Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
What are some good magical girl shows to check out if I liked Madoka and Yuki Yuna? I also loved Sailor Moon and Tokyo Mew Mew as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

What are some good magical girl shows to check out if I liked Madoka and Yuki Yuna? I also loved Sailor Moon and Tokyo Mew Mew as a kid.

The Precure series is pretty good if you haven’t seen it yet. It’s basically magical girl Super Sentai with a bit of Kamen Rider and Dragon Ball thrown in.

Symphogear apparently is also decent but I’ve heard it can be a little skeevy in regards to its main characters.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Lyrical Nanoha

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Larryb posted:

The Precure series is pretty good if you haven’t seen it yet. It’s basically magical girl Super Sentai with a bit of Kamen Rider and Dragon Ball thrown in.

Symphogear apparently is also decent but I’ve heard it can be a little skeevy in regards to its main characters.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Lyrical Nanoha

Thanks, I'll check those out! May avoid Symphogear, thanks for the warning there.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Thanks, I'll check those out! May avoid Symphogear, thanks for the warning there.

Cardcaptor Sakura still holds up pretty well too.

As for Precure, the original Futari Wa (or Pretty Cure as it’s known on there), KiraKira, and the current season Healin Good are legally available for streaming on Crunchyroll.

Smile and DokiDoki are also available dubbed on Netflix as “Glitter Force” and “Glitter Force DokiDoki” respectively, however I would check out the subbed versions first as the dub cuts a lot of stuff out (and in the case of the latter some of the cut content is actually pretty important).

For everything else you’ll have to track down fansubs. Also, with the exception of Max Heart which is a direct sequel to Futari Wa and Yes 5 GoGo which is a sequel to Yes Precure 5 every season is completely standalone and can be watched in whatever order you please (though Hugtto does have some in-show crossovers on account of it being the 15th anniversary show).

I’d personally recommend any of the following seasons (though there aren’t really any bad seasons per se, it’s just that some are better than others and your opinion may vary as to which is which):

Splash Star
Fresh
HeartCatch
Suite
Smile
Go Princess
Healin Good

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 29, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

if symphogear is too much for you nanoha, will also be too much for you, lol

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Endorph posted:

Both shows are extremely good in their own (surprisingly similar) ways, but there is a question of tolerance for both. I'm not sure I'd say either is particularly skeevy in content with how it treats its cast, but the transformation sequences are... perhaps sometimes too long let's say at baseline. That's especially true for early Nanoha. Symphogear is better, for a highly variable given amount of "better". Extremely strong cast and action chop for both franchises, though.

For Precure if you're interested in the stuff that only aired in Japan I'll broadly recommend Heartcatch Precure, Dokidoki Precure, Go Princess Precure, Kira Kira Precure Ala Mode, and Huggto Precure. I'd say I'm harsher than Larryb is on Precure (There are some shows I WILL say I think are bad), but when Precure is on point it is an extremely good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

S1 of Symphogear also has a scene that's fairly assault-y, though it at least treats it as serious trauma and such there wasn't really any need to have it onscreen. Nanoha is about 10 year olds.

If you want stuff that's mostly missing that element, Magia Record is a really good spinoff of Madoka. It starts a little slow but it really gets good towards the end, and it plays with expectations from madoka in some neat ways. Rebellion is also a great movie if you haven't seen it. I'd also recommend wish upon the pleiades.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

S1 of Symphogear also has a scene that's fairly assault-y, though it at least treats it as serious trauma and such there wasn't really any need to have it onscreen. Nanoha is about 10 year olds.

If you want stuff that's mostly missing that element, Magia Record is a really good spinoff of Madoka. It starts a little slow but it really gets good towards the end, and it plays with expectations from madoka in some neat ways. Rebellion is also a great movie if you haven't seen it. I'd also recommend wish upon the pleiades.

Speaking of Magia Record, has there been any further word in regards to the upcoming second season yet?

As for my stance on Precure, it’s mostly because there’s at least one element of every season I personally enjoyed (if not, I would absolutely hate Happiness Charge). As I said, some seasons are definitely better than others but every show has its fans and detractors so it’s really better to just watch for yourself and form your own opinion

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 29, 2020

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

I've been watching Princess Tutu lately and having an incredible time with it. Gonna be one of my favourites for sure, perhaps you might enjoy it as well.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
holy poo poo there's a lot of precure :aaa: I will start... somewhere lmao. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions!

Omnicrom posted:

Both shows are extremely good in their own (surprisingly similar) ways, but there is a question of tolerance for both. I'm not sure I'd say either is particularly skeevy in content with how it treats its cast, but the transformation sequences are... perhaps sometimes too long let's say at baseline. That's especially true for early Nanoha. Symphogear is better, for a highly variable given amount of "better". Extremely strong cast and action chop for both franchises, though.

Endorph posted:

much appreciated, maybe i'll check out an episode or so of both and see if it's too much for me

Endorph posted:

I played the game a bit ( :rip: ) and wasn't wholly grabbed by it, but that might just be because I went in expecting more Madoka. I watched the first episode of the anime, seems like it diverges some?

Terry van Feleday posted:

I've been watching Princess Tutu lately and having an incredible time with it. Gonna be one of my favourites for sure, perhaps you might enjoy it as well.

:hmmyes:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Terry van Feleday posted:

I always hate that I never remember Princess Tutu. Princess Tutu is EXTREMELY good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the anime tweaks the pacing of the game's story in a lot of ways, yeah. if nothign else it flows a lot better with all the random battles removed (and unlike fgo's anime it actually removes all the random battles, lol)

my recs for starter precures are always heartcatch or go princess

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Magia Record anime is probably one of the better mobage anime in terms of adapting it's stories and stripping out the filler games use for fights/battles *eyes Granblue Fantasy anime*

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Magia Record anime is probably one of the better mobage anime in terms of adapting it's stories and stripping out the filler games use for fights/battles *eyes Granblue Fantasy anime*

Indeed, and I’m looking forward to the second season (especially since I never played the game). I’m curious if they’re going to continue dubbing this though as once Season 2 comes out there will no longer be anything to promote in the west.

It does seem to have a bit more of a Monster of the Week feel to it than Madoka did (especially early on) but it seems to work well enough.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Nanoha and Symphogear have content in their first seasons that sound like they may not be what you'd enjoy, Physics. Specifically, the former has kind of an extreme scene of physical abuse from a parent to their child, the latter has very heavy implications of past sexual assault on a main character, something they wisely never brought up again for them in seasons afterward. I like them both but it seems worth mentioning.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Larryb posted:

The only magical girl manga I can think of that have action sequences are Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, and Madoka Magica. A handful of Precure manga have been translated as well but a lot of them are more slice of life stuff.

Hm, drat. I guess it's more of a show genre, yeah. Thanks anyways.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

The Healing Good movie is happening in Spring and guest starring a familiar returning team...

https://twitter.com/Toei_films/status/1322131137288830976

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

The Healing Good movie is happening in Spring and guest starring a familiar returning team...

https://twitter.com/Toei_films/status/1322131137288830976

Well that was unexpected, I wonder why they're bringing back the Yes 5 crew all of a sudden though (and Bunbee better make at least a cameo appearance in this).

Also, since the next season will likely be out by then I wonder if the Healin Good movie will take place post-series.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 30, 2020

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Mlky Rose better appear too!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Mlky Rose better appear too!

They made a note she would be and her purple gem is in the logo. As I said above, I’m hoping for a Bunbee cameo as well.

Also might I add that the group actually looks pretty good in the new artstyle.

A pity they skipped Splash Star but I’m curious if this is the beginning of a new trend where an older team makes an appearance in the current series movie.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 30, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And confirming the above, here’s another picture:

The plot seems to revolve around the girls visiting a VR world where special necklaces can generate various holographic things.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 30, 2020

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Justin_Brett posted:

Nanoha and Symphogear have content in their first seasons that sound like they may not be what you'd enjoy, Physics. Specifically, the former has kind of an extreme scene of physical abuse from a parent to their child, the latter has very heavy implications of past sexual assault on a main character, something they wisely never brought up again for them in seasons afterward. I like them both but it seems worth mentioning.

Thanks for the warning!

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

I recommend Shugo Chara because its a pretty fun watch and is more like Precure/Sailor Moon as far as themes of hopes and dreams. First 2 seasons of Nanoha are good but the 3rd one suffers from pacing and a large cast list. If you are interested in older series there's Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne has good art style and story.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

StrilersS 100% has pacing issues but the fact they successfully aged up the cast and the finale is perhaps Nanhoa's best moment as a character makes it my favorite. Also Nanoha and Fate being moms get wrecked Yuno

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Started Heartcatch. Is this the kind of thread that enjoys live reactions?

Sidenote, I finally binged the She-Ra reboot and that was basically a western magical girl show and it ruled.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Sidenote, I finally binged the She-Ra reboot and that was basically a western magical girl show and it ruled.

Sure go ahead

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

SatoshiMiwa posted:

StrilersS 100% has pacing issues but the fact they successfully aged up the cast and the finale is perhaps Nanhoa's best moment as a character makes it my favorite. Also Nanoha and Fate being moms get wrecked Yuno

That is true. I guess I should have clarified in my last post that it is still enjoyable to watch but I felt that the character focus was a bit shallow in parts due to how many players were on the field. Seeing the characters older was done really well.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

I love live reactions.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

I am a billion percent here for live Heartcatch reactions.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Heartcatch episodes 1-3:

I already love Tsubomi. Not sure how I feel about her ditching the glasses for fashion-- seems like kind of a weird message, but I guess that's balanced out by Tuxedo Mask mysterious ninja boy wearing glasses, potentially also for fashion. My only guess to his real identity so far is student council president, by virtue of Tsubomi thinking both are super cute (also there aren't any other options yet).

I really like how the magical girl thing is the perfect intersection of Tsubomi and Erika's interests: fashionable outfit changes to save a big flowering tree! It rules.

I hope Erika doesn't end up suffering from the same thing as early Persona party members, where because they join up first their stories end up having less depth than later characters. It seems like she's a deuteragonist though, and I really don't know anything about her or her relationship with Momo, so I'm not too concerned yet.

Judging by the attack names, it seems like the person who defeated Moonlight was also a Precure. I wonder if Erika and Tsubomi will end up with a similar rift down the line.

Was not expecting the grandma to have been a Precure herself. Seems kind of silly for her to pick up the perfume and find the fairies and then be shocked that Tsubomi is a Precure too.

Overall really enjoying everything except the ending dance. Also what the gently caress is that heart seed animation :stonk:

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Fairy poop forever.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I think they trim down the animation a bit later but yes, in HeartCatch the fairies literally poo poo out the collectables.

Also, you can skip All Stars DX2 since this is your first Precure show but be sure to watch the HeartCatch movie as it’s sort of important for something later in the series. You can watch it roughly after episode 38 or so.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 3, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Voice actress Aoi Yuuki (Cure Grace), recently did a bunch of Healin Good fanart on her Twitter page:

https://twitter.com/staff_aoi/status/1324548292898779136

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also it appears that Healin Good will be 46 episodes long and run through February:

https://twitter.com/precuredolphin/status/1324930948169781248

The series movie has also been slated for a March 20 release:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-10-30/healin-good-precure-anime-film-reveals-title-march-20-premiere/.165768

Larryb fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 7, 2020

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Wonder if next season will have a shorter run, especially since there should be an Olympics break (if they still happen ofc)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Wonder if next season will have a shorter run, especially since there should be an Olympics break (if they still happen ofc)

I wouldn’t be surprised if they pull a Kamen Rider Decade and give us an intentionally shorter season next year in order to get things back on track.

I’m also curious if we’ll even be getting an All Stars movie next season since the Healin Good movie will be premiering in it’s usual spot.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Anyway....

Healin Good 31: We finally got a resolution to the zoo episode from last time. The power of all the Element Bottles came together to create the arrow. The new finishing attack is pretty dynamic, and the arc itself had a nice resolution. Shindoine also didn't die immediately from getting her new form, so that's interesting.

Next week: Another Chiyu hot springs episode!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Real good action episode and I'm invested into where the end game goes now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I gotta say, despite her being one of my favorite villains this season I did not expect Shindoine to suddenly become this important (the King just chuckling at the end is somewhat worrying as well). The new attack was cool though.

Also much like Darknest last season it appears Toei is currently hiding the identity of King Byogen’s VA. I wonder what the excuse is this time.