Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

GalacticAcid posted:

I am surprised hand cleared waivers, as this report indicates

https://twitter.com/mandybell02/status/1322297235833556995?s=21
confirmation that even the Dodgers are gonna cut this winter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Sucks for Carlos Santana, he’s been legit good but his option was something crazy like $19 mil that Cleveland just had no chance of picking up.

Pretty sure the all-waived/option declined team could win 60 or 70 games at this point.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/ckurcon/status/1322235201234345984

:discourse:

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

uncanny. what a weird sport

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bregor posted:

Sucks for Carlos Santana, he’s been legit good but his option was something crazy like $19 mil that Cleveland just had no chance of picking up.

He's a switch hitter who has always had well-above-average OBPs and 2020 was his first time with a sub-100 wRC+ and even though he's 34 I'd normally think he'll be fine but this year who the gently caress knows.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Is the league going to give every player the same lowball offer on the same day or did they fix their collusion algorithm and stagger them over a period of weeks?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/JSalisburyNBCS/status/1322248170752167938

Wait so how is Nerris still elligable for arb if the Phillies declined his option? If you sign an extension that has an option that overlaps with your final year of arb, declining that option puts you into arb instead of just making you an FA? If so that's loving bullshit.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sydin posted:

Hand clearing waivers is a *really* bad sign for FA's this offseason.

That's not even the worse candidate they're considering:

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1322024806821355522

If you're not aware McLeod is the guy who ran the pitching side of our farm into the ground for almost a decade, before being shunted sideways into a do nothing advisor position for somebody who (hopefully) actually knows how to draft and develop pitching.
I think they also interviewed Michael Hill, the recently fired Marlins GM who was never very good at his job

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/JSalisburyNBCS/status/1322248170752167938

Wait so how is Nerris still elligable for arb if the Phillies declined his option? If you sign an extension that has an option that overlaps with your final year of arb, declining that option puts you into arb instead of just making you an FA? If so that's loving bullshit.
Players do not reach free agency until 6 years of service time, period. They are free to negotiate multi-year contracts with their controlling club before that time. Doesn't change the basic rule that it takes 6 years of service time to reach free agency.

If you sign a multi-year contract that only covers arb years, it is by definition not an extension as it doesn't extend your time with the team.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 31, 2020

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/MLBBruceLevine/status/1322316240036220928?s=20

in case anyone is interested this pitcher does not throw to first, not a lot of people know that, joe

thanks for the world series though

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

R.D. Mangles posted:

https://twitter.com/MLBBruceLevine/status/1322316240036220928?s=20

in case anyone is interested this pitcher does not throw to first, not a lot of people know that, joe

thanks for the world series though

There was no way they were picking up that option, not with Lester's decline; he's a #3 starter at best at this point. They're going to offer him a $10 million "we tried" one-year deal and then watch him walk to, like, Atlanta or Miami while they trot out a rotation of Hendricks / Darvish / Mills / Adzolay / and, I don't know, Gio Gonzalez or some poo poo FA pickup.

Timby fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 31, 2020

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Florida's a good place for old guys I hear. So is arizona.

Really he helped bring a ring to the cubs so he's cool. That walk off bunt was his greatest accomplishment as a cub.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

if lester wants to come back on a one-year deal i'm fine with it, he's a shell of his former self and can't get anyone out unless the ump gives him an extra inch on the corners, but the cubs have said they are not spending any money so they won't be able to replace him with a better pitcher so it's either Lester or some AAAA org guy who didn't win a World Series.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Atlanta interested in Wainwright as next year's Hamels, sounds fine

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mustached Demon posted:

Florida's a good place for old guys I hear. So is arizona.

Lester lives in Atlanta and has made it clear he'd like to be closer to home. The Cubs aren't going to spend poo poo this year and Epstein has made it clear he's walking and transitioning the team over to Hoyer so they'll happily trot out a poo poo rotation and let Lester go back to the southeast.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

To keep Cubsposting, they were talking about trading Willson to save some money. He really improved his framing this year, and with his bat and arm I think he might be one of the more valuable Cubs.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

R.D. Mangles posted:

To keep Cubsposting, they were talking about trading Willson to save some money. He really improved his framing this year, and with his bat and arm I think he might be one of the more valuable Cubs.

Contreras was known to be on the trading block last offseason (and Bryant was very nearly shipped to the Phillies at the same time), but I imagine the Cubs are going to hold onto him because there's a non-zero chance that Bryant is traded, Rizzo walks and they need Bote and Caratini to take over third and first base full-time. Contreras has also, as you said, really improved as a receiver; a few years ago, Lester and I think Darvish absolutely refused to have him catch them and they were perfectly comfortable with him this year.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Timby posted:

Contreras was known to be on the trading block last offseason (and Bryant was very nearly shipped to the Phillies at the same time), but I imagine the Cubs are going to hold onto him because there's a non-zero chance that Bryant is traded, Rizzo walks and they need Bote and Caratini to take over third and first base full-time. Contreras has also, as you said, really improved as a receiver; a few years ago, Lester and I think Darvish absolutely refused to have him catch them and they were perfectly comfortable with him this year.

i'm pretty sure Caratini caught all of Yu's starts.

e: full-time first baseman Victor Caratini is so insane that even I can't fathom it.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Timby posted:

Lester lives in Atlanta and has made it clear he'd like to be closer to home. The Cubs aren't going to spend poo poo this year and Epstein has made it clear he's walking and transitioning the team over to Hoyer so they'll happily trot out a poo poo rotation and let Lester go back to the southeast.

That's a he could retire comment. Could call it here and not dissolve into garbage.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Lester could retire from pitching and come back as a Designated Bunter

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I missed Sogard becoming a free agent

https://twitter.com/mlbpa_news/status/1322340690014179329?s=21

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

R.D. Mangles posted:

e: full-time first baseman Victor Caratini is so insane that even I can't fathom it.

Ross loving loves Caratini. It's not outside the realm of possibility. I still think Rizzo stays because he's the Cubs' biggest PR personality, but I really think it's possible that he goes and we get Caratini booting routine grounders all year.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

working on my new SAS MLB Thread theory One Billion Cubsposts

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Rizzo will be reunited with Maddon in Anaheim

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
The new market inefficiency is paying salaries.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

GalacticAcid posted:

Rizzo will be reunited with Maddon in Anaheim

mlbtraderumors has the Cubs picking up Rizzo's option, which would be great for us fans.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I don't know GMs, I don't know who's good and/or available. What's the best the Angels could do here?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Wait for Albert Pujols to retire

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I am very excited for new owner Bobby Axlerod.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

bawfuls posted:

There were some pretty strong signals that he was clubhouse cancer in Cleveland, based on what people said when he left.
Well if there's one thing hedge fund billionaires are known for, it's NOT treating laborers like expendable commodities!

He literally announced he was restoring all team personnel salaries to the pre Wilpons covid cuts levels and starting a fund for seasonal ballpark staff.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

bees x1000 posted:

I don't know GMs, I don't know who's good and/or available. What's the best the Angels could do here?

If they want candidates with GM experience, Dombrowski or Huntington would fit the bill. Personally I’d love to see what Huntington could do with the Angels’ resources though I would be surprised if they hired him.

There’s also Luhnow of course.

My guess is it’ll be somebody currently in a low profile role in player development or an assistant GM.

https://twitter.com/byrobertmurray/status/1321984353690361857?s=21

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

davecrazy posted:

He literally announced he was restoring all team personnel salaries to the pre Wilpons covid cuts levels and starting a fund for seasonal ballpark staff.

The difference was like 7 million total, which is pennies compared to the free PR they could spin it for

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Just got around to reading Passan's article about the TLR hire. I had no idea he actually hired his veterinarian to be the director of the analytics dept in Arizona, lmao.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cubs officially decline Descalso's option (he has a $1M buyout lol Theo you loving dunce) and pick up Rizzo's.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Sydin posted:

pick up Rizzo's.

:yeah:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
thanks to whoever it was on here I can now no longer see or read anything about Trevor Bauer without immediately thinking the raw dog

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/Deadspin/status/1322663521662853120

loving yuck.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

davecrazy posted:

Lmfao look how easy it was for them to get you wow

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/jonheyman/status/1322714247521017856?s=21

:smith: he might be cooked after TOS.

I’d love to see them bring him back though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?