Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

CubanMissile posted:

Does Din have full armor or is he missing a piece or two?

I think he had the whole armor made? Didn't he?

And is it my imagination or does the body actor looked more buffed? Or was it because he is in full armor? (I have zero complains about it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I think his right thigh is the only part that doesn’t look new and shiny but I can’t tell.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

You know he did that in Solo, right? Like, it was kind of broken, but he still knew it.

edit: Unless that’s the joke.

I never watched Solo, but looking up that scene makes it come across as pretty ridiculous.

Edit: double post

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

howe_sam posted:

The W. Earl Brown Twitter thread about being cast in the show is extremely :3:
seriously, he's gotta be over the loving moon now that he can talk about it and it warms my heart immensely

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Episode owns.

Mandalorian owns.

Nostalgia is OK when it's done well.

Episodic-style sci-fi with over-arching plot is the best.

Show rules.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

text editor posted:

Olyphant's character clearly a movie fan, as his speeder bike was a modified engine from Anakin's podracer

I loved this little bit of callback. All the best callbacks in this show are little nods but not obvious if you're not a huge dork like Anakin's Podracer, or R5 being from A New Hope, the Tuskan Raiders riding single file, or best of all, how they used Obi Wan's scream from A New Hope as the base for the actual Kyyyrt (sp?) Dragon call which was awesome

Also - I saw that and was delighted, but then I wondered - did he pull apart Anakin's podracer or did Anakin salvage two lovely speeders to make his podracer?

The whole "mysterious stranger riding into town" cliche is so great and I love it and they go at it 100% in this show and I respect them for it, spurs and all.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Also when it comes to tropes and how well this show works episodically this was a perfect combination of

Western - two (or more) devil-may-care rogues must come together to fight a threat to the village and learn to respect eachother
Fantasy - a good old fashioned "town hires a mysterious knight in armor to slay the dragon"

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Still, the Seven Samurai episode would have been better with seven of them. Like in season 3 or something.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Davros1 posted:

He shows up as Dewey Crowe. Not a character like Dewey Crowe, but as Dewey Crowe. Somehow Dewey done hosed up big time and ends up in the Star Wars Universe. First thing he does is get punched by Timothy Olyphant.

And he has a "Heil Palpatine" neck tattoo. Because why not. =/

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

CubanMissile posted:

Still, the Seven Samurai episode would have been better with seven of them. Like in season 3 or something.

They can always re-do it... but BIGGER. Combine it with the Alamo trope or something.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Davros1 posted:

He shows up as Dewey Crowe. Not a character like Dewey Crowe, but as Dewey Crowe. Somehow Dewey done hosed up big time and ends up in the Star Wars Universe. First thing he does is get punched by Timothy Olyphant.

Man you got my hopes up.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
I'm guessing we get that last shot resolved in the next episode. I'm curious how it'll go down considering that Boba's likely shown his face. He may have answers but returning the armor might be culturally problematic. Heck, he may not have a rightful claim to it anyways if he just took it from ol' dad-clone. Hopefully we'll see a bit more of 'The Way' spelled out.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Big fan of spaghetti westerns so I really appreciate this show leaning into that feel like it does. It understands what made Star Wars cool too.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
New Mandalorian owns

Did Boba Fett find Melinda May in the desert?

Are they gonna be a murder friends duo?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

This is not the best show in the world by conventional standards but it is so goddamn fun and exactly why I got into Star Wars.

They’re nailing this show in the ways that really matter to me.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I enjoyed that way more than I've enjoyed the sequel movies.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

Darth Brooks posted:

I enjoyed that way more than I've enjoyed the sequel movies.

I mean, it's Disney applying the Marvel formula properly to Star Wars. "What if Star Wars - but a Western?" It's the same reason Disney's best Star Wars movie was Rogue One. "What if Star Wars - but war and light espionage?"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Erev posted:

I'm guessing we get that last shot resolved in the next episode. I'm curious how it'll go down considering that Boba's likely shown his face. He may have answers but returning the armor might be culturally problematic. Heck, he may not have a rightful claim to it anyways if he just took it from ol' dad-clone. Hopefully we'll see a bit more of 'The Way' spelled out.

Boba isn’t a practicing mandalorian, usually. It’s shifted.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

Tom Tucker posted:

Also - I saw that and was delighted, but then I wondered - did he pull apart Anakin's podracer or did Anakin salvage two lovely speeders to make his podracer?

I definitely took it that Anakin's podracer was made from two lovely speeders. Just like he "built" c3p0 but we see the same base model of protocol droid all over the galaxy

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Even if he is, they can just say basically Deathwatch is Orthadox and whatever tribe/creed Boba belongs to is Reform.

The "helmet stays on" stricture isn't a thing with the Mandos in TCW or Rebels either.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Tom Tucker posted:

not obvious if you're not a huge dork

Yeah. You know I watch it again and I'm thinking that my real issue with the episode has much more to do with me being a huge dork than the actual episode itself.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

teagone posted:

No big! The Mandalorian AR transition was super seamless. I didn't notice the AR changed until the close up shot of Cobb. That's why I had to rewind it lol. I wanted to see when the AR started to open up. It's so good.

Wow, I never even noticed when watching. I went back to look when it happens...and just never noticed, even with the dolly zoom.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

Even if he is, they can just say basically Deathwatch is Orthadox and whatever tribe/creed Boba belongs to is Reform.

The "helmet stays on" stricture isn't a thing with the Mandos in TCW or Rebels either.

Also Mando's set like 30 years after Mandalore got the poo poo kicked out of it by the Empire and its people scattered to the galactic winds. That hadn't happened yet in Clone Wars and still relatively fresh by the time of Rebels. So I'm guessing the "don't take the helmet off" thing is relatively recent development and in response to the whole Mandalorian diaspora thing.

Well, the good news is that the same one guy is in charge of all three shows, so there's probably going to be a consistent through line between them once we get to the point of exploring it in depth.

Also, according to The Way, when you take the helmet off, you're dead. As far as the rest of the Galaxy knows, Boba Fett is dead, so if there's one Mando out there who's earned the right to ditch the helmet, it's him. Also the implication seems to be that he's going to hunt Din down and take his armor back, so maybe he didn't take the helmet off willingly and is looking to fix that? We'll see.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You know considering the Covert has a lot of former Death Watch members and Jango loving hated the Death Watch in Open Seasons, I'm wondering if the show does decide to make Boba Fett a recurring character do they give him some issues with Din because Din was raised by Death Watch.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Episode was good...

...BUT it lacked in Jawa-action!

I would have loved them to join in the Dragonslayer-Alliance, ramming the Sandcrawler into the beast. Also in the scene, where the Tuskan raises the pearl above his head, i so wanted a Jawa to run in, screaming SOOOOOGAAAA! and snatching it. I already heard it in my head, dammit!

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

bou posted:

Episode was good...

...BUT it lacked in Jawa-action!

I would have loved them to join in the Dragonslayer-Alliance, ramming the Sandcrawler into the beast. Also in the scene, where the Tuskan raises the pearl above his head, i so wanted a Jawa to run in, screaming SOOOOOGAAAA! and snatching it. I already heard it in my head, dammit!

...what?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Saeka posted:

...what?

egg

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Ootini

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Its Rinaldo posted:

New Mandalorian owns

Did Boba Fett find Melinda May in the desert?

Are they gonna be a murder friends duo?

He probably found her corpse.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Episode owned.

Still kinda weird that the last thread was hemming and hawing about the show becoming to serialized or “live action clone wars”, and now there’s a bunch of complaints that the second season seems to have committed to the semi-episodic format and narrow focus of the first season, lmao.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My only complaint about the episode is it needed some earlier instance where he used the stun baton, to remind the audience (or show a new audience) that was something he had.

Maybe that was used in the opening fight, I don't remember.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

My only complaint about the episode is it needed some earlier instance where he used the stun baton, to remind the audience (or show a new audience) that was something he had.

Not a stun baton, but a shock attachment on his rifle:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'd completely forgotten about Temuera's casting, so I was watching the episode thinking "Ah, so they're using this to finally tell us Boba's dead and gone"

And then the end of the episode happened

The remake of the Tatooine KOTOR mission was an interesting choice

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

He used it when he escaped from the Krayt dragon

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Chill Penguin posted:

He used it when he escaped from the Krayt dragon

Yes the poster is saying it could have used some set up earlier in the episode since it was so important in the end. I had no idea what he was using so just assumed some cool Magical Mandalorian Armor Nonsense which is fine by me.

Edit: a good example is the micro missiles (I forget the cool name) - they don’t set them up from last season but when e turns them on Baby Yoda’s reaction tells us what is up.

Tom Tucker fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 31, 2020

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

So are the Tuskens gonna use that pearl to buy Tatooine from the Hutts and return its rightful name of Jakku to glory?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Vinylshadow posted:

So are the Tuskens gonna use that pearl to buy Tatooine from the Hutts and return its rightful name of Jakku to glory?

Hahaha oh man I completely misread that and thought it was an egg and they were gonna grow their own dragon and go full Dune

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

really liked this shot

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

This show is still good. I am happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Like some people said, I'm so happy I forgot about the casting news. Because when Cobb took off his helmet my wife and I both audibly gasped we were so excited. Such a good loving ep.