mozilla folks just posted about some navigational instruments in Firefox which I found handy, so I thought I'd pass them on.

not having the ctrl+enter shortcut to go to whatever.com always infuriates me when I use other browsers

I'd probably get decent use out of the *^#$% things if I could remember what they were. IMO they should add an optional expansion into plain-text for those. For example if I could say "github in:urls" or "zaurg in:bookmarks" rather than $ or ^ that would be waaaay more useful. Slower to type but far easier if you're an occasional user of those things.

Or maybe when you type a solitary ! in the address bar, it shows you the key for all the other symbols.

The only one I ever remember/need to use is the bookmark star *

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I’m afraid if I start using them, they’ll just vanish in some future usability update.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I've been trying out Mozilla VPN, and sometimes it feels like my internet is slower with it turned on?

Is it the VPN, or just my normal internet being lovely?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

SgtSteel91 posted:

I've been trying out Mozilla VPN, and sometimes it feels like my internet is slower with it turned on?

I think you just answered your own question 😛

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I think you just answered your own question 😛

Yeah, it always comes back to Comcast :smith:

Big Witch Hat
Oct 28, 2020

Megillah Gorilla posted:

This is what I use with Violentmonkey:

code:
And, of course, just change the width from 90% to anything that floats your boat.

EDIT: And, if you don't like the sea of white you end up with on either side of the forums, I use this script in Stylus to change it to a calm blue/grey.

code:
Oh, and the reason all the other lines after the background-color line are there is because sometimes I like to change the background-image line from "none" to a URL for something pretty, like a starscape.

If you don't think you'll ever be doing that, you can just delete them.

I use Stylish with this:
code:
#container {
	max-width: 1200px;
	margin: 0 auto;
}
Backgrounds in subforums with custom themes seem to work fine this way (though I need to get around to disabling some of those because a certain green-on-black theme burns my eyes). I noticed that I get a split second of the old layout if I use a userscript for applying styles.

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

The scientists' findings were astounding! They discovered that the powers of the Metroid might be harnessed for the good of civilization!

SgtSteel91 posted:

Sounds like this is something you can easily check yourself? Do an internet speed check (using e.g. fast.com) with the VPN on, and one with the VPN turned off, and compare the results.*

For what it's worth, I also use Mullvad's VPN service (which is what the "Mozilla VPN" is really just reselling) and I do sometimes get slightly slower speeds with it than without. Not really on the level where it's noticable during daily browsing, though.

* I should note that internet speed tests give you a look at your download and upload rate, but not other factors that might contribute to perceived "internet slowness", such as DNS resolution time. I'm not sure what the easiest way to check something like that would be, though.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Big Witch Hat posted:

(though I need to get around to disabling some of those because a certain green-on-black theme burns my eyes). I noticed that I get a split second of the old layout if I use a userscript for applying styles.
you don't like amberpos?

also, I get the split-second-of-old-style thing too, except I don't use any userstyles :saddowns: it's a bummer, but not enough to bother looking into why it happens...

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

SgtSteel91 posted:

VPNs are almost always slower because they add more hops, very rarely they are faster because they have better peering with backbone networks or evade torrent throttling by your isp.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

There are also the rare cases where the "local" server at the exit node is faster than your actually local one - github in europe springs to mind. Something about data shaping on 4g mobile networks also apparently responds better to the single stream of vpn data, but I suspect that to be mostly theoretical.

But yeah as a rule of thumb, sending all your traffic via a third party will make things slower. The best you can hope for is for it to not be noticeable.

Big Witch Hat
Oct 28, 2020

Ayin posted:

you don't like amberpos?

also, I get the split-second-of-old-style thing too, except I don't use any userstyles :saddowns: it's a bummer, but not enough to bother looking into why it happens...

I think I'd like it if it was actually amber. #00FF00 on #000000 on an LCD isn't pleasant at all for me though.

For user styles, I noticed I don't get the split second thing with Stylus, so I use that.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Ublock origin seems to be losing the war against twitch. What usually happens is every month or so you got ads for a bit then it went back to blocking them. It seems like it's been not working for a while now.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Jippa posted:

Ublock origin seems to be losing the war against twitch. What usually happens is every month or so you got ads for a bit then it went back to blocking them. It seems like it's been not working for a while now.
I'm pretty sure Twitch has switched to using EXT-X-DISCONTINUITY which is built into the HTTP Live Streaming RFC which means unless the video player chooses not to implement that part of the specification, ads are basically always going to get through?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

I'm pretty sure Twitch has switched to using EXT-X-DISCONTINUITY which is built into the HTTP Live Streaming RFC which means unless the video player chooses not to implement that part of the specification, ads are basically always going to get through?

Well that sucks. :(

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Jippa posted:

It's blocking twitch ads for me today, although it didn't yesterday. Last month's wave did take longer to counter for some reason, but I figure that's the cat and mouse nature of this sort of thing. Sometimes the cat wins for a while.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Freakazoid_ posted:

It's blocking twitch ads for me today, although it didn't yesterday. Last month's wave did take longer to counter for some reason, but I figure that's the cat and mouse nature of this sort of thing. Sometimes the cat wins for a while.

It blocks the pre roll ads for you? Click on a few streams.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

People keep finding workarounds for the ads and Twitch is patching them fast

They're even blocking the stream outright in some cases now if they detect userscripts are trying to kill their ads

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Perplx posted:

VPNs are almost always slower because they add more hops, very rarely they are faster because they have better peering with backbone networks or evade torrent throttling by your isp.

Computer viking posted:

There are also the rare cases where the "local" server at the exit node is faster than your actually local one - github in europe springs to mind. Something about data shaping on 4g mobile networks also apparently responds better to the single stream of vpn data, but I suspect that to be mostly theoretical.

But yeah as a rule of thumb, sending all your traffic via a third party will make things slower. The best you can hope for is for it to not be noticeable.

Okay, that makes sense

I've been trying to play online games with the vpn turned on, but that's been causing it to get connection errors

Maybe Mozilla VPN isn't the right one to game with

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

repiv posted:

People keep finding workarounds for the ads and Twitch is patching them fast

They're even blocking the stream outright in some cases now if they detect userscripts are trying to kill their ads

Cool, an arms race.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It's not like none of us didn't know this is exactly what would happen as soon as it was announced Amazon was buying Twitch.

It is so predictable, you can practically set your watch by it.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I just upgraded to 82.0.2 on Fedora and now Gmail is reporting my account is "temporarily unavailable" but I can't find a report of a Gmail outage anywhere. Anyone else seeing this?

I can still get to Gmail on Firefox on my phone.

Edit: I had to delete my mail.google.com cookies. Weird.

Knormal fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 2, 2020

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Jippa posted:

It blocks the pre roll ads for you? Click on a few streams.

It took a few tries but yeah I found a couple channels where ads got though today, plus one channel that had one ad I managed to skip when I refreshed the page.

I have also heard twitch is going full hitler behind the scenes, banning their partners if any of them have copyrighted audio on their streams, even in old highlights.

2020 still has some time to gently caress around I guess.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

It took a few tries but yeah I found a couple channels where ads got though today, plus one channel that had one ad I managed to skip when I refreshed the page.

I have also heard twitch is going full hitler behind the scenes, banning their partners if any of them have copyrighted audio on their streams, even in old highlights.

2020 still has some time to gently caress around I guess.

It's more that the RIAA is getting really serious about dmca poo poo on twitch. It loving sucks.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The stupidest thing is they're just telling streamers their archived content is infringing, without telling them which content, so the only safe thing for them to do is completely wipe all of their VODs

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
youtube-dl got DMCA'd too.

https://github.com/github/dmca/blob/master/2020/10/2020-10-23-RIAA.md

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

There's quite a bit of FUD circulating about this, and while I'm definitely not a lawyer, I'm not completely convinced it even is a DMCA, and isn't just carefully-phrased to make it appear as one.

It's also interesting that YouTube Premium offers downloading of the videos, and it's even more curious that RIAA would argue that Youtube/MPEG DASH, which is a mechanism for saving bandwidth and an alternative to RTMP for live streaming, is made to circumvent access controls supposedly relating to copyrighted material, when it is also used for completely legitimate archiving of liberally licensed videos.
It's especially interesting, since RIAA appears to cite a case which involves a German company circumventing RTMPE (which is encrypted - unlike Youtube/MPEG DASH, which only gets encrypted because the website defaults to HTTP over TLS, which you can opt out of using). RIAA also seems to think this decision in a regional court in Germany applies to all of the European Union, which I'm not sure is something American lawyers should be giving legal advice on.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Nov 3, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

There's quite a bit of FUD circulating about this, and while I'm definitely not a lawyer, I'm not completely convinced it even is a DMCA, and isn't just carefully-phrased to make it appear as one.

It is a DMCA notice, ie the thing that an ISP can be sent and take action on to remove all liability from themselves. It's not the normal DMCA of "this is our content and you need to remove it", but that's not the only thing the DMCA has options for. Like, way back when the MPAA was DMCA'ing the DeCSS code, this was the same operating principle.

It's an incredible reach of one with some incredibly dubious theory, that would be unlikely to result in a court deciding that youtube-dl is infringing software and the RIAA is owed recompense by yt-dl's authors (and potentially Github if they refused the DMCA). But by deleting youtube-dl's repo off github, MS removes themselves from the equation entirely.

The youtube-dl people could send a counter-claim, which would allow MS to restore the repo and maintain no liability. But part of a counter-claim involves "this is who I am, here's how to reach me, come sue me". The RIAA would probably do just that even though they'd probably lose (but maybe not, they'd venue shop like gently caress and there are a lot of new neo-con Trump judges). Even if the EFF and other people are promising legal aid, that's committing the next few years of your life to some major stress.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
Is it too much to hope for Microsoft/github to stand by their users here and deliberately reject the takedown?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

It is a DMCA notice, ie the thing that an ISP can be sent and take action on to remove all liability from themselves. It's not the normal DMCA of "this is our content and you need to remove it", but that's not the only thing the DMCA has options for. Like, way back when the MPAA was DMCA'ing the DeCSS code, this was the same operating principle.

It's an incredible reach of one with some incredibly dubious theory, that would be unlikely to result in a court deciding that youtube-dl is infringing software and the RIAA is owed recompense by yt-dl's authors (and potentially Github if they refused the DMCA). But by deleting youtube-dl's repo off github, MS removes themselves from the equation entirely.

The youtube-dl people could send a counter-claim, which would allow MS to restore the repo and maintain no liability. But part of a counter-claim involves "this is who I am, here's how to reach me, come sue me". The RIAA would probably do just that even though they'd probably lose (but maybe not, they'd venue shop like gently caress and there are a lot of new neo-con Trump judges). Even if the EFF and other people are promising legal aid, that's committing the next few years of your life to some major stress.
Yeah, this is unfortunately a good point - but the only saving grace is that the Streisand effect and/or Pandora's box that RIAA have opened will hopefully help in some way.

Dylan16807 posted:

Is it too much to hope for Microsoft/github to stand by their users here and deliberately reject the takedown?
Microsoft have changed from the EEE-happy company they were, but I don't expect them to when their own asses are on the line.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
in where Big Company still doesn't understand what general purpose computers are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUEvRyemKSg

this is almost 9 years old and it's only been getting more relevant as time goes on lmao

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Speaking of the Microsoft/Github thing:
https://twitter.com/t3rr4dice/status/1320660235363749888

Truga posted:

in where Big Company still doesn't understand what general purpose computers are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUEvRyemKSg

this is almost 9 years old and it's only been getting more relevant as time goes on lmao
If only that was true, but every single computer contains a myriad of proprietary firmware, in everything from the PSU, CPU, memory, PHY & MAC for the NIC, PCI bus, Southbridge, and everything, which most likely gets built out of a prior employees home directory because it is so brittle that even moving it causes the builds to break with error messages undecipherable by human kind.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 3, 2020

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
IIRC one of the big problems with the youtube-dl repo is one or more of their cli usage examples used big name artist videos. Something like "for example, here's how you'd use this command to download this Taylor Swift video". Makes it harder for them to argue the tool wasn't written to rip copyrighted music when it's literally in the readme.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The source is off of Github but the software's still freely available from their site, there was even an update last weekend. Just manually install the new version and the built-in update functionality even works again.

https://youtube-dl.org/

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Splinter posted:

IIRC one of the big problems with the youtube-dl repo is one or more of their cli usage examples used big name artist videos. Something like "for example, here's how you'd use this command to download this Taylor Swift video". Makes it harder for them to argue the tool wasn't written to rip copyrighted music when it's literally in the readme.

They're going to have to remove the code that bypasses youtube's rolling cipher so the repo will be pretty much useless.

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

The scientists' findings were astounding! They discovered that the powers of the Metroid might be harnessed for the good of civilization!

dis astranagant posted:

They're going to have to remove the code that bypasses youtube's rolling cipher so the repo will be pretty much useless.

Can't someone, y'know, just fork it and put it back in?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

dis astranagant posted:

The rolling cipher is not encryption of anything, and the RIAA is making a big deal about it because they got one regional court in Germany to believe that obfuscating a URl is encryption.

That's all it is, hiding the true video and audio URLs and the special string that needs to be attached to the url to get them. And most of the time yt-dl doesn't even use the bypass code. It just executes the javascipt that came with the page, exactly the same as the browser does. The code to "bypass", aka undo the idiotic rot13-level obfuscation, is only used as a fallback.

Siliziumleben posted:

Can't someone, y'know, just fork it and put it back in?

Yes, just not on github's hosting.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

The rolling cipher is not encryption of anything, and the RIAA is making a big deal about it because they got one regional court in Germany to believe that obfuscating a URl is encryption.

That's all it is, hiding the true video and audio URLs and the special string that needs to be attached to the url to get them. And most of the time yt-dl doesn't even use the bypass code. It just executes the javascipt that came with the page, exactly the same as the browser does. The code to "bypass", aka undo the idiotic rot13-level obfuscation, is only used as a fallback.

Yes, just not on github's hosting.
No, the German regional court ruled that circumventing RTMPE, which is encrypted, is illegal. Circumventing something that's called a cipher doesn't mean it's encrypted, because encryption for YouYube is entirely optional, and provided by TLS used in HTTPS.

The rolling cipher RIAA mention is Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP, a technology made by MPEG and very closely related to Apples HTTP Live Streaming protocol.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
EDIT#2

Okay, nevermind that last nevermind, it's not fixed... Going to post my original question again.

Alright so, I don't know if this is the right place to ask (is there a better place to ask?), but if I can be done I'm guessing it will be done with Stylish or similar which is Firefox related.

So lately Google has been messing with their Google Doc's margins, this has messed up a lot of my older docs that were formatted in such a way to use the full screen space on the monitor/screen, I thought by changing the margins of the page setup within Google docs ie. to landscap/tabletmode or whatever might address this, but it still doesn't use the screen space appropriately when viewed outside of editing mode, weirdly enough zooming out (90%, 80%, etc.) does fix this, but then makes everything small, so not a solution for me.

Is there some CCS I can do with Stylish or similar that can "stretch or pull" these margins out, to not leave so much dead empty space?

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 19, 2020

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

They brought youtube-dl back to github: https://github.blog/2020-11-16-standing-up-for-developers-youtube-dl-is-back/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Does anybody know of an extension that lets you 'lock' or 'protect' a tab so that it can't be closed with the normal commands (ctrl-w / middle click / click on the X) until you unlock it?

edit: Pinning a tab is similar in that it turns ctrl-w into ctrl-tab, but it doesn't do what my setup needs unfortunately.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 22, 2020